Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,099 members, 7,821,799 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:40 PM

Ethnic Sentiments Eating Deep Into Nigerians. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Ethnic Sentiments Eating Deep Into Nigerians. (215 Views)

Pls I Am In Deep Shit With The Omooniles O Kindly Help / We Buy Scrap Inverter Deep Cycle Batteries Etc @ Reasonable Prices / Deep Gully Erosion In Idah LGA, Kogi State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ethnic Sentiments Eating Deep Into Nigerians. by Starpro87(m): 11:34pm On Apr 16, 2023
Ethnic sentiment refers to the emotional attachment or attitude that an individual or group has towards a particular ethnic group, either positive or negative.
It can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as cultural background, personal experiences, and social and political contexts.
Ethnic sentiment can manifest in various forms, including prejudice, stereotypes, discrimination, and racism.
It is important to address and challenge negative ethnic sentiments in order to promote social cohesion and equity for all individuals and groups.

My experience.

I have my cousin who has been with me for some months due to his inability to afford an apartment, yet, in Lagos. So he decided to get one around my area, fortunately for him one of my colleagues is relocating.

She decided to hand the apartment to my cousin, so we were invited for an inspection today.
After the inspection my cousin affirmed he likes the place but the landlord told us that he would get back to us in, at least, 24hrs. Disappointingly, this evening my colleague informed me that the (Yoruba) landlord has insisted that he's not letting the apartment to any Igbo person.

We can see where the country is going.

Who else has had similar experience with an Igbo or Yoruba landlord in Lagos?
Re: Ethnic Sentiments Eating Deep Into Nigerians. by Raf4: 11:38pm On Apr 16, 2023
Starpro87:
Ethnic sentiment refers to the emotional attachment or attitude that an individual or group has towards a particular ethnic group, either positive or negative.
It can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as cultural background, personal experiences, and social and political contexts.
Ethnic sentiment can manifest in various forms, including prejudice, stereotypes, discrimination, and racism.
It is important to address and challenge negative ethnic sentiments in order to promote social cohesion and equity for all individuals and groups.

My experience.

I have my cousin who has been with me for some months due to his inability to afford an apartment, yet, in Lagos. So he decided to get one around my area, fortunately for him one of my colleagues is relocating.

She decided to hand the apartment to my cousin, so we were invited for an inspection today.
After the inspection my cousin affirmed he likes the place but the landlord told us that he would get back to us in, at least, 24hrs. Disappointingly, this evening my colleague informed me that the (Yoruba) landlord has insisted that he's not letting the apartment to any Igbo person.

We can see where the country is going.

Who else has had similar experience with an Igbo or Yoruba landlord in Lagos?

I thought you people claimed that you had bought 90% of property in Lagos 🤔

2 Likes

Re: Ethnic Sentiments Eating Deep Into Nigerians. by Moh247: 3:50am On Apr 17, 2023
cool

Ibos are difficult Tennants and that's the gospel truth

Not all Igbos have such mentality but most do...

In my Landlord CDA meetings, it's an hidden secret nobody wants Ibos drama in the neighborhood

We have settled many dispute, gone to court over normal security levy, waste disposal and fees everyone pays, some secretly park out over money owed

I think it boils down to the culture of trying to be smarter than others... While this is good to be smart some over do it

However like 3 educated and rich Ibo family stand out in the community... They are very progressive, they contribute and also donate freely, they use their connection with Army and DSS many times and a better more educated people

Re: Ethnic Sentiments Eating Deep Into Nigerians. by Mynd44: 9:57am On Apr 17, 2023
The thing with not wanting to rent houses to people of Igbo origin is profiling and it is wrong. Someone people have had bad experience with Igbo tenant and told their friends, these have told others and make every Igbo person seem bad and it becomes a problem.

Some Igbo tenants are nice, some are terrible, some are checked. Same for Efik, Yoruba, Fulani etc.
Re: Ethnic Sentiments Eating Deep Into Nigerians. by TemplarLandry: 10:11am On Apr 17, 2023
cool

(1) (Reply)

Demolition In Ajao Estate Lagos | How Not To Fall Victims Of This In Lagos / Residential Land For Sale In Iconic City Estate Epe Lagos 15m Per Plot / Demand For Residential, Commercial Properties Lagos And Abuja Is Increasing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.