Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error (50142 Views)

POS Operator, Malam Umar, Honoured In Warri For Charging ₦‎200 For ₦‎5K / Abideen Olasupo Returns $2,397 Credited To His Account In Error (Pix) / South African Student On Spending Spree As Her Bank Account Gets $1m In Error (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by Revolva(m): 12:08pm On Apr 19, 2023
bennyflipy:
Mumu Wei go use like ten million inside play 2 odds, when e enter return their ten million.

Then go bank complain say certain amount of money enter your account.

He would have been ten million naira richer.

This is the best advise to do ....as a guy mab thay wont land u into trouble but if the two ods loose nkor wahala oooo that means the bank will say u don chop 10 milla out of the money na still jail
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by somehow: 12:16pm On Apr 19, 2023
michlins:
yes. 99% of the Nigeria people is about 217ml people in Nigeria are in hardship. Less than 3ml Nigerians are comfortable and rich

You pulled this stat out of where?
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by Timekeeper452: 12:21pm On Apr 19, 2023
Hedonini:

Funny. Like I mentioned earlier, thank God the money wasn't transferred to a knowledgeable crook. If he decides to buy btc for instance even on a kyc enabled exchange, and then sends to a defi wallet, and then from there converts his btc for any other crypto and then to another wallet, forget it. It's gone for life. They ain't tracing shit.
once a wallet ID is known , every movement in and out of that wallet is traceable that’s what you are failing to note. whether DeFi or KYC enabled , every in and out of that wallet is visible. So the moment you buy the crypto with that money, the trace starts being stored and left to who needs that’s detail.

You can say the owner of that wallet remains unknown if it’s DEFI, but every in and out of that wallet is visible.

I’m refraining from sharing more information, but the only way to spend that money is moving to a low budget country like Suriname and North Korea, and leave as much as no online trail, no IP address, no DNS , no nothing. Become a ghost. The day you slip up and establish a trail you are one step to being caught.

You can argue if the Law has jurisdiction where you as a ghost finally escape to, but that’s a discussion for another day
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by Timekeeper452: 12:25pm On Apr 19, 2023
Lordofalmajiri:

What about buying Crypto from a third party?? And probably transfer to a wallet outside Nigeria?? Omo forget law , they're so many ways to Japa with that money untraced
is there a wallet in Nigeria? As long as you are able to register on an exchange and buy crypto in Nigeria with naira, it means that exchange has an established or legal foot print in Nigeria and your KYC is subject to Nigerian authorities. What you should be doing with that money is living as less trail as possible . Or establish multiple trails with that money to throw the law off before you escape , and turn a ghost. But that still being said , you’ll be caught.

2 Likes

Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by DeepSight(m): 12:32pm On Apr 19, 2023
OneTemplate:

Please stop wasting your own time and that of others. What exactly are you trying to prove? This is how Nigerians have now gained a reputation for trying to legitimise criminality.

I have been civil to you, perhaps it might not be too much to ask that you are civil in return.

I am actually trying to interrogate a jurisprudential question here. And it does not seem to me that you have averted your mind to the full gamut of possibilities which may work within the mind of any random receiver of such funds.

You see, even under the British law you wrongly cited, one of the factors clearly stated for a crime to be inferred is that the recipient must know that the funds are misdirected. Has it occurred to you to ask the question - what if the recipient alleges that he knew no such thing. Odd as it might sound to you, there are those who believe in miracles of that nature. And even if you and I might find such silly the UK law placed it's emphasis on what the recipient knows, not on what anyone else knows or presumes. Furthermore there are people who could presume misdirected funds to be a random act of charity and there will even be those who may tell you they were expecting a similar payment from another source and assumed the funds to be such. At all events all kinds of scenarios abound in the minds of millions of different people.

Even though it's not important to say it, I am a lawyer of 20 years standing at the bar. I know why I ask what I ask. I am interrogating a principle.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by michlins(m): 12:32pm On Apr 19, 2023
somehow:

You pulled this stat out of where?
131ml living in dimensional poverty according to this administration. The people living above poverty are still there but they're not wealthy yet
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by oxiide22(m): 12:40pm On Apr 19, 2023
Sleekfingers:

Why you guys like begging up and down online?
I am sorry sir things are hard I no get work wanna start sth
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by Nobody: 12:46pm On Apr 19, 2023
DeepSight:

I have been civil to you, perhaps it might not be too much to ask that you are civil in return.

I am actually trying to interrogate a jurisprudential question here. And it does not seem to me that you have averted your mind to the full gamut of possibilities which may work within the mind of any random receiver of such funds.

You see, even under the British law you wrongly cited, one of the factors clearly stated for a crime to be inferred is that the recipient must know that the funds are misdirected. Has it occurred to you to ask the question - what if the recipient alleges that he knew no such thing. Odd as it might sound to you, there are those who believe in miracles of that nature. And even if you and I might find such silly the UK law placed it's emphasis on what the recipient knows, not on what anyone else knows or presumes. Furthermore there are people who could presume misdirected funds to be a random act of charity and there will even be those who may tell you they were expecting a similar payment from another source and assumed the funds to be such. At all events all kinds of scenarios abound in the minds of millions of different people.

Even though it's not important to say it, I am a lawyer of 20 years standing at the bar. I know why I ask what I ask. I am interrogating a principle.

Thank you.

Ok. I will be civil in return. I may not be a lawyer and lack your expert knowledge or experience but I believe there is enough real convictions and arrest in Nigerian that shows the law treats it as a criminal offence to spend money you know was transferred to you account erroneously.

Not interested in any back and forth with you so let me even agree with you that you are right and more knowledgeable than me, EFCC etal. What is shown below, daily reality of Nigeria, is wrong and you alone know best.

EFCC is a national crime-fighting entity. We should assume it is so patently incompetent to the extent it has no recourse to lawyers as knowledgeable as you before proceeding on the 'illegal' jamboree shown below abi? Only you know it all right?

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/506704-efcc-arraigns-man-for-spending-n20-million-mistakenly-credited-to-his-account.html?tztc=1

Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by oxiide22(m): 12:55pm On Apr 19, 2023
OneTemplate:

Ok. I will be civil in return. I may not be a lawyer and lack your expertise knowledge or experience but since believe there is enough enough real conviction a d arrest in Nigerian that shows the law treats it as a criminal offence qhe you spend money you know now was transferred to you account but not meritpriously.

Not interested in any back and forth with you so let me even agree with you that you are right and more knowledgeable than me, EFCC and co while what is shown below continues to be daily reality of Nigeria.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/506704-efcc-arraigns-man-for-spending-n20-million-mistakenly-credited-to-his-account.html?tztc=1

hello sir
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by Nobody: 12:56pm On Apr 19, 2023
oxiide22:
hello sir

Good day to you Sir.

1 Like

Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by kingsceemark(m): 1:00pm On Apr 19, 2023
Hedonini:
If the money was transferred to a more knowledgeable crook, then over is over. He for don change the money buy plenty dollars and bitcoin, then transfer some back to his mum (Hakimi option) through the aboki or other third party, thus leaving no direct trail between his account and the recipient, then used the bulk of his loot to japa through night bus to Ghana or Cotonou and from there onwards onwards to a new life. He would have weeks to perfect this.

Yoruba Muslim no dey think like that
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by DeepSight(m): 1:04pm On Apr 19, 2023
OneTemplate:

Ok. I will be civil in return. I may not be a lawyer and lack your expert knowledge or experience but I believe there is enough real convictions and arrest in Nigerian that shows the law treats it as a criminal offence to spend money you know was transferred to you account erroneously.

Not interested in any back and forth with you so let me even agree with you that you are right and more knowledgeable than me, EFCC etal. What is shown below, daily reality of Nigeria, is wrong and you alone know best.

EFCC is a national crime-fighting entity. We should assume it is so patently incompetent to the extent it has no recourse to lawyers as knowledgeable as you before proceeding on the 'illegal' jamboree shown below abi? Only you know it all right?

All I can say is that Nigeria is a place where anything goes and there are many illegalities perpetuated by authorities everyday. We have seen people arrested for criticizing the first lady. We have seen TV stations fined for statements made by interviewees. In Nigeria it is not unheard of for a fugitive's family to be arrested in order to compel the fugitive to show up. So please I will not easily accept the practices of Nigerian authorities as a golden standard.

If that person who received misdirected funds has/had a sound lawyer with the courage of his conviction, the story may well be different.

PS: I never said I know it all.

3 Likes

Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by mastermaestro(m): 1:06pm On Apr 19, 2023
OneTemplate:

And your mind worked all this out because you're a god-fearing, upright and honest man ba? I fear anyone that does not fear Nigerians.

It is not about Nigeria. You guys should stop abusing Nigerians. In your almighty America, some folks will bolt with this money. They only appear more righteous in advanced countries because they have tight law enforcements and effective legal systems.

Criminality is universal. sad

1 Like

Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by oxiide22(m): 1:06pm On Apr 19, 2023
OneTemplate:

Good day to you Sir.
did you see my request?
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by BnQoyyim(m): 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2023
Zonefree:

The reason he sponsored some people to lesser Hajj.

What a faithful and honest follower of the moon!

The followers of the Sun. and the Moon would never mind their erroneous way of life, living and worshipping.
Moon day= Monday, Sun day, Janus= January= two-faced Greek idol.
August= Augustus Ceaser- a Greek emperor, July= Julius Caesar - another Greek emperor.

So, know your Achilles heel before talking hill of another.
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by Nobody: 1:18pm On Apr 19, 2023
mastermaestro:

It is not about Nigeria. You guys should stop abusing Nigerians. In your almighty America, some folks will bolt with this money. They only appear more righteous in advanced countries because they have tight law enforcements and effective legal systems.

Criminality is universal. sad

I know criminality is universal but , for me, charity begins at home. Nigeria is the nation I care about and love the most.

I can only be critical of my my own people so we too can develop a progressive nation where most things, even if not perfect, work well.
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by Nobody: 1:19pm On Apr 19, 2023
oxiide22:
did you see my request?

Was it sent as a message? Will check.
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by Realestatevixen: 1:19pm On Apr 19, 2023
Viz007:
The bank staff who made the erroneous transfer should be arrested as well. There is no mistake when it comes to transferring such humongous amounts.

No, you're wrong. There could be a mistake. It's a 50-50 thing. If you have worked in a bank, you would understand that pressure can make you goof, hence, the need to be very meticulous when handling customers' transactions.
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by Bimpe29: 1:20pm On Apr 19, 2023
When you see something as massive as 280M, you really need to say something about that, particularly to the bank.
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by oxiide22(m): 1:20pm On Apr 19, 2023
OneTemplate:

Was it sent as a message? Will check.
yes i mentioned you with the message I also mail u
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by alezzy13: 1:32pm On Apr 19, 2023
Topmaike007:
From what I have read on this thread I will bodly say Nigeria can't be good again not possible again to be honest it can not

Omo I just dey weak ooo. 🥺🥺😫
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by sony01: 1:38pm On Apr 19, 2023
Policemen have arrested a Point of Sale operator who reportedly went on a spending spree after N280m was erroneously transferred to his account by a commercial bank.

The POS operator identified as Alfa Rafiu was arrested by the police on Monday in Ilorin, Kwara State capital.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the suspect is a resident of the Akuji compound, the Abayawo area in the Ilorin West Local Government Area of the state.

According to sources in the area familiar with the issue, Rafiu went on a spending spree after he received the alerts in batches some weeks back.

“But instead of him to draw the attention of the bank that mistakenly transferred the huge fund, he went on a spending spree.

“Rafiu bought houses, and cars and sponsored people to lesser Hajj. Although he was generous to several people in the community, some residents were surprised about his sudden wealth as a POS operator,” one of the sources said.

It was further gathered that the bank auditors later discovered the error and sent law enforcement agents after Rafiu who was arrested and moved to Lagos.

When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Ajayi Okasanmi, confirmed the incident.

“His arrest was carried out by the Force Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department from Alagbon-Close, Ikoyi, Lagos which makes it out of our jurisdiction,” Okasanmi said.
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by sony01: 1:45pm On Apr 19, 2023
This news is cooked news,
The sender of the money send the money to Kuda account of POS Operator and send the money in installments like 5,10 millions and the funniest thing is that the sender will call the receiver to confirm if the money sent was credited.
So the POS Operator hold the money for about four months before spending. So my point is that why arresting this man?.
The sender should be the one to arrest
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by oxiide22(m): 1:47pm On Apr 19, 2023
sony01:
This news is cooked news,
The sender of the money send the money to Kuda account of POS Operator and send the money in installments like 5,10 millions and the funniest thing is that the sender will call the receiver to confirm if the money sent was credited.
So the POS Operator hold the money for about four months before spending. So my point is that why arresting this man?.
The sender should be the one to arrest
how do you know this
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by PoliteActivist: 1:50pm On Apr 19, 2023
Zonefree:

Can someone please explain this lesser Hajj?
Is it like you go halfway to Mecca or something like that?
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by BluntTheApostle(m): 1:57pm On Apr 19, 2023
Konjiboii:
He could easily claim he thought he won it through sport betting and get off the hook, the real culprit is the bank staff.thats how they siphon money.

280 million through which betting site in Nigeria?

Moreover, the judge would ask him to provide the bet slip or the lotto ticket.

There was a case I followed concerning this matter. It happened in the UK.

A woman received double her salary. She honestly didn't know that it was paid in error. She started spending it. The police arrested her using the theft act. The woman said her employer had told her to expect a pay increase, and so she thought that was the pay increase.

She won the case because she had proof that she did not know that money was paid in error into her account. They actually allowed her to keep the money as her own. The loss was the bank's.

So, don't think any lie will fly. Your lie must be credible to win you the case. Otherwise, it is a prison sentence.
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by JpBiz92: 2:04pm On Apr 19, 2023
Like tinubu, like his supporters
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by BluntTheApostle(m): 2:04pm On Apr 19, 2023
OneTemplate:

And your mind worked all this out because you're a god-fearing, upright and honest man ba? I fear anyone that does not fear Nigerians.

It is not a Nigerian thing.

Anyone would face some levels of temptation if they found such huge amount of money on a platter of gold.

One woman in UK got 10 years after going on a spending spree when 17000 pounds was paid into her account in error.
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by sony01: 2:15pm On Apr 19, 2023
I stay in Ilorin, the man was arrested via Idi Ape Police station in Ilorin.
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by Topmaike007(m): 3:08pm On Apr 19, 2023
alezzy13:

Omo I just dey weak ooo. 🥺🥺😫
imagine them encouraging thievery and corruption that's to tell you that our generation will be bad than the previous
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by seglabsy(m): 3:17pm On Apr 19, 2023
Zonefree:
o le payan
Re: Kwara POS Operator Lavishes N280m Received In Error by seglabsy(m): 3:23pm On Apr 19, 2023
OneTemplate:

You can't arrest folks for mistakes.that fall under job incompetence. At worst you sack them. What the POS operator did is criminal and he was rightly arrested.
criminal?where is it stated in the constitution that whenever they send money to ur account,u should not spend it?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Husband Joins Wife To Sell Akara In Abuja / Dhgate Vs Aliexpress: Which Do You Prefer? / Guys, Let's Talk Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.