Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,473 members, 7,812,463 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:47 PM

3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 (80897 Views)

Ussd Codes For Nigerian Banks / Nigerian Banks Stop ATM Cash Withdrawal Abroad / How You Could Lose Access To Your Money In Nigerian Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by nlfpmod: 12:58pm On Apr 19, 2023
Nigerian banks are repositioning for more significant impacts, better product offerings, and higher returns on investment.

Apart from announcing several changes, the banks moved to solidify their leadership positions by changing names, branding, and operational structures.

Nigerian banks seek new frontiers and new profits

Earlier in March, one of Nigeria’s leading banks, Zenith Bank, announced that it was rebranding into a Holding Company known as Zenith Holding Co.

The bank said the move is to reposition it to compete favorably in the industry and serve its customers better.

Zenith Bank said it had received approval in principle from the Central Bank of Nigeria to restructure and operate as a financial holding company.

The company revealed plans to change its organizational structure in a statement signed by the Company Secretary, Michael Otu, on Friday, March 3, 2023, and submitted to the Nigerian Exchange.

With this change, the organization will have a banking subsidiary and other subsidiaries in the financial services sector.

Sterling Bank joins the fray, splits into two

In April, Sterling Bank Plc announced that it had completed an essential step in its ongoing efforts to shift from a financial institution to a holding company. The bank said the move is in line with the delisting, transfer, and relisting of all shares to the Sterling Financial Holding Company on the floor of the Nigerian Exchange.

Per a statement by the firm, the relisting shows another significant development in the ongoing transition, which the bank’s shareholders unanimously approve. As ratified by the Nigerian Exchange, the bank stated that this move follows approval in principle for it to operate as a Holding Company by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

The bank will convert to a non-operating financial holding firm as approved by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and is expected to enable it to diversify its investment portfolio, expanding its presence in the financial markets.

Punch reports that upon completion of the transition, Sterling Holdings Company would begin operations with two banking subsidiaries, one operating as a conventional commercial bank and the other as the Alternative Bank Limited, which will operate as a non-interest bank.

First Bank changes name

And most recently, Nigeria’s oldest bank, First Bank, announced a corporate name change for its African subsidiaries. According to a statement by the bank, the name change aligns with the subsidiaries of the parent brand and enjoys the strong heritage and brand equity built by FirstBank Nigeria in its 129 years of existence and industry leadership.

Punch reports that the name change affects its operations in several African countries where it has its presence. The bank named the first set of subsidiaries affecting the name alignment as FBNBank UK, FBNBank Sierra Leone, FBNBank Gambia, and FBNBank DRC.

Per the statement, the subsidiaries would be addressed as FirstBank UK, FirstBank Sierra Leon, FirstBank Gambia, and FirstBank DRC. While the banks’ change of names does not affect their core operations and responsibilities, it will affect public perceptions and customers’ acceptance.

The banks joined other banks that have significantly rebranded and repositioned in Nigeria.

https://www.legit.ng/business-economy/industry/1530761-complete-list-nigerian-banks-names-cbn-approval/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by Tntsi: 1:02pm On Apr 19, 2023
Let the change of name metamorphos into more efficient bank services. That is what we crave for.

142 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by FalseProphet1(m): 1:04pm On Apr 19, 2023
I see Buhari changing his name before handing over, I see some states in Nigeria changing their names as well, I see Seun changing his name to Obinna, I see mynd44 changing his name to abubaka, I see Nairaland bearing a new name. It's the era of change my people, change your names and surnames, so as to benefit from this era.

This I have seen.

114 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by eedimo(m): 1:05pm On Apr 19, 2023
Good for them
Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by GigLad: 1:05pm On Apr 19, 2023
Seriously? All of them are useless normally!

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by inoki247: 1:05pm On Apr 19, 2023
Lol so in one word People using Sterling Bank will be having two Account Number at the Same time....

Abeg aw Sterling bank customer go take know which Faction dem dey like this Wahala too much for this country....

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by Franchise21(m): 1:05pm On Apr 19, 2023
OK

1 Like

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by Mumusaphire: 1:05pm On Apr 19, 2023
Let change Nigeria name also. Or let split it.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by NaijaCover(m): 1:05pm On Apr 19, 2023
Good For Them

Nigeria Bank Don Show Me BAD NEWS

1 Like

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by vision2050: 1:06pm On Apr 19, 2023
Good luck to them

2 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by paparazi232(m): 1:06pm On Apr 19, 2023
There should work on their network not only by changing names, most especially zenith bank

11 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by Nwadu: 1:06pm On Apr 19, 2023
A change of name sometimes can be a change of destiny....

2 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by seunny4lif(m): 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2023
There was time of Oceanic Bank, Intercontinental bank
Can't remember most of there names again

12 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by Lanre4uonly(m): 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2023
Ok, noted.
Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by obailala(m): 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2023
Just a case of greedy CEOs not wanting to step aside...

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by ThatrealestApex: 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2023
C
Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by KensonAbule(m): 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2023
I don't care what they're changing to, but make my change no loss

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by Triangles1(m): 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2023
Let Nigeria also split.

4 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by GODWINLOWSKI: 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2023
Sterling should change their name to Homonyash fc. Like their Chelsea mentor
Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by BarrElChapo(m): 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2023
Same old shit, different names 😂😂

3 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by Lionelbhass(m): 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2023
Change of name, same problem.
SMH😒

3 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by IyaTola: 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2023
grin

1 Like

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by ignis: 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2023
Sterling Bank always looking like where they sell ice-cream.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by Abolodje: 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2023
I nor understand wetin I just read abeg

1 Like

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by BlueRayDick: 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2023
Sensational headline. Anybody who didn't read the body of the post would think the banks changed their names completely and not that they only catch on the new trend of banks having HOLD-CO

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by Nawttiboi007(m): 1:08pm On Apr 19, 2023
smiley adding more spices for those crooks who wants to wash their dirty money

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by NeoWanZaeed(m): 1:08pm On Apr 19, 2023
All these English..

Someone to sum it up for us jare

2 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by Nackzy: 1:08pm On Apr 19, 2023
what benefit is it to the common man

3 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by SleekyP(m): 1:08pm On Apr 19, 2023
angry
Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by slivertongue: 1:09pm On Apr 19, 2023
I hope it will improve services

3 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 by Nigga44: 1:09pm On Apr 19, 2023
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tope Awotona: Meet Nigeria's Richest Man In The US / GTBank Hit By Mass Resignation, Mobile App & USSD Transaction Failures / Forex Trade Alerts - Season 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.