Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad (1722 Views)

Move To A Better Country And Enjoy Life(photo) / How Young Nigerians Are Investing To Leave The Country / Canada Desperate To Stop Nigerians From Coming To The Country-SR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Dgrant(m): 11:51am On Apr 23, 2023
I worked at alongside some Nigerians and some British people at Wembly stadium yesterday for the Manchester city vs Sheffield United FA Cup semi final clash, which saw Manchester city knockout Sheffield United with a Riyah Mahrez hat trick.

I must admit that we, Nigerians deserve whatever stereotype we get from the other parts of the world, including from other African countries. Our behavior suggests that the Western world and other Africans are right about how they perceive and treat us. We can't keep blaming the government for all the ills we suffer home and abroad. We've let ourselves and the country down countless times and one of the times is captured in this thread. Have a great read.

Shortly after arriving Wembly stadium yesterday, we were given a small level of VIP treatment which almost got into my head but I was focused on delivering the service I was hired to do, whilst catching a glimpse of football stars on the ground.

soon it was meal time and we were urged to have our lunch before kick-off. We were directed to pick up a luch bag and my greatest surprise, I saw this Nigerian guy who was part of the team, taking more than one lunch bag. He filled up his bag so much that the bag broke and food almost pour out. Baba started stuffing his mouth with food so as to create space in his bag to take more food.

I spoke to him and others that were involved, but they were adamant. Suddenly another team member, a British woman turned around to observe what was going on. She was so irritated and said to another team member "that is how they behave, always scamming people and acting hungry whereever they go."

I WAS ASHAMED!!!!

I became so ashamed and I felt like disappearing from the scene. Some people that were involved in the loot became aware that they have been noticed and immediately stopped, but this particular guy continued and said "I don't care what anyone wants to say, I want to enjoy myself."

What bothered me was the generalisation that we, Nigerians/Africans are hungry and are scammers.

The Western world and the entire Europe want to keep justifying their behavior towards us and incidents like this will further validate their perception about us. We see how they treat us at airports, in the streets, random search etc and we wonder why? it's because we have no respect for ourselves and if you don't respect yourself, who will respect you? I decided to distant myself from the guys involved but to what end? we have same skin color and they see us as all hungry people and scmmers.

Well, we need to do better and change this narrative either individually or collectively by building self respect and value.

Anyway, congratulations to Manchester city, I hope they never catch up with Arsenal cause as an Arsenal fan, I want to see this premier league trophy holiday come to an end this season.

N.B: Please ignore my beards, barding and shaving isn't cheap in this country, it goes up to £15 to £25 per cut and sometime more, depending on where you live. Na to buy clipper begin cut myself.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Jerryherd: 11:56am On Apr 23, 2023
cool

Greed isn't perculiar to Nigerians alone, we just seem lousy about it

Go to a normal Buffett where you pick all what you want and can eat... Many would approach the table with manners and decorum, while the lousy one would make a scene

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Nobody: 12:03pm On Apr 23, 2023
Interesting...
Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Creamypie(m): 12:10pm On Apr 23, 2023
Dgrant:
I worked at alongside some Nigerians and some British people at Wembly stadium yesterday for the Manchester city vs Sheffield United FA Cup semi final clash, which saw Manchester city knockout Sheffield United with a Riyah Mahrez hat trick.

I must admit that we, Nigerians deserve whatever stereotype we get from the other parts of the world, including from other African countries. Our behavior suggests that the Western world and other Africans are right about how they perceive and treat us. We can't keep blaming the government for all the ills we suffer home and abroad. We've let ourselves and the country down countless times and one of the times is captured in this thread. Have a great read.

Shortly after arriving Wembly stadium yesterday, we were given a small level of VIP treatment which almost got into my head but I was focused on delivering the service I was hired to do, whilst catching a glimpse of football stars on the ground.

soon it was meal time and we were urged to have our lunch before kick-off. We were directed to pick up a luch bag and my greatest surprise, I saw this Nigerian guy who was part of the team, taking more than one lunch bag. He filled up his bag so much that the bag broke and food almost pour out. Baba started stuffing his mouth with food so as to create space in his bag to take more food.

I spoke to him and others that were involved, but they were adamant. Suddenly another team member, a British woman turned around to observe what was going on. She was so irritated and said to another team member "that is how they behave, always scamming people and acting hungry whereever they go."

I WAS ASHAMED!!!!

I became so ashamed and I felt like disappearing from the scene. Some people that were involved in the loot became aware that they have been noticed and immediately stopped, but this particular guy continued and said "I don't care what anyone wants to say, I want to enjoy myself."

What bothered me was the generalisation that we, Nigerians/Africans are hungry and are scammers.

The Western world and the entire Europe want to keep justifying their behavior towards us and incidents like this will further validate their perception about us. We see how they treat us at airports, in the streets, random search etc and we wonder why? it's because we have no respect for ourselves and if you don't respect yourself, who will respect you? I decided to distant myself from the guys involved but to what end? we have same skin color and they see us as all hungry people and scmmers.

Well, we need to do better and change this narrative either individually or collectively by building self respect and value.

Anyway, congratulations to Manchester city, I hope they never catch up with Arsenal cause as an Arsenal fan, I want to see this premier league trophy holiday come to an end this season.

N.B: Please ignore my beards, barding and shaving isn't cheap in this country, it goes up to £15 to £25 per cut and sometime more, depending on where you live. Na to buy clipper begin cut myself.
na so some of our people dey over Mumu themselves oh. A friend of mine in u.k and some naija were invited for Dinner by a white lady. As she pass dishes, go kitchen to bring an equipment, na so them rush food, put inside containers them carry along, with bare hands. She was pissed by the time she came out from kitchen, she come quickly arrange another one wey them go eat there. It was so shameful. U for just kuma buy mini clipper nah, as e be say e costly to shave beards

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by phorget(m): 12:14pm On Apr 23, 2023
Creamypie:
na so some of our people dey over Mumu themselves oh. A friend of mine in u.k and some naija were invited for Dinner by a white lady. As she pass dishes, go kitchen to bring an equipment, na so them rush food, put inside containers them carry along, with bare hands. She was pissed by the time she came out from kitchen, she come quickly arrange another one wey them go eat there. It was so shameful. Unit just kuma buy clipper nah, as e be say e costly to shave beards

Nah make I quickly go learn barbing o so I go fit dey razzle rabba if i don enter that side.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Creamypie(m): 12:19pm On Apr 23, 2023
phorget:

Nah make I quickly go learn barbing o so I go fit dey razzle rabba if i don enter that side.
at least, average 8k per head
Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Akwukalia: 12:21pm On Apr 23, 2023
Dgrant:

The Western world and the entire Europe want to keep justifying their behavior towards us and incidents like this will further validate their perception about us. We see how they treat us at airports, in the streets, random search etc and we wonder why? it's because we have no respect for ourselves and if you don't respect yourself, who will respect you? I decided to distant myself from the guys involved but to what end? we have same skin color and they see us as all hungry people and scammers.
You did the right thing, just keep being yourself and upholding the good morals expected of you. With time, they'll separate the beans from the shaft

Thank God I am bald, na to learn barbing before I jakpa so that I will be barbing myself & saving money. Can't leave home to hustle in a foreign land then minor things will be taking up my savings. Mbanu
This morning I saw a tweet from Salako on how much he has saved since moving to Europe simply because he barbs himself, that's a good financial leakage plug

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by kingreign(m): 12:21pm On Apr 23, 2023
Chai!

Mogbe!
Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Zonefree(m): 12:28pm On Apr 23, 2023
A glutton is a glutton, regardless of their origin.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Dgrant(m): 12:29pm On Apr 23, 2023
I have made that decison and I will enforce it. I come dey barb once a month o! person go come dey look like Nebuchadnezzar. I don do my resolution, no more giving these barbers my hard earned pounds, team DIY hence forth
Creamypie:
na so some of our people dey over Mumu themselves oh. A friend of mine in u.k and some naija were invited for Dinner by a white lady. As she pass dishes, go kitchen to bring an equipment, na so them rush food, put inside containers them carry along, with bare hands. She was pissed by the time she came out from kitchen, she come quickly arrange another one wey them go eat there. It was so shameful. U for just kuma buy mini clipper nah, as e be say e costly to shave beards

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Dgrant(m): 12:34pm On Apr 23, 2023
Certainly, but it would become a cause for concern when your country man displays such gluttony on a world stage and they pain everyone from your country or continent with smae brush. Its embarassing, i promise you
Zonefree:
A glutton is a glutton, regardless of their origin.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by ednut1(m): 12:35pm On Apr 23, 2023
All this epistle for food that servers will will likely be thrown in the bin. We are not the only nation with immigrants . This article only does more harm to the stereotype you are complaining of

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Zonefree(m): 12:37pm On Apr 23, 2023
Dgrant:
Certainly, but it would become a cause for concern when your country man displays such gluttony on a world stage and they pain everyone from your country or continent with smae brush. Its embarassing, i promise you
But, did you try to communicate with him in our local parlance about his actions?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 12:51pm On Apr 23, 2023
Op grin grin grin

Aswear if these oyibo people loose guard, Nigerians will certainly transform United Kingdom into Ajegunle within a blink of an eye!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Dgrant(m): 1:29pm On Apr 23, 2023
Yes I did. Baba said he doesn't care about what anyone says. So I just kukuma keep my distance,
Zonefree:

But, did you try to communicate with him in our local parlance about his actions?
Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Dgrant(m): 1:37pm On Apr 23, 2023
There is something called an embarassing behaviour. That the left over food would probably be thrown in the bin doesn't give him the right to gluttony and embarassing the rest of us. Embarassing comments were passed and all attention was directed at us and for what? for the wrong reasons\. No matter how much food would go to waste, you shouldn't take more than was assigned to you. Could have have possibly finished all the food because he didnt want any of it to waste?

This article further exposes some of the reasons we are not respected internationally and one of them is lack of respect for ourselves and lack of value.

When we were younger, our parents often forbade such behaviors when we visited our friends or neighbours, why? so as not to embarass them by making people feel they don't feed us enough.

We should take out the key learning from the article are bahave better in public.
ednut1:
All this epistle for food that servers will will likely be thrown in the bin. We are not the only nation with immigrants . This article only does more harm to the stereotype you are complaining of

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by AImiron: 1:53pm On Apr 23, 2023
Dgrant:
Yes I did. Baba said he doesn't care about what anyone says. So I just kukuma keep my distance,
nah like that you go spot ppl wey collect lapo to Japa, baba no Dey eat well cos he's repaying loan, free Wembley food make him forget home training.

Well, Arsenal will go trophy less this season, don't get your hopes high. It's sealed already.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Dgrant(m): 1:57pm On Apr 23, 2023
There is still small hope my brother. Make we dey observe.
AImiron:
nah like that you go spot ppl wey collect lapo to Japa, baba no Dey eat well cos he's repaying loan, free Wembley food make him forget home training.

Well, Arsenal will go trophy less this season, don't get your hopes high. It's sealed already.
Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Jonez007: 2:20pm On Apr 23, 2023
@dgrant e no pain you like e pain me. The thing tire me bro. I was so embarrassed when I heard the Lady say that Generalising all Africans. It is well. PS I am the one behind grant with the dreadlocks pressing my phone. Have a good day guys..

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Originalsly: 2:31pm On Apr 23, 2023
ednut1:

All this epistle for food that servers will will likely be thrown in the bin. We are not the only nation with immigrants .

You are only confirming what he is saying..... and will do same to continue to give all a bad name. I guess thus is the mentality.... food will be thrown into the bin .... therefore grab all you can ... eat all you can... as quick as you can ..... no need eating what is first presented ... and waiting to be offered a second serving .... and after it's over for you to be offered bags to carry home what's left. And we wonder why we are singled out for hassle and extra scrutiny abroad.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by ednut1(m): 2:58pm On Apr 23, 2023
Originalsly:

You are only confirming what he is saying..... and will do same to continue to give all a bad name. I guess thus is the mentality.... food will be thrown into the bin .... therefore grab all you can ... eat all you can... as quick as you can ..... no need eating what is first presented ... and waiting to be offered a second serving .... and after it's over for you to be offered bags to carry home what's left. And we wonder why we are singled out for hassle and extra scrutiny abroad.
I rarely eat at events as i’m a choosy eater. Agreed they messed up but why must we litter the internet with things like this. Do you see chinese, indians, mexicans or other Africans countries casting their own country upandan online . The internet is full of Nigerians making videos and posts about this or that in uk. Are we the only immigrants 🤣The Nigerian passport is a stigma abroad because of crimes and fraud by some bad eggs. Plus we come from a poor country with nonchalant government. 70 years ago the Chinese abroad were also seen as lesser people and treated with disdain. Is that the case today

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Originalsly: 3:15pm On Apr 23, 2023
ednut1:

I rarely eat at events as i’m a choosy eater. Agreed they messed up but why must we litter the internet with things like this. Do you see chinese, indians, mexicans or other Africans countries casting their own country upandan online . The internet is full of Nigerians making videos and posts about this or that in uk. Are we the only immigrants 🤣The Nigerian passport is a stigma abroad because of crimes and fraud by some bad eggs. Plus we come from a poor country with nonchalant government. 70 years ago the Chinese abroad were also seen as lesser people and treated with disdain. Is that the case today

I'm sure all nations have some of their people talking bad things about their governments and citizens online. To talk is one thing .... to be labeled is another. Labeling doesn't come overnight ... is like reputation ... a good or bad reputation comes over time. Nigerians are known abroad as scammers.... Russians as hackers .... Italians as mafia... Columbians as cocaine dealers..... Jamaicans as weed smokers .... Mexicans as human smugglers but also for hard working and cheap pay ....... reputations built by their citizens. Do they talk about it?... I'm sure they do ... does it affect fellow citizens in their travels? ... definitely. Get in their forums and be surprised.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by lereinter(m): 3:52pm On Apr 23, 2023
I saw a video on twitter where a crowd of American guys broke into a store and took away items

Many humans are greedy

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Houseofglam7(f): 4:01pm On Apr 23, 2023
😩😩😩😩😩😩
Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by Gerrard59(m): 4:40am On Apr 24, 2023
Even me sef felt shame while reading it. embarassed Na why African Americans, when outside the US, no dey like associate with black Africans before other races call them poor people.

I like food, but when in public, one has to behave accordingly. If not for yourself, for the rest of your kith.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by NuCypher: 4:54am On Apr 24, 2023
It's not unusual for people to get carried away in cases like this and show a little gluttony. In workplaces where lunch is free, some workers stuff some in their bag and take it home. This happens a lot at Google and the culprits are mostly white staff.

The problem is when it is done in excess and there's nothing our Nigerian brothers won't do in excess. It's the same way the Nigerian pushes every single boundary until it borders on corruption. That excessiveness is the problem, not the stuffing of some bit of food in a bag. But then, it's just not a Nigerian problem. Indians do it do. Many people from other countries do it. But when a group of people start do it a lot more often, then it's only consequential that they get labelled.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Keep Embarrassing The Country And Continent Abroad by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:41am On Apr 24, 2023
Dgrant:
There is something called an embarassing behaviour. That the left over food would probably be thrown in the bin doesn't give him the right to gluttony and embarassing the rest of us. Embarassing comments were passed and all attention was directed at us and for what? for the wrong reasons\. No matter how much food would go to waste, you shouldn't take more than was assigned to you. Could have have possibly finished all the food because he didnt want any of it to waste?

This article further exposes some of the reasons we are not respected internationally and one of them is lack of respect for ourselves and lack of value.

When we were younger, our parents often forbade such behaviors when we visited our friends or neighbours, why? so as not to embarass them by making people feel they don't feed us enough.

We should take out the key learning from the article are bahave better in public.

Don't mind the guy talking about how the food would have wasted.

Nigerians always have a way of supporting every rubbish they see/hear about.

And that's the reason such things keep repeating.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Live Video Of Plane Crash Today In Ikeja Lagos / General Travelling Etiquette For Nigerians / Nigerians Living & Studing In KUWAIT, Share Your Experience Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.