Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,714 members, 7,831,251 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? (65899 Views)

South African Cities More Beautiful Than Nigerian City / 10 Most Beautiful Cities In Nigeria (pics, Video) - Ovoko.com.ng / What Major Cities Looks Like At Night From The Cockpit Of A Boeing 777 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by tonididdy(m): 1:48pm On Apr 24, 2023
It will cost twice or thrice as more

Those countries have the materials next door unlike Nigeria we would have to import everything from the window panels to the expertise which will result in double expenditure.
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by Austineva(m): 1:49pm On Apr 24, 2023
SmallDick99:
U can't achieve such in a ZOO cheesy

God bless you brother. It can never happen in zoo not in million years
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by helicoptarr: 1:58pm On Apr 24, 2023
Iamgrey5:
Those cities were built by the Boers not blacks.

Those cities were built over several decades from proceeds of daimond, Gold and platinum found in South Africa.

It's an open secret that Nigeria is richer in even rarer mineral resources than South Africa.

We've got no idea how much wealth in trillions of dollars worth we're sitting on.
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by Cromagnon: 2:02pm On Apr 24, 2023
JagabanBorgu:

I am talking about u in general, fighting so hard to bring one change or d other to ur vicinity, community, town or village, u see how quickly people tûrñ against u?
Any leader that will stand for d people of Nîgerià to bring the complete dividends of democracy in education, roads, electricity, water, security, jobs etc etc will be going to a wàr that will definitely cóñsume him and his family.
Either war with tribalists or war with undevelopment
Choose your war
Life is war

Are these people wórth that stress?
You're not doing it for them
You're doing it so your children will not be second class citizens abroad

The avèràge Nîgèrîan will choose allegiance to religîón and trîbè and complain about good or bàd góvèrnance, getting to the level d OP is posting requires all hands on deck.

So?
Then fix it for your religion or tribe
Half loaf is better than none
Fix your village, ward, hood, city, state or region if you can't fix the whole country

These Nîgeriàns will ÑÈVÈR place thèîr hands on deck.
you don't need them to

All you need is 1 serious Nigerian
The rest will follow when they see a working system
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by lexy2014: 2:03pm On Apr 24, 2023
ufotunang:
..it will start with a good leader like Peter obi and it's good goverance. then the other politcians will exhibit and follow the good leadership and goverance of Peter obi

That's not what I asked.
is it one man or is it a politician that built those cities in the pictures?
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by Cromagnon: 2:04pm On Apr 24, 2023
Modifire:
The bastardzzz amongst us would never allow that dream come true. Useless people
So bastards are stronger than you?
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by Cromagnon: 2:05pm On Apr 24, 2023
Modifire:
The bastardzzz amongst us would never allow that dream come true. Useless people
So bastards are stronger than you? Are you not a man?
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by Cromagnon: 2:05pm On Apr 24, 2023
Reflect7:

Yes they are. Their annual budget is 130 billion dollars for 70 million people.

Nigeria's is 50 billion dollars for 220 million people.

The oil and gas revenue might have been somewhat sufficient 20 years ago.

Today, it's a pittance cos of our population growth.

We need further diversification and better taxing systems to generate more revenue for development.

say no to tax
Just more loot for them to steal
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by Cromagnon: 2:06pm On Apr 24, 2023
gidgiddy:

Nigeria is using over 90% of its budget just to service debt and you are talking about building cities like this?
Were those cities built with taxes?
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by JagabanBorgu: 2:09pm On Apr 24, 2023
Cromagnon:

Either war with tribalists or war with undevelopment
Choose your war
Life is war

You're not doing it for them
You're doing it so your children will not be second class citizens abroad

So?
Then fix it for your religion or tribe
Half loaf is better than none
Fix your village, ward, hood, city, state or region if you can't fix the whole country

you don't need them to

All you need is 1 serious Nigerian
The rest will follow when they see a working system
The rest?
They will ñèvèr follow, they will sell u off to the powers that be.
I am working on my vicinity, my village and my people, work on urs too.
My kids will always be cîtîzèns of this country, this is their home and they will remain here.
I already chose my war long ago, I am fighting it, choose urs.
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by JagabanBorgu: 2:10pm On Apr 24, 2023
Fryx:

Been there.

Swore to be selfish afterwards
that's how selfish leàders are born and made.

1 Like

Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 2:17pm On Apr 24, 2023
Houseontherock1:
It will cost passion, zeal, discipline and determination on the part of the leaders and followers. If the leader is willing, the followers must be ready to bear the hardship, knowing that their money Is being put to good use. So many houses will pave way for development, many local contractors will learn to work, civil servants will do without bribe to a great extent, Nigerians will learn maintenance culture by force...

Good answer. Two major qualities that Nigerians lack is altruism and a responsibility to the greater good—both of those things are needed when it comes to development and maintenance. People are preoccupied with gaining personal wealth while ignoring quality of life for them
and their countrymen. Not all but some don’t care how greed and dishonesty will affect everyone around them, they only care about themselves and their families but don’t understand that because everyone else feels the same, their surroundings and quality of life suffers.

I see Nigerians talk non-stop about ‘taxes and bills’ with disgust in the travel section and some who plan on moving out of Nigeria are already formulating ways to avoid paying taxes once they arrive wherever they’re going—this is a good indication of why you guys may never have the type of cities that the op is asking about.
The first thing required are laws, regulations, codes, standards, and good city planning. Most of the buildings and some of the infrastructure in the pictures is courtesy of corporations and businesses. Each business is responsible for building and maintaining their properties in accordance to rules, laws,
Ordinances, and city codes with no ways around it. If they are found to be out of compliance at any time, they’re hit with huge fines that must be paid in order for them to continue to operate. Each also has to pay taxes to the municipal, county, state, and federal government and no amount of bribes can help them get around that. Now compare that to the companies that operate in Nigeria.
In 2022, City of Chicago collected $1,767,451,000 in taxes from both its 2.67 million citizens and businesses operating within the city—with over a billion dollars a year, it’s easy to construct and maintain good infrastructure while paying city employees fair wages and benefits. If a city has millions of citizens that are so against paying taxes that they do everything to not pay and no real checks and balances to stop leaders and employees from embezzling without horrible consequences then there won’t be any money to build or maintain.
The last time I was in Nigeria, I saw someone throwing trash out of the window of a bus like it was normal whereas if someone was to do the same thing where I live, either the police would’ve stopped the bus and fined both the passenger and the bus operator or someone would’ve written the license plate down and immediately reported what they saw in order for the fines to be assessed. Those fines that people have to pay or face serious consequences are used to pay the employees who collect trash, operate the street sweepers, and keep the city clean. From what I remember, nobody really frowns on people littering or doing things like walking in the middle of traffic instead of the side of the roads.
For Nigeria to advance and develop, order is one of the most important things that’s missing.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 2:21pm On Apr 24, 2023
JagabanBorgu:
With d kind of cîtîzèns in Nigèria.
It's impossible.

People might disagree with you but you’re right, everything begins with the citizens.
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by mozona(m): 2:21pm On Apr 24, 2023
Another debt...
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by BennyDGreat: 2:21pm On Apr 24, 2023
viodemus:
You are talking about a very useless place, ruled by people wey 2 na cut off from cradle to grave.

If not for Nigeria really teaching and in graining igbos in bad habits (irresponsibility, all kinds of crimes, unnecessary ego, and treasury stealing); My tribe, when honed in, can build all of that in 20 years. We have American creativity, the 19th century American work discipline, the tireless chinese manufacturing spirit, and a population care.

We can build it, but we will build better and durable. As long as we have hateful hostile tribes around us, we can't afford to do something like this, as in building too high up, it will just become a missile target; so we should be the kings of underground buildings and quality war ready buildings above ground. Because, we need to think like the enemies. If our enemies have these or even as things are now, anybody knows that as time of war goes on, all those elegant buildings will be targets. So, we have to think like the enemies. Some people heard that some people have been analyzing structures in person, hacked and friendly satellites, in pictures, and other means of analysis, so that fighters can know how to target and be efficient with strikes, even when not a direct hit. Even the air to pressure studies after a hit. If people are thinking like this, you will be unwise to assume the enemies are not preparing like this.

Igbos should increase our prowess on structure erection and durability. For the next 50 to 100 years, we shouldn't build high, unless we can come up with materials that can withstand war times or terror infiltration attack. So, we should focus on building real padded roads, underground highways and rail ways, and all kinds, regulated and periodically inspected for function and safety. We can build wonders too like that.

Please what's padded road?
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by JagabanBorgu: 2:22pm On Apr 24, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

This is the major problem... Many no wan gree cus they are guilty of this but like pointing fingers...
We wón't agree because it makes all us responsible for d faiIures, nobody wants to be responsible for fàiluré.
We all prefer to bIàmè.
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by BennyDGreat: 2:23pm On Apr 24, 2023
NinjaXmetahuman:

Again, use your sense. This is not rocket science now?

Some people are more blessed than the other when it comes to natural resources.

Just like dangote is more blessed to have over 10 billion dollars and you don't have up to 1 million naira in your account. Yet both of you are likely to be working the same hours of job.
Fingers are not equal.

Dubai made it from natural resources they have in abundance.. which is oil and it's more blessed in other sectores too.

If Lagos had the type of oil Dubai have and it's keeping it all for himself and instead of entire Nigeria, it will make sense for you to compare them.

As for children, if I have 100k and only have to cater for 2 children, I will still have more money left in my account to do other things than you with the same 100k and have to cater for 20 children..

Fingers are not equal, agreed but... Efficient management is what makes the difference
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 2:23pm On Apr 24, 2023
Jerryherd:
cool

Lagos Atlantic city comes to mind

God bless Bola Ahmed Tinubu Jagaban

God bless baba Tunde Raji Fashola

God bless Sanwo-Olu

Is that city for the use and enjoyment of regular citizens or just a privileged few?

1 Like

Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by hansomb: 2:23pm On Apr 24, 2023
Iamgrey5:
We don't have the money.
dey play, most of those buildings you see in abroad, Europe or Asia, Nigeria politicians have some stakes in them low-key. This are people whose millions citizens are at there mercy. If only money could by dead no SINGLE Nigerian politician will die. Not even a party delegate.
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by NinjaXmetahuman: 2:24pm On Apr 24, 2023
KanuSE:

Your argument of population comparison does not hold water bcoz 18 million people in Lagos is supposed to translate to more wealth creation than 3.5 million people in Dubai.

China has proven the theory, so I'm not going to engage in an argument on that.

It takes political will and a people with unity of purpose to turn things around.

Bye.
how has china proven the theory when USA less than a fraction of china's population the one holding the biggest economy in the world for over 5 decades now?

Population is not an advantage anymore, it's about how productive your citizens are. And natural resources at your disposal.

Take china and India as example?

2 Likes

Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by BennyDGreat: 2:25pm On Apr 24, 2023
lexy2014:

since it isnt rocket science and you are using your sense, i am surprised that you cant answer the simple questions.

1. how did Dubai make this hypothetical 5billion naira?

2. did Dubai always have "5 billion naira" to share for its 2 children?

3. is it because it has less "children" to cater for that is the reason why it has achieved all it has achieved?

4. based on your theory of population, is Dubai richer than China?

6. what is a country's greatest resource?

He's missing the point you are trying to make with your questions
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by Jerryherd: 2:26pm On Apr 24, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

Is that city for the use and enjoyment of regular citizens or just a privileged few?

Open to all Nigerians with all roads drainages , facilities, Powerplant for all..

Again anyone can own a plot of you have the money and buy from the Chagoury company
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by BennyDGreat: 2:26pm On Apr 24, 2023
Qc1:

I can send the fact to your WhatsApp if you want.( But i don't think it's safe to expose your direct number here).

Send link
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by JagabanBorgu: 2:27pm On Apr 24, 2023
richmond500:
The politics of Nigeria is so strong that you need grassroot.
Those are the people that will work for you.
If you do not have grassroot mobilization then forget it.
Grassroots that will be loyal 100% to ur cause because ur cause will bring better life for them.
I can't argue that comrade.
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by lordprogress: 2:27pm On Apr 24, 2023
Not in this lifetime just forget it.
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by Electorate: 2:28pm On Apr 24, 2023
Fineman2:
yes I know, but Singapore did it

Dubai did it too but sadly the population of daft, shallow minded set of tribal bigots and evil minded idiots in Nigeria outweights the little sensible people in Nigeria, Which ofcourse will make it impossible to build beautiful cities.

Truth is, Nigeria stopped developing since 1960 and will remain stagnant for the next 50 years, thats the bitter truth, no sign that this country will progress ... just focus on your life and that of your family.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by KanuSE: 2:29pm On Apr 24, 2023
NinjaXmetahuman:
how has china proven the theory when USA is the one holding the biggest economy in the world for over 5 decades now?

You obviously missed the point. The argument is not about economic superiority between US and China, but maximizing the potential and human resources of a large population for substantial development.
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by Bigseven(m): 2:30pm On Apr 24, 2023
No maintenance culture in our DNA, Bad government is and Heredity gene, our delegate prefer highest bider than a good leader so practically it is not possible to have this in Nigeria.
Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by Fearyourcreator: 2:30pm On Apr 24, 2023
JagabanBorgu:

We wón't agree because it makes all us responsible for d faiIures, nobody wants to be responsible for fàiluré.
We all prefer to bIàmè.
Am telling you

1 Like

Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by NinjaXmetahuman: 2:31pm On Apr 24, 2023
BennyDGreat:

Fingers are not equal, agreed but... Efficient management is what makes the difference
management doesnt do jack if you don't have the resources to manage.

You think Dubai are that good in management?

You think there is no corruption or mismanagement in dubai? With all the emirs etc connering all the money made or using it to sponsor terrorism all the world?

They still manage to stay on top because everything is just to their advantage.

Some nations are that blessed.
Take Dubai oil away and watch become another irrelevant city.

1 Like

Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by JagabanBorgu: 2:32pm On Apr 24, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

People might disagree with you but you’re right, everything begins with the citizens.
I always tell my people, change of mindset and outlook towards life and our society is d only way we can provide good life, the responsibility is ours, the leaders of today know how d cîtîzèns think.
Not until d cîtîzèns change their mindset, the country will continue on this part.
But...
Most people will ñèvèr agree with this point.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 2:32pm On Apr 24, 2023
VaselineCrew:

Same way Festus Keyamo said Hospitals aren’t built in a day, during the campaign period in 2019, when Bubu had already done 4 years.

4 years later, and 8 years in total, and Bubu still flies abroad for medical treatment.

One of the problems with naij is that there a lot of stupid people.

They will ask you whether Open Gutter is your problem, yet look at the pics up there, is there any OPEN GUTTER filled with poop and pee anywhere

If that kind of person gets elected and becomes yet another stupid leader, do you think he will even consider closing the gutters

Correct.
Look at these world-class hospital timelines and costs. Most of them are very large and spared no expense—Nigeria can start with the basics and slowly upgrade so imagine the timeline to build something smaller and cheaper—there’s been plenty of time and money. Is there at least notable progress?
https://www.hepacart.com/blog/hospital-construction-timeline-examples?hs_amp=true

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

My Cousin Came Back From North Cyprus After 5years With Nothing / North And East: My Experience Yesterday In Onitsha (Photos) / Inside Abramovich’s ₦181b Eclipse Yacht With Helipads,Sub & Missile Defence Syst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.