Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,959 members, 7,810,652 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri (11450 Views)

APC Loses In All 14 Lgas Where Adamawa Supplementary Poll Held / Adamawa: Supplementary Election Lives Updates, Reports And Results / Adamawa Supplementary Elections Postponed Indefinitely - INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by politicoNG: 9:00pm On Apr 26, 2023
The All Progressives Congress (APC)’s candidate in the Adamawa governorship election, Sen. Aisha Dahiru-Ahmed, popularly called “Binani,” on Wednesday withdrew the suit filed against the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the APC candidate had prayed the court for a judicial review of the decision by INEC to reverse her earlier announcement as winner of the poll by the state’s Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Hudu Yunusa-Ari.

Binani’s counsel, Mohammed Sheriff, upon resumed hearing in the matter, told Justice Inyang Ekwo of a Federal High Court, Abuja that a notice of discontinuance had been filed to that effect and urged the court to strike out the case.

Justice Ekwo reminded Sheriff that an order was given in the last adjourned date directing him to address the court on whether the court had the jurisdiction to entertain the case or not.

The lawyer, who informed the court that a lot of issues had came up between the last date of adjournment and today, begged for an order striking out the suit.

The judge, however, held that since Sheriff had failed to go by the order of the court, the appropriate thing to do was to dismiss the matter.

“I hereby make an order dismissing this suit,” Justice Ekwo declared.

NAN reports that the judge had, on April 18, refused to hear an ex-parte motion filed by Binani.

Ekwo, instead, ordered the APC candidate’s counsel to address the court on issue of jurisdiction before hearing the substantive motion.

The judge said though he was ready to hear Sheriff, the lawyer must address the court on issue of jurisdiction before he proceeded.

He held that the application would be taken together with the issue of jurisdiction on the next adjourned date and adjourned until April 26 for hearing.

But the electoral umpire had, on April 19, declared the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)’s candidate and Gov. Ahmadu Fintiri the winner of the governorship election held in the state.

Binani and APC, in the motion ex-parte marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/510/2023, had sued INEC, PDP and its candidate, Gov. Fintiri as 1st, 2nd and 3rd respondents respectively.

Binani, through her lawyer, Hussaini Zakariyau, SAN, had sought a judicial review of the administrative decision of INEC on April 16 in respect of her declaration as the winner of the governorship elections held on March 18 and the supplementary poll of April 15.

She is also seeking an order of prohibition and certiorari preventing INEC and its agents from taking any further steps towards the declaration of the winner of the elections pending the determination of her application for judicial review.

The application was brought pursuant to Order 34 Rules 1a, Order 3(1) & 3(2) a, b, c, Order 6 of the Federal High Court (Civil Procedure Rules), 2019 and Section 251 (1)q & r of the 1999 Constitution, as well as Section 149 & 152 of the Electoral Act, 2022.

Giving grounds why the motion should be granted, Binani stated that after the collation of results, INEC declared her as the winner of the elections but the PDP and its candidate, Governor Fintiri, resorted to fighting and causing a public disturbance which led to the beating and manhandling of an INEC staff.

This crisis, she said, led INEC to cancel the initial declaration which it had no power to do as only the election petition tribunal is vested with such powers.

By cancelling her declaration, Binani contended that INEC usurped the powers of the election petition tribunal which is the only court vested with powers on a declaration from the conduct of an election.

In the application, she averred that a judicial review exists to enable the superior court to checkmate the actions and decisions of inferior courts as well as the legislative and administrative arm of government including agencies and public officers.

The applicant further submits that the INEC, being an agency of the government, can have its actions, records, and decisions checked by the court and only a court can nullify the actions of an INEC official and not the INEC itself.

https://guardian.ng/news/adamawa-governorship-poll-binani-withdraws-suit-against-inec/?utm_medium=Social&echobox=twitter_post&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1682530240

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by TemplarLandry: 9:02pm On Apr 26, 2023
Let's see how it ends.
Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by helinues: 9:05pm On Apr 26, 2023
Binani tried but her trying wasn't enough, 2027 is another opportunity.

Btw, Northerners even try to have presented Binani, no Southern states presented a woman as a leading candidate.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Tntsi: 9:15pm On Apr 26, 2023
It should not be only dismissed, there should be a fine.

By the way, how many times does tinubu want to go to defence house and why us it news?

I can't remember yaradua, Gej or pmb making news from going to defence house. Nobody cares about that. Abi una de fear your shadows?

26 Likes

Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Illuminatiship(m): 9:40pm On Apr 26, 2023
See thief dey go court, tinubu go finish Nigeria I swear..

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Maxymilliano(m): 9:42pm On Apr 26, 2023
It was exercise in futility ab-initio. The court lack jurisdiction to entertain such cases

7 Likes

Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Penguin2: 9:48pm On Apr 26, 2023
Please if you are a Binani supporter, can you raise your hands up for the world to see you 🤔?

4 Likes

Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Moferere: 9:50pm On Apr 26, 2023
Desperate woman

24 Likes

Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Emperior5(m): 9:51pm On Apr 26, 2023
This one serious o
Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Houseofglam7(f): 9:51pm On Apr 26, 2023
undecided
Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by drizslim(m): 9:53pm On Apr 26, 2023
Since it is against APC & its cohorts then it a fun thing to get happy over
Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Godjone(m): 9:59pm On Apr 26, 2023
grin
She was shocked at what transpired after the election. May be one of her boyfriend politician promised her a gift of becoming governor after lashing her kpekus. She was thinking is going to be business as usual. The Obidients are here. No more impunity. No more illegality. No more rigging. Nigeria must work for Nigerians

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Globad(f): 10:00pm On Apr 26, 2023
Throw BINani's suit into the BIN!

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

3 Likes

Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by alimiadedayo1: 10:00pm On Apr 26, 2023
BrotherAdenike:
😎

Northerners business, not my business.

Buhari should vacate office with immediate effect because his regime is over.

After Buhari leaves office, no one from the North will ever rule Nigeria again

The South has taken over
are you deceiving your family members or you are playing
Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Globad(f): 10:01pm On Apr 26, 2023
alimiadedayo1:

are you deceiving your family members or you are playing

He's deceiving himself
Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Globad(f): 10:01pm On Apr 26, 2023
Illuminatiship:
See thief dey go court, tinubu go finish Nigeria I swear..

Wetin concern Tinubu inside this one? Eh?

You guys will soon elevate him to the level of a god

3 Likes

Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Globad(f): 10:02pm On Apr 26, 2023
Moferere:
Desperate woman

Desperado
Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Lovenorth: 10:02pm On Apr 26, 2023
Some women are desperate and shameless
Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Globad(f): 10:02pm On Apr 26, 2023
Tntsi:
It should not be only dismissed, there should be a fine.

By the way, how many times does tinubu want to go to defence house and why us it news?

I can't remember yaradua, Gej or pmb making news from going to defence house. Nobody cares about that. Abi una de fear your shadows?

It's good for the court to impose heavy fines for frivolous and stupid suits
Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Misterc(m): 10:09pm On Apr 26, 2023
chatinent:
Agba baller nitori Election.
Bro..... I just sent u a mail..... I base in Lagos and into gadgets sales and logistics......
Please do reachout to me on WhatsApp 08071812272 for some profitable logistics riders tracking... I got some clients reaching out to me for tracking riders that stole employers bikes and clients packages that have been on the run...
We tracked and got some few riders and some are still at large seeking unsuspecting operators to rip-off
PLEASE ITS IMPORTANT CHIEF....
Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Guyman01: 10:10pm On Apr 26, 2023
They don't want another Fulani ruling Adamawa when they are a minority tribe but punching above their numbers.
Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by chatinent: 10:17pm On Apr 26, 2023
Misterc:

Bro..... I just sent u a mail..... I base in Lagos and into gadgets sales and logistics......
Please do reachout to me on WhatsApp 08071812272 for some profitable logistics riders tracking... I got some clients reaching out to me for tracking riders that stole employers bikes and clients packages that have been on the run...
We tracked and got some few riders and some are still at large seeking unsuspecting operators to rip-off
PLEASE ITS IMPORTANT CHIEF....

I'm sorry I don't do such online.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Hpesoj: 10:19pm On Apr 26, 2023
helinues:

Btw, Northerners even try to have presented Binani, no Southern states presented a woman as a leading candidate.

You forgot mama Taraba? North east seem to be well refined.
Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by oxygeng: 10:21pm On Apr 26, 2023
helinues:

Abeg face your front, and continue with your family unhealthy competition. Leave South and North out of it.

2 Likes

Re: Adamawa Supplementary Poll: Court Dismisses Binani's Suit Against INEC, Fintiri by Illuminatiship(m): 10:25pm On Apr 26, 2023
Globad:

Wetin concern Tinubu inside this one? Eh?

You guys will soon elevate him to the level of a god
I know say you fit dey your brother just to make tinubu your sugar daddy..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Security Hasn’t Improved Since You Took Over – Ijaw Group Tells Tinubu / CBN To Introduce N5000 Note In 2013 / Two Policemen Killed By Thieves In Onitsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.