Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? (1605 Views)

Helen Mbakwe: Meet The New Political Role Model In Anambra Politics / Emeka Ihedioha Inspects Sam Mbakwe Airport After Fire Outbreak / Sam Mbakwe Airport In Owerri, Imo State Is On Fire. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by Penguin2: 3:09pm On Apr 28, 2023
There are currently 4 Airports in the Southeast but only one it was built by the Federal Government.

The 4th busiest Airport in Nigeria, Sam Mbakwe Airport, was built through crowd funding by Igbo people.

Anambra International and Cargo Airport was built by Anambra State Government.

Ebonyi International Airport was built by Ebonyi State government.

What has the Federal Government really done for the Southeast?

Mynd44
Nlfpmod

5 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by maleekberry: 3:11pm On Apr 28, 2023
There was a country in this country

5 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by Shokoloko(f): 3:18pm On Apr 28, 2023
Penguin2:
There are currently 4 Airports in the Southeast but only one it was built by the Federal Government.

The 4th busiest Airport in Nigeria, Sam Mbakwe Airport, was built through crowd funding by Igbo people.

Mynd44
Nlfpmod
I didn't realise; it seems the Southeast from the beginning has never really been part of Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by Mindlog: 3:20pm On Apr 28, 2023
Even primary school pupils in the then old Imo state , contributed. My parents were sending theirs from Lagos back in the 80s.

10 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by Lionstep: 3:29pm On Apr 28, 2023
I really wish they can found for a Sea port like this, dredge those rivers that are closer to sea and build their own port, I really want to know what will become of lagos

14 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by habsydiamond(m): 3:29pm On Apr 28, 2023
Wow... thats nice...but why should the people be funding a project when we have a govt in this country..if not for corruption, citizens have been doing the work of the government from time immemorial. They get transformers for their communities, pipe borne water and the likes. But instead of the government to think towards the major needs of the masses.. they kept wasting borrowed funds to build roads and rail tracks to other countries, buying cars for other countries and all sort...

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by MadamExcellency: 3:34pm On Apr 28, 2023
When the people see a noble project from an incorruptible government, they will pay willingly for development.

5 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by kozmokaz(m): 3:38pm On Apr 28, 2023
This is touching

3 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by AwkaFinest: 3:43pm On Apr 28, 2023
Yes I know that Sam Mbakwe airport is the worst airport I ever used. That airport looks like an abandoned property.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by mrvitalis(m): 3:43pm On Apr 28, 2023
After this set of Igbos leaders they saw the progress n made sure the people's choice never won election in Igboland again till Peter obi came

Igbos have been through hell

Ceramic factory , biggest malting plant in Nigeria , brewery ,ABA industrial layout ...first state owned IPP ... brewery in umiahia ,owonmanma ...paint Industry in mbaise

Dee Sam mbakwe keep resting champion

6 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by Penguin2: 3:43pm On Apr 28, 2023
Shokoloko:

I didn't realise; it seems the Southeast from the beginning has never really been part of Nigeria.
The Southeast has suffered real marginalization since just 10 years after Independence.

Since then, the region and its people has been systematically excluded from the scheme of things in the country.

No federal sponsored projects.

No appointment of its people to certain positions.

Wicked policies to stifle businesses in sectors they dominate.

And, ultimately, making sure no Igbo man has tasted the presidency since 1970 till date.

“Make sure the Igbos never rise again” is their unwritten guiding principle; until Peter Obi came and wanted to break their stranglehold which made them resort to brazen rigging and distortions of votes just to stop.

But we await to see how that ends.

9 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by Penguin2: 3:48pm On Apr 28, 2023
AwkaFinest:
Yes I know that Sam Mbakwe airport is the worst airport I ever used. That airport looks like an abandoned property.

Certainly not anything close to Osogbo Airport at least😏

14 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by Penguin2: 3:53pm On Apr 28, 2023
mrvitalis:
After this set of Igbos leaders they saw the progress n made sure the people's choice never won election in Igboland again till Peter obi came

Igbos have been through hell

Ceramic factory , biggest malting plant in Nigeria , brewery ,ABA industrial layout ...first state owned IPP ... brewery in umiahia ,owonmanma ...paint Industry in mbaise

Dee Sam mbakwe keep resting champion

You are right.

After the Sam Mbakwe and Jim Nwobodo era, people who sincerely worked for the people, the Nigerian corrupt mafia started sponsoring anti-Igbo Igbo politicians to win elections in Southeast who will devote their time in looting the treasury of their respective states and insulting us.

But I’m glad that the emergence of Peter Obi in 2023 election has put an end to that (hopefully).

Hope Uzodimma will be the last stupid governor the Southeast will ever produce.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by Penguin2: 3:59pm On Apr 28, 2023
Lionstep:
I really wish they can found for a Sea port like this, dredge those rivers that are closer to sea and build their own port, I really want to know what will become of lagos
That’s what people are saying.

People are asking why such scheme stopped.

But I’m sure it stopped because more and more criminals and dishonest people started getting into politics and winning elections through fraudulent means. Now, you don’t expect the people to contribute billions of Naira and hand to a leader they don’t trust.

Imagine Hope Uzodimma asks people to contribute for a project, how many people do you think would listen to him?

So, what we need is to start having leaders we can trust in power and you see these schemes return.

Igbos have enough resources to crowdfund and build our roads, a seaport, a power plant and connect the 5 southeast states with railway. These things can be done. And they will be done.

Fork their Federal Government!

8 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by AwkaFinest: 4:03pm On Apr 28, 2023
Penguin2:

Certainly not anything close to Osogbo Airport at least😏

You think I'm here for this nonsense? I flew through that airport in 2021 and it was a mess for an airport. Worst airport I've ever used/seen in my life. It looks like those old 3 storey buildings in Onitsha or Aba. Even the control tower was so laughable.

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by vanunu: 4:11pm On Apr 28, 2023
Penguin2:

The Southeast has suffered real marginalization since just 10 years after Independence.

Since then, the region and its people has been systematically excluded from the scheme of things in the country.

No federal sponsored projects.

No appointment of its people to certain positions.

Wicked policies to stifle businesses in sectors they dominate.

And, ultimately, making sure no Igbo man has tasted the presidency since 1970 till date.

“Make sure the Igbos never rise again” is their unwritten guiding principle; until Peter Obi came and wanted to break their stranglehold which made them resort to brazen rigging and distortions of votes just to stop.

But we await to see how that ends.

Since 1970 no south easterner has been appointed as minister of works, there is really an institutionalized hate and discrimination against the Igbos.

3 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by kingthreat(m): 4:18pm On Apr 28, 2023
Penguin2:

Mynd44
Nlfpmod

Every month, the FG gives all the South Eastern state funds from Oil Revenue to do what they want to do.
Out of that revenue, Anambra and Ebonyi has chosen to build airports out of it.
Now to propagate your usual victim narrative, you are asking what has FG done for the South East?
If you like don't tell your governors to work. If you like keep celebrating UGM that are driving investors away.
Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by Guyman01: 4:19pm On Apr 28, 2023
As a primary school pupil we contributed towards the building of that airport even without knowing what an Airport looks like, several years later when I flew into the airport I was so happy that I was using an airport we collectively built

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by Lionstep: 4:21pm On Apr 28, 2023
Penguin2:

That’s what people are saying.

People are asking why such scheme stopped.

But I’m sure it stopped because more and more criminals and dishonest people started getting into politics and winning elections through fraudulent means. Now, you don’t expect the people to contribute billions of Naira and hand to a leader they don’t trust.

Imagine Hope Uzodimma asks people to contribute for a project, how many people do you think would listen to him?

So, what we need is to start having leaders we can trust in power and you see these schemes return.

Igbos have enough resources to crowdfund and build our roads, a seaport, a power plant and connect the 5 southeast states with railway. These things can be done. And they will be done.

Fork their Federal Government!

You're right though, the founds are not the issue but who to trust it into his hands.
Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by Guyman01: 4:23pm On Apr 28, 2023
habsydiamond:
Wow... thats nice...but why should the people be funding a project when we have a govt in this country..if not for corruption, citizens have been doing the work of the government from time immemorial. They get transformers for their communities, pipe borne water and the likes. But instead of the government to think towards the major needs of the masses.. they kept wasting borrowed funds to build roads and rail tracks to other countries, buying cars for other countries and all sort...

With regards to Imo airport, late Dee Sam Mbakwe called on the people that he doesn't want to divert funds that should be used to build industries, schools, hospitals into such a product and because he was not corrupt the people gladly agreed to build that airport themselves allowing to do other developmental projects with state funds which were clearly visible even till date

3 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by Penguin2: 4:33pm On Apr 28, 2023
vanunu:

Since 1970 no south easterner has been appointed as minister of works, there is really an institutionalized hate and discrimination against the Igbos.
You are right.

They make sure an Igbo man doesn’t get any post that he will use and better the Southeast.

That’s why they hated Jonathan with every marrow in their bones after he appointed the first Igbo Chief of Army Staff since after the war.

Again GEJ appointed Stella Oduah Minister of Aviation who ensured Enugu Airport was upgraded to International Airport. They got so mad and made sure they hounded her out of office. Till today they’ve made sure Enugu Airport remains a domestic airport and only International in nomenclature.

But God pass man!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by habsydiamond(m): 4:37pm On Apr 28, 2023
Guyman01:

With regards to Imo airport, late Dee Sam Mbakwe called on the people that he doesn't want to divert funds that should be used to build industries, schools, hospitals into such a product and because he was not corrupt the people gladly agreed to build that airport themselves allowing to do other developmental projects with state which were clearly visible even till date
I know we still have diligent and less corrupt individuals that can do the job of moving this country forward its just that the corrupt are too many to allow that to happen.

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by kettykin: 5:40pm On Apr 28, 2023
AwkaFinest:

You think I'm here for this nonsense? I flew through that airport in 2021 and it was a mess for an airport. Worst airport I've ever used/seen in my life. It looks like those old 3 storey buildings in Onitsha or Aba. Even the control tower was a laughable.

I have flown through almost all the airports in nigeria aside Abuja, Lagos, port harcourt ,Enugu , Calabar and Kano airport,which other airport beats imo airport
Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by MXrep: 5:47pm On Apr 28, 2023
AwkaFinest:

You think I'm here for this nonsense? I flew through that airport in 2021 and it was a mess for an airport. Worst airport I've ever used/seen in my life. It looks like those old 3 storey buildings in Onitsha or Aba. Even the control tower was so laughable.
But it's the fourth busiest airport and has been handed to FG. Why are they not upgrading it?

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by MXrep: 5:49pm On Apr 28, 2023
kingthreat:

Every month, the FG gives all the South Eastern state funds from Oil Revenue to do what they want to do.
Out of that revenue, Anambra and Ebonyi has chosen to build airports out of it.
Now to propagate your usual victim narrative, you are asking what has FG done for the South East?
If you like don't tell your governors to work. If you like keep celebrating UGM that are driving investors away.
How does this rubbish relate with the topic?

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by AwkaFinest: 5:51pm On Apr 28, 2023
kettykin:

I have flown through almost all the airports in nigeria aside Abuja, Lagos, port harcourt ,Enugu , Calabar and Kano airport,which other airport beats imo airport

Atleast I've used both airports in Lagos, Abuja, PHC and Kaduna. None was as bad as Owerri airport abi na Ngor-Okpala.
Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by AwkaFinest: 7:07pm On Apr 28, 2023
MXrep:

But it's the fourth busiest airport and has been handed to FG. Why are they not upgrading it?

It's busy that's why it need upgrade. Abuja, Lagos and PH airports are busier, but don't look as archaic as Owerri airport.
Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by tungamaje: 7:37pm On Apr 28, 2023
Mindlog:
Even primary school pupils in the then old Imo state , contributed. My parents were sending theirs from Lagos back in the 80s.
I remember those days we secondary school students contributing ours by paying what was then called SURVIVAL LEVY. Our people really tried, I am a proud Igbo

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by SpaceTour: 8:00pm On Apr 28, 2023
Stop spewing nonsense. Imo airport is more or less a motorpark. Infact in the real sense if it, imo is yet to have an airport

kettykin:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by kingthreat(m): 8:00pm On Apr 28, 2023
MXrep:

How does this rubbish relate with the topic?

If you can't see how it relates then you should burn all your certificates as they are of zero worth.
Re: Did You Know That Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Was Built Through Crowd Funding? by etrouble: 8:06pm On Apr 28, 2023
Shokoloko:

Yes, you are right. You can not pick arms against the Federal Republic and still expect to be part of the Republic

(1) (2) (Reply)

Seven Women Who Made Tinubu's Ministerial List And Their States Of Origin / Percentage Of The Population Living In Their State Of Origin / Calif. Couple Calls For Orgasm For Peace!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.