Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,207 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

Tech Don Cast! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Tech Don Cast! (2013 Views)

Tinubu Don Win Ohh!! What Next? Tensa,qt.... / Arenterprise Aka Don Williams Oseni Is A Scam Artist. Pls Beware. / Most Loathed Programming Language? Here's How Developers Cast Their Votes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tech Don Cast! by Domainer1999: 9:20am On May 03, 2023
With the burgeoning massive layoffs continuing among tech giants and startups, what can be said about the future of tech jobs?

No thanks to AI & ChatGPT -Tools that need no introduction.

Is this the time you'll advise someone to jump into a tech career and dedicate some years toward, and guaranteed that they can't be replace by AIs?

cc Tensazangetsu20, truthcoder, mukina2, lordZOUGA

Re: Tech Don Cast! by Domainer1999: 9:23am On May 03, 2023
Huge contributions will be appreciated.
Mods help lauckh to front page.
Re: Tech Don Cast! by TUANKU(m): 9:25am On May 03, 2023
Enough with the fear mongering oga.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tech Don Cast! by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:27am On May 03, 2023
AI and chat gpt aren't responsible for the layoffs. A bad economy is. I don't think tech has completely casted sha. A lot of westerners are still getting jobs. Biotech firms are hiring, defense firms are hiring enmass. It's mostly people from third world countries like Nigeria that the thing is casting for because a lot of remote roles are reducing. A lot of companies are switching from fully remote to hybrid or back to office fully so we dont have access to those jobs like before and we don't also have enough jobs in Nigerian. Chatgpt is still years away from being completely able to replace developers if that ever happens sef.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tech Don Cast! by Domainer1999: 9:27am On May 03, 2023
No fear mongering, it's a global threat and I created this topic to be educative enough and hear from industry experts.
TUANKU:
Enough with the fear mongering oga.

1 Like

Re: Tech Don Cast! by TOBILOBA2023(m): 9:27am On May 03, 2023
"Nothing lasts forever except change."👌

1 Like

Re: Tech Don Cast! by Domainer1999: 9:29am On May 03, 2023
Chief Tensazangetsu20, you make use of the word 'Tech don Cast lo' in one of your latest reply to someone, which even spur the thread title.

I'd like you to elaborate on it.

1 Like

Re: Tech Don Cast! by truthCoder: 9:29am On May 03, 2023
Domainer1999:

cc Tensazangetsu20, truthcoder,
Do you remember the four-figure table in secondary school? That’s AI.

Tractors didn’t replace farmers.
The calculator did not replace math professors.

Tools dont replace their users. They only make their user’s life better if the user is ready to adapt to the dynamics.

AI has made me a better programmer by being an assistive tool.

I start every new project by giving it a brief and asking for its own view of the structure. We iterate over the structure together and in few minutes i have a starting plan.

If my employer decides to use AI to code by himself, i wish him luck.

The only farmers that tractors took out of employment were the ones who insisted that technology is bad and stuck to the old means.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tech Don Cast! by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:31am On May 03, 2023
Domainer1999:
Chief Tensazangetsu20, you make use of the word 'Tech don Cast lo' in one of your latest reply to someone, which even spur the thread title.

I'd like you to elaborate on it.

It has casted for nigerians not for everyone on the globe. Enter reddit and blind people are still getting crazy jobs. Even in the layoffs people took breaks and got their next jobs within a month or so. When was the last time you saw a Nigerian celebrating a good Gig. Those things have reduced massively even on Twitter.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tech Don Cast! by TUANKU(m): 9:35am On May 03, 2023
Domainer1999:

No fear mongering, it's a global threat and I created this topic to be educative enough and hear from industry experts.
Who says it's a global threat? Did the computer and calculator put the accountant/banker out of his job as predicted by some?
For example i am a Penetration Tester, how is ChatGPT a threat to me when it can't do my job.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tech Don Cast! by Domainer1999: 9:39am On May 03, 2023
I think the narrative of calling these AIs a tools in their user hands is false! At an initial stage they may be a tools, but can later be advanced to replace its users.

Re: Tech Don Cast! by Domainer1999: 9:40am On May 03, 2023
Comparing these tools with a calculator or spanner in it's user hands is preposterous!
Some of them are advanced that they can do the work of their users efficiently.
Re: Tech Don Cast! by Domainer1999: 9:44am On May 03, 2023
Data and statistics say so! If 186k Jobs are lost without haven't reach first quarter of a year, and you say that's not a Global threat?
TUANKU:

Who says it's a global threat? Did the computer and calculator put the accountant/banker out of his job as predicted by some?
For example i am a Penetration Tester, how is ChatGPT a threat to me when it can't do my job.

4 Likes

Re: Tech Don Cast! by chariisGRACE(m): 9:46am On May 03, 2023
Tech never cast, oga.
Re: Tech Don Cast! by TUANKU(m): 9:47am On May 03, 2023
Domainer1999:

Data and statistics say so! If 186k Jobs are lost without haven't reach first quarter of a year, and you say that's not a Global threat?
Most job losses are due to fiscal reasons than AI related. AI will surely lead to job losses in some cases but not at the magnitude being predicted which borders on fear mongering.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tech Don Cast! by truthCoder: 9:48am On May 03, 2023
OP

You are just one self-opinionated piece.

Different people have given you their opinions on this subject but to you, everyone is wrong.

So its not a tool? What is it? A god?
Re: Tech Don Cast! by Domainer1999: 9:49am On May 03, 2023
Is this the time you'll advise someone to jump into a tech career and dedicate some years toward, and guaranteed that they can't be replace by AIs?

TUANKU:

Most job losses are due to fiscal reasons than AI related. AI will surely lead to job losses in some cases but not at the magnitude being predicted which borders on fear mongering.
Re: Tech Don Cast! by Domainer1999: 9:51am On May 03, 2023
A hoe is a tool, likewise a tractor.
Do they perform same farm operations?

truthCoder:
OP

You are just one self-opinionated piece.

Different people have given you their opinions on this subject but to you, everyone is wrong.

So its not a tool? What is it? A god?
Re: Tech Don Cast! by truthCoder: 9:51am On May 03, 2023
Domainer1999:

Maybe they should all start planting cashew nuts then.

All these badly written php and react codes on the world wide web, would would maintain them when the old hands retire?

2 Likes

Re: Tech Don Cast! by Domainer1999: 9:54am On May 03, 2023
Are you telling me an AI can't be develop to take care of that?
truthCoder:

Maybe they should all start planting cashew nuts then.

All these badly written php and react codes on the world wide web, would would maintain them when the old hands retire?
Re: Tech Don Cast! by TUANKU(m): 9:54am On May 03, 2023
Domainer1999:

Yes i will, especially in Cyber security as penetration tester, cryptography, bug bounty hunter.
You can learn programming (solidity) and go into smart contracts and earn big money.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tech Don Cast! by truthCoder: 10:03am On May 03, 2023
Domainer1999:

Are you telling me an AI can't be develop to take care of that?

Let me ask you the following questions:

Have you managed or have been part of a large code repo before?

Have you used AI in code analysis, reviews and maintenance before?

Have you seen real life code issues on production codebase before (like say an attack ) and been part of the team that resolved it?

Have you written testable codes before?

Have you tested codes before?

Have you been part of a devops team before?

Finally, will you as a CTO guarantee that your codebase is in safe hands with an AI and thus sack your whole tech team?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tech Don Cast! by LikeAking: 10:08am On May 03, 2023
Domainer1999:

cc Tensazangetsu20, truthcoder, mukina2, lordZOUGA

Na normal thing for American business..

Tech is not about getting jobs, it's about solving problems, it's a life style.

This layoffs will provide capable hands for smaller and new tech firms...

Na normal American strategy...

Why are most of the economical and layoffs problems in America?

1 Like

Re: Tech Don Cast! by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:09am On May 03, 2023
LikeAking:

Na normal thing for American business..

Tech is not about getting jobs, it's about solving problems, it's a life style.

This layoffs will provide capable hands for smaller and new tech firms...

Na normal American strategy...

Why are most of the economical and layoffs problems in America?

You haven't been following the news. There's been a lot of layoffs with Nigerian companies locally too.
Re: Tech Don Cast! by chim14(m): 10:14am On May 03, 2023
Bla bla bla!

I learnt programming out of pure curiosity & I hated cracking my head all the time, so the best way is to automate.

A.I has made development alot better, this is actually the era of celebration for programmers. You guys just dont know it.
Re: Tech Don Cast! by LikeAking: 10:16am On May 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

You haven't been following the news. There's been a lot of layoffs with Nigerian companies locally too.

Nigeria most copy na.

Na our way.
Re: Tech Don Cast! by LikeAking: 10:17am On May 03, 2023
chim14:
Bla bla bla!

I learnt programming out of pure curiosity & I hated cracking my head all the time, so the best way is to automate.

A.I has made development alot better, this is actually the era of celebration for programmers. You guys just dont know it.

Even if no AI. US companies will still layoff massively is their style...

boom and doom, and repeat...
Re: Tech Don Cast! by chim14(m): 10:17am On May 03, 2023
LikeAking:

Nigeria most copy na.

Na our way.

Even b4 US naija don dey layoff since...lol
Re: Tech Don Cast! by chim14(m): 10:19am On May 03, 2023
LikeAking:

Even if no AI. US companies will still layoff massively is their style...

boom and doom, and repeat...

When you are a 9 to 5ver & u lose ur job. Even if you have money in the bank, the first 2 months will be very depressing.
Re: Tech Don Cast! by LikeAking: 10:20am On May 03, 2023
The world may also be getting tired of big arrogant US tech firms..

LinkedIn for eg, just the restrict accounts permanently for no reason...

Go and check how US Bittrrex frustrated lots of middle East and Muslim clients..

The top crypto exchanges for eg are not owned by USA guys..

See how millions of Nigerians ditched FB and Twitter for China Tik Tok.
Re: Tech Don Cast! by RepoMan007: 10:31am On May 03, 2023
Teh the now.
Re: Tech Don Cast! by airsaylongcome: 11:45am On May 03, 2023
LikeAking:
The world may also be getting tired of big arrogant US tech firms..

LinkedIn for eg, just the restrict accounts permanently for no reason...

Go and check how US Bittrrex frustrated lots of middle East and Muslim clients..

The top crypto exchanges for eg are not owned by USA guys..

See how millions of Nigerians ditched FB and Twitter for China Tik Tok.

You really DO NOT understand the business side of a tech business. Millions of Nigerians ditched FB and Twitter for Tiktok? Are you kidding me?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Php Gurus, Showcase Your Best Applications Here / Basic Programmer, Help Me Solve This Question (solved) / What you need to know about Full Stack Web Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.