Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,842 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 (1228 Views)

Who Sold Nigeria To The British For £865k In 1899? / A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) / Video Of Kano Uni Of Science And Technology SUG President With Many Bodyguards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by TheSourcerer: 8:56pm On May 03, 2023
In 1899, Lord Lugard had proclaimed a British protectorate over much of the Sokoto Caliphate. with the failure of numerous diplomatic overtures to the Caliph, in 1900 a military campaign was launched to subdue the caliphate. The British pacification campaign termed Kano-Sokoto Expedition set off from Zaria at the end of January 1903 under the command of Colonel Morland. British officers and N.C.O.s and 800 African rank and file. Apart from a company of mounted infantry and a few gunners, the whole force consisted of infantry. They were supported, however, by four 75-mm. mountain guns, which could if necessary be dismantled and transported by porters, and by six machine guns.

The War

After three previous victorious encounters with British forces, a large British Force from Kano ambushed the Kano cavalry at the great rocks of Kwatarkwashi. After a 6-hour encounter, the death of the Vizier of Kano led the remnant of the cavalry to retreat back to Sokoto, a substantial part of the force however under Muhammad Abbas surrendered to the British and proceeded back to Kano.

At Kano, Muhammad Abbas was proclaimed Emir of Kano. The last of the Kano cavalry were integrated into the Caliphal force of Sokoto

After sporadic fighting outside the walls of the fort, the British managed to penetrate the defensive parameters of the capital. Kano was mostly left defenseless at the time, the Emir was away with its large contingent Cavalry for the Autumn Campaign at Sokoto. Madakin Kano, a local noble rallied whatever troops there were still in the city to defend it. Despite his efforts, the British successfully took over the city after heavy fight wherein the latter sustained 70 casualties

The taking of Kano by the West African Frontier Force signalled the end of the Fulani empire in West Africa. The Fulani people were nomadic cattle-herders and fierce horsemen, who in the early 1800s, imbued with zeal for Islam, established a fundamentalist Muslim state among the Hausas in northern Nigeria under their leader Uthman dan Fodio, Commander of the Faithful. His successors were Sultans of Sokoto, the empire’s spiritual centre to the west of Kano. The empire of emirates owing obedience to the sultan was in decline by the 1880s, when the British, French and German governments began seriously to carve up the interior of West Africa between them. It took them twenty years or so, during which they stopped the slave trade and human sacrifice while encouraging Christian missionary work. A key figure was a forceful British colonial administrator, Frederick Lugard. After experience in India and East Africa, he was in his mid-thirties in 1894 when he was approached by Sir George Goldie, head of the Royal Niger Company, which, to the annoyance of the French, had seized control of the River Niger with its own fleet of twenty gunboats. Goldie recruited Lugard in a race against the French to sign a trading agreement with a key chief in the interior. He was successful, at the cost of a poisoned arrow in the head. In 1897 Joseph Chamberlain commissioned Lugard to raise and train the new West African Frontier Force, recruited from the local tribes, with British officers. Three years later the government terminated the Royal Niger Company’s contract and established separate protectorates over northern and southern Nigeria, with Lugard in charge of 300,000 square miles in the north, still largely unexplored by Europeans. Under the principles agreed at a conference in Berlin in 1885, it was necessary for a colonial power not merely to announce that it had taken over a particular region, but to establish a visible administration there. Other imperialists would then back politely away. British dominance of northern Nigeria was far more theoretical than real in 1900, but Lugard proceeded to make it a reality, more by bargaining and diplomacy with the local rulers than by force. His principle was always that colonial power was best exercised indirectly, through the local chiefs and structures already in place.

By 1902, however, he found it necessary to subdue the principal Fulani emirates. The colonial office was opposed to the use of force, but Lugard was not a man to be constrained by Whitehall. Kano was a major trading centre with a flourishing slave market, defended by mailed horsemen and protected by walls up to 40ft thick and 50ft high. Lugard sent against it a Frontier Force detachment of some 700 African soldiers, their British officers, four artillery pieces and four machine guns. They were led by Colonel T.L.N. Morland, an adventurous Canadian officer (he ended up as General Sir Thomas Morland). The defenders fired from the walls, but the artillery breached a gate and when the storming party formed up, the defenders departed, leaving the city to be taken. The population seemed either unconcerned or positively relieved and the British emptied the town’s noxious jail, which was so small and crowded that prisoners were regularly trampled to death. The Frontier Force went on to take Sokoto the following month after the reigning sultan, Attahiru, had fled. The British installed his brother in his place and caught up with Attahiru, who was cut down by a stray bullet during a skirmish. The Fulani were between a rock and a hard place. Even if they stopped the British, they would be promptly invaded by the French. They made terms with Lugard, who confirmed the emirs in office when they agreed to be guided by British Residents in future. There was to be no interference with Islamic religion and law, but slave trading was banned and domestic slavery was to be phased out. There was more trouble with some of the Fulani emirs, but by 1906 Lugard was fully in control and in 1914 northern and southern Nigeria were merged into Britain’s largest African colony, with Sir Frederick Lugard as Governor-General. In 1922 he wrote: ‘For two or three generations we may show the Negro what we are: then we shall be asked to go away. Then we shall leave the land to those it belongs to, with the feeling that they have better business friends in us.
Lugard to the Queen wrote : He has not placed Educated Nigerians in place of power , as this would keep them from revolts and under economic control "

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by westlius(m): 9:44pm On May 03, 2023
So na this man wey carry us come Nija

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by Authoreety: 7:35am On May 04, 2023
Lugard is a mad man
Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by SporaD8: 9:32am On May 04, 2023
Authoreety:
Lugard is a mad man
Not Mad per se.
However, the below quotes made him eternally complicit in Nigeria's troubles and woes,
"Lugard to the Queen wrote : He has not placed Educated Nigerians in place of power , as this would keep them from revolts and under economic control."
Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:45am On May 04, 2023
westlius:
So na this man wey carry us come Nija

But we can undo what he did
Can't we?
Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:02am On May 04, 2023
Authoreety:
Lugard is a mad man
Lol 🙂 story has it that he and his colleagues carried out his campaigns, operations on foot trekking from one state to another in Nigeria, snake bite him atleast 4 times.

The man was very rugged.
Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by TheSourcerer: 12:09pm On May 04, 2023
SporaD8:

Not Mad per se.
However, the below quotes made him eternally complicit in Nigeria's troubles and woes,
Thank you smiley
Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by Bukky001(m): 12:27pm On May 04, 2023
Front page material
Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by KingMack(m): 12:29pm On May 04, 2023
Authoreety:
Lugard is a mad man

Thunder fire that man angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by Nobody: 12:40pm On May 04, 2023
Luggard and Queen Elizabeth caused the problems we are facing today.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by TheSourcerer: 12:44pm On May 04, 2023
Bukky001:
Front page material
For some reason it never does , I've written about 700 topics and just one ever made it to FP and that was because it was a post on nostalgic pictures

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by Spy360(m): 1:53pm On May 04, 2023
TheSourcerer:
For some reason it never does , I've written about 700 topics and just one ever made it to FP and that was because it was a post on nostalgic pictures
Wow!

You should be paid honestly.

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by madscientist88(m): 4:48pm On May 04, 2023
why was history banned in Nigerian schools again?

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by LikeAking: 5:36pm On May 04, 2023
madscientist88:
why was history banned in Nigerian schools again?

WHO HISTORY EPP?

HISTORY MUST BE BANNED FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD...

HE DEY MAKE PEOPLE THINK BACKWARD AND OUTDATED...
Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by Nlanalyst: 6:02pm On May 04, 2023
Miracood2:
Luggard and Queen Elizabeth caused the problems we are facing today.
I didn't read what the OP wrote but Queen Elizabeth II came into the picture at a latter time. Not during this period.
Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by madscientist88(m): 6:11pm On May 04, 2023
LikeAking:

WHO HISTORY EPP?

whats your IQ score?
Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by Jecci(f): 6:19pm On May 04, 2023
E really reach to ask him cos what he spewed is trash
madscientist88:
whats your IQ score?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by madscientist88(m): 6:29pm On May 04, 2023
Jecci:
E really reach to ask him cos what he spewed is trash
its sad , people who dont even know their level of intellectual status want to engage people on intellectual topics.

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:56pm On May 04, 2023
Nlanalyst:

I didn't read what the OP wrote but Queen Elizabeth II came into the picture at a latter time. Not during this period.
maybe he He is mistaking the late Queen for the late Queen Victoria
Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by Nlanalyst: 9:29pm On May 04, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:
maybe he He is mistaking the late Queen for the late Queen Victoria
Na ignorance.
Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by KingMack(m): 12:47am On May 05, 2023
TheSourcerer:

Bro you've been bringing good contents here that cld hit fp bt the mods will jus ignore and it's so 😢

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by TheSourcerer: 12:08pm On May 06, 2023
LikeAking:

WHO HISTORY EPP?

I appreciate your comment but how does history make "people" think backward , in all honesty I would to know except if trolling , either way Thank you for your comment smiley
Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by TheSourcerer: 12:10pm On May 06, 2023
madscientist88:
its sad , people who dont even know their level of intellectual status want to engage people on intellectual topics.
Hi hello smiley this is a random text to remind you to smile, trust me it helps ease the stress and releases serotonin the happy hormone🥰 really do wish you a great happy day ahead
Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by Jeon(f): 12:25pm On May 06, 2023
hi long time.
I will message you.
Can't find ur contact. 🙏

3 Likes

Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by LikeAking: 1:19pm On May 06, 2023
TheSourcerer:
I appreciate your comment but how does history make "people" think backward , in all honesty I would to know except if trolling , either way Thank you for your comment smiley

Reading about past historical event have a negative effect on our brains, mind, etc...

You mind will be programed to think appreciate backwards thinking.
Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by TheSourcerer: 3:22pm On May 06, 2023
LikeAking:

Reading about past historical event have a negative effect on our brains, mind, etc...

You mind will be programed to think appreciate backwards thinking.
True but in very very rare almost non existent probability because people read/study history I've noticed are somewhat savy especially in experience, so I doubt it would reprogram the brain to appreciate backwards thinking. Again I do appreciate your comment , how is your day going so far smiley?
Re: Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 by TheSourcerer: 3:23pm On May 06, 2023
Jeon:
hi long time.
I will message you.
Can't find ur contact. 🙏
Hey Jeon I actually switched WhatsApp so I'll tag you on a dead thread my contact smiley

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

NUC Faults 331 Varsity Courses* Says Lecturers Are Incompetent / Ican Intermediate / Covenant University Screening Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.