Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) (44633 Views)

Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 / School Friends Who Travelled Abroad Share 4-Year Throwback Photo / Who Sold Nigeria To The British For £865k In 1899? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by peleson1: 10:51pm On Feb 10, 2022
Throwback picture of a school in Opobo in Rivers State in 1899, photograph was taken by Nigeria's first ever Photographer Jonathan Adagogo Green

Education arrived in Opobo early.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZzQr08N8NF/

30 Likes

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by peleson1: 10:54pm On Feb 10, 2022
SOME MODs here are highly manipulative....they deleted my post and put theirs..

Here...low memory has refused the pix to upload..
People just throwing jabs and counter jabs..
First of all..find out what a city state is or was as of that time...
Nothing said here was a wrong information.
First Anglican Church in Nigeria is St.Stephens in Ibani territory of Bonny before Opobo left Bonny to Opobo.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by aribisala0(m): 10:57pm On Feb 10, 2022
Funny

Find out what was happening in Lagos around the same time

https://www.nairaland.com/4144976/lagos-1898before-nigeria-not-oil

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Beejayy20(m): 10:57pm On Feb 10, 2022
peleson1:
A school in opobo as far back as 1899

Opobo remains the first city state in West Africa.
The first town to be planned in West Africa.
meaning?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by gasparpisciotta: 10:58pm On Feb 10, 2022
Waiting for the picture

Modified

This one na pose for camera

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Ofodirinwa: 11:01pm On Feb 10, 2022
peleson1:

It's the first city state to someone that doesn't know better.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 11:01pm On Feb 10, 2022
Opobo that's just a district is what this one is hyping. It's not even up to ten years that their women stopped walking around naked.Mtcheww

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by FreeStuffsNG: 11:07pm On Feb 10, 2022
peleson1:

Please don't come on a public forum and brazenly make outlandishly false claims.

Even if the purported school was founded in 1899 which I know is most likely false,there is no way it can be first in anything when even 20 years before 1899 a Sapara Williams had already been called to the English bar and some Nigerans Chief Ajasa,Q.C a signatory for the Lagos Colony with the British was already educated folk, the likes of Dr. JC Vaughan were getting ready to go overseas to study medicine, the likes of Pharm. TKE Phillips had started thinking of a career in Pharmacy and some years later opened the first Pharmacy in Lagos.

Let me not mention the likes of Herbert Macaulay, Henry Carr, Da Rocha, Bishop Ajayi Crowther, Shitta-Bey, Revd Ransome-Kuti etc who had covered some milestones around that time.

Please try and read wide.

85 Likes 8 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by aribisala0(m): 11:10pm On Feb 10, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

Please don't come on a public forum and brazenly make false.
Even if the school was founded in 1899 which I know is most likely false,there is no way it can be first in anything when even before then a Sapara Williams had already been called to the English bar and some Nigerans like Dr. JC Vaughan were getting ready to go overseas to study medicine, the likes of Pharm. TK Phillips had opened the first Pharmacy in Lagos.
Please try and read wide.
Did you read what you are contending properly?
I don't believe he said what you are suggesting> I did not read anywhere he said it was the first school
He talked about first city state which of course is nonsense but that is another matter

19 Likes

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by FreeStuffsNG: 11:11pm On Feb 10, 2022
aribisala0:
Did you read what you are contending properly?
I don't believe he said what you are suggesting> I did not read anywhere he said it was the first school
He talked about first city state which of course is nonsense but that is another matter

No claim he made there about Opobo can stand if anyone is false the other claims are likely false and ,as logic will say, fallacious.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by BKayy: 11:16pm On Feb 10, 2022
Iyaebe:
Opobo that's just a district is what this one is hyping. It's not even up to ten years that their women stopped walking around naked.Mtcheww
Like the women below?

Lol, Afonjas have loud mouth until those with their receipts like me show up.
Bring it on if you have balls

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by FreeStuffsNG: 11:24pm On Feb 10, 2022
BKayy:

Like the women below?

Bring it on if you have balls ehmm sorry Nipples.
Hahaha. this can never be Ijebu. And Ijebu is not Lagos.

Go to Ijebu, go and see Chief Adeola Odutola colonial majestic castle like building still standing and well maintained till date.

Two things you can not associate with the Yoruba; unclothedness and Cannibalism.

Yoruba don't have a history of walking naked and cannibalism.

And here is why; the Yoruba have centuries old cloth weaving technology called Ofi or Asooke and the yoruba have always had food in abundance because there is abundance of water bodies and land. That is why the Yoruba are not land locked and barren.

Those two are never part of Yoruba culture.

71 Likes 11 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by christistruth01: 11:24pm On Feb 10, 2022
peleson1:

Ibadan,Lagos , Abeokuta , Owo , Warri ,Kano, Zaria were all City States

Oba Ewuare demolished old Benin and planned and rebuilt a new Benin in the fifteenth century, he had sent some of his men to Portugal for Education

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 11:32pm On Feb 10, 2022
I don't know you but I appreciate what you do in defending our dignity from these online keyboard warriors. You have been doing us proud,I really mean us,everyone, a lot of them you dont know but you are spoken well of outside this forum...thumbs up and one love. Loud it.

BKayy:

Like the women below?

22 Likes

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by BKayy: 11:35pm On Feb 10, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

Go to Ijebu, go and see Chief Adeola Odutola majestic building still standing. Yoruba don't have a history of walking naked and cannibalism.
LOL. It is amazing that Chief Adeola whatever has a magnificent building standing when the Alaafin of Oyo literally lived inside grasses and palm fronds after 8 decades of British contact.
Chai Afonja, softly dey lie oh grin

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 11:36pm On Feb 10, 2022
If you cannot counter that simple image please slide out..Your comment stinks.

FreeStuffsNG:

Go to Ijebu, go and see Chief Adeola Odutola colonial majestic castle like building still standing and well maintained till date.

Two things you can not associate with the Yoruba; unclothedness and Cannibalism.

Yoruba don't have a history of walking naked and cannibalism.And here is why; the Yoruba have centuries old cloth weaving technology called Ofi or Asooke and the yoruba have always had food in abundance because there is abundance of water bodies and land. That is why the Yoruba are not land locked and barren.

Those two are never part of Yoruba culture.

20 Likes

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 11:37pm On Feb 10, 2022
Loud it

[quote author=BKayy post=110128866][/quote]

3 Likes

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by BKayy: 11:50pm On Feb 10, 2022
OyeofIkoTuN:

I don't know you but I appreciate what you do in defending our dignity from these online keyboard warriors. You have been doing us proud,I really mean us,everyone, a lot of them you dont know but you are spoken well of outside this forum...thumbs up and one love. Loud it.

Thank you

17 Likes

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by FreeStuffsNG: 11:53pm On Feb 10, 2022
[quote author=BKayy post=110128866][/quote]

At least you agree that unclothedness has never been part of Yoruba wink

unclothedness and cannibalism are never part of Yoruba culture.

As regards late Chief Odutola, his estate and legacies including one of the old elitist secondary schools called Adeola Odutola College,Ijebu Ode, is still standing till date.

His castle was completed in 1939 and this was decades after the picture of the old Alafin.

https://theinfong.com/2020/02/the-majestic-castle-built-by-late-yoruba-billionaire-adeola-odutola-queen-elizabeth-reportedly-spent-a-night-in-this-edifice-photos/amp/

Thank you for the old picture of the Alaafin and his Olori in authentic handwoven aso ofi. Yoruba do not go naked or eat human flesh.

Let me not promote this thread of falsehood that has started derailing into unintelligent and obscene ethnic bashing by posting here again. Thank you for your time sir.

33 Likes 7 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 11:57pm On Feb 10, 2022
na me go dey tell you thank You

BKayy:

Thank you

3 Likes

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by basty: 11:59pm On Feb 10, 2022
When was C.M.S Grammar school founded? 6/6/1859

Blatant liar and uninformed nincompoop in my village man language.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by aribisala0(m): 12:00am On Feb 11, 2022
BKayy:

LOL. It is amazing that Chief Adeola whatever has a magnificent building standing when the Alaafin of Oyo literally lived inside grasses and palm fronds after 8 decades of British contact.
Chai Afonja, softly dey lie oh grin
That is where the Allaafin lived?

What is that place in the photo called?

3 Likes

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by BKayy: 12:01am On Feb 11, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

As regards late Chief Odutola, his estate and legacies including one of the old elitist secondary schools called Adeola Odutola College,Ijebu Ode, is still standing till date.

His castle was completed in 1939 and this was decades after the picture of the old Alafin.

https://theinfong.com/2020/02/the-majestic-castle-built-by-late-yoruba-billionaire-adeola-odutola-queen-elizabeth-reportedly-spent-a-night-in-this-edifice-photos/amp/

No need to worry yourself. Ade whatever you call him was born in 1902 and Sir Louis Ojukwu was born 1909.
So both are mates and hit their prime at the same generation but Sir Loius Ojukwu was the richest at that age, time and Generation.
I hope you get where I am driving at.

Whatever Ade... built can never match that of Sir Loius Ojukwu of the same Generation.
No need to post pictures grin

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 12:04am On Feb 11, 2022
Loud it

BKayy:

No need to worry yourself. Ade whatever you call him was born in 1902 and Sir Louis Ojukwu was born 1909.
So both are mates, hit their prime at the same generation but Sir Loius Ojukwu was the richest at the age, time and Generation.
I hope you get where I am driving at.

Whatever Ade whatever built can never match Sir Loius Ojukwu of the same Generation.
No need to post pictures grin

14 Likes

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by basty: 12:04am On Feb 11, 2022
peleson1:

You be Olodo o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by BKayy: 12:11am On Feb 11, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

At least you agree that unclothedness has never been part of Yoruba wink

unclothedness and cannibalism are never part of Yoruba culture.

This speaks of how low you know Yoruba culture. I've already posted one of your pictures. You Yorubas don't actually have any indigenous cloth. What you call Aso Oké is Fulani material imposed on Ilorin Yorubas which later spread to encompass Oyo.

As for Cannibalism, you might need to explain what happened at Oyo during Endsars or the case of Owolabi, his mother and his girlfriends heart or that of your ancient Ogboni cult

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by PressMyButton: 12:35am On Feb 11, 2022
BKayy:

Like the women below?

Those are not Yoruba women. Yoruba women cannot be found unclothed like ibo women whose pictorial evidences are replete with unclothedness.
Moreover, no Yoruba woman sat on a kind of royal stool back in the day. It is sacrilege that Yoruba women take a seat in a royal posturing with bead-like ornaments around their neck.

51 Likes 8 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by aribisala0(m): 12:35am On Feb 11, 2022
BKayy:

Like the women below?

What is wrong with those women?

2 Likes

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Conner44: 12:37am On Feb 11, 2022
Pliss pliss make una dey yab these afonjas small small. Night don reach abeg

Night heart attack na him dey kill person pass oh shocked

6 Likes

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by BKayy: 12:40am On Feb 11, 2022
PressMyButton:

Those are not Yoruba women. Yoruba women cannot be found unclothed like ibo women whose pictorial evidences are replete with unclothedness.
Moreover, no Yoruba woman sat on a kinda of royal stool back in the day. It is sacrilege that Yoruba women take a seat in a royal posturing with bead-like ornaments around their neck.
As expected of Afonjas at the emboldened, you have denied them immediately.
Those pictures are actually recent (colonial-wise) and are one of the fairest I can use so that some people can sleep without nightmares today.

My dear, in as much as you are an Afonja, there are things you don't need to deny/betray because you can't push it to another person. Just look at the women, their facial look and characteristic ugliness (if I may use the word) is typical of Afonjas

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by PressMyButton: 12:44am On Feb 11, 2022
BKayy:

This speaks of how low you know Yoruba culture. I've already posted one of your pictures. You Yorubas don't actually have any indigenous cloth. What you call Aso Oké is Fulani material imposed on Ilorin Yorubas which later spread to encompass Oyo.

As for Cannibalism, you might need to explain what happened at Oyo during Endsars or the case of Owolabi, his mother and his girlfriends heart or that of your ancient Ogboni cult

If Aso oke was fulani material, can you tell us what the material is called in fulfude?. Can you also explain why such fabrics are not found among the fulanis. After all, You can only give what you have. If Aso oke is to the fulanis, can you show us a pix of a fulani adorned in Aso oke attire?

And as for Cannibalism.. Pls you can't change the narratives. You guys are genetically flesh eaters from prehistory.

44 Likes 10 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Do You Still Remember Your School Anthem? / Maths Teacher On His Way To Class For Double Period Lesson. / Moment Secondary School Students Outran Police Officer In Owerri, Imo (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.