Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,097 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Must A Woman Have Her Hair Cut Because Of Her Husband's Death? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must A Woman Have Her Hair Cut Because Of Her Husband's Death? (2703 Views)

Uk-based Wife Disrupts Wedding Between Her Husband & New Wife - pics / 10 Things Every Pregnant Wife Needs From Her Husband / See What This Wife Did To Her Husband(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Must A Woman Have Her Hair Cut Because Of Her Husband's Death? by xynerise: 10:52pm On Sep 24, 2011
This is kind of a tradition in some part of d eastern part of Nigeria. Sometimes they ask the children both male and female to barb their hairs too. I want to know if this is compulsory.
Re: Must A Woman Have Her Hair Cut Because Of Her Husband's Death? by pslm23(f): 2:48am On Sep 25, 2011
When my dad died, my mom was told she had to subject herself to the shaving tradition. She categorically said No becos of her job. They now told her to pay some money then and she did. She also paid for my younger sis who was still single and at risk of having her long hair cut off. My dad had anyway told us b4 he passed on not to practice such. Of course we will be in mourning for the duration given and wear black but nobody is shaving anyone's hair.

Now, when my mom died 3 years ago, we were just supposed to celebrate her her life and not do any overly tradition thing, but my brothers and sisters and I decided that for our mom, we will shave our heads and complete the whole morning period. My mom was our rock, the spine that held us kids together. The love she poured on us everyday was insurmountable. Shaving our heads was our way of saying We Love you Forever.

So to answer your question OP, i don't think it's by force unless one wants it done. Now a days, money will buy anything and solve any problem.
Re: Must A Woman Have Her Hair Cut Because Of Her Husband's Death? by xynerise: 5:30am On Sep 25, 2011
Awww! Sorry for d losses.

(1) (Reply)

Best Christmas Hampers Collection And Prices In Nigeria 2023 / .... / Pray For Mysticgals Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.