Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,681 members, 7,827,517 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

Is It Advisable To Mix A Coolant With Water Before Putting It Into A Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Advisable To Mix A Coolant With Water Before Putting It Into A Car? (700 Views)

For A Budget Of ₦‎4M: Which Of These Cars Is Advisable To Buy? / Toyota Corolla Hatchback: Is Nigerian Used Of This Car Advisable??? / Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Advisable To Mix A Coolant With Water Before Putting It Into A Car? by perfectbuy(m): 12:24pm On May 08, 2023
Antifreeze and water are mixed to create coolant, which circulates throughout the cooling system to control engine temperature. The coolant that passes through the car's engine absorbs the heat that the engine produces while it is running and transports the heat absorbed out of the engine block to the radiator to cool off to be returned to the engine in a circulatory fashion.

Please follow the link below to read more:
https://www.spotdem.com/2023/05/08/is-it-advisable-to-mix-a-coolant-with-water-before-putting-it-into-a-car/

Re: Is It Advisable To Mix A Coolant With Water Before Putting It Into A Car? by Dwightventures(m): 10:30pm On May 10, 2023
WARNING!

If you're in Nigeria or the tropics in general, do not buy or use coolant. If you have too much money and excessive love for your car, go and buy distilled water and put in radiator after flushing all the coolant out. I personally use rain water and you obviously don't need too much if your cooling system is fine (not leaking).

There are mostly disadvantages living in Nigeria but this is the one place there's an advantage. Ditto the people I hear who use 0w30 oil in their engines. Omo, una don go abload before to check out what their temperatures read there? In winter ordinary water will freeze and break their engine. Fela said "if you dey follow follow, make you open eye open sense… "

Trust me I've bought my own share of coolant and some still remain somewhere sef by the time I realised how silly I was and jettisoned the thing from my radiator.

Coolant is not nearly as efficient in removing heat from engines as water. It is used in temperate climates to prevent freezing.

Oya pay me

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Mix A Coolant With Water Before Putting It Into A Car? by olumzzz(m): 5:42am On May 11, 2023
Dwightventures:
WARNING!

If you're in Nigeria or the tropics in general, do not buy or use coolant. If you have too much money and excessive love for your car, go and buy distilled water and put in radiator after flushing all the coolant out. I personally use rain water and you obviously don't need too much if your cooling system is fine (not leaking).

There are mostly disadvantages living in Nigeria but this is the one place there's an advantage. Ditto the people I hear who use 0w30 oil in their engines. Omo, una don go abload before to check out what their temperatures read there? In winter ordinary water will freeze and break their engine. Fela said "if you dey follow follow, make you open eye open sense… "

Trust me I've bought my own share of coolant and some still remain somewhere sef by the time I realised how silly I was and jettisoned the thing from my radiator.

Coolant is not nearly as efficient in removing heat from engines as water. It is used in temperate climates to prevent freezing.

Oya pay me

So are you saying the only job of a coolant is its antifreeze capability?
What about preventing rust, lubricating water pump, increasing boiling point, amongst others?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Mix A Coolant With Water Before Putting It Into A Car? by 9icetoo(m): 6:35am On May 11, 2023
olumzzz:

So are you saying the only job of a coolant is its antifreeze capability?
What about preventing rust, lubricating water pump, increasing boiling point, amongst others?
Leave am make he dey play.

We play too much in this country.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Mix A Coolant With Water Before Putting It Into A Car? by olumzzz(m): 7:36am On May 11, 2023
9icetoo:

Leave am make he dey play.

We play too much in this country.
Na them dey buy radiator every year after patching beyond repairs

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Mix A Coolant With Water Before Putting It Into A Car? by 9jatriot(m): 10:46am On May 11, 2023
The problem I have with coolants in Nigeria are that most of them are just water with colored dyes. Anyone knows if one can get glycol to buy so that one can make one yourself?

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Mix A Coolant With Water Before Putting It Into A Car? by Angrygoat: 9:31pm On May 11, 2023
Use distilled water from your AC. It works like magic and the cooling system tripples. All coolant in naija are fake,except abro that looks like can. I thinknits abt 2500 per liter. The original yellow silver can,like canned pepsi

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Speedometer Misbehaving And Seems To Be Affecting Gear / Mechanic / Need Help! Who Know This Wheels Name? (pic.)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.