Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,002 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Is The Government Responsible For Unemployment Or Is It You? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is The Government Responsible For Unemployment Or Is It You? (7300 Views)

Casual Workers Responsible For Fraud In Banks – NDIC, CIBN / Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? / Is Automation Responsible For Unemployment ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Government Responsible For Unemployment Or Is It You? by Larrywiz(m): 12:11am On Sep 26, 2011
It is true that unemployment is an issue in most countries, especially the developing ones. Millions of people graduate every year and the next thing on their minds is to seek for jobs. Little do they know that they are just going to join the millions already out there who have no jobs. They obediently join the queue and the "wait for the job" syndrome flows down to them. Getting a job is not bad but waiting for the job to come to you is just not the best. That job you're waiting for is going to get to other people on the same queue before it gets to you.

If the job eventually gets to you, what do you do? Do you let it also pass you by or do you counter it and make your position its dead end?

Realizing that we create our own future is very important here but not many know how to do this. One reason is because we have not answered a very important question which is: "Are we students ready to leave school for the outside world?" What do you think?

Find out Robert Kiyosaki's opinion on this and what others are saying: http://www.deep-think..com/2011/09/unemployed-whats-your-excuse.html
Re: Is The Government Responsible For Unemployment Or Is It You? by yamakuza: 1:37am On Oct 04, 2011
Re: Is The Government Responsible For Unemployment Or Is It You? by AjanleKoko: 5:12am On Oct 04, 2011
Regardless of what Kiyosaki says (by the way, I am a strong admirer of the man), government in Nigeria is 101% responsible for unemployment.
The political structure has produced very little by way of policies and infrastructure that will support job creation.

Government in Nigeria, embodied by the various greedy and devilish power brokers who have held sway for decades and who keep ensuring they or their puppets hold the reins of power in perpetuity, have continually pushed their singular ideology - rent seeking and overt looting of the treasury - since Independence. They have held all of Nigeria's resources hostage, and milk them for their own personal gain.
Re: Is The Government Responsible For Unemployment Or Is It You? by yamakuza: 12:00pm On Oct 04, 2011
Truly truly, the govt has a large role to play wrt infrastructure, policies and enabling environment but we cannot completely absolve or alienate the common man sometimes exhibiting:

- Ignorance
- Apathy
- Garri and Soup mentality
- Playing sentimental politics leading to wrong choice of leaders
- etc.

It kinda reminds me of The Richest Man in Babylon where the King distributed the wealth of all the rich men amongst the poor.

Though initially happy, thinking their liberation had come, they were soon back to begging and the rich became even richer.

The govt can only do so much. We need to do the rest first, methinks.
Re: Is The Government Responsible For Unemployment Or Is It You? by Larrywiz(m): 3:54pm On Oct 04, 2011
I completely agree with you yamakuza. Sometimes we push all the responsibility to the government without doing anything to solve our problems. As you said, the Govt can only do so much.
Re: Is The Government Responsible For Unemployment Or Is It You? by AjanleKoko: 7:05pm On Oct 04, 2011
yamakuza:

Truly truly, the govt has a large role to play wrt infrastructure, policies and enabling environment but we cannot completely absolve or alienate the common man sometimes exhibiting:

- Ignorance
- Apathy
- Garri and Soup mentality
- Playing sentimental politics leading to wrong choice of leaders
- etc.

It kinda reminds me of The Richest Man in Babylon where the King distributed the wealth of all the rich men amongst the poor.

Though initially happy, thinking their liberation had come, they were soon back to begging and the rich became even richer.

The govt can only do so much. We need to do the rest first, methinks.

I'll only agree with you if you agree with me that your points refer more to the educated 'elite' in Nigeria. They're the ones who are guilty of all those nuances. Not the uneducated poor.

Most times, it is the empowered elite that is the problem of any nation. In Nigeria, the empowered elite is mostly not entrepreneural. But guess what, the common man is. They are the guys who sell in the market, your barber, vulcanizer, bricklayer or mason, groundnut seller, etc. They're not looking for jobs, but they do need a guarantee that their fundamental rights will not be trampled upon. They need access to social infrastructure, medical care, credit-based assistance, banking services, etc.
Plus, usually they are the ones who go out to vote, in every election in Nigeria. The educated elite are usually too scared of getting beat up by thugs to even step out of their houses on election day.

Why I say government is responsible? Government is made up of elites, who only try to serve their interests. It's like that all over the world. Nigeria's case is worse because our own leaders choose to appropriate all the wealth, and do very little in return. No investments, no policies to aid private investments. It's a catch-22 in most cases. Even the few schemes that are floated by government tend to get hijacked by same government or well-placed elites, and hardly ever gets to filter to the common man.

P.S: I'm not a big fan of that book, it only promotes opportunism.
Re: Is The Government Responsible For Unemployment Or Is It You? by yamakuza: 7:30pm On Oct 04, 2011
^ hmmn. Still thinking. Brb!
Re: Is The Government Responsible For Unemployment Or Is It You? by yamakuza: 9:17am On Oct 06, 2011
AjanleKoko:

I'll only agree with you if you agree with me that your points refer more to the educated 'elite' in Nigeria. They're the ones who are guilty of all those nuances. Not the uneducated poor.

THE EDUCATED ELITE ARE NEITHER IGNORANT NOR APATHETIC. THEY HAVE PASSED THE 'WETIN WE GO CHOP' STAGE TO 'WETIN I WAN CHOP' STATE. THEY ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE POLITICAL PLAYERS OR WATCHDOGS THAN THEY ARE TO SELL THEIR VOTES.

Most times, it is the empowered elite that is the problem of any nation. In Nigeria, the empowered elite is mostly not entrepreneural.
ABIOLA, DOKPESI, DANGOTE, OKOYA, ETC? In Nigeria, almost everyone has to be entrepreneural or else eke out a living

But guess what, the common man is. They are the guys who sell in the market, your barber, vulcanizer, bricklayer or mason, groundnut seller, etc. They're not looking for jobs, but they do need a guarantee that their fundamental rights will not be trampled upon. They need access to social infrastructure, medical care, credit-based assistance, banking services, etc.

WE ALL NEED THIS BASIC NECCESSITIES, ACTUALLY

Plus, usually they are the ones who go out to vote, in every election in Nigeria.

MOST LIKELY CAJOLED, AND MORE LIKELY TO SELL THEIR VOTE FOR FOOD AT THE POLLS

The educated elite are usually too scared of getting beat up by thugs to even step out of their houses on election day.
NOT THE ONES I KNOW. AT LEAST NOT THE ONES ON NL

Why I say government is responsible? Government is made up of elites, who only try to serve their interests. It's like that all over the world.
TAKES MONEY TO PLAY POLITICS, WHICH THEY INTEND TO RECOUP

Nigeria's case is worse because our own leaders choose to appropriate all the wealth, and do very little in return. No investments, no policies to aid private investments. It's a catch-22 in most cases. Even the few schemes that are floated by government tend to get hijacked by same government or well-placed elites, and hardly ever gets to filter to the common man.

I AGREE

P.S: I'm not a big fan of that book, it only promotes opportunism.

BUT ITS AN AGE OLD EXAMPLE TO SHOW THAT GOVTS AS FAR BACK AS BABYLONIAN TIMES CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH

Lets agree to agree?

(1) (Reply)

Learning The Art Of Networking / Nahco To Sack 3000 Aviation Workers / PHOTOS: Tuc's Food Union (FOBTOB) In An Ongoing Nationwide Industrial Action.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.