Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:19 AM

Why Do Some Parents Of Children With Special Needs Get So Careless With Them? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Some Parents Of Children With Special Needs Get So Careless With Them? (433 Views)

Mubarak Sanyaolu: Parents Of Lagos Boy Killed By Stray Bullet Welcome Twins / Meet Parents Of Boy In Calm Down Viral Video (photos) / Help: My Wife Is So Careless With Our Kid….!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some Parents Of Children With Special Needs Get So Careless With Them? by buygala(m): 2:58pm On May 10, 2023
I have noticed a quite disturbing trend in this country...

Some parents deliberately or inadvertently get careless with their special needs kids.. An example is in this thread which is presently on frontpage on this forum, where the op alleges that an autistic child left to roam his compound unmonitored bullies his son, and that he has always had to check and recheck his surroundings before he reverses his car in the area to avoid running over the autistic child.. Yet his mother seems unconcerned and lets him roam freely..See link to the thread here
https://www.nairaland.com/7682761/it-ideal-ask-ones-kid

Such carelessness might be translated to mean that these parents/guardians perversely hope that some accident will come kill the child, thus freeing them of the immense burden of taking care of such kid...

Knowing fully well that these impaired kids are incapable of making judgment calls to safeguard themselves, it's mind-boggling why these children are left by their parents/guardians to roam the streets unmonitored... It's already bad enough allowing healthy kids to roam unmonitored.. But special needs kids?.... That's being an accessory to murder or Grievous Hurt.

What these parents/guardians can't bring themselves to do, they creat an environment for chance to help them out

It's quite certain that these parents if confronted, will vehemently deny wishing these kids dead, but their actions prove otherwise..

As much as I have identified the problem, I have no practical advice or solution for this to give to such parents, being neither special needs nor having a special needs child...i hope parents here with special needs kids will share some tidbits on how other such parents/guardians and even outsiders can increase the environmental safety of these delicate children.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Parents Of Children With Special Needs Get So Careless With Them? by VeryWickedPrick: 3:32pm On May 10, 2023
Because their needs are special and we don't have it.
Re: Why Do Some Parents Of Children With Special Needs Get So Careless With Them? by poshestmina(f): 10:46pm On May 10, 2023
Had one like that in a street I stayed,he just "slept and didn't wake up" ,till tomorrow, I'll never believe his parents are innocent.

Most of such parents don't spend a dime , and are not ready to... whatever expenses on them are a waste to the parents.
Worst part is how they are ready to hide them forever (Present Governor of my state has one ,those around Uniport/Choba can confirm !)

If this boy stoned a car or damaged anybody's properties,they will be replaced immediately ( but to carry him pikin keep for him house na wahala)🙄🙄

Even with all the available resources and all ,he still didn't want to identify with the boy.I'm not sure about now though.

I understand having such kids are financially , emotionally, physically and mentally draining but it's not their fault.

Just be extra careful around them and be on alert ,kolorun maje ki aba alakooba pade!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Parents Of Children With Special Needs Get So Careless With Them? by chigator2: 9:16am On May 31, 2023
poshestmina:
Had one like that in a street I stayed,he just "slept and didn't wake up" ,till tomorrow, I'll never believe his parents are innocent.

Most of such parents don't spend a dime , and are not ready to... whatever expenses on them are a waste to the parents.
Worst part is how they are ready to hide them forever (Present Governor of my state has one ,those around Uniport/Choba can confirm !)

If this boy stoned a car or damaged anybody's properties,they will be replaced immediately ( but to carry him pikin keep for him house na wahala)🙄🙄

Even with all the available resources and all ,he still didn't want to identify with the boy.I'm not sure about now though.

I understand having such kids are financially , emotionally, physically and mentally draining but it's not their fault.

Just be extra careful around them and be on alert ,kolorun maje ki aba alakooba pade!

which governor is that abeg

(1) (Reply)

Briffault’s Law / The Toothbrush / Xtra Neat Toyota Camry (spider) 2010/2007 Just Arrived In Phc From The US! Pics!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.