Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution (2197 Views)

Tinubu GCE falsification and Section 468 of the Criminal Code Act in Nigeria / 25% In FCT: Tribunal Dismisses LP/Obi Petition Against Tinubu / Buhari To Gradually Ease Lockdown In Lagos, FCT And Ogun From 4th May (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution by bdon123(m): 9:00pm On May 11, 2023
casualobserver:
Much has been made of the FCT and the requirement to score 25% to be declared president.

I however say such an interpretation of the requirement is unconstitutional and a breach of the rights of other citizens and I refer to section 42 of the constitution which states clearly that you cannot CREATE or IMPLEMENT a law in such a way that a citizen in one community is given advantage or disadvantage over a citizen in another community. By interpreting the 25% of FCT to mean that a presidential candidate MUST get 25% in FCT, you are giving advantage to citizens of the FCT and disadvantage to citizens of the other 36 states.

Section 42 of the constitution.

1) A citizen of Nigeria of a particular community, ethnic group, place of origin, sex, religion or political opinion shall not, by reason only that he is such a person:-
(a) be subjected either expressly by, or in the practical application of, any law in force in Nigeria or any executive or administrative action of the government, to disabilities or restrictions to which citizens of Nigeria of other communities, ethnic groups, places of origin, sex, religions or political opinions are not made subject; or
(b) be accorded either expressly by, or in the practical application of, any law in force in Nigeria or any such executive or administrative action, any privilege or advantage that is not accorded to citizens of Nigeria of other communities, ethnic groups, places of origin, sex, religions or political opinions.
Nonsense argument.its not abt emotion or feelings.Its all about English. Wat is d meaning of and?
There goes ur answer
Re: 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution by casualobserver: 9:19pm On May 11, 2023
Intrepid01:

My position in my last comment hasn’t changed!
neither has mine.....improve your english comprehension so you dont make a fool of yourself

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution by casualobserver: 9:23pm On May 11, 2023
bdon123:

Nonsense argument.its not abt emotion or feelings.Its all about English. Wat is d meaning of and?
There goes ur answer

and the same English says no law in Nigeria can confer on any citizen special advantage or priviledges over another simply by being a member of a community. Therefore any law that makes a resident of FCT special is invalid.

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution by Intrepid01(m): 3:54am On May 12, 2023
casualobserver:

neither has mine.....improve your english comprehension so you dont make a fool of yourself

Lol, you see you’re lacking in comprehension as well. After telling you it was a wrong quote you still think otherwise. You’re right bro, your parents failed you!!!
Re: 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution by hush15: 7:49am On May 12, 2023
casualobserver:
Much has been made of the FCT and the requirement to score 25% to be declared president.

I however say such an interpretation of the requirement is unconstitutional and a breach of the rights of other citizens and I refer to section 42 of the constitution which states clearly that you cannot CREATE or IMPLEMENT a law in such a way that a citizen in one community is given advantage or disadvantage over a citizen in another community. By interpreting the 25% of FCT to mean that a presidential candidate MUST get 25% in FCT, you are giving advantage to citizens of the FCT and disadvantage to citizens of the other 36 states.

Section 42 of the constitution.

1) A citizen of Nigeria of a particular community, ethnic group, place of origin, sex, religion or political opinion shall not, by reason only that he is such a person:-
(a) be subjected either expressly by, or in the practical application of, any law in force in Nigeria or any executive or administrative action of the government, to disabilities or restrictions to which citizens of Nigeria of other communities, ethnic groups, places of origin, sex, religions or political opinions are not made subject; or
(b) be accorded either expressly by, or in the practical application of, any law in force in Nigeria or any such executive or administrative action, any privilege or advantage that is not accorded to citizens of Nigeria of other communities, ethnic groups, places of origin, sex, religions or political opinions.

The Status isn't about the indigenous, it's about the territory. There is a reason why it is called the Federal Capital Territory in the first place. There is a reason it doesn't have commissioners but ministers. There is a reason why it didn't have governor but a President. The status of FCT is unquestionable because even all the Governors that report there knows its the power house of the new Nigeriaand not in the same pedestal as their states. FCT is not another accidental state but a careful mapped out territory with a proper masterplan that has been religiously followed. So, again, it is not about the people there that vote but the status of the territory where the votes were cast.

How can you be a president and not win the required margin for that territory, you will be rough on the place. You will be governing in hostility of the place.you are president and the people literally around you there don't even like you, paying eye or lip service....
Re: 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution by casualobserver: 7:56am On May 12, 2023
hush15:

The Status isn't about the indigenous, it's about the territory. There is a reason why it is called the Federal Capital Territory in the first place. There is a reason it doesn't have commissioners but ministers. There is a reason why it didn't have governor but a President. The status of FCT is unquestionable because even all the Governors that report there knows its the power house of the new Nigeriaand not in the same pedestal as their states. FCT is not another accidental state but a careful mapped out territory with a proper masterplan that has been religiously followed. So, again, it is not about the people there that vote but the status of the territory where the votes were cast.

How can you be a president and not win the required margin for that territory, you will be rough on the place. You will be governing in hostility of the place.you are president and the people literally around you there don't even like you, paying eye or lip service....

I am simply telling you what the law says. It is a question of fundamental human rights of the Nigerian citizen. All citizens are equal, no citizen’s vote can have more weight than another citizen simply because of where he resides. No law can be implemented in such away as it goves one citizen advantage or privilege over e other. It is not my opinion, That’s what the law says.

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution by bdon123(m): 9:54am On May 12, 2023
casualobserver:

and the same English says no law in Nigeria can confer on any citizen special advantage or priviledges over another simply by being a member of a community. Therefore any law that makes a resident of FCT special is invalid.

FCT is a special .FCT minister is not elected bt appointed. Whether we like it or not...it had special status
Re: 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution by casualobserver: 9:55am On May 12, 2023
bdon123:

FCT is a special .FCT minister is not elected bt appointed. Whether we like it or not...it had special status

It’s residents are not special…that is the point. Aso rock is a special place but the occupants are like every other Nigerian. Governors lodge in very state is a special place but the people who live there are not above the law because they live in the governors lodge, their votes do not carry any special power because they reside in the governor’s lodge.

2 Likes

Re: 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution by jerk: 10:13am On May 12, 2023
casualobserver:

It’s residents are not special…that is the point. Aso rock is a special place but the occupants are like every other Nigerian. Governors lodge in very state is a special place but the people who live there are not above the law because they live in the governors lodge, their votes do not carry any special power because they reside in the governor’s lodge.
stop making caricature of yourself. Why would you be interpreting the constitution upside down because you want the goal post shift to favour your president select.
Re: 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution by casualobserver: 10:57am On May 12, 2023
jerk:
stop making caricature of yourself. Why would you be interpreting the constitution upside down because you want the goal post shift to favour your president select.

You obidients have a habit f accusing people of doing exactly what you are doing. I am simply telling you that the fundamental human rights of every Nigerian is guaranteed in section 42 states that you cannot apply a law in such a way as to give a community a privilege or advantage that another community does not enjoy. It is there is plain English. The FCT vote cannot be a veto vote if the vote in other communities cannot veto a candidate.

It’s simple English. Free to read section 42 as many times as you need.

2 Likes

Re: 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution by udeh3(m): 11:13am On May 12, 2023
OneCandleAway:

Do you realise there are no house of assembly in abuja. No governor. The president is the governor in abuja. So requiring just 25% of votes is fair enough compared yo other state requirements.

And the reps and senators representing all regions, states and constituencies stays in Abuja including all ministers. The head of Abuja is the President himself

It's safe to say that, "Abuja is a prototype NIGERIA"

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution by hush15: 11:14am On May 12, 2023
casualobserver:

I am simply telling you what the law says. It is a question of fundamental human rights of the Nigerian citizen. All citizens are equal, no citizen’s vote can have more weight than another citizen simply because of where he resides. No law can be implemented in such away as it goves one citizen advantage or privilege over e other. It is not my opinion, That’s what the law says.

But the law never says 25% percent of the votes of people living in Abuja. It simply says FCT. It's a status requirement. Just like you passing waec with passing maths or english, all subjects are equally important but for you to gain admission, you can't but pass those two. It's not about who is writing it.
Re: 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution by casualobserver: 11:29am On May 12, 2023
hush15:

But the law never says 25% percent of the votes of people living in Abuja. It simply says FCT. It's a status requirement. Just like you passing waec with passing maths or english, all subjects are equally important but for you to gain admission, you can't but pass those two. It's not about who is writing it.

This thing is simple English. Jus5 don’t be surprised when the Supreme Court tells you Abuja vote is equal to other votes and cannot have more importance or privilege than other residents in determining the president.

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution by hush15: 1:55pm On May 12, 2023
casualobserver:

This thing is simple English. Jus5 don’t be surprised when the Supreme Court tells you Abuja vote is equal to other votes and cannot have more importance or privilege than other residents in determining the president.

Then again I re emphasize the fact that the election is not to contest whether states are equal or not but ran for the president of Nigeria and the law is clear on what is needed to be president.
Re: 25% In FCT And Section 42 Of The Constitution by casualobserver: 2:02pm On May 12, 2023
hush15:

Then again I re emphasize the fact that the election is not to contest whether states are equal or not but ran for the president of Nigeria and the law is clear on what is needed to be president.

My friend read section 42 again. If you cannot comprehend it’s implication, either because of your bias or a poor comprehension of English, I can’t help you. It is very clear, it is not my opinion, it is the law.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Farooq Kperogi: There Is No US Study Saying Igbos Are Smartest Tribe In Nigeria / "Funtua’s Son, Abubakar, Ugandan Associate, On The Run Over N28B Loot" - Jackson / Why Are The Ibos The Only Tribe That Always Vote Correctly In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.