Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,069 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:20 AM

Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista (11831 Views)

Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista / 2023: How PDP Won The Battle, While APC Won The War - TonyeBarcanista / 2023 Election: The Presidential Contenders And Pretenders - TonyeBarcanista (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by WorldRichest: 12:52pm On May 12, 2023
Of course, just watch as Emilokan Tinubu does his magic again.
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by WorldRichest: 12:55pm On May 12, 2023
Jestin:
Tinubu is as useless as Buhari. Nigerians should brace up for the incoming hardship

What you are calling unto your family, you will get it. Hardship nd poverty will definitely come to you
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by casualobserver: 12:58pm On May 12, 2023
TonyeBarcanista:
He isn't wrong bro. In the USA, the Speaker and Senate Leader (Since the VP is the Senate President) is usually the most ranked member of the majority party.

I don’t see the point in your post or the relevance to what I posted, I said the president influences who becomes speaker. I didn’t mention anything about who is most highly ranked.

My point was that despite the separation of powers the president influences the legislature and appoints the supreme court justices.
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by BRIMBRAM: 12:59pm On May 12, 2023
pineed:

Bro don't be deceived, there's hardly any country of the world that genuinely practice 💯 independence between Executive and Legislator. Even in Europe, US and co that we celebrate daily, the Powers that be have great influence in all political spheres. They just don't make it pronounced.

In an European country where I lived, the President has his allies in Parliament, Judiciary and co.

There's nothing like absolute independence of Power.

Exactly!

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by slashthroat: 1:01pm On May 12, 2023
Jostoman:
He will want to use his abracadabra to install his boy oshiomole the way they deduct atiku and obi result to win presidential election.

Mention 5 states whey deduction happen and how many votes were subtracted.
Upload with verifiable proof and i will give you clean $200

2 Likes

Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:01pm On May 12, 2023
pineed:
Good writeup Op.

Mehn Obj was more vindictive that I thought o. I use to think it was Tinubu he majorly had issues with in 1999/2000.
Obasanjo remains the most vindictive president of Nigeria.

The positive is that the NASS leadership forced Obasanjo to sit up because unlike the Lawan/Gbajabiamila NASS (no disrespect), they provided oversight on the Executive.

2 Likes

Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by 27Pushing30: 1:02pm On May 12, 2023
God1000:
Only in Nigeria, the executive isn't supposed to get involved with the NASS elections.

It's not good for our democracy

The three arms of government should function independently and act as checks and balances on each other

Is there ANY where in the world where the Executive does not meddle in the judicial and Legislative arms

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:03pm On May 12, 2023
casualobserver:

I don’t see the point in your post or the relevance to what I posted, I said the president influences who becomes speaker. I didn’t mention anything about who is most highly ranked.

My point was that despite the separation of powers the president influences the legislature and appoints the supreme court justices.
Influences? Is where I disagree.

In the USA, our model presidential democracy, irrespective of who emerges President, the Speaker and Senate leader is always occupied by the leaders of the majority party Caucus. This is why I disagree with you.

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by slashthroat: 1:04pm On May 12, 2023
TonyeBarcanista:

Obasanjo remains the most vindictive president of Nigeria.

The positive is that the NASS leadership forced Obasanjo to sit up because unlike the Lawan/Gbajabiamila NASS (no disrespect), they provided oversight on the Executive.

M6 friend stop speaking from two sides of your mouth.

Tinubu will succeed whether or not his "choices" lead the national assembly.
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by raumdeuter: 1:06pm On May 12, 2023
TonyeBarcanista:
He isn't wrong bro. In the USA, the Speaker and Senate Leader (Since the VP is the Senate President) is usually the most ranked member of the majority party.
What do you mean by most ranked?

Currently in the US, Is Speaker Kevin McCarthy the most ranked congress man?

Under Obama and Trump, Paul Ryan was speaker too

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by smartleo(m): 1:09pm On May 12, 2023
Jostoman:
He will want to use his abracadabra to install his boy oshiomole the way they deduct atiku and obi result to win presidential election.

You you still believe this illusion that Peter obi ,8years is a long time sir

Sleeping through this time with fake hope could be detrimental
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by maintenant: 1:09pm On May 12, 2023
Food-is-ready political activist, I hope you are not planning to return to your vomit...

This one you are writing funny articles,,,
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by Christistruth02: 1:13pm On May 12, 2023
God1000:
Only in Nigeria, the executive isn't supposed to get involved with the NASS elections.

It's not good for our democracy

The three arms of government should function independently and act as checks and balances on each other

That was until Donald Trump turned up n the US White House

But it was still a better system before that
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by BarrElChapo(m): 1:20pm On May 12, 2023
post=123091070:

Be very careful of what you wish for others in life,
So it won't come back to you and your household.
We pray this won't be your portion.
You get what you wish for others in life.
It's call KARMA!
It NEVER fails!!

He's obviously a kiddo.
Some of those that wished PMB death for the last 8 years are no more here.

If being in my 30s is being a kiddo, that’s fine but like I said Bola Ahmed Tinubu will not be alive to become president of Nigeria by Gods grace, Amen

Cc. pineed
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by casualobserver: 1:20pm On May 12, 2023
TonyeBarcanista:

Influences? Is where I disagree.

In the USA, our model presidential democracy, irrespective of who emerges President, the Speaker and Senate leader is always occupied by the leaders of the majority party Caucus. This is why I disagree with you.

You are just being pedantic. Every president wants to have a say in who leads the house because that affects the ability or otherwise to pursue his agenda.

2 Likes

Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:27pm On May 12, 2023
raumdeuter:

What do you mean by most ranked?

Currently in the US, Is Speaker Kevin McCarthy the most ranked congress man?

Under Obama and Trump, Paul Ryan was speaker too
Joe Biden did not influence the choice of Kevin McCarthy, he emerged because he was the leader of the opposition that became majority in the House after the mid term election.

Paul Ryan himself became Speaker/Leader of GOP following the resignation of John Boehman. Ryan didn't return to the House after the midterm election of 2018, hence, the House GOP leadership fell of McCarthy. McCarthy was the leader of the opposition GOP when Dems controlled the House and became Speaker when GOP seized control after the midterm election of 2022

There is a tradition in USA
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:28pm On May 12, 2023
casualobserver:

You are just being pedantic. Every president wants to have a say in who leads the house because that affects the ability or otherwise to pursue his agenda.
This is only true in presidential democracy like Nigeria
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by casualobserver: 1:31pm On May 12, 2023
TonyeBarcanista:
This is only true in presidential democracy like Nigeria

You’ve clearly not followed leadership races in the USA.

2 Likes

Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by BarrElChapo(m): 1:39pm On May 12, 2023
pineed:

Will you shut up. When men are talking idiots should keep shut!

Idiot!

😂😂 I’ll revisit this comment on May 29th aiswaju will not come back. Incase you were at the airport to bid him goodbye, that’s the last you’ll see him.
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:43pm On May 12, 2023
casualobserver:

You’ve clearly not followed leadership races in the USA.
Check 4 comments before this.
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by hush15: 2:06pm On May 12, 2023
TonyeBarcanista:
By Tonye Barcanista

In 1999, President Olusegun Obasanjo sought to exercise control in the 4th National Assembly by doing all he could to ensure the emergence of Evans Ewerem and Salisu Buhari as Senate President and Reps Speaker respectively. He had his way, but barely two months later, Salisu was disgraced out for age and certificate falsification, was succeeded by 41 year old Ghali Na'abba.

The Na'abba led House overturned some of Obasanjo’s vetos, and even made attempts to impeach him until eminent Nigerians intervened. Na'abba lost his reelection in 2003.

In the Senate, Evans Ewerem was disgraced out as Senate President over name falsification 6 months in office and he was succeeded by Chuba Okadigbo - a nemesis of President Obasanjo. Though Okadigbo was also removed, his successor, Ayim Pius Ayim, was also an opposition to OBJ.

In the 5th NASS, 53 year-old Aminu Masari (who was seen as elderly) was elected Speaker. Obasanjo thought it would be smooth but the 4 years with Masari House was turbulent.

Adolphus Wabara who was elected the Senate President was also a thorn on Obasanjo's flesh. Obasanjo made attempts to get Senators to remove him but was unsuccessful. Luckily for Obasanjo, Wabara was accused by EFCC of receiving N50m bribe from Education Minister Fabian Osuji, and was removed from office. Ken Nnamani, who succeeded Wabara, was equally a bone in Pres Obasanjo's throat.

Wabara, Nnamani and Aminu Mansari played significant role to ensure the failure of Obasanjo proposed third term constitutional amendment. As payback, Obasanjo stopped Masari from succeeding Yar'adua as Governor, and ensured that Nnamani and Wabara didn't get Senate return ticket

In the 6th NASS, President Umaru Yar'adua was unbothered about the politics of the presiding officers. But Obasanjo (then ex-president and PDP BoT Chairman) was very much interested to consolidate his influence in the system. He ensured that David Mark and Patricia Etteh were elected Senate President and House Speaker respectively. But Patricia was forced out over N628 million alleged fraud just four months in office, and was replaced by 39-year-old Oladimeji Bankole.

Following the death of Yar'adua on 5th May 2010, President Goodluck Jonathan, a protégé of Obasanjo, sought to retain the status quo in the 7th NASS but Bankole could not make it back having lost reelection in 2011. In his stead, President Jonathan anointed the 51 year-old Mulikat Akande Adeola from Ogbomoso (Oyo) as Speaker, but some 'opposing' PDP Reps teamed up with opposition legislators to elect 45 year old Aminu Tambuwal instead. That 7th House was a thorn in the flesh of Jonathan all through his tenure.

In the Senate, David Mark retained his seat and was a dependable ally to President Jonathan.

When President Muhammadu Buhari was inaugurated President, his party, APC, preferred Ahmad Lawan and Femi Gbajabiamila for Senate President and Speaker respectively, but 'opposing' APC legislators alongside opposition PDP members overturned Buhari desire in favor of Bukola Saraki and 48-year-old Yakubu Dogara respectively. The relationship between the 8th NASS and President Buhari was anything but cordial to the extent that both legislative leaders switched alliance to the opposition PDP.

In the 9th NASS, Saraki couldn't earn a return to the Senate, while Dogara, who returned to the House, could not seek for another term as Speaker because PDP was minority party. President Buhari (serving his second term) still endorsed Ahmad Lawan and Femi Gbajabiamila for Senate President and Speaker respectively- which they both won. This paved way to make President Buhari (2019-2023) as the only President since 1999 that succeeded in installing his preferred choices as presiding leaders in both Houses of the NASS for the entire period of his four years.

As we await the inauguration and election of the 10th NASS leadership, the APC and President-elect Bola Tinubu already named Godswill Akpabio and 54-year old Tajudeen Abbas as preferred choices for Senate President and House Speaker. The choices are being challenged by others who are interested in the two top offices.

For the House, aspirants, especially those from the Northcentral are querying the choice of Tajudeen, insisting on producing the Speaker. For the Senate, Uzor Kalu (Southeast) and Abdulaziz Yari (Northwest) are seeking to stop Akpabio

Should either Akpabio, Tajudeen(anointed Speaker) or both fail to emerge, Nigerians may witness a fresh four years of Executive-Legislative turmoil.

June 6th will tell whether the President-elect Tinubu will employ his widely acclaimed mastery in politicking to play to produce his men as leaders of the NASS.

NOTE: The writeup is without prejudice to the cases at the Tribunal.

Why can't he if given the opportunity.
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by raumdeuter: 2:12pm On May 12, 2023
TonyeBarcanista:
Joe Biden did not influence the choice of Kevin McCarthy, he emerged because he was the leader of the opposition that became majority in the House after the mid term election.

Paul Ryan himself became Speaker/Leader of GOP following the resignation of John Boehman. Ryan didn't return to the House after the midterm election of 2018, hence, the House GOP leadership fell of McCarthy. McCarthy was the leader of the opposition GOP when Dems controlled the House and became Speaker when GOP seized control after the midterm election of 2018.

There is a tradition in USA

Did Joe Biden influence Nancy Pelosi as Speaker since they are both Democrats

If he did, then was Nancy Pelosi the highest ranking Democratic Congressmember? Marcy Kaptur, Steny Hoyer have all been in Congress before her

When McCarthy and Ryan became leader of opposition and SPeakers, were they the highest ranking Republicans in congress
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by lexy2014: 2:13pm On May 12, 2023
casualobserver:

The executive often influences who becomes speaker in the USA and the president appoints the Chief Justice. So don’t take these things literally.

Which president influenced Kevin McCarthy to be speaker of US congress?
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by misano(m): 2:18pm On May 12, 2023
That Obj's time, we had politicians that wanted a better country, so U will likely see oppositions. But 2day, all the politicians want to eat, so if Ure thinking anybody will stand on Tinubu's way, then be ready for disappointment. The ride for Tinubu to drive Nigeria to hell will be very smooth. No obstacles at all.
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by casualobserver: 2:24pm On May 12, 2023
lexy2014:

You always ask daft questions. And when one answers you, you ask even more daft questions. It’s no surprise Osibanjo fell so spectacular from grace when he has daft advisers/handlers like you around him.

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by mp3ree: 2:26pm On May 12, 2023
BarrElChapo:

😂😂 I’ll revisit this comment on May 29th aiswaju will not come back. Incase you were at the airport to bid him goodbye, that’s the last you’ll see him.

Hope you don't have anyone outside the country, cos it may be the last time you will see them.

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by Menclothing: 2:35pm On May 12, 2023
BarrElChapo:
As BAT has traveled, he'll not come back alive.

You said it during Buhari and to baT

Now many people don die for your family

When you wish others evil it come for you and your family karma

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:35pm On May 12, 2023
raumdeuter:

Did Joe Biden influence Nancy Pelosi as Speaker since they are both Democrats

If he did, then was Nancy Pelosi the highest ranking Democratic Congressmember? Marcy Kaptur, Steny Hoyer have all been in Congress before her

When McCarthy and Ryan became leader of opposition and SPeakers, were they the highest ranking Republicans in congress
Exactly my position. Some people think the US President is involved in Congress leadership selection
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by lexy2014: 2:38pm On May 12, 2023
casualobserver:

You always ask daft questions. And when one answers you, you ask even more daft questions. It’s no surprise Osibanjo fell so spectacular from grace when he has daft advisers/handlers like you around him.

That still leaves this question unanswered.

Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by seunjungle1(m): 2:43pm On May 12, 2023
Your common sense should be able to reason it to you that Atiku and obi cannot be on a different ballot papers and win Asiwaju...
Get common sense

Jostoman:
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:11pm On May 12, 2023
lexy2014:

That still leaves this question unanswered.

I will like to know his response
Re: Can Tinubu Use His "Political Mastery" To Install His Men? - TonyeBarcanista by RevolverOcelot(m): 4:51pm On May 12, 2023
Tinubu this, Tinubu that, where the Tinubu even at?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kogi2023; One Killed, Others Injured As APC Thugs Attacks SDP Guber Candidate / Jimi Agbaje Responsible For PDP’s Defeat In Lagos –Shelle / Nigeria Escalates Fight Over Oil Block Granted To Eni And Shell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.