Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,219 members, 7,811,611 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista (29038 Views)

2023: How PDP Won The Battle, While APC Won The War - TonyeBarcanista / Tinubu: I Rescued Atiku When Obasanjo Wanted To Roast Him Like Goat Meat (Video) / When Obasanjo Met Peter Obi Vs When Obasanjo Met Tinubu - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:56am On Jan 08
Tonye Barcanista

Chief Sunday Afolabi was the minister of internal affairs (interior) and the director-general of President Olusegun Obasanjo reelection campaign in the Southwest. He was alleged to be involved in receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars from an agent of French company SAGEM S.A. to facilitate the US $214 million contract given the firm in 2001 to execute a national identity card project. He was fired by President Olusegun Obasanjo.

President Obasanjo also fired Alhaji Hussaini Zannuwa Akwanga from office as Labour and Productivity Minister for his ialleged involvement in the SAGEM S.A bribery scandal in December 2003. Alhaji Akwanga was the permanent secretary of the internal affairs Minister when Chief Afolabi was minister, he was also appointed minister in the interior ministry. Obasanjo fired him still!

Obasanjo government went further to prosecute Chief Afolabi, Alhaji Akwanga, Mahmud Shata (who served as the immediate successor to Chief Afolabi as minister of internal affairs), Turrie Akerele (another former permanent secretary in the ministry of internal affairs under Shata), and a former national secretary of the then ruling Peoples Democratic Party (his own party), Okwesilieze Nwodo, for their involvement in the crime.

Chief Fabian Osuji was appointed minister of education by President Olusegun Obasanjo after his 2003 reelection. In 2005, EFCC indicted Prof. Osuji of giving N55 million (then $400,000) in bribes to the Senate President Adolphus Wabara and some members of the National Assembly to pass an overbloated budget of education ministry. Obasanjo announced his sack almost immediately through national broadcast. Adolphus Wabara the Senate President was forced to resign. The indicted were charged to court by the Obasanjo administration.

In late 2004, newspapers published reports of over 2.7 billion naira (US $20 million) diverted by Tafa Adebayo Balogun, a sitting Inspector General of Police. President Obasanjo immediately ordered his arrest and resignation from office. Balogun subsequently faced trial.

Prof. Adenike Grange and Mr Gabriel Aduku were appointed minister of health and minister of state for health in 2007 respectively by President Umaru Musa Yar'adua in August 2007. In March 2008 they were unceremoniously fired for their inability to to return N300 million unspent money in the ministry meant for the 2007 budget. Yar'adua even went further to order the suspension and probe of key staff of the health ministry that were involved in the mess. He had zero tolerance for corrupt practices!

One of the reasons the President Obasanjo and President Yar'adua administrations enjoyed public trust was their approach to address concerns against officers of their government indicted for graft, diversion of public funds or misappropriation. They were imperfect, yet displayed a no-nonsense approach to addressing issues of gross misconduct by officers of their respective administrations.

The audacity of humanitarian minister, Dr. Betta Edu, to insist on remaining in office in the face of suspected misappropriation scandal involving her and money laundering through her alleged proxy, Bridget Oniyelu, is a direct confrontation to the people of Nigeria.

Moreover, the refusal of President Bola Tinubu to take decisive action on her by firing her like President Obasanjo did or ordering her suspension from office, is an indication that Dr. Edu is a 'sacred cow' and the administration is in bed with corrupt practices and gross misconduct. A serious government would have done the needful without much prompting.

Nigerians are taking notes!

Tonye Barcanista

66 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by christejames(m): 9:58am On Jan 08
Even Buhari sacked Kemi Adeosun after her brouhaha...

But Tinubu? 🤔. This one looks spineless, like someone who condones corruption.

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by EreluRoz: 9:59am On Jan 08
Because she's a woman abi? If we go by your write-up then Keyamo, Wike, Ganduje and the rest should be sacked and be in prison.

Let the law apply to everyone irrespective of the gender, that was how you guys rubbed Binani of her victory in Adamawa all because she's a woman.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:59am On Jan 08
You can follow more of my take on #BettaGate and other issues via

5 Likes

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by EreluRoz: 10:00am On Jan 08
TonyeBarcanista:
You can follow more of my take on #BettaGate and other issues via
Back off already

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:01am On Jan 08
EreluRoz:
Because she's a woman abi? If we go by your write-up then Keyamo, Wike, Ganduje and the rest should be sacked and be in prison
That Buhari administration was irresponsible is not a justification for Betta's. Kindly emulate good examples

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by ITbomb(m): 10:01am On Jan 08
This smear campaign must stop

All those ones you mentioned were caught with stolen money

Edu’s alleged involvement in the approval of N585,198,500.00 to be disbursed into a personal account.
If that woman resign or sacked, I lose hope on Nigeria

Edu uncovered a 40bn fraud by her predecessor, instead of to follow up and prosecute all involved, she was indicted in an alleged approval, that was channeled through official procedure, and that same procedure was used extensively by the ministry all these time.
The said private account, is that of the Project Accountant who is the last stage of the disbursement, the money is not yet disbursed.
We only quote laws when we want to nail someone who doesn't want to "play book".
OR is because she is not from the North or West?

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by Beremx(f): 10:01am On Jan 08
That means corruption actually started from Goodluck Jonathan down to Tinubu since 1999.
I remember all the firing and arresting being done by Obasanjo.
He and Yaradua really did well

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:09am On Jan 08
ITbomb:
This smear campaign must stop

All those ones you mentioned were caught with stolen money

If that woman resign or sacked, I lose hope on Nigeria

Edu uncovered a 40bn fraud by her predecessor, instead of to follow up and prosecute all involved, she was indicted in an alleged approval, that was channeled through official procedure, and that same procedure was used extensively by the ministry all these time.
The said private account, is that of the Project Accountant who is the last stage of the disbursement, the money is not yet disbursed.
We only quote laws when we want to nail someone who doesn't want to "play book".
OR is because she is not from the North or West?
The word 'alleged' is the standard practice once an allegation is made and prima facie is established pending conviction by a court. I hope you won't argue this elsewhere.

PS: All those fired by Obasanjo and Yar'adua were removed even before conviction, and were Yoruba, Igbo, Benue, Hausa/Fulani etc.

Grow up

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:13am On Jan 08
Beremx:
That means corruption actually started from Goodluck Jonathan down to Tinubu since 1999.

Jonathan's government actually started the protection of his officers indicted for corruption, that was his albatross, especially his reluctance to ease out Stella Oduah and Diezani Maduekwe despite their indictment. It made his government seen as corruption personified. The corruption tag overshadowed the economic achievements of that administration and offered leeway for opposition to strike.

I wrote about this yesterday on my X (formerly Twitter) page @TonyeBarcanista.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by VinnyBaba: 10:19am On Jan 08
OP,
How on earth can you be Comparing Obasanjo and Yaradua
to the APC DISASTER presidents Bubu and Ebola Tinubu

It's like comparing SHOPRITE Bread to Kpokpogari. embarassed undecided

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by VinnyBaba: 10:24am On Jan 08
TonyeBarcanista:

Jonathan's government actually started the protection of his officers indicted for corruption, that was his albatross, especially his reluctance to ease out Stella Oduah and Diezani Maduekwe despite their indictment. It made his government seen as corruption personified. The corruption tag overshadowed the economic achievements of that administration and offered leeway for opposition to strike.

I wrote about this yesterday on my X (formerly Twitter) page @TonyeBarcanista.

Jonathan NEVER defended criminals in his govt. sad

He only lacked Will power to Checkmate their Stealings. smiley

Bubu, on the Hand NEVER Criticized the likes of BabaChir Lawal, Hadi Sirika and Sadiya Umar despite All their various Corruption Allegations,
despite calling himself Mr Integrity and Deceiving Nigerians in 2015 that he was an Anti-Corruption Warlord! undecided undecided

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by Nicepoker(m): 10:49am On Jan 08
Beta: balablue this thing that is going on. I don't understand your stand on this. You haven't said anything.

Balablue: beta baby leave them, soon we will indict another person and Nigerians will forget about that money you stole. Tunji ojo will be next. Trust me. Beta baby.

3 Likes

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by Saturnalia(m): 10:56am On Jan 08
Betta Edu is obviously serving the interests of some powerful corrupt entities - who want her to remain in that office perpetually until the end of this administration.

5 Likes

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by TimeManager(m): 10:59am On Jan 08
Beremx:
Madam, are you OK at all?. Who in his/her right sense absolves OBJ of corruption. Who introduced corruption into our fourth republic?

-kiss the truth!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by Fiscus105(m): 11:08am On Jan 08
This one is talking as those cases not generated uproar than this before they were fired.

Infact, Tinubu prompted to intervene far more than those people, as his minister of information said, they still looking at it, which is normal in every settings, if after this week ,they made the findings and she is guilty of embezzlement and not fired ....that's when you can accuse Tinubu.

If they made finding, if she did it erroneously, probably because she still naive in handling of govt transactions and the money involved still intact in the accounts.

Tinubu may reprimand her for suspension or warning.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by Pennyseo2: 11:08am On Jan 08
The right things should be done... Not when this was that.

Comparing actions taken based on political or tribal affiliates
Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by athaboi(f): 11:09am On Jan 08
This shameless PDP political jobber bachanista is still alive? Time to look for crumbs is gone, hunger sets in for him and his fellow hungry political jobbers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by Available9: 11:09am On Jan 08
christejames:
Even Buhari sacked Kemi Adeosun after her brouhaha...

But Tinubu? 🤔. This one looks spineless, like someone who condones corruption.

The madam was not sacked, she honorable resigned...I am not against fighting corruption, but are we just realizing that the humanitarian ministry is a scam on it own ?...where were you guys when that same ministry purportedly fed school children during lockdown ? You all kept mute, but just because there is no "Aisha" in her name, you are all calling for the head of Betty...

Same thing you guys tried to do to akpabio ... When lawan was there, you all lost your voices...same thing you guys tried to do to wike...

If I was tinubu, I will immediately sack Betty and replace her with another person from her state of origin, so that you guys will realize how you just laboured in vain

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by flexyrule(m): 11:09am On Jan 08
Good
Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by iwaeda: 11:09am On Jan 08
TonyeBarcanista:
Tonye Barcanista

Edu just want to Betta their records. grin grin grin grin grin angry grin

3 Likes

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by yahoodetector: 11:10am On Jan 08
Poster...Only unserious people will take you serious. I know you very well.

If someone like you greet me Good Afternoon, I will check time first.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by seborrhic: 11:12am On Jan 08
Obasanjo had his imperfections,one of which I assume is believing he knew it all and others were beneath or did not key into his vision,but he has been the best president Nigeria has had since this Republic.
He laid the foundations of many of the institutions and framework of governance Nigeria is now using.
He also had a penchant for being intolerant of corruption,if it was brought to his notice.
Ditto YarAdua:He may have been weak with family,but the man had a determined vision and zero tolerance for not just corruption but shady affairs and abuse of office.I was even under the impression that if the man had lived long enough,he may not have tolerated the corrupt deeds carried out by his family,relations or cronies.This is the only Nigerian leader that openly declared his asset,without prompting and did a lot within the short time he led.He was the one that started the reform of the electoral system that has culminated in the progress we have today.
Comparing YarAdua and Buhari in terms of integrity is like comparing peanut butter and sour margarine.
I believe Tinubu may eventually sack Edu,but the challenge will be if he can keep up with the sackings because there is no doubt this goverment will rival Buhari's in terms of the looting that will take place.

12 Likes

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by Austriaopen(m): 11:12am On Jan 08
Who is this one again?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by akanbiaa(m): 11:12am On Jan 08
Hmmmm

God willing no one who religiously views The Moral Teacher WhatsApp TV will get depressed and for those already depressed they will overcome it God willing and You will never lack positive energy, knowledge of value, wisdom, ethical entertainment and motivation, what are You waiting for? Join the WhatsApp TV today and share to family and friends via the number +2.3.4.7.0.3.7.7.0.2.7.0.8 (remove the dots from the numbers) to get Your number saved and save the TV number to activate free life access to the WhatsApp TV.
Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by dozzymorinho: 11:12am On Jan 08
Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by broadman20: 11:13am On Jan 08
A Criminal can never fight his fellow Criminal weather you like it or not.

This is a Criminal adventure called an APC GOVERNMENT.

2 Likes

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by BlueRayDick: 11:14am On Jan 08
SM Afolabi never recovered from the disgrace that came with the fraud case. He was released on bail in December 2003 and died in May 2004.

Obasanjo was not into protecting corrupt allies like Jonathan and Buhari did

6 Likes

Re: Betta Edu: When Obasanjo, Yar'adua Were Presidents - TonyeBarcanista by allanphash7(m): 11:14am On Jan 08
I don't know why Tinubu still yet to sack this woman

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Operation Golden Down: Military Begins Movement Of Troops Nationwide / Ahmad Lawan Announces The Defection Of Ibrahim Shekarau From APC To NNPP / Governor Radda Joins Military Operation To Rescue Abducted Civilian, Foil Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.