Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,434 members, 7,830,183 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development (2435 Views)

Is Age 40 Too Old To Become A Software Engineer? / Learn Coding In Ilorin Kwara Stat!! Frontend, Backend And Fullstack Development! / Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by chymdyx(m): 8:34pm On Jun 20, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Please make me understand how paying for learning materials is a problem.

I understand that there are "free" materials and a lot of Nigerians love these so-called "free" stuff. Nothing wrong with that. But saying it's a problem to purchase materials that the OP could obviously afford. That I don't understand.

Let's learn to normalise purchasing content that will make us better. Instead of of mentality of being "sharp" and hunting "free" materials that cost someone time and money to prepare. Nothing is ever free. Not even in free town. You always pay. Either by offering your personal data and being a target for ads. Or paying outright and being somewhat liberated from ads.

No one ie being "smart" when they hunt down "free" materials. You ALWAYS pay. May not be you forking out money for the material. But you ALWAYS pay

ok.. i get the bone of contention. Notice that i succeeded the statement about paid courses by saying paid courses are very good. paid courses weren't the problem.. according to my write up. The problem was the fact that he was relying on 2 courses alone, wether paid or free!

Telling him to pay for 6 courses on the same subject would be impractical.. so i suggested the next best thing. Get free courses to compliment the paid courses. So that he is learning from different teachers. There is always something this teacher said, that this other teacher missed. Or this teacher explains it in a different way, so u grasp it better.
Same advice goes to students in our colleges. You wanna be above average in your field? Above your peers? take online courses in your field. 3 or 4 different ones, wether paid (if you can afford it, why not?) or the free ones if you can't afford it. i hope we have reached some kinda common ground??
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by airsaylongcome: 8:55pm On Jun 20, 2023
chymdyx:

ok.. i get the bone of contention. Notice that i succeeded the statement about paid courses by saying paid courses are very good. paid courses weren't the problem.. according to my write up. The problem was the fact that he was relying on 2 courses alone, wether paid or free!

Telling him to pay for 6 courses on the same subject would be impractical.. so i suggested the next best thing. Get free courses to compliment the paid courses. So that he is learning from different teachers. There is always something this teacher said, that this other teacher missed. Or this teacher explains it in a different way, so u grasp it better.
Same advice goes to students in our colleges. You wanna be above average in your field? Above your peers? take online courses in your field. 3 or 4 different ones, wether paid (if you can afford it, why not?) or the free ones if you can't afford it. I hope we have reached some kinda common ground??

Sure. I don't have any issues with using free materials or encouragimg folks to source for free materials especially as we don't have high purchasing power in the country. Even me myself I used free YouTube materials to develop my skill set. So no I'm fine with people hunting free materials. I just wanted to point out that it's also great for folks to pay for materials if they can afford to. We are good fam. And great contribution to the discussion

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by chymdyx(m): 12:09am On Jun 21, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Sure. I don't have any issues with using free materials or encouragimg folks to source for free materials especially as we don't have high purchasing power in the country. Even me myself I used free YouTube materials to develop my skill set. So no I'm fine with people hunting free materials. I just wanted to point out that it's also great for folks to pay for materials if they can afford to. We are good fam. And great contribution to the discussion

thanks a lot. appreciate

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vb.net Or C#.net / Universal Files And Folders Encryption (PGP) - Good For You / I Want To Automate My Site To Send Data....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.