Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,443 members, 7,830,219 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development (2436 Views)

Is Age 40 Too Old To Become A Software Engineer? / Learn Coding In Ilorin Kwara Stat!! Frontend, Backend And Fullstack Development! / Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by LikeAking: 2:41am On Jun 11, 2023
Lexzeey:
I am going to be 29 this year, I bought two courses on udemy last year, first one is about designing, I have finished it, I had some challenges but I overcame although I feel I'm not good enough to work with my design skills, now I'm into the second course( fullstack development) and it has been tedious and stressful, I used to be intelligent when I was in school, stopped at ND because they was no money to further my education and get HND, instead of staying idle I decided to learn those skills, now I'm not grasping anything, I'm learning and giving my best but no results, I just can't grab it, I don't know wether it's because I am too old or b because I am bad at math, pls advice me on how to to actually know this, I want to be proficient enough to know it instead of googling and using chatgpt to bail myself out always.

U are too old already. Forget it.

U shud be thinking of having a family by now..

Just rest.

Pele!
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 5:30pm On Jun 12, 2023
@qtguru hello, I happen to stumble on your diary and it's very interesting, pls can we talk? I have some questions, how do I reach you?

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by qtguru(m): 6:15pm On Jun 12, 2023
my email is on my website, can't post here because of antispam bot

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by besyboy89: 4:30pm On Jun 13, 2023
airsaylongcome:

The way some of you make sweeping comments ehn...I dey shock. My current remote role, I had absolutely no professional experience, let alone Nigerian work experience before I applied and got hired. You don't have to "work locally in Nigeria" to be able to get a foreign remote job. Yes, previous work experience does help, but it's not mandatory. Especially for entry level roles which is what the OP would be looking for.

Boss how you do am na?
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by airsaylongcome: 5:17pm On Jun 13, 2023
besyboy89:

Boss how you do am na?

I worked with the software as a hobby. For fun.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by LutherKing001: 12:23am On Jun 14, 2023
Lexzeey:
I am going to be 28 this year, I bought two courses on udemy last year, first one is about designing, I have finished it, I had some challenges but I overcame although I feel I'm not good enough to work with my design skills, now I'm into the second course( fullstack development) and it has been tedious and stressful, I used to be intelligent when I was in school, stopped at ND because they was no money to further my education and get HND, instead of staying idle I decided to learn those skills, now I'm not grasping anything, I'm learning and giving my best but no results, I just can't grab it, I don't know wether it's because I am too old or b because I am bad at math, pls advice me on how to to actually know this, I want to be proficient enough to know it instead of googling and using chatgpt to bail myself out always.

Bro what you need is focus, determination and discipline. I'm 30 and learning full stack development, my only challenge is that I currently don't have a pc, still coding with phone and I'm on JavaScript now. Bro just focus.

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 7:23pm On Jun 14, 2023
LutherKing001:

Bro what you need is focus, determination and discipline. I'm 30 and learning full stack development, my only challenge is that I currently don't have a pc, still coding with phone and I'm on JavaScript now. Bro just focus.
how do you manage to code with just phone, I have a laptop and extra monitor and I'm still struggling with it talkmore of using only phone.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 7:28pm On Jun 14, 2023
olamilarks

You have a new follower, our stories is similar honestly, my drive to learn a skill is to be financially free, like I need to start earning consistently asap otherwise something will happen, I worked hard to buy my laptop, I feel like telling my story and the hardship I faced but I won't do that right now because there's no point, I'd do that when I return triumphant, when I achieve my purpose, if you don't mind I am open to being friends because at this point I need all the contact, mentorship and help I can get, I don't fancy the idea of begging for monetary help and being pitied, so when I try to get in touch with someone just know I'm not coming to beg for money or be needy, I just need support not to feel alone, I have been mentioning qtguru for same reason but baba no send me, I also follow his diary too, worked hard to get the money for courses, I am done with designing, now I'm doing fullstack, please I need mentors, please.

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by qtguru(m): 7:35pm On Jun 14, 2023
Lexzeey:
olamilarks

You have a new follower, our stories is similar honestly, my drive to learn a skill is to be financially free, like I need to start earning consistently asap otherwise something will happen, I worked hard to buy my laptop, I feel like telling my story and the hardship I faced but I won't do that right now because there's no point, I'd do that when I return triumphant, when I achieve my purpose, if you don't mind I am open to being friends because at this point I need all the contact, mentorship and help I can get, I don't fancy the idea of begging for monetary help and being pitied, so when I try to get in touch with someone just know I'm not coming to beg for money or be needy, I just need support not to feel alone, I have been mentioning qtguru for same reason but baba no send me, I also follow his diary too, worked hard to get the money for courses, I am done with designing, now I'm doing fullstack, please I need mentors, please.

sorry join NexaScale on slack. I am a mentor there

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 7:43pm On Jun 14, 2023
qtguru:

Boss data o, my learning is mostly vid, it consume alot of data, is there a way I can communicate with you aside slack? cheesy
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by qtguru(m): 8:00pm On Jun 14, 2023
Lexzeey:
Boss data o, my learning is mostly vid, it consume alot of data, is there a way I can communicate with you aside slack? cheesy

Google meet or slack is my most accessible medium unless you send a mail. That works for me, busy schedule.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Avast(m): 8:01pm On Jun 14, 2023
qtguru:

@Lexzeey You are still young bro.

I just filled their online form, hoping to get feedback soon. Thanks boss.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 8:04pm On Jun 14, 2023
qtguru:

Google meet or slack is my most accessible medium unless you send a mail. That works for me, busy schedule.
Alright I'll check it out, looking forward to it, thanks.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 8:05pm On Jun 14, 2023
Avast:

@Lexzeey You are still young bro.

I just filled their online form, hoping to get feedback soon. Thanks boss.

Lol I hope you're right, this one everyone is looking for someone with atleast 5yrs experience, if u add 5yrs to my years it's not a pretty number o, although I'm still in my 20s.

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Avast(m): 8:40pm On Jun 14, 2023
Lexzeey:
Lol I hope you're right, this one everyone is looking for someone with atleast 5yrs experience, if u add 5yrs to my years it's not a pretty number o, although I'm still in my 20s.

lol, I am in my 30s and I just started Frontend path few months ago. I have a 45yrs old guy with 2 kids in my standup team. The guy lives in Finland.

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by olamilarks(m): 9:13pm On Jun 14, 2023
Lexzeey:
olamilarks

I think you should reach out to Qtguru he's reachable with plenty contacts on his signature, that man is doing a lot of good work on tech Nairaland. I'm just starting out also, I try not to get into nairaland bants as much as possible. I think you're pretty skilled already but you need guidance and direction.

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 9:15pm On Jun 14, 2023
olamilarks:
I think you should reach out to Qtguru he's reachable with plenty contacts on his signature, that man is doing a lot of good work on tech Nairaland. I'm just starting out also, I try not to get into nairaland bants as much as possible. I think you're pretty skilled already but you need guidance and direction.
Yes I do need guidance, thanks anyway.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 9:16pm On Jun 14, 2023
Avast:

lol, I am in my 30s and I just started Frontend path few months ago. I have a 45yrs old guy with 2 kids in my standup team. The guy lives in Finland.
It's scary, I feel it'll be hard understanding anything at that age.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Avast(m): 6:44am On Jun 15, 2023
Lexzeey:
It's scary, I feel it'll be hard understanding anything at that age.

It depends and it is even normal but that doesn't mean you should stop learning or lose focus.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 10:08am On Jun 15, 2023
Avast:

It depends and it is even normal but that doesn't mean you should stop learning or lose focus.
right, good to know I'm not alone in this boat.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by LutherKing001: 12:38pm On Jun 15, 2023
Lexzeey:
how do you manage to code with just phone, I have a laptop and extra monitor and I'm still struggling with it talkmore of using only phone.

lol bro you can learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript with phone. I have been coding on phone for almost 3 months now. Any serious person with burning desire to learn coding can start out with a phone while making plans to get a pc. God willing before diving into REACT, I should have a pc in my possession.

Well I'm sorry to hear you're still struggling with it, but the truth is, every programmer have got a fair share of the struggle tales in their humble beginnings while learning to code. Sometimes you get overwhelmed along the line but is best to relax a bit when you're overwhelmed, do some other things to relax your brain and come back to continue when you feel much better.

You have to be passionate about this coding thing and then you should know why you're learning to code, the 'why' question is what will keep you motivated each time you're feeling down and overwhelmed else you will just be wasting time and resources, brace up bro, you got the tools so get on with work cuz there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Another thing is I don't know what road map you're following, just be guided and don't be a jack of all trade at least for the now. The stack I'm learning is the MERN stack and I'm very determined to learn it cuz man don suffer no be small.

Finally bro make sure to follow some bosses on this subnairaland, you go learn from them. Notable mentiones are Airsaylongcome, Niel63, TruthCoder, GREATIGBOMAN, et al..
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by LutherKing001: 12:45pm On Jun 15, 2023
Lexzeey:
olamilarks

Just seeing this post now. Keep the fire burning bro, God no go shame us for only time will tell.

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 10:58am On Jun 17, 2023
LutherKing001:

lol bro you can learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript with phone. I have been coding on phone for almost 3 months now. Any serious person with burning desire to learn coding can start out with a phone while making plans to get a pc. God willing before diving into REACT, I should have a pc in my possession.

Well I'm sorry to hear you're still struggling with it, but the truth is, every programmer have got a fair share of the struggle tales in their humble beginnings while learning to code. Sometimes you get overwhelmed along the line but is best to relax a bit when you're overwhelmed, do some other things to relax your brain and come back to continue when you feel much better.

You have to be passionate about this coding thing and then you should know why you're learning to code, the 'why' question is what will keep you motivated each time you're feeling down and overwhelmed else you will just be wasting time and resources, brace up bro, you got the tools so get on with work cuz there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Another thing is I don't know what road map you're following, just be guided and don't be a jack of all trade at least for the now. The stack I'm learning is the MERN stack and I'm very determined to learn it cuz man don suffer no be small.

Finally bro make sure to follow some bosses on this subnairaland, you go learn from them. Notable mentiones are Airsaylongcome, Niel63, TruthCoder, GREATIGBOMAN, et al..
That jack of all trades stuff is one of the problems I am facing, I am learning fullstack to be employable, I actively search for remote jobs and what most of this jobs have in common is the need for several skills at once, you'll see jobs like, I'm looking for a UI designer with five years experience and have knowledge of this and that, they'll be asking for impossible stuff, most times I don't apply for jobs because of the side skills they mention, I saw one recently about fullstack development, but they also require you to have QA analyst skills too, so how can I stick to just one specialty when every job requires qualifications from other fields, the thing tire me.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by LUAN1: 11:22am On Jun 17, 2023
Sheriman:
You're not to old but I think reason why you're not grasping it is that this is Nigeria where a person at that your age is now on his own to provide for himself. You think of many thing in your mind which are What to eat? how will you be consistence? Family expectations? Societal pressure.
you just described what am passing through
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by LutherKing001: 6:55pm On Jun 17, 2023
Lexzeey:
That jack of all trades stuff is one of the problems I am facing, I am learning fullstack to be employable, I actively search for remote jobs and what most of this jobs have in common is the need for several skills at once, you'll see jobs like, I'm looking for a UI designer with five years experience and have knowledge of this and that, they'll be asking for impossible stuff, most times I don't apply for jobs because of the side skills they mention, I saw one recently about fullstack development, but they also require you to have QA analyst skills too, so how can I stick to just one specialty when every job requires qualifications from other fields, the thing tire me.

Bro you're done learning full stack dev already?
Don't mind some of this recruiters, full stack dev is enough skill for junior entry role in tech, they employ front end dev not to talk of full stack dev. Keep searching and applying bro you will find better options. I'm still learning for now and will start submitting CVs for tech jobs by Oct/Nov.

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 7:03pm On Jun 17, 2023
LutherKing001:

Bro you're done learning full stack dev already?
Don't mind some of this recruiters, full stack dev is enough skill for junior entry role in tech, they employ front end dev not to talk of full stack dev. Keep searching and applying bro you will find better options. I'm still learning for now and will start submitting CVs for tech jobs by Oct/Nov.
Almost done, I'm polishing my react skills for now, I'm not submitting cv anymore because the rejection and discouragement is too much and it's making me feel like I should stop trying, like I'll never be enough no matter how hard I try, imagine someone learning UI and UX and fullstack at same time because of recruiters with Thier unrealistic and inconsiderate demands.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by LutherKing001: 11:48am On Jun 18, 2023
Lexzeey:
Almost done, I'm polishing my react skills for now, I'm not submitting cv anymore because the rejection and discouragement is too much and it's making me feel like I should stop trying, like I'll never be enough no matter how hard I try, imagine someone learning UI and UX and fullstack at same time because of recruiters with Thier unrealistic and inconsiderate demands.

Sad 😢.. Don't give up is all I can say for now.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 2:54pm On Jun 18, 2023
LutherKing001:

Sad 😢.. Don't give up is all I can say for now.
thanks.

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by chymdyx(m): 11:54am On Jun 20, 2023
Lexzeey:
olamilarks

bro.. my name is chimdi.. fitness instructor from abuja.. I'm so inspired by ur post.. funny how 10,000 of us seem to have the same story.. abeg make we link up asap.. I'm at css now and loving it!! i really need budding developers to link up with cos the issues of life can so distract you!! hit me up o81 38 .9442 82 pls.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by chymdyx(m): 12:59pm On Jun 20, 2023
Lexzeey:
I am going to be 28 this year, I bought two courses on udemy last year, first one is about designing, I have finished it, I had some challenges but I overcame although I feel I'm not good enough to work with my design skills, now I'm into the second course( fullstack development) and it has been tedious and stressful, I used to be intelligent when I was in school, stopped at ND because they was no money to further my education and get HND, instead of staying idle I decided to learn those skills, now I'm not grasping anything, I'm learning and giving my best but no results, I just can't grab it, I don't know wether it's because I am too old or b because I am bad at math, pls advice me on how to to actually know this, I want to be proficient enough to know it instead of googling and using chatgpt to bail myself out always.

hehehehe!! I'm 30, and I'm learning front end dev!! and I'm loving it like mad! ain't nobody gone tell me shit!! i get distracted too often... that's my only setback. i wanna be ur friend. having work buddies chasing the same thing you are.. helps a lot with slacking.
Then here is a practical advice i learnt a long time ago in high school. learn from multiple teachers at the same time.!!
don't do only one course.. do 3 or 4! some may argue with this.. and you may wonder where you'll get the time.. but if you study 3 hrs, split those 3 hours to 3 teachers of the same course. This changed my css game totally.

I'm a newbie in tech.. but I've learnt a whole lotta other things. you may think you aren't grasping what's being thought, meanwhile it's the teacher not giving it to you in a way you can grasp.
you'll come across another teacher, who'll explain it differently and you'll be like.. ohhh!! is this what dat other guy was trying to say?
you get my point??

Besides it keeps this fresh and interesting not boring and monotonous.. reach me on o8138 94. 4282 let's grow together!!
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by chymdyx(m): 2:55pm On Jun 20, 2023
Lexzeey:

you bought 2 courses? well that's the problem. paid courses are very good.. but the absolutely smart thing to do.. is compliment them with free courses!

free c0de camp on youtube offers a lot of free courses.. so does w 3 schools.. and a lot of others i could give you privately. it'll speed up your learning i promise you!! you can't depend on just one source!! many rivers flow into a big sea!!
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by airsaylongcome: 4:28pm On Jun 20, 2023
chymdyx:

you bought 2 courses? well that's the problem. paid courses are very good.. but the absolutely smart thing to do.. is compliment them with free courses!

Please make me understand how paying for learning materials is a problem.

I understand that there are "free" materials and a lot of Nigerians love these so-called "free" stuff. Nothing wrong with that. But saying it's a problem to purchase materials that the OP could obviously afford. That I don't understand.

Let's learn to normalise purchasing content that will make us better. Instead of of mentality of being "sharp" and hunting "free" materials that cost someone time and money to prepare. Nothing is ever free. Not even in free town. You always pay. Either by offering your personal data and being a target for ads. Or paying outright and being somewhat liberated from ads.

No one ie being "smart" when they hunt down "free" materials. You ALWAYS pay. May not be you forking out money for the material. But you ALWAYS pay

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vb.net Or C#.net / Universal Files And Folders Encryption (PGP) - Good For You / I Want To Automate My Site To Send Data....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.