Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,817 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After (17837 Views)

Court Document Reveals How Police Frustrated Trial Of Deborah Samuel’s ‘killers / Deborah Samuel's Killers Are Being Held In A Correctional Center - Police / Nigerians Demand Arrest Of Agbazuere, Sacked Abia COS. Police Keep Mum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by Racoon(m): 3:52pm On May 12, 2023
Exactly one year ago, on May 12, 2022, Deborah Emmanuel, a female student of the Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto State was killed by Islamic extremists over blasphemy allegations against Prophet Mohammed.

The 200-level student was set ablaze after she reportedly advised her classmates against posting religious contents on their WhatsApp group which was created for academic purposes.

A motion picture of the student being stoned and beaten with sticks by her Muslim school-mates before setting her ablaze, was shared widely on all social media platforms.

A few days after the unfortunate incident that relatively set the country on fire, the Sokoto State Police Command announced the arrest of two suspects in connection to Deborah’s murder.

The suspected murderers, Bilyaminu Aliyu and Aminu Hukunci were on May 16 docked at a Sokoto Chief Magistrate’s Court for their alleged participation in the crime.

A total number of thirty-four lawyers led by Professor Mansur Ibrahim, allegedly sponsored by some public figures, stormed the court to defend the suspected killers.

DAILY POST recalls that the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Sanusi Abubakar, in a statement on August 28, revealed that those arrested were not the prime suspects, saying that they were only among those who organised the riot.

He then vowed that the command would unearth all the suspected killers upon completion of investigation.

However, one year after the incident, the prime suspect who was boasting in the video of how he led the mob to lynch the innocent girl, is still at large.

A Catholic Priest, Fr Kelvin Ugwu in a post on his official Facebook page on Thursday, asked the state governor, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, President Muhammadu Buhari and the Nigeria Police Force to tell Nigerians what happened to the suspects.

He wrote, “I am asking the Governor of Sokoto, Hon Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, please sir, where are the killers of Deborah? Have you found them? Where did you keep them? What did you do to them?

“I am asking President Muhammadu Buhari, where are the killers? Are they invisible? Have they been arrested?

“And to the Nigeria Police Force, what has happened to the swiftness you normally employ in arresting people who make posts on social media you consider inciting and divisive? What did you do to the killers of Ms Deborah? Where are the killers?”

This is coming amid allegations that even the two suspects who were in May 2022, remanded in the Sokoto Correctional Centre may have been freed.

An On Air Personality, Mr Joseph Adejor also told our correspondent yesterday that “there may be something fishy about how the case died silently.”

“The question is, have they been able to arrest the prime suspect? After the incident, there were reports that the murderer fled to Niger Republic, have they traced him to that country?

“Like my friend always says, Nigeria is just a joke. A human being was burnt to death and nothing happened to the suspects. You remember how a popular politician condemned the incident and later deleted the post. I doubt if those two suspects that they managed to arrest were not freed later”, he lamented.

However, the Spokesperson of the Sokoto Police Command, DSP Sanusi Abubakar told DAILY POST on Thursday that the command had played its part by charging the suspects to court.

He said, “The police as an institution, when we charge a case to the court, it is left for the judge to determine whether the suspect is found guilty or not.

“Our duty as police agency is to conduct investigation, and charge the suspect to court. It is now in the hands of the court to determine the end. We as a police, we have played our part. It is now left for the judiciary to do the necessary”.

Asked to clarify the allegations that some of the suspects were freed, the PPRO said, “If there is any allegation that the suspects have been freed, I think only the judiciary is in the position to answer that”.

https://dailypost.ng/2023/05/12/blasphemy-one-year-after-nigerians-demand-whereabouts-of-deborah-samuels-killers/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by thesicilian: 3:56pm On May 12, 2023
Demand ke? Nigerians that have long forgotten about what happened last month self

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by Westerhoffe(m): 3:57pm On May 12, 2023
The government and some presidential aspirants shows they're not concerned about the whole thing.
Even the law enforcement agencies are not showing any seriousness about it.
What do you then expect? undecided

If Leah Sharibu can be in captivity till date while no one remembers anymore, knowing she's alive, expect nothing to be done by this government knowing Deborah is dead already.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by gidgiddy: 3:58pm On May 12, 2023
The killers will never see the inside of a court room because there are many powerful people who support what they did out of religious sentiments

115 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by Racoon(m): 3:58pm On May 12, 2023
-"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor." -Desmond Tutu.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of convenience and comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."( Martin Luther King Jr.)

"....Those who gave up their liberty for their safety doesnt deserves neither their liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin
These are the kind of injustice ethno-religious cleansing and supremacist sentiments breed in a nation that is unjustly skewed to favour some certain clique.

This poor girl, the RCCG evangelist killed by Muslim mobs in Kubwa and another Christian killed in Suleja among many who have lost their lives to fanatics. Yet no justice because the state shield them from facing the full wrath of the law.

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by richmond500: 3:59pm On May 12, 2023
So one year don waka like this? RIP to her.

In this Nigeria, let us learn from Deborah's case. If u are a Christian living in the north it's better never to engage in religious discussion.
If you are from north living in the south, just go ur mosque and jejely Waka go house, the safety of ur head still connected to ur neck when you return home might depend on how u talk.
No go die troway because of Jesus or Mohammed.
Deborah don die cos of some extremists weh carry Allah for head yet they are so poor and in a pitiable state. Tufiakwa

95 Likes

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by Westerhoffe(m): 3:59pm On May 12, 2023
thesicilian:
Demand ke? Nigerians that have long forgotten about what happened last month self

Nigerians did not forget just as the internet never forgets.
But would anyone had taken the law into their hands and the same government won't run after them?
undecided
One day will come I know, when the table will turn, and it will be devastating.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by Racoon(m): 4:00pm On May 12, 2023
The suspected murderers, Bilyaminu Aliyu and Aminu Hukunci were on May 16 docked at a Sokoto Chief Magistrate’s Court for their alleged participation in the crime. A total number of thirty-four lawyers led by Professor Mansur Ibrahim, allegedly sponsored by some public figures, stormed the court to defend the suspected killers.

However, one year after the incident, the prime suspect who was boasting in the video of how he led the mob to lynch the innocent girl, is still at large.
They were gleefully defended by their fanatical brethren who sent them to kill and shed blood. Now the orthodox law enforcement agencies sat as lame ducks that they are because they are all in league. Well, there is a limit of tolerance.

"No evil deed will go unpunished.Any evil done by man to man will be redressed.If not now then later. If not by man then by God. For the victory of evil over good can only be temporary' - Late Dele Giwa.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by Racoon(m): 4:01pm On May 12, 2023
Westerhoffe:
Nigerians did not forget just as the internet never forgets. But would anyone had taken the law into their hands and the same government won't run after them? One day will come I know, when the table will turn, and it will be devastating.
I agree with you sir.

15 Likes

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by SHINJACRUSADER: 4:02pm On May 12, 2023
If Nigerian Christians want to be respected and taken serious..They should become extremist like Muslims..
Drop that Bible aside and act...

Don't tolerate rubbish,always be the first to strike ...

Anyway God bless the good people of Southsouth and Southwest ...

15 Likes

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by thesicilian: 4:03pm On May 12, 2023
Westerhoffe:

Nigerians did not forget just as the internet never forgets.
But would anyone had taken the law into their hands and the same government won't run after them?
undecided
One day will come I know, when the table will turn, and it will be devastating.
That day may never come. In real life, bad people get away with evil all the time

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by Westerhoffe(m): 4:11pm On May 12, 2023
thesicilian:

That day may never come. In real life, bad people get away with evil all the time

Vengeance at times does not rush/hurry to punish the culprit… but remember, their generations may not escape it.

I know of a family wherein twins born never survive beyond the eight day.
When the children of the woman who made her slave place that curse on her had twins, the twins died.

Her grand children had twins, eight days later they died. This continued till the fourth generation before the cause was tracked to know what has been happening, only for them to be told that their grandmother, tracing back to four generations back made a slave of hers place that curse on her because she made the slave back then lose her twins.

Now, how about that?

Some people do evil, forgetting that Vengeance is of GOD, and He will surely take revenge, sooner it be or later.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by illicit(m): 4:16pm On May 12, 2023
What do you expect

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by MasterJayJay: 4:18pm On May 12, 2023
To think their motto is 'religion of peace' makes it ridiculous. Why Islamabad?

What have they achieved from this? Nothing!! It makes more people to hate the Islamic religion

I rather live in cage with Lions than reside in the midst of a muslim dominated area, especially in Nigeria. It looks like their own form of 'baptism' is violence.

In WyclefJean voice

You Islamists are vampires
in the middle of the day
Suckin on human blood
Is that your appetite ?
You said it is religion of peace
but you are tearing people to pieces

Deborah Deborah......

Today marks one anniversary, a young Christian student named Deborah Samuel was stoned and set on fire as she died. The incident happened In Sokoto. Her crime? Nothing!! She was only expressing her opinion. She questioned why a whatsapp group meant for education has been turned to a religious group.
The Islamist mob that has a head accused her of blasphemy which attracted other blood thirsty vampires to kill her. Her father recalled that she was killed in the presence of over 100 security agents comprising Police, NSDSC and DSS operatives.
“As they were struggling with the security men, one of the mob hit her on the head with a huge iron rod and she fell to the ground.

“That was how they began to stone her, hit her with rods and sticks and she died. She was killed in the presence of all the security agents.

“After they killed her, the mob was jubilant that they killed her. The students and people from the villages were all shouting Allah Akbar, Allahu Akbar.

“They were all happy and jubilating. Different people began to say, ‘I am the one that killed her’, ‘I am the one that killed her’.

“After some twenty to thirty minutes, a lady in hijab, one of her schoolmates, began to shout, a kone ta, a kone ta, akone ta, meaning ‘set her body ablaze, set her body ablaze.’

“That was when they gathered tires, and one of the boys brought his machine from where they siphoned the fuel, which they poured on the tires and set her body ablaze.

There were hundreds of thousands of comments online that supported her death. Some were even crying and regretting why they missed the opportunity to partake in killing her.

One of Deborah Samuel last words was "what do you hope to achieve with this?'.

A year has passed and the suspects are all free. One of the suspects uploaded a video bragging how he set her on fire.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by MasterJayJay: 4:56pm On May 12, 2023
richmond500:

In this Nigeria, let us learn from Deborah's case. When you are in Rome, behave like the Romans.
If you are from the south and you go to the north, please know how to talk so you don't get killed, also if u are from the north and you go to the south, especially the SE, please learn to behave yourself.
Don't even say anything about BH, FH or IPOB.
That thing you will do in ur state and you feel is nothing might get you killed elsewhere.
The Mohammed and Obi weh u deh insult probably no know u and they won't be there when u are being burnt and ur flesh eaten.

If you like insult me, that is not my business.
If you get killed, na RIP I go type and we mueve
Owo massacre by jihadists was because the Christians in south west insulted Mohammed? Clap for yourself!
You can't hide your hatred by putting Peter Obi and the notorious Mohammed in same category.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by richmond500: 4:57pm On May 12, 2023
MasterJayJay:
Owo massacre by jihadists was because the Christians in south west insulted Mohammed? Clap for yourself!
You can't hide your hatred by putting Peter Obi and the notorious Mohammed in same category.
you should read my last paragraph, I and all NLders will type RIP tongue

47 Likes

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by MasterJayJay: 5:01pm On May 12, 2023
richmond500:
you should read my last paragraph, I and all NLders will type RIP tongue
Dead people don't type RIP.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by richmond500: 5:02pm On May 12, 2023
MasterJayJay:
Dead people don't type RIP.
I never said you will type RIP

49 Likes

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by MasterJayJay: 5:09pm On May 12, 2023
richmond500:
I never said you will type RIP
RIP

I can type it. Easy to type, just 3 letters.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by richmond500: 5:11pm On May 12, 2023
MasterJayJay:
RIP

I can type it.
I never said you can't type RIP though.
At least for now you can type it grin

49 Likes

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by Racoon(m): 5:17pm On May 12, 2023
Who also noticed none of the regular government zombies on this platform have made their usual senseless comments especially that Peter Obi name has not been mentioned?

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by Racoon(m): 9:58am On May 13, 2023
thesicilian:
Too bad! So sad!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by Mindlog: 2:21pm On May 13, 2023
Sad.
Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by DMerciful(m): 3:50pm On May 13, 2023
Don't justify that babaric act by comments like this, it encourages those savages.

Deborah is from the North, she's an indigene! The fact that she's a Christian does not remove her indigenous status!
richmond500:

In this Nigeria, let us learn from Deborah's case. When you are in Rome, behave like the Romans.
If you are from the south and you go to the north, please know how to talk so you don't get killed, also if u are from the north and you go to the south, especially the SE, please learn to behave yourself.
Don't even say anything about BH, FH or IPOB.
That thing you will do in ur state and you feel is nothing might get you killed elsewhere.
The Mohammed and Obi weh u deh insult probably no know u and they won't be there when u are being burnt and ur flesh eaten.

If you like insult me, that is not my business.
If you get killed, na RIP I go type and we mueve

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by richmond500: 4:04pm On May 13, 2023
DMerciful:
Don't justify that babaric act by comments like this, it encourages those savages.

Deborah is from the North, she's an indigene! The fact that she's a Christian does not remove her indigenous status!
All I am saying is that, you can't control how people behave towards tribe and religion.
Even Nairaland that ban people, yet their is tribalism.
I am only saying, we should know how to behave and talk so we don't fall victim to those mobs

47 Likes

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by DMerciful(m): 4:10pm On May 13, 2023
You have to accept that she's an indigenous northerner so saying she should behave like the Romans when in Rome is uncalled for.

They have no right to kill her, there's no evidence that her comments wasnt exaggerated. As a citizen, she has the right to life and fair hearing.

We must not justify jungle justice under any condition. Common, she was stoned and burned to death. What are you talking about?
richmond500:
All I am saying is that, you can't control how people behave towards tribe and religion.
Even Nairaland that ban people, yet their is tribalism.
I am only saying, we should know how to behave and talk so we don't fall victim to those mobs

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by richmond500: 4:38pm On May 13, 2023
DMerciful:
You have to accept that she's an indigenous northerner so saying she should behave like the Romans when in Rome is uncalled for.

They have no right to kill her, there's no evidence that her comments wasnt exaggerated. As a citizen, she has the right to life and fair hearing.

We must not justify jungle justice under any condition. Common, she was stoned and burned to death. What are you talking about?
How u twist my comment was surprising.

This is Nigeria, there are many people that will kill you at the slightest provocation, especially when it comes to religious or tribal affairs.
I am not justifying their actions but as long as they have no interest to change the way they reason, then it's better you save urself from their unruly behaviour.

If you are not a Muslim, no need criticizing the Mohammed. You won't win a medal for criticizing Islam, Christian, Fulani, Yoruba or Igbo. So it's safer for u to remain silent.

52 Likes

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by DMerciful(m): 5:05pm On May 13, 2023
You're not looking at the root cause but an immediate cause. The Owo massacre was done to people on their own in a church in Ondo.

Remember when there was a cartoon of mohd in Denmark, was there no destruction in northern Nigeria?

The truth is they look for a reason to kill. If you're a Southerner teaching in the North and lets say you teach mathematics. If one of your student is reading Koran in class and you asked the student to put it away so you can focus on maths, you can be killed if they changed the narrative to say you rate maths over koran.

We cannot build a society where people walk on eggshells.

This thing you're justifying, if it happens to your love one, your perspective will change
richmond500:
How u twist my comment was surprising.

This is Nigeria, there are many people that will kill you at the slightest provocation, especially when it comes to religious or tribal affairs.
I am not justifying their actions but as long as they have no interest to change the way they reason, then it's better you save urself from their unruly behaviour.

If you are not a Muslim, no need criticizing the Mohammed. You won't win a medal for criticizing Islam, Christian, Fulani, Yoruba or Igbo. So it's safer for u to remain silent.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by Nobody: 5:12pm On May 13, 2023
See the barga here !

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Demand Whereabouts Of Deborah Samuel's Killers, One Year After by richmond500: 5:12pm On May 13, 2023
DMerciful:
You're not looking at the root cause but an immediate cause. The Owo massacre was done to people on their own in a church in Ondo.

Remember when there was a cartoon of mohd in Denmark, was there no destruction in northern Nigeria?

The truth is they look for a reason to kill. If you're a Southerner teaching in the North and lets say you teach mathematics. If one of your student is reading Koran in class and you asked the student to put it away so you can focus on maths, you can be killed if the changed the narrative to say you rate maths over koran.

We cannot build a society where people walk on eggshells.

This thing you're justifying, if it happens to your love one, your perspective will change
Wetin wan even carry me go north in the first place? I never liked those extremists.
I understand your point but some things can easily be avoided. That Deborah's case could have been avoided.

48 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

#whattodobefore8pm Now Trending On Twitter / FG Endorses Cross River’s 260km Super Highway / We Have Not Endorsed Any Presidential Candidate - Ohanaeze Makes U-turn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.