Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,987 members, 7,835,305 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

NRTC English: ‘themselves’ Is Different From ‘one Another’ - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NRTC English: ‘themselves’ Is Different From ‘one Another’ (180 Views)

NRTC English: The Letter ‘t’ Isn’t Pronounced In Debut, Sachet, Depot, Chalet, R / NRTC English: Madam, Can I Pay In Instalments, Not Instalmentally? / What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

NRTC English: ‘themselves’ Is Different From ‘one Another’ by Azeemokoya: 7:01pm On May 12, 2023
Other things being equal, if you look in a mirror, you’re going to see yourself–your reflection. That’s the idea about reflexive pronouns. Reflexive pronouns end in -self or -selves depending on whether they’re singular (-self) or plural (-selves).

Reflexive pronouns are myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself, ourselves, yourselves and themselves. They refer back to a person or thing mentioned earlier. We often use reflexive pronouns when the performer of an action is also the receiver.

Let’s look at these examples:

I cut myself when I was making dinner last night.
I hope you enjoy yourselves at the party tonight!
My phone isn’t working properly. It turns itself off for no reason.
We need to believe in ourselves more.
Therefore, you cannot say ‘the politicians in Nigeria love themselves’ to mean ‘the politicians in Nigeria love one another. In the first example, ‘themselves’ is a reflexive pronoun which means each politician loves himself/herself. While in the second example, ‘one another’ is a reciprocal pronoun which means politician A loves politicians B – Z, and in the same vein politicians B – Z love politicians A – Z. But you and I know this is not the case in Nigeria.

https://newsroundtheclock.com/nrtc-english-themselves-is-different-from-one-another/

(1) (Reply)

Short Stories For Kids / All You Need To Know About Oil-investors.com / Privacy Online Training & Cyber Security Courses In United States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.