Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,091 members, 7,811,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op (16383 Views)

CBN To Release Old Naira Notes To Banks Over NLC Protest / CBN Introduces N6.98 Charges For USSD Services / Pantami Warns Telcos Against Blocking Bank USSD Services (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by Islie: 7:53am On May 13, 2023
NCC okays disconnection of USSD services for banks over N120bn debt – Telecom operators

Telecommunications Operators in Nigeria say they have been granted approval by the Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, to disconnect banks over N120 billion Unstructured Supplementary Service Data, USSD, debt.

This was made known in a statement signed by Gbenga Adebayo, Chairman of the Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria, ALTON, on Friday in Lagos.

He said that Mobile Network Operators, MNOs, would disconnect banks if they failed to pay the debt owed.

Mr Adebayo said that the approval was granted because in spite of the multi-party stakeholder efforts to resolve the situation and prevent any impact on services, banks continued to incur greater debt, without making the commensurate payments.

He said members of the public would recall that MNOs and banks had protracted disagreements concerning the appropriate USSD pricing model for financial transactions, transparency of charges, mode of collection and liability for payment of the outstanding and continuous service fees due to the MNOs.

Due to the inability of MNOs and banks to reach an agreement on the issues, MNOs in 2021 sought to disconnect banks due to the unpaid debts which stood at N42 billion as at that time.

“However, the Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, Prof. Isa Pantami, intervened and asked the MNOs not to disconnect banks as the action will negatively impact on the digital and financial inclusion policy of the Federal Government.

Unfortunately, the patriotic intervention of the minister and the NCC have been taken for granted by the banks, as two years after, the banks have failed to sign a final agreement,” he said.

Mr Adebayo noted that It was pertinent to note that the contract between MNOs and banks on the use of USSDs for banking transactions was strictly commercial and MNOs were at liberty to withdraw the services if the transaction was unprofitable to them.

He noted that MNOs have invested billions of naira in expanding their systems to accommodate the USSD needs of banks over the years.

Mr Adebayo said this had resulted in more Nigerians having access to banking services in addition to enabling banks to trim down costs by requiring less branches to service their growing customers.

He said that unfortunately, MNOs were not getting paid for their services and the debt that stood at N42 billion in 2021 had now risen to over N120 billion.

“It is obvious that the level of debt is unsustainable given the time or value of the huge cost of the continuous upgrade, operation of the systems and infrastructure dedicated to supporting USSD transactions of banks.

“In view of the foregoing, unless banks meet their debt obligations, MNOs will disconnect all banks indebted to them for USSD services rendered,” Mr Adebayo said.

https://dailynigerian.com/ncc-okays-disconnection-ussd/

1 Like

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by Parachoko: 7:56am On May 13, 2023
When dem wan disconnect am, make dem let me know

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by Rootprof(m): 7:58am On May 13, 2023
Why banks no pay now. We customers get charged every month and on every transaction from both side so where is the money going ?

I think it's time I stop reading Nigeria news cos it's just annoying

114 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by madridguy(m): 8:02am On May 13, 2023
Could this be the primary reason I cannot effect transfer on my FBN since yesterday.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by Jostoman: 8:08am On May 13, 2023
Anytime they start their news i will just switch to music channel

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by chatinent: 8:19am On May 13, 2023
Please disconnect it.

If they charge each customer the way they do every now and then, they should pay.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by YoungLionken(m): 1:45pm On May 13, 2023
What a whooping sum!!

The USSD is very handy for use, they should please resolve the issue without terminating anything...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by Dozie32(m): 1:45pm On May 13, 2023
Nigeria is shithole

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by STEWpid(f): 1:46pm On May 13, 2023
Chai..

Another shithole hullabaloo loading for the masses.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 13, 2023
APC and debt

3 Likes

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by updatechange(m): 1:46pm On May 13, 2023
Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by ATEAMS: 1:47pm On May 13, 2023
Damn
Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by KingTom(m): 1:48pm On May 13, 2023
madridguy:
Could this be the primary reason I cannot effect transfer on my FBN since yesterday.
I had to use a POS and pay extra just to get money across, a real shame

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by adioolayi(m): 1:49pm On May 13, 2023
These banks are selfish!!!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by chaseblack(m): 1:49pm On May 13, 2023
Late
Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by updatechange(m): 1:49pm On May 13, 2023
Banks should pay their debt na😒

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by Akwamkpuruamu: 1:49pm On May 13, 2023
Nigerian banks are thieves and very greedy. Minimum charge on ussd transfer is #10. Why not give network providers #3 and take the rest? Why the greed

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by Akwamkpuruamu: 1:50pm On May 13, 2023
madridguy:

Fbn has been misbehaving since yesterday, I noticed

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by BIGDADDY000(m): 1:54pm On May 13, 2023
madridguy:
Even their APPLICATION isn't working till now, first bank is terrible when it's comes to online transactions

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by BeardedmeatR(m): 1:57pm On May 13, 2023
These bankers should pay what they owe joor. They collect their charges instantly, so why are they not remitting to Telcoms

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by ernesco0816517(m): 1:57pm On May 13, 2023
GREED

1 Like

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by yomalex(m): 1:57pm On May 13, 2023
Again?
Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by MiosheEmpire1(m): 1:58pm On May 13, 2023
I can't even remember the last time I used my bank ussd code.
I prefer the Bank App

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by oluwaseyi0: 2:00pm On May 13, 2023
But they are already charging us for this na

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by Nobody: 2:01pm On May 13, 2023
Rootprof:
Why banks no pay now. We customers get charged every month and on every transaction from both side so where is the money going ?

I think it's time I stop reading Nigeria news cos it's just annoying

Banks are thieves. Zenith Bank is the worst out of the four banks I am using. They charge us. Our accounts are debited, yet, the banks refused to settle telecom operators. It is unfair.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by lomprico(m): 2:03pm On May 13, 2023
The banks should refund it's customers all they have been deducting. What fuckry?
They charge customers monthly and refuse to pay ncc. Rogues.

Nigeria still remains a big crime scene angry

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by Angelfrost(m): 2:03pm On May 13, 2023
Everybody just dey owe for this contraption!

President is owing generational debt to several nations!

Governors are owing more money than some nations!

Companies and homes are owing TCN electricity payments!

Now, banks are owing Telecom companies!

... What's up with this debt culture of this third world contraption?!! undecided

3 Likes

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by owem19(m): 2:05pm On May 13, 2023
Don't mind the thiefs
chatinent:
Please disconnect it.

If they charge each customer the way they do every now and then, they should pay.
Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by Obaofaba: 2:05pm On May 13, 2023
I think it's high time first Bank is called out for their poor services in recent time.

Since four days ago, you can only receive fund but can't transfer same in all their payment channels including ussd, and bank application.

It's really annoying, hope they are not going the way of zenith Bank?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by Creamypie(m): 2:11pm On May 13, 2023
Access bank pls pay up. Ina dey deduct 250 officially from me monthly. then 19 naira per transaction from me. Thieves in suit

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op by jaeyking(m): 2:18pm On May 13, 2023
cheesy
All the deductions bank does and yet dem no fit pay.

It is well oo

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biography Of Tony Onyemaechi Elumelu | The Man Who Made$123 Million In 3 Weeks / Food Inflation In Nigeria Rises To 17.38% As Inflation Rate Jumps To 14.23% / Popular Power-line Market Aba Abia State Destroyed By Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.