Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,962 members, 7,810,659 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:54 PM

3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti (20078 Views)

Young Man In Suit Finally Caught After Stealing Phones Many Times (Pix/Video) / Siblings, Friend To Die By Hanging In Ondo For Stealing Phones, Motorcycles / Evangelist Akinjide Durojaiye Beaten For Stealing Phones While Preaching, Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by benjackugo: 9:27am On May 16, 2023
An Ekiti State High Court in Ado Ekiti, on Monday, May 15, sentenced three persons to death by hanging for conspiracy and armed robbery, IGBERETV reports.

The defendants: Omotayo Deji, 23, Chidiebere Ifeanyi, 25, and Bolaji Usman, 28, were arraigned before Justice Bamidele Omotoso on January 21, 2020, on a four-count charge bordering on conspiracy and armed robbery.

The charge reads that the defendants on “May 6, 2019, at Aba Erinfun, Federal Polytechnic Road, Ado Ekiti in Ado Ekiti Judicial Division did conspire to commit a felony, to wit; armed robbery and robbed Ademiloye Stephen, Olokuntoye Temitope and Ajayi Kolade of their belongings, such as phones, laptop computer, sandals, phone chargers and power banks valued at N186,000, as at the time of the robbery. They were armed with cutlass and wooden plank,"

According to the charges, the alleged offences contradicted Sections 6 (b), 1 (2) (a) of the Robbery and Firearms (Special Provisions) Act, Cap. RII, Vol. 14, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.

One of the victims in his statement to the police, said: “We were sleeping in our room at about 2:30 a.m., suddenly, I heard a loud sound on the door, immediately, we woke up, I saw the defendants armed with cutlass and wooden plank, immediately, they broke the electric bulb with the plank in their hand. They commanded us to lay face down and bring out all our money. We told them that we are students and we don’t have money, but they started beating us on our backs with sticks and cutlasses.

“Thereafter, they started collecting our phones, laptops, chargers, sandals, power banks and others I could not remember and ran away. We were later shouting for help but nobody came out.”

To prove his case, the police prosecutor, Kunle-Shina Adeyemo, called one witness and tendered statements of the victims and defendants, as well as phones among others as exhibits.

The defendants testified through their counsels, without calling witnesses.

In his judgement, Justice Bamidele Omotoso said, "I am of the strong opinion that the prosecution has proved beyond reasonable doubt the offence of armed robbery against the defendants.

"They are hereby found guilty as charged and convicted for the offence of armed robbery.

“The sentence of the court upon you, Omotayo Deji, Chidiebere Ifeanyi, and Bolaji Usman is that you be hanged by the neck until you are dead, and may the Lord have mercy on your souls.”

https://igberetvnews.com/1445145/3-sentenced-death-stealing-phones-chargers-sandals-power-banks-ekiti/

7 Likes

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by CodeTemplar: 9:39am On May 16, 2023
Rich man wen steal money, omo we no dey see their face for crime fighter. ..

120 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by Typicool8(m): 11:01am On May 16, 2023
Which kind useless judgement be this..I am not supporting crime but what happened to sentencing them to jail for a number of years.
The useless politicians stealing billions are busy roaming free and are being celebrated while ordinary criminals ate being sentenced to death.. smh for Nigeria

114 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by Angrygoat: 1:10pm On May 16, 2023
That's too harsh,why not slam them 3 years. This na burglars na. No life was lost,so why sentence them to death. Judiciary system na joke.

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by Dexy4yah(m): 1:54pm On May 16, 2023
Only in Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by FineUsername(m): 1:54pm On May 16, 2023
Good!

Unfortunately this gesture won’t be extended to the main criminals.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by Nawttiboi007(m): 1:55pm On May 16, 2023
shocked

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 1:55pm On May 16, 2023
Terrible

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by Jackpat(m): 1:55pm On May 16, 2023
Are you kidding me

This is called Jungle Justice Judgement

9 Likes

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by PrinceOfLagos: 1:56pm On May 16, 2023
After supporting and voting Tinubu, they go about stealing to put food on the table . What a people

😂😂😂

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by LeoDeKing: 1:56pm On May 16, 2023
Chidiebere Ifeanyi stealing sandals and phone chargers in Ekiti state so he can survive.

But his brother is somewhere boasting Chidiebere Ifeanyi is a billionaire living in his own mansion in Banana Island of Lagos State.

Na wa o.

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by Kaybaba5(m): 1:56pm On May 16, 2023
This judgement strong gannnnn

1 Like

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by goodnessme1(f): 1:56pm On May 16, 2023
Reminds me of the song by African China"poor man that thief Magi"

7 Likes

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by GreatnessT: 1:56pm On May 16, 2023
According to the judgement that reads

"I am of the strong opinion that the prosecution has proved beyond reasonable doubt the offence of armed robbery against the defendants."

So it is a case of Army Robbery.

6 Likes

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by GboyegaD(m): 1:56pm On May 16, 2023
Our judiciary lack conscience. You try our politicians by another law and give them 6 months for looting billions and try the common man by a law that sentences them to death for stealing a phone.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by slawomir: 1:56pm On May 16, 2023
Damnnn niggar

For phone charger

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 16, 2023
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by Ireportlive: 1:56pm On May 16, 2023
Ifeanyi for ekiti

3 Likes

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by DoTheNeedful: 1:56pm On May 16, 2023
Typicool8:
Which kind useless judgement be this..I am not supporting crime but what happened to sentencing them to jail for a number of years.
The useless politicians stealing billions are busy roaming free and are being celebrated while ordinary criminals ate being sentenced to death.. smh for Nigeria

I understand your perspective. However, based on our existing laws, the judgement was well delivered. According to our laws, there is a clear difference between robbery and armed robbery. If I took your phone at gun-point or knife-point , I would be given a death penalty. If I snuck into your room to steal your phone, I might be given few months in prison.

A politician that steals billions would be given a more favourable sentence than a Kingsley that took your 5,000 using knife.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by pejuakinab: 1:57pm On May 16, 2023
Why!!
This is a judgement different from Baalablu blublu ulabar.
The law is definitely blind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by LeoDeKing: 1:57pm On May 16, 2023
PrinceOfLagos:
After supporting and voting Tinubu, they go about stealing to put food on the table . What a people 😂😂😂
You mean Chidiebere Ifeanyi was stealing sandals and battery chargers in Ekiti to put food on his table? Shouldn't he be a billionaire owning the entire Banana Island in Lagos?

11 Likes

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by braine(m): 1:57pm On May 16, 2023
This is too much.
Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by SLOVFO(m): 1:57pm On May 16, 2023
Typicool8:

They were sentenced for armed robbery. Forget about the sensational headline, armed robbery will get you a death sentence for obvious reasons. Anyone that confronts you with arms can "mistakenly" kill you too... though the judge would have been more lenient. Make them appeal the judgement

8 Likes

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by Tboymessiah(m): 1:57pm On May 16, 2023
NasoLifeBe!!!
Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by Felix6: 1:57pm On May 16, 2023
The judge smoke Ganja?

2 Likes

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by Westchester(m): 1:57pm On May 16, 2023
I expected people like Tinubu, Buhari Mcoluomo to be the ones being hanged in the gallows with the event being televised live on TV and not these petty thieves undecided tongue

Take this to the bank, Tinubu will never be president grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by Risingblue008(m): 1:57pm On May 16, 2023
How much the former accountant general of the federation steal again self?
What was he's judgement?
Just see rubbish judgement.

Na so we go sit down dey look all dis politicians go dey rob us all both in
LAWS AND ORDER
INFRASTRUCTURE
GOOD ROADS
STANDARD EDUCATION
etc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by RedChiefPriest: 1:57pm On May 16, 2023
Haha death on top robbery wey human lives no lost?
Years in prison is the best punishment.
If them kill I for agree with the death sentence.
Na for common man dem go dey flex power to give rubbish sentence.
I won't be shocked if they want to replace them with some powerful people that were already sentenced to death sha.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by Christistruth02: 1:57pm On May 16, 2023
Ekiti Judges no dey look person face when sentencing

The Ekiti have always been known for their forthrightness since ancient times

Ekiti has always been a very bad place to be a Criminal

If you stole an ordinary pair of Slippers there it was treated as a very grievous Offence

It is this woke generation that have been spoiling their name and reputation

I pray that the higher courts will grant them mercy and reduce their sentences to 5-10 years imprisonment

3 Likes

Re: 3 Sentenced To Death For Stealing Phones Chargers, Sandals, Power Banks In Ekiti by ManWater: 1:57pm On May 16, 2023
Looks like Petty Theft but it is still Armed Robbery.

But what about Polithiefcians armed with Pen, who steal our commonwealth.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Our Churches, Houses Destroyed In Maro, Kajuru In Kaduna - Survivor / 82-Year-Old Herbalist, 8 Others Arrested For The Murder Of A Policeman In Ondo / Obiano Welcomes “Exercise Python Dance” To Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.