Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,348 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:06 AM

Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? (21977 Views)

Pay Slip Of UBA Contract Staff Who Earns ₦‎45,000 Monthly / Radiography Vs Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative / Pharmacy Vs Nursing: Which Is More Lucrative? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by Amayabor1: 6:27am On May 20, 2023
ProphetM0hammad:
I have answered this question one too many times
But i realized the mods love to push controversial topics to the front page.

Both are lucrative, you can't categorically say one is more lucrative, it depends on what you make of it.

But Dentists generally have better package from the government from the start, which makes them both complacent and delusional.

Pharmacists on the other hand are forced to look for side hustle to augment their salaries, so they go into business, some of them lease their licenses too

Dentists are complacent and delusional? You must be a very great fool!

2 Likes

Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by RealLordZeus(m): 6:28am On May 20, 2023
Mcslize:

This is the misconception people have about Dentistry. Go to any teaching hospital and see people with teeth problems waiting for Doctors to attend to them.

Lots of people have teeth problems. You will not know if you don't go to the hospital.
Those you saw at teaching hospitals are people with severe and extreme dental cases....

A regular person ought to visit a dentist at least once in six months..

More over the issue is the comparison with Pharmacy ....

No matter how piggy headed you are, there is a high probability of visiting a pharmacist once in 3 months whereas I know a lot people that have never visited a dentist in their lifetime

2 Likes

Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by Amayabor1: 6:32am On May 20, 2023
foxton:
Pharmacy my brother. If u graduate from dentistry na sand u wan shop if dem no employ u. If for Japa Dentistry de okay

See this Ode! You can never see one unemployment dentist in this country. The demand for dentist in this country is more that what is produced. In government hospitals, they paid well, same salary as medical doctors. In private sector, many of them even earn more than those in government hospitals.

On the other hand, there are so many unemployed pharmacists in Nigeria. Many end up as doing sales boy or girl job in chemist shops.

2 Likes

Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by Amayabor1: 6:34am On May 20, 2023
addexx:

Careerwise Dentists earn more money.

First off Dentists are Doctors. Both are governed by NMDCN and NMA. They are specialized early in their careers. Their specialty is oral cavity and maxillofacial regions and how it affects the body as a whole. So dentists are already surgeons upon graduation because of the various procedures they rigorously learnt at med school.

Back to your questions. Dentists are sort after because they are very rare. Inviting a dentist to consult in a private hospital will gulp at least 100k. The various procedures they carry out also, like filling cavities, fixing braces, facial reconstruction, aesthetics and whitening... Etc are very expensive and may run into millions. A resident Dentist takes about 250k above per month here in Nigeria and could average $5k to 20k per month abroad.

That's not true. A resident dentist and medical doctors earn more than #250k a month.

1 Like

Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by Amayabor1: 6:37am On May 20, 2023
Angelfrost:

Earn more money in Naija??! That would be hard to believe! tongue

You are not informed that is while it is hard to believe to you. Dentists earn more than pharmacists in Nigeria and abroad. Anywhere!
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by Amayabor1: 6:37am On May 20, 2023
SonofGod231:

A pharmacist and A doctor are on same entry level point#I stand to be corrected,yeah.

That's not true
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by Amayabor1: 6:44am On May 20, 2023
pharmbayo:
and have you asked yourself how many Nigerian Hospitals engage the service of a dentist? Very few....I know alot of dentists that cant even show face when calling Doctors....Pharmacy is more diverse and lucrative

Lol. Stop lying. Many dentists are big boys. You can never see an unemployed dentist in Nigeria and all Dentists in Nigeria earn above 250k (both in the government and private sector). For some in the private sector, their package also comes with accommodation.

But there are many unemployed pharmacists in Nigeria. Some will end up as salesperson in chemist shop. Some will end up as sales rep for drug companies and their pay is 100k or 120k. If it too much, 150k. Only a very few can set up their own patent pharmacy shop. I see pharmacists doing sales boy and salesgirl in pharmacy shops in Nigeria and I just shake my head. Infact, many pharmacy shops no longer employ pharmacists. They just employ auxillary nurses and teach them drug dosing.

Even in government hospitals, Dentists earn more than pharmacists.

2 Likes

Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by Amayabor1: 6:46am On May 20, 2023
SonofGod231:

"What's the entry point of these two now in Nigeria federal civil service"?! Pls,disregard.
I just spoke to a friend who says an average pay of 150k Conhess and 250k Conmess at both entry points respectively.

It is more than 250k sef.
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by Amayabor1: 6:53am On May 20, 2023
Angelfrost:

Lol... Of course, by cadre, dentists and physicians earn more than pharmacists in hospitals, especially government hospitals!

That still doesn't mean Dentists make more money than Pharmacists in Nigeria! Except you'll have me believe that all dentists' and pharmacists' employment in Nigeria is done in government hospitals!

Matter of fact, how many of our dentists, pharmacists, and even doctors do government hospitals and establishments absorb??! barely 30%!

We are talking private practice here...! In that aspect, where pay comes through visitations and consultations, who is more in demand and who sees more money annually??!

Even in the private sector, Dentists earn more than pharmacists. What are the prospects for pharmacists in the private sector?

1. Many of them do sales rep for drug companies, going from one hospital to another to advertise drugs. Their salary is in the range of 100-150k

2. Working in pharmacy and chemist shops. These ones are usually the least pay. Highest 100k. Infact, mant pharmacy shops now employ auxillary nurses and teach them drug dosing.

3. Only a very few have the financial capacity to open a pharmacy shop.

And believe you mean, there are many unemployed pharmacists in Nigeria.

However, no Dentist in the private sector in Nigeria earns below 250k while those who can afford to own their own dental clinic make millions monthly.

There is one thing I assure you; you can never find an unemployed dentist in Nigeria. Some even combine government and private clinic work, earning more.

2 Likes

Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by Deogratias0030(m): 7:16am On May 20, 2023
In as much as well paid profession is very important, always consider your passions....what do u enjoy doing without motivations? You will do excellently there.
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by dazzlingd(m): 7:40am On May 20, 2023
It's Nigeria factor that brings this kind of questions.
In better systems, you can do whatever you wish and be good at it, you will surely make money. And it doesnt matter if you earn 200k dollars per annum or 130k per annum, you will find peace of mind and joy at whatever you do as long as you earn above minimum wage, you will be able to afford simple luxury and live a fulfilled life

2 Likes

Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by aluko360(m): 7:48am On May 20, 2023
Mcslize:

Correct that statement. Dental officers are not Doctors. Dental officers are like Nurses. It's dental Nurses also known as dental officers you are referring to as Doctors? Abomination!

Dental technicians or dental surgery technicians are the ones who are like nurses.

Medical or dental officers are the designation assigned to doctors who are not in the residency training programme in government hospitals.

A brother is presently a Principal Dental Officer (Conmess 6 Step 5).

CONMESS is the salary structure for medical and dental officers in the federal public service while CONHESS is the salary structure for their counterparts in other fields including pharmacy, medical laboratory science, nursing, among others.
Please check your facts before shouting abomination up and down.

1 Like

Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by samz77: 7:58am On May 20, 2023
FOREX! FOREX!! FOREX!!! Learn the art of forex trading. If you are a novice when it comes to forex trading, you can begin forex from the materials I will be sending to you. These courses which are self explanatory will brush you up from kindergarten to graduate level.This course explain how you can trade forex manually and with the use of artificial intelligence. You can't find these courses anywhere because it breaks how forex is being traded to profitability. Unlike some courses that when you read you it . You can't just comprehend. This courses goes for just the amount you use in buying slice bread at the market.You need to secure your future and that of your coming generation. Get in touch with me on this watshapp 08134351329 or Gmail address: alatolait@ gmail.com . Or you make payment of just #1500 to ecobank acct: 3161174486. Once payment is confirmed immediately I will forward it.
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by bluefilm: 8:11am On May 20, 2023
Forexmax:
Dentistry or pharmacy in Nigeria? How lucrative and earnings?

Bet9ja dey more profitable than both of them.

2 Likes

Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by sageb: 10:32am On May 20, 2023
Forexmax:

In Nigeria, Pharmacy is lucrative
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by Angelfrost(m): 12:09pm On May 20, 2023
Amayabor1:

Even in the private sector, Dentists earn more than pharmacists. What are the prospects for pharmacists in the private sector?

1. Many of them do sales rep for drug companies, going from one hospital to another to advertise drugs. Their salary is in the range of 100-150k

2. Working in pharmacy and chemist shops. These ones are usually the least pay. Highest 100k. Infact, mant pharmacy shops now employ auxillary nurses and teach them drug dosing.

3. Only a very few have the financial capacity to open a pharmacy shop.

And believe you mean, there are many unemployed pharmacists in Nigeria.

However, no Dentist in the private sector in Nigeria earns below 250k while those who can afford to own their own dental clinic make millions monthly.

There is one thing I assure you; you can never find an unemployed dentist in Nigeria. Some even combine government and private clinic work, earning more.

That's awesome to hear.
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by paix(m): 1:04pm On May 20, 2023
RealLordZeus:
Pharmacy over dentistry in Nigeria

But in developed countries, it might be vice versa

The last time I visited a Dentist was 3 years ago..

Not even for scaling and polishing, twice a year?

1 Like

Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by Odogwupedro(m): 1:20pm On May 20, 2023
busybay:
No ask this thing 2 times o: Pharmacy is king of medical practice.

You say what, pharmacy too me is over rated, after the vigorous training they end up dispensing drugs. For peanut money
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by RealLordZeus(m): 2:19pm On May 20, 2023
paix:
Not even for scaling and polishing, twice a year?
Na so we see am oo.. just planning another scaling this month
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by hakym619(m): 3:14pm On May 20, 2023
Probz:

It’s not always, ’though, is it? Moreover, a typical frustrated Nigerian-Nigerian (from Abbey to Emeka to Kunle), especially males, lacks the empathy and patience to be an occupational therapist.

Are you one ?
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by NLegendforte: 6:54pm On May 20, 2023
Op go 4 dentistry.
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by DrDunamis(m): 7:10pm On May 20, 2023
Forexmax:
Honour the practice, it's a sacred call to humanitarian service not a business scheme.
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by paix(m): 4:35pm On May 21, 2023
RealLordZeus:

Na so we see am oo.. just planning another scaling this month
Now you're talking!
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by sherylbaky(f): 5:32pm On May 21, 2023
shocked shocked shocked They are many in highbrow areas, a friend of mine was charged 600k for braces of recent.

Those guys be catching out like anything. Their job is not just in demand in the hood
Jennifer89:

How many people dey brace teeth?
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by sherylbaky(f): 5:32pm On May 21, 2023
sherylbaky:
shocked shocked shocked They are many in highbrow areas, a friend of mine was charged 600k for braces of recent.

Those guys be catching out like anything. Their job is not just in demand in the hood
C2Ok:

You’d be surprised by the number of appointments these dentists book, braces are quite uncommon but not nonexistent
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by pharmbayo(m): 2:49pm On May 29, 2023
Lol...I Laugh....I wld advice you take a walk into any Government Hospital close to you and see things for yourself.....
Amayabor1:

Lol. Stop lying. Many dentists are big boys. You can never see an unemployed dentist in Nigeria and all Dentists in Nigeria earn above 250k (both in the government and private sector). For some in the private sector, their package also comes with accommodation.

But there are many unemployed pharmacists in Nigeria. Some will end up as salesperson in chemist shop. Some will end up as sales rep for drug companies and their pay is 100k or 120k. If it too much, 150k. Only a very few can set up their own patent pharmacy shop. I see pharmacists doing sales boy and salesgirl in pharmacy shops in Nigeria and I just shake my head. Infact, many pharmacy shops no longer employ pharmacists. They just employ auxillary nurses and teach them drug dosing.

Even in government hospitals, Dentists earn more than pharmacists.
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by Amayabor1: 4:37pm On May 29, 2023
pharmbayo:
Lol...I Laugh....I wld advice you take a walk into any Government Hospital close to you and see things for yourself.....

Lol. You dey laugh at your ignorance na. grin

Dentists and medical doctors are on the same salary scale in government hospitals. They are both on CONMESS salary scale and they receive the same salary. Other health workers are on CONHESS salary scale. So, which government hospital you dey talk about? Are you talking about the state of the hospital or the pay Dentists receive? You should be asking questions from your senior colleagues o. In any government hospital, Dentists are paid better than Pharmacists. Or you want to argue that there are not many pharmacists in this country that are unemployed? Some are doing sales boy work in pharmacy shops receiving 30 to 50k.

PS: And I hope you are not mistaking Dentists (also called Dental surgeons) for Dental technologists and Dental Therapists? Because most of them claim to be Dentists.
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by pharmbayo(m): 4:15pm On May 31, 2023
You are getting it wrong bro...no one is arguing with you on the salary scaleat all....Dentists are paid more than Pharmacists. What we are actually talking about here is the Lucrativeness of the profession in Nigeria. No where in Nigeria wld a Pharmacist be used as a Sales boy and be paid 50k...If you know the number of Pharmacies in the country looking for the service of Pharmacists...you wont be saying this at all..Do you know that you cant even Open a Pharmacy in Nigeria without you getting a Pharmacist? Do you now know the number of Pharmacies you have in your locality? Any Pharmacies not having atleast a Pharmacist is illegal in the country and which can be closed at any time....
Pharmacists are paid about 800k per year for just to release their licence and certificate for a premise registration and this does not cover their service in the
Pharmacy at all..
Dentists are paid more when employed but Pharmacy has more Job Opportunities in Nigeria
Amayabor1:

Lol. You dey laugh at your ignorance na. grin

Dentists and medical doctors are on the same salary scale in government hospitals. They are both on CONMESS salary scale and they receive the same salary. Other health workers are on CONHESS salary scale. So, which government hospital you dey talk about? Are you talking about the state of the hospital or the pay Dentists receive? You should be asking questions from your senior colleagues o. In any government hospital, Dentists are paid better than Pharmacists. Or you want to argue that there are not many pharmacists in this country that are unemployed? Some are doing sales boy work in pharmacy shops receiving 30 to 50k.

PS: And I hope you are not mistaking Dentists (also called Dental surgeons) for Dental technologists and Dental Therapists? Because most of them claim to be Dentists.
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by Peterlove11: 11:30am On Jun 01, 2023
pharmbayo:
You are getting it wrong bro...no one is arguing with you on the salary scaleat all....Dentists are paid more than Pharmacists. What we are actually talking about here is the Lucrativeness of the profession in Nigeria. No where in Nigeria wld a Pharmacist be used as a Sales boy and be paid 50k...If you know the number of Pharmacies in the country looking for the service of Pharmacists...you wont be saying this at all..Do you know that you cant even Open a Pharmacy in Nigeria without you getting a Pharmacist? Do you now know the number of Pharmacies you have in your locality? Any Pharmacies not having atleast a Pharmacist is illegal in the country and which can be closed at any time....
Pharmacists are paid about 800k per year for just to release their licence and certificate for a premise registration and this does not cover their service in the
Pharmacy at all..
Dentists are paid more when employed but Pharmacy has more Job Opportunities in Nigeria

Dentistry is like blood Money.....If you know, you know
Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by Amayabor1: 12:41pm On Jun 01, 2023
pharmbayo:
Pharmacy at all..

Let's conclude on this matter.

In government hospitals, Dentists are paid higher than pharmacists.

In private, Dentists working in private dental clinics and private establishments (like toothpaste companies) earn higher than pharmacists working in private companies.

Your argument however, is that pharmacists make more money when their licences are used to open pharmacy store. Bro, come back to reality. How many pharmacists do you know that was paid for his/her license so it can be used to open a pharmacy store? Only few pharmacists get that opportunity. Many pharamacy stores in this country operate without the license of a pharmacist. And have you ever thought about Dentists that own their own private practice? The 800k some few pharmacists make when they are paid for their licences is what many Dental clinic owners make in 3 weeks or less (especially clinics that do braces work). Some Dentists who own their Dental clinics make millions per month.

3 Likes

Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by Maid007: 6:45am On Jun 03, 2023
Amayabor1:

Let's conclude on this matter.

In government hospitals, Dentists are paid higher than pharmacists.

In private, Dentists working in private dental clinics and private establishments (like toothpaste companies) earn higher than pharmacists working in private companies.

Your argument however, is that pharmacists make more money when their licences are used to open pharmacy store. Bro, come back to reality. How many pharmacists do you know that was paid for his/her license so it can be used to open a pharmacy store? Only few pharmacists get that opportunity. Many pharamacy stores in this country operate without the license of a pharmacist. And have you ever thought about Dentists that own their own private practice? The 800k some few pharmacists make when they are paid for their licences is what many Dental clinic owners make in 3 weeks or less (especially clinics that do braces work). Some Dentists who own their Dental clinics make millions per month.
Chief, don't bother trying to indulge them any further. And there is no need exposing the perks of dentistry. Let anyone that wants to choose pharmacy over dentistry go ahead. The fewer the merrier...
This thread itself is an insult to dentistry and dental surgery.

1 Like

Re: Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? by frankpro27(m): 6:56am On Jun 03, 2023
Amayabor1:

See this Ode! You can never see one unemployment dentist in this country. The demand for dentist in this country is more that what is produced. In government hospitals, they paid well, same salary as medical doctors. In private sector, many of them even earn more than those in government hospitals.

On the other hand, there are so many unemployed pharmacists in Nigeria. Many end up as doing sales boy or girl job in chemist shops.

Nothing like unemployed pharmacist in nigeria. Nd a pharmacist can never work in a chemist shop. Or maybe u don't know the difference bw a pharmacy and a chemist. In Nigeria, u can't compare pharmacy nd dentistry, they are way apart.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Confusion In Customs As Newly Retired Officers Stay Put / Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? / Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.