Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,504 members, 7,816,197 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria (4331 Views)

For Those Arguing See Video Of The Nonsense Rice Sent By Government / Constitution Says Erring Judges Must Be Investigated By NJC Only — Afe Babalola / APC Releases Mode Of Primaries For 36 States, FCT [see Breakdown] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by Kingsmeal: 6:10pm On May 17, 2023
Look what just got found in the 1999 Constitution. Tada! 😀

2/3 of the States and the FCT. One MUST get this 25% requirement before being the President of FRN!!!

2 Likes

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by Kingsmeal: 6:10pm On May 17, 2023
grin
Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by Jones4190(m): 6:21pm On May 17, 2023
Section 299 of the same Constitution provides that “The provisions of this Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of the states of the Federation; and accordingly.
why do you mean by this statement

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by Kingsmeal: 6:24pm On May 17, 2023
Jones4190:
Section 299 of the same Constitution provides that “The provisions of this Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of the states of the Federation; and accordingly.

Did you finish Primary one to be asking me this stupid question?

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by Jones4190(m): 6:25pm On May 17, 2023
Kingsmeal:

explain Mr constitutional lawyer

7 Likes

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by NothingDoMe: 6:25pm On May 17, 2023
Jones4190:
As if it were. Not that it is. It still does not partake in everything other states do.

Normally you would have something like "Subject to section 299" inserted into section 134. But it's not there.

Make una prepare for rerun. Even Tinubu is preparing.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by Jones4190(m): 6:30pm On May 17, 2023
NothingDoMe:
As if it were. Not that it is. It still does not partake in everything other states do.

Normally you would have something like "Subject to section 299" inserted into section 134. But it's not there.

you means to become president one need to focuse on Abuja and leave other states?
answer me quick handle mop

13 Likes

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by NothingDoMe: 6:31pm On May 17, 2023
Jones4190:
you means to become president one need to focuse on Abuja and leave other states?
Is that what the constitution says?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by Kingsmeal: 6:36pm On May 17, 2023
Jones4190:

explain Mr constitutional lawyer

You need to visit an optometrist and not my explanation. Namaste

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by Jones4190(m): 6:36pm On May 17, 2023
NothingDoMe:
Is that what the constitution says?
e go clear for you eyes soon
Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by ican2020: 6:36pm On May 17, 2023
Kingsmeal:

You open the thread, answer the question and stop behaving like a bush man

8 Likes

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by Kingsmeal: 6:39pm On May 17, 2023
ican2020:

You mean like your papa?

Run along boy. I don't engage your size.

3 Likes

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by NothingDoMe: 6:40pm On May 17, 2023
Jones4190:

e go clear for you eyes soon
Trolls are usually mentally lazy and deficit in logical reasoning. Unable to handle complex arguments and depend solely on whatsapp group informations.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by PoliteActivist: 6:47pm On May 17, 2023
Constitutionally and legally one must get 25% of FCT,
BUT by common sense one does not need 25% of FCT.
Supreme Court has option of going the common sense route as what the drafters intended. And since the drafters are not around to dispute them, their word is final

6 Likes

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by Ofunaofu: 6:52pm On May 17, 2023
Jones4190:

This is a very myopic argument

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by PoliteActivist: 7:08pm On May 17, 2023
Ofunaofu:

This is a very myopic argument

Actually it's not myopic, it is common sense. BUT it is simply and honestly what the constitution says (focuse on Abuja because you MUST get 25% there), unless one invents his own version of English language!

1 Like

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by DoTheNeedful: 7:14pm On May 17, 2023
I posted this in another thread!

The argument about winning 25% in FCT is the most ridiculous of all the arguments being made by the opposition. It is funny that some senior lawyers who are obviously partisan are also making the argument.

The FCT is just a federating unit like any other state in Nigeria and it's like a 37th state. For people arguing about "AND", I suggest you read Schedule III of the Nigerian constitution which nobody is talking about. It clearly use the same "AND" for the distribution of police commissioners to the 36 states AND the FCT, appointment of commissioners to the National Population Commission from each of the 36 states AND the FCT, appointment of commissioners to the RMAFC from each of the 36 states AND the FCT, appointment of commissioners to INEC from each of the 36 states AND the FCT, appointment of representatives to the FCC from each of the 36 states and the FCT, etc. These are exactly in the same spirit with having 2/3 of the 36 states and the FCT.

In all the above cases, the FCT is clearly seen as a federating unit. As a result, it does not have a special status like some people like to make it, and it should be treated as a state.

I see the court throwing out the FCT case. The best bet for the opposition is to prove that the election was rigged sufficiently enough to change the outcome of the election.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by DoTheNeedful: 7:15pm On May 17, 2023
I don't see any court ruling in favor of compulsorily having 25% in the FCT. Never! undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by Profmizolm: 7:22pm On May 17, 2023
PoliteActivist:
Supreme Court has option of going the common sense route as what the drafters intended. And since the drafters are not around to dispute them, their word is final

Which constitution. You dey yarn dust boss
Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by Profmizolm: 7:25pm On May 17, 2023
DoTheNeedful:
I posted this in another thread!

The argument about winning 25% in FCT is the most ridiculous of all the arguments being made by the opposition. It is funny that some senior lawyers who are obviously partisan are also making the argument.

The FCT is just a federating unit like any other state in Nigeria and it's like a 37th state. For people arguing about "AND", I suggest you read Schedule III of the Nigerian constitution which nobody is talking about. It clearly use the same "AND" for the distribution of police commissioners to the 36 states AND the FCT, appointment of commissioners to the National Population Commission from each of the 36 states AND the FCT, appointment of commissioners to the RMAFC from each of the 36 states AND the FCT, appointment of commissioners to INEC from each of the 36 states AND the FCT, appointment of representatives to the FCC from each of the 36 states and the FCT, etc. These are exactly in the same spirit with having 2/3 of the 36 states and the FCT.

In all the above cases, the FCT is clearly seen as a federating unit. As a result, it does not have a special status like some people like to make it, and it should be treated as a state.

I see the court throwing out the FCT case. The best bet for the opposition is to prove that the election was rigged sufficiently enough to change the outcome of the election.

This message too long. Everybody should read section 17 of the Nigerian constitution. Saying u must get 25% in FCT disobeys this constitution which of course says Nigeria is founded on a principal of equality. No citizen is above d other in any form whatsoever. The only interpretation the court would use to judge is to say FCT is 37th state

2 Likes

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by Tingotoe: 7:26pm On May 17, 2023
Kingsmeal:

You were the one who brought up this issue so respond o ye learned SAN grin
Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by lildush(m): 7:28pm On May 17, 2023
Jones4190:

25% win in d FCT is required as a criteria to be declared winner.. so we don't have a president elect yet.... Going By the constitution.... Tinubu will be served breakfast... 🤣🤣🤣

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by AwkaFinest: 7:28pm On May 17, 2023
ican2020:

This one loud grin grin
Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by AwkaFinest: 7:31pm On May 17, 2023
Profmizolm:

This message too long. Everybody should read section 17 of the Nigerian constitution. Saying u must get 25% in FCT disobeys this constitution which of course says Nigeria is founded on a principal of equality. No citizen is above d other in any form whatsoever. The only interpretation the court would use to judge is to say FCT is 37th state

No citizens living in Abuja are bigger and more important than citizens living anywhere else in Nigeria.

Obidi*ts are wonderful people grin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by Profmizolm: 7:33pm On May 17, 2023
AwkaFinest:

No citizens living in Abuja are bigger and more important that citizens living anywhere else in Nigeria.

Obidi*ts are wonderful people grin grin

I listen to them and laugh. They're not even wise at all. Educated people wen no get sense

3 Likes

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by iLoveYouToo(m): 7:46pm On May 17, 2023
Waste of my time, no new insights brought to light. Why don’t you wait for the tribunal to decide?

1 Like

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by IVORY2009(m): 7:47pm On May 17, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Then the revolution would start from the courts
Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by PoliteActivist: 8:43pm On May 17, 2023
Profmizolm:

Which constitution. You dey yarn dust boss

The constitution that says one MUST get 25% in the 36 states AND FCT (Notice it didn't say "which may include FCT", neither did it say "FCT should be treated as one state", neither did it say "Any state can substitute for FCT"wink. It simply stated "AND FTC", thus giving FTC special status.
If you say it doesn’t give FCT a special status, you are being economical with the truth.
You can ONLY argue that that's not what the drafters meant. And since they are not here to say otherwise, you could be right!
Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:52pm On May 17, 2023
The constitution is final. Once it is breached, Nigeria cease to exist.
Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by OKOATA(m): 9:47pm On May 17, 2023
NothingDoMe:

Oga in as much Obi might triumph in court but plz this issue if rerun just die it. That mamood needs to be jailed first before anything and aside that Nigeria doesn't need to waste another 400B on another sham election. I believe justice would be done but that rerun it won't be possible.
Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by ejimatic: 9:53pm On May 17, 2023
Kingsmeal:
Look what just got found in the 1999 Constitution. Tada! 😀

2/3 of the States and the FCT. One MUST get this 25% requirement before being the President of FRN!!!
Is it not clear that 36 states and FCT equal 37states? Only 2/3 needed to be a president. BAT satisfied the requirements.

1 Like

Re: Those Arguing 25% In FCT, See What The Constitution Says About States In Nigeria by IkeIgboNiile(m): 12:21am On May 18, 2023
PoliteActivist

So the SC will leave what's Legal and constitutional for common sense? Nawa oh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Agbaje May Still Win The 2015 Lagos State Governorship Election / Buhari At Dinner Hosted By President Of State Of Bavaria In Germany / lol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.