Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,366 members, 7,812,053 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:15 AM

How Did You Land Your Current Job? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Did You Land Your Current Job? (11495 Views)

At What Age Did You Land Your First Job? / At What Age Did You Land Your First Job? / Tips To Help You Land A Good Job In 1 Month Or Less (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Vibesking(m): 10:50pm On May 18, 2023
It's not easy for job seekers out there in this present day Nigeria.

Share a story on how you got your current job and slide in some tips too.

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by BarrElChapo(m): 8:01am On May 19, 2023
Vibesking:
It's not easy for job seekers out there in this present day Nigeria.

Share a story on how you got your current job and slide in some tips too.

It fell from the sky like a meteor, damn πŸ™‚

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by GoWithGood: 8:09am On May 19, 2023
Being a job seeker in Nigeria is the worse experience on earth.

22 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by QuinModah(f): 8:13am On May 19, 2023
My advice for Young folks is learn digital skills and start free lancing, the sky is your limit.

I dropped out, learning Web designing and she is making at least a million per month on upwork. The money in her account is at least 10 times my own.

Digital skills is the way.

#50k, #100k work per month, won't make you comfortable, it will just make you not beg to eat.
Skills + Hardwork + Consistency + Prayer

53 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Vibesking(m): 11:03am On May 19, 2023
QuinModah:
My advice for Young folks is learn digital skills and start free lancing, the sky is your limit.

I dropped out, learning Web designing and she is making at least a million per month on upwork. The money in her account is at least 10 times my own.

#50k, #100k work per month, won't make you comfortable, it will just make you not beg to eat.

Very solid advice.

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Vibesking(m): 11:04am On May 19, 2023
BarrElChapo:

It fell from the sky like a meteor, damn πŸ™‚

Mtcheew

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Krublog(m): 2:46pm On May 19, 2023
I just went to visit a friend of mine there during my spare time.

Next was the manager (female) asking for my name.

The rest I would say is history.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by AzuNas: 2:46pm On May 19, 2023
Alright. . . . . . .Aje

Na funny mata. . . .Make we just leave am

Abeg
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by braine(m): 2:47pm On May 19, 2023
Linkedin.

I reached out to a popular person in my industry and asked for a referral. All I did was to then reach out to those people that this so so person asked me to reach out to you.. You'd be shocked at how names open doors. The guy didn't know me from anywhere.

Build connections. Who you know matters than what you know in this country.

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by pocohantas(f): 2:47pm On May 19, 2023
Long story.

I was strolling through Nairaland and saw a thread on freelance. I read up to the last page and somewhere on the third or fourth page, I saw this lady breakdown freelance/remote work.

I copied the link and sent to my tech bro friend for indepth explanation. He did and I started immediately.

It took me months to land a longterm client and after impressing them with my work ethics, they absorbed me fulltime and took me off the freelance platform.

I have that particular thread bookmarked and I bless that lady everyday.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by JohnnyPalmer: 2:47pm On May 19, 2023
I threatened to kill the Interviewer grin

You can try it and thank me later

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by psychologist(m): 2:47pm On May 19, 2023
Build your empire

E get why

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by dovetark: 2:47pm On May 19, 2023
LinkedIn, after much suffering o smiley I'd write a book about landing remote jobs someday. It's both an art and a science + Luck. The first remote job I got was through a referral. In this life it's good to be good. It comes back somehow. If you would be interested in the book, Like. Let me see if it will be worth my time, and if people really need such impact.

19 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Dshocker(m): 2:48pm On May 19, 2023
Salary earners are slaves

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by ShenTeh(m): 2:48pm On May 19, 2023
You won't even believe it.

My current job, I was contacted from a job board. I did a telephone interview and by what should be a second interview with my would be manager (now my manager), it was 'when are you resuming? Do you have any questions for me?' to God be all the glory.

I am resuming a new job mid June, by God's grace, with one of the top 10 banks in the world. I applied for a role with them but got contacted on LinkedIn by them for another (higher) role.

Again, to God be all the glory.

49 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by DrSam4(m): 2:48pm On May 19, 2023
QuinModah:

What is her skill?

1 Like

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by DesChyko: 2:48pm On May 19, 2023
Flexibility (able to adapt) and Growth Mentality (open to learning) remains the watchword here.

Initially, teaching was the only job I had. On my return to Lagos, I applied to a school as a Maths teacher; that's what I'm certified to teach. They said they needed an English teacher so- I cut in saying that's fine; I've actually taught more English than Maths in my professional career. I explained how I got employed in the rural area and as I spoke better than most there and actually wrote a bomb of a letter which intrigued my employer then, he said I try my hands out in English. For a couple of years, I was teaching English. They grudgingly gave me an interview and I passed 'expectedly'. These days, I'm more of a buffer in the teaching department; teaching anything whose main teacher is unavailable for whatever reason. During this period, I managed to have access to the school's laptop and keep custody of it. I started honing my computer and tech skills. An opportunity came in a remote company, I passed and now I have two jobs. ☺️

All I need now is a trick on how to sleep and be working at the same time and I might start hunting for a third πŸ€”

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Generalwoodz(m): 2:49pm On May 19, 2023
I really think I know how I landed my joblessness

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by seunny4lif(m): 2:50pm On May 19, 2023
grin
My mom broke 3 eggs in my head and I landed inside the office as the new Supervisor

7 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Evestar200(f): 2:50pm On May 19, 2023
A Cameroonian recommended me to his fellow countryman who is based in Australia and France.

The man was looking for Nigerians to work it and this my Cameroon friend who saw the passion I have recommended me to his fellow countryman in 2018.

I was able to establish myself with this same job where sometimes I get to close to 300k monthly from it.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by easzypeaszy(m): 2:50pm On May 19, 2023
God did
Applied a month earlier on Linkedin
About a month saw same advert on Linkedin and reapplied
2 Weeks later got an invite.
About 10Days later can you resume so so so..Yes Sir
Will you take 208K? But take home is 170K...Yes sir (Me dat my previous is paying 72K)
You are in.

Till date i didnt submit my Certificate, although its a remote job from Outside country.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Negroid001(m): 2:51pm On May 19, 2023
After staying home for almost 6 months. Random call out of the blues. No interview. Just resumed.

13 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by cassyrooy(m): 2:51pm On May 19, 2023
Lol.

I dey house dey make calls.

And by the side, making steady push.

But I miss having a regular job + side hustles.

Regular job no dey enough, and side no get stability, so combining both gives me the necessary results neither of them can give me.

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by bigdammyj: 2:53pm On May 19, 2023
Reading...
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by socialmediaman: 2:53pm On May 19, 2023
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by sonature1: 2:54pm On May 19, 2023
QuinModah:

Freelancing is already saturated.

If the government doesn't find means to create jobs for our teeming youths, most of them will go into Yahoo+.

Forget tribalism - Nigeria is on the pathway to destruction and needs a brilliant leader to salvage the wrecking ship.

24 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by ytdivine(m): 2:55pm On May 19, 2023
Good question
Before my NYSC, I was determined to work in a company. I was posted to a secondary school to teach but the school rejected me. I visited all the companies in the state and the last one I visited accepted me. Six months into the service, the company notified me of their intentions in employing me due to my outstanding inputs.
Employed immediately after the service year, sent to Siemens for trainings on Programmable Logic controller (PLC), Variable Frequency Drives, Industrial Automation etc. Later sent to Russia on industrial Electronics.
This area of career is mostly occupied by Expatriates in Nigeria, some are even Indians. There are job vacancies for this job because very few are into it mainly because it's hard to learn and the cost of training is very high.
With Dangote refinery coming on board, I advice Nigerian youths to venture into this field of Automation or else the Indians will continue to enjoy the space.
It takes EXTRA efforts to made a difference

30 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by fastseo: 2:55pm On May 19, 2023
learnt few online skills...WordPress, seo..and a few on python, mysql

and from there I have not applied for a single job as I work with most advertisement foreign firm.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Olalan(m): 2:56pm On May 19, 2023
Got referred by a woman I used to sell goods to in my former company

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by ojun50(m): 2:56pm On May 19, 2023
I stop applying for jobs after my last leave. i just leave.

I don tire for
Introduces yr self or can we meet you

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Discountenance Job Offers From Us, INEC Warns Job-seeking Nigerians / Business Plan for loans and grants / National Orthopaedic Hospital Kano Job Recruitment (12 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.