Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,714 members, 7,809,705 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

How Did You Land Your Current Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Did You Land Your Current Job? (11482 Views)

At What Age Did You Land Your First Job? / At What Age Did You Land Your First Job? / Tips To Help You Land A Good Job In 1 Month Or Less (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by valentineuwakwe(m): 4:38pm On May 19, 2023
by God grace through a Efik man, south south Nigeria!
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Krublog(m): 4:42pm On May 19, 2023
SyrusdeHansome:

Na sales boy work?

Hahahahaha!!!!
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Nobody: 4:44pm On May 19, 2023
I graduated with first class from ABU then proceeded to university of nottingham to do my master's degree and PhD.

After doing my PhD , the university board called me to be an associate professor in the university.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Krublog(m): 4:45pm On May 19, 2023
SyrusdeHansome:

Na sales boy work?

When grace speaks for you, there's no question about how or why it does.

No be sales.

Infact it has nothing to do with sales.

More of management....

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Zubby2005(m): 4:48pm On May 19, 2023
Actually it's a system admin job, someone posted it on a Facebook group though I have no experience with networking and servers but because of my zeal and I offered to work for free, I got the job and I work and earn salary at 17yrs.
He did everything himself and I wrote the exams and passed the interview, the rest is history

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Kasdat5(m): 4:49pm On May 19, 2023
QuinModah:
My advice for Young folks is learn digital skills and start free lancing, the sky is your limit.

I dropped out, learning Web designing and she is making at least a million per month on upwork. The money in her account is at least 10 times my own.

Digital skills is the way.

#50k, #100k work per month, won't make you comfortable, it will just make you not beg to eat.
Skills + Hardwork + Consistency + Prayer

How about farming ??
Food & cash crops
No be everyone go be tech .

6 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by ytdivine(m): 4:53pm On May 19, 2023
mkoabiola:

How can one learn d course
D costs nd how long does it take

If you're good in physics or study any Engineering courses, then you're good to go.
A week course in Automation could cost close to half a million naira. You could search online for where to attend such. Some of the trainers have never practised on the field, just dishing out theories.
I have been on this field for over 15 year with hand-on-the-job and had worked with a lot of Expatriates across the globe. Sometimes ago, I decided to train more youths on this field and mentor them to become Automation Engineers but only to realize according to Mr President that Nigerian youths are lazy. Then, I backed out having satisfied my conscience.

6 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by adedami14(m): 4:54pm On May 19, 2023
[quote author=ecomalchemistt

Can I get your contact bro ?
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Mercylike(f): 4:55pm On May 19, 2023
ShenTeh:
You won't even believe it.

My current job, I was contacted from a job board. I did a telephone interview and by what should be a second interview with my would be manager (now my manager), it was 'when are you resuming? Do you have any questions for me?' to God be all the glory.

I am resuming a new job mid June, by God's grace, with one of the top 10 banks in the world. I applied for a role with them but got contacted on LinkedIn by them for another (higher) role.

Again, to God be all the glory.

How do i make such move too
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Mercylike(f): 4:57pm On May 19, 2023
victorVIC1:
Got my current job through LinkedIn. The former one was also through LinkedIn. You get to a point in your career that HRs start reaching out to you if you are good at what you do.

One of the major advices I share with youngsters who care to listen is be humble enough to start small if that's all you have for a start. The key thing is just ensure you have a plan and be intentional in fulfilling your plans. My first job was 27K, I accepted it anyway and did it for only 3 months before I got a good offer from a multinational company. Since then I've switched across 3 different multinationals.

If the only opportunity that is available is a small one, start anyway, learn as much you as you can, build your network, improve on your profile and then the rest will unfold like magic

Can you help me on how to build my LinkedIn page.. Pls
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Newusername(m): 4:57pm On May 19, 2023
ytdivine:
Good question
Before my NYSC, I was determined to work in a company. I was posted to a secondary school to teach but the school rejected me. I visited all the companies in the state and the last one I visited accepted me. Six months into the service, the company notified me of their intentions in employing me due to my outstanding inputs.
Employed immediately after the service year, sent to Siemens for trainings on Programmable Logic controller (PLC), Variable Frequency Drives, Industrial Automation etc. Later sent to Russia on industrial Electronics.
This area of career is mostly occupied by Expatriates in Nigeria, some are even Indians. There are job vacancies for this job because very few are into it mainly because it's hard to learn and the cost of training is very high.
With Dangote refinery coming on board, I advice Nigerian youths to venture into this field of Automation or else the Indians will continue to enjoy the space.
It takes EXTRA efforts to made a difference

Can you shed more light on the "Automation"

1 Like

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by DrSam4(m): 5:00pm On May 19, 2023
Thanks for this my brother.

Please, direct me to where & how to run ads and professionally also.

ecomalchemistt:
As i see say the 50k wey dem dey give me no fit carry me reach bus stop , i enter street.

Ever since , i aint looked back.

Enter street go start business, boss.

Leave this modern slavery thing called job.

Use your brain and social media please.

Tech (Digital Marketing) , combine it with Buying and selling.

Learn how to run facebook and instagram ads PROFESSIONALLY.

I'm a 5 star salesman, paid advertising newbie , that's the skill you need to master now in Nigeria to make money daily.

I can sell water to a well...

If you are in Lagos or any of the cosmopolitan cities, you need some tools.

- Phone , internet , Laptop (not necessary) , facebook, instagram page, twitter, jumia, konga, facebook maeketplace, etc.

- go and learn how to run ads.

- know how to take good pictures.

- use a good logistics company for deliveries.

Enter street, look for big time importers, negotiate with them. Tell them you will bring customers and sell thier products very fast.

One of the hot products i started out with and grew it to a 6 figure business > >

https://www.nairaland.com/7403742/zealot-s67-wireless-speaker-60w

Look for a business that is offline, bring it online and get them sales, make a lot of money.
Not just money...

You will build your confidence.
Your influence will grow, and...
You’ll attract more opportunities to yourself.
You need to start operating smartly.

Look for a business that is offline, bring it online and get them SALES.
Thank me later when you hit your first M

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Mercylike(f): 5:01pm On May 19, 2023
ytdivine:

If you're good in physics or study any Engineering courses, then you're good to go.
A week course in Automation could cost close to half a million naira. You could search online for where to attend such. Some of the trainers have never practised on the field, just dishing out theories.
I have been on this field for over 15 year with hand-on-the-job and had worked with a lot of Expatriates across the globe. Sometimes ago, I decided to train more youths on this field and mentor them to become Automation Engineers but only to realize according to Mr President that Nigerian youths are lazy. Then, I backed out having satisfied my conscience.

Can't you do a paid training?
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Orbhagbemi555: 5:07pm On May 19, 2023
ShenTeh:
You won't even believe it.

My current job, I was contacted from a job board. I did a telephone interview and by what should be a second interview with my would be manager (now my manager), it was 'when are you resuming? Do you have any questions for me?' to God be all the glory.

I am resuming a new job mid June, by God's grace, with one of the top 10 banks in the world. I applied for a role with them but got contacted on LinkedIn by them for another (higher) role.

Again, to God be all the glory.
Same here a bank digital sales AD-HOC STAFF marketing job sha
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Orbhagbemi555: 5:08pm On May 19, 2023
DrAbdulSuleman:
I graduated with first class from ABU then proceeded to university of nottingham to do my master's degree and PhD.

After doing my PhD , the university board called me to be an associate professor in the university.
Salamalehikum
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by geesilver(m): 5:09pm On May 19, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

Try and learn a skill nah, bros. I wish you and other Nigerian youths in similar situation(i know quite a lot of them) the best.
I learn painting job. After making so many effort to secure job and couldn't, but it's unfortunate that sometimes it's somehow
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Tobylawal14: 5:31pm On May 19, 2023
Glory to God.

Sent CV via linkendln, got invites, went for interview and boom, I got the job. To resume June 1st

6 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by o123456789(m): 5:44pm On May 19, 2023
hmm
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by ucheuzor1(m): 5:52pm On May 19, 2023
I was reached out to on LinkedIn. I have done multiple interviews with European and US companies but no success.

To God be the Glory, one clicked and pay is in Euro. Its been good so far.

My only Nigerian interview was supposed to be First bank but I turned it down. I avoided Nigerian companies because their pressure is something else and they pay nonsense.

9 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by clarkmos15(m): 6:01pm On May 19, 2023
QuinModah:
My advice for Young folks is learn digital skills and start free lancing, the sky is your limit.

I dropped out, learning Web designing and she is making at least a million per month on upwork. The money in her account is at least 10 times my own.

#50k, #100k work per month, won't make you comfortable, it will just make you not beg to eat.
best way do learn digital skill?

1 Like

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by ytdivine(m): 6:09pm On May 19, 2023
Mercylike:

Can't you do a paid training?

Depending on the number of people involved

1 Like

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Mummyimbecile(m): 6:09pm On May 19, 2023
QuinModah:

this is wise advice. I have said it here countless times, digital skill is the way to go.

I wish young Nigerians know what bringing out a month or two to learn a digital skill will earn you on Fiveer or Upwork.

When I was in Nigeria, I learned one and it helped me alot. I learnt web design and development.

I freelance, use geepay to convert my dollar and push it to my naira account.

Working on upwork will make you live what I call a baby boy lifestyle.

Imagine earning 3000 dollars a month. It's not easy if you start, but with time, you will reap the fruits.

A friend of mine just got a job in the US, he will be coming to Connecticut next month. He is a data analyst.

7 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by sonofthunder: 6:10pm On May 19, 2023
QuinModah:

Are you a web developer?
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by ytdivine(m): 6:10pm On May 19, 2023
Newusername:

Can you shed more light on the "Automation"

Google could help
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Sofistcatdmoron: 6:21pm On May 19, 2023
Phone call
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by victorVIC1(m): 6:23pm On May 19, 2023
Mercylike:

Can you help me on how to build my LinkedIn page.. Pls

Would only be able to support on this if you are in Supply Chain

1 Like

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by U1(m): 6:37pm On May 19, 2023
Kasdat5:

How about farming ?? Food & cash crops No be everyone go be tech .
Any info to share about those? You can tell us!
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Alaga2222(m): 6:58pm On May 19, 2023
ojun50:
I stop applying for jobs after my last leave. i just leave.

I don tire for
Introduces yr self or can we meet you

so wetin you dey do now
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Nobody: 7:14pm On May 19, 2023
braine:
Linkedin.

I reached out to a popular person in my industry and asked for a referral. All I did was to then reach out to those people that this so so person asked me to reach out to you.. You'd be shocked at how names open doors. The guy didn't know me from anywhere.

Build connections. Who you know matters than what you know in this country.

Nothing but the Absolute Truth.

In Nigeria, I have seen lots of Dumb/Average People who won't pass for 10% of my Intelligence handling Top Positions and these Men are in Money. Some of these people won't even pass for a Vibrant College Degree Holder.

I'm not always Surprised because the Bolded is how they got the Juicy Positions.

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by Jesse6(m): 7:30pm On May 19, 2023
I have two brothers studying computer education
I have tried convincing my parents to channel same amount of money on these guys to learn digital skills but No they so value this degree thing
Mummyimbecile:
this is wise advice. I have said it here countless times, digital skill is the way to go.

I wish young Nigerians know what bringing out a month or two to learn a digital skill will earn you on Fiveer or Upwork.

When I was in Nigeria, I learned one and it helped me alot. I learnt web design and development.

Imagine earning 3000 dollars a month. It's not easy if you start, but with time, you will reap the fruits.

A friend of mine just got a job. In the US, he will be coming to Connecticut next month. He is a data analyst.
Re: How Did You Land Your Current Job? by VTJN(m): 7:35pm On May 19, 2023
Mummyimbecile:

A friend of mine just got a job. In the US, he will be coming to Connecticut next month. He is a data analyst.
can one learn digital skills without a laptop? I'm willing to learn but don't have a laptop

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

N-power: 3 Reasons Why Most N-power Volunteers Were Not Paid Their Backlogs / Why Is Lagos The Preferred City For Job Seekers? / Mainstreet Bank Calling For Assessment.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.