Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,527 members, 7,826,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? (766 Views)

Ponder On This Nd If U're Such A Person, Pls Try Nd Amend ur ways. / What Can't NIGERIANS Do Without [public Interview] {video} / Why Do Good Men Nd Women End With Bad Spouses Nd The Bad Ones With Good Spouses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? by SyrusdeHansome(m): 6:56pm On May 21, 2023
Why is it that whenever a Nigerian has an opportunity to relocate to a foreign country he or she instead of also encouraging nd motivating others that are also nursing the same ambition of traveling out will use the opportunity to discourage us by painting a very bad picture of the said country? They'll begin to tell us how lonely nd how tough it is over there. I have an uncle that once told my dad that if he had his way he will never allow any of his children to set their foot in the US but as i'm writing this 4 of his children are schooling there nd he's abt sending the last born there too. Pls what do u think is the reason successful Nigerians do this.

2 Likes

Re: Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? by gaby(m): 6:57pm On May 21, 2023
SyrusdeHansome:
Why is it that whenever a Nigerian has an opportunity to relocate to a foreign country he or she instead of also encouraging nd motivating others that are also nursing the same ambition of traveling out will use the opportunity to discourage us by painting a very bad picture of the said country? They'll begin to tell us how lonely nd how tough it is over there. I have an uncle that once told my dad that if he had his way he will never allow any of his children to set their foot in the US but as i'm writing this 4 of his children are schooling there nd he's abt sending the last born there too. Pls what do u think is the reason successful Nigerians do this.

Okay.

Let's just say "why don't you stop listening and taking the supposedly discouraging advice and find your way to fulfilling your jakpa dreams your own way and by yourself".

If you no disturb person to help you with traveling why you go listen or hear the advise wey the person get to tell you.

Do your thing yourself and see things for yourself...

Simple..

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? by Wodu89: 7:07pm On May 21, 2023
Competition and envy

2 Likes

Re: Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? by SyrusdeHansome(m): 7:25pm On May 21, 2023
gaby:

Okay.

Let's just say "why don't you stop listening and taking the supposedly discouraging advice and find your way to fulfilling your jakpa dreams your own way and by yourself".

If you no disturb person to help you with traveling why you go listen or hear the advise wey the person get to tell you.

Do your thing yourself and see things for yourself...

Simple..

If u think i'm the type of person that begs pple then u're wrong. I can't even ask my dad 4 things not to talk of other pple. I have uncles nd cousins in US but av never 4 once asked them for anything. Av never pinned my dream of traveling out on others. The issue i brought here is very common even on this forum.

2 Likes

Re: Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? by Stevenbright(m): 8:52pm On May 21, 2023
SyrusdeHansome:

It is just like a Nigerian dealing in a particular business telling you it is not a profitable niche and that he is just struggling and managing with it as well as planning to quit it.

They do it to discourage others who have interest in it because they either felt it will reduce their chances of success (competition mentality) or to want to be the only one who have that privilege among his circle or to prevent spoilers as they sometimes put it.

4 Likes

Re: Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? by JeffreyJunior: 10:39pm On May 21, 2023
It's because they are stating the reality which is obviously affecting your understanding of obodo oyibo.

Many people in Naija today believe that traveling abroad will solve their financial problems overnight and when those who were once in those shoes and have now seen it all try to correct that notion, they fail to see the big picture and hold on to your own age long conclusions.

This is why a lot of our people are trapped in several countries especially in Europe because they failed to have a closer look of where and most importantly, why they are traveling abroad.

I'm not saying someone may not be intentionally discouraging you from traveling abroad but there is sense in every nonsense, focus on the sense.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? by Nobody: 4:28am On May 22, 2023
SyrusdeHansome:

If u think i'm the type of person that begs pple then u're wrong. I can't even ask my dad 4 things not to talk of other pple. I have uncles nd cousins in US but av never 4 once asked them for anything. Av never pinned my dream of traveling out on others. The issue i brought here is very common even on this forum.

I never discourage enyone from coming abroad. Its a free world but you have to be qualified.
Re: Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? by BigDawsNet: 8:14am On May 22, 2023
SyrusdeHansome:

I think they are just bad belles that doesn't want anyone to travel and succeed like them...

I remember when I was still in Nigeria.. and I was really looking for a way to japa... I called my Uncle that has been in the UK for over 20 years... I told him I wanna come over.. he discourage me and told my dad I should rather start buisness in Nigeria Dan relocating.. he said nothing dey abroad and all his kids are in abroad doing well... him personally his doing very well over dere...

I ignored him and I begin ma process to the US ... with grace of God I arrive in the States... I called him and told him.. uncle I'm now in the US... he couldn't say anything for 10sec...

I just grit ham and hangup..

It's now 2 years we spoke...

2 Likes

Re: Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? by xavuv: 8:21am On May 22, 2023
JeffreyJunior:
It's because they are stating the reality which is obviously affecting your understanding of obodo oyibo.

Many people in Naija today believe that traveling abroad will solve their financial problems overnight and when those who were once in those shoes and have now seen it all try to correct that notion, they fail to see the big picture and hold on to your own age long conclusions.

This is why a lot of our people are trapped in several countries especially in Europe because they failed to have a closer look of where and most importantly, why they are traveling abroad.

I'm not saying someone may not be intentionally discouraging you from traveling abroad but there is sense in every nonsense, focus on the sense.

A-Z, Well said
Re: Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? by SyrusdeHansome(m): 9:09am On May 22, 2023
BigDawsNet:

I think they are just bad belles that doesn't want anyone to travel and succeed like them...

I remember when I was still in Nigeria.. and I was really looking for a way to japa... I called my Uncle that has been in the UK for over 20 years... I told him I wanna come over.. he discourage me and told my dad I should rather start buisness in Nigeria Dan relocating.. he said nothing dey abroad and all his kids are in abroad doing well... him personally his doing very well over dere...

I ignored him and I begin ma process to the US ... with grace of God I arrive in the States... I called him and told him.. uncle I'm now in the US... he couldn't say anything for 10sec...

I just grit ham and hangup..

It's now 2 years we spoke...
This is apt nd nothing but the truth. An average Nigerian wants 2b the only big fish in his family that's why we ain't progressing as a nation.

2 Likes

Re: Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? by BigDawsNet: 9:17am On May 22, 2023
SyrusdeHansome:

This is apt nd nothing but the truth. An average Nigerian wants 2b the only big fish in his family that's why ain't progressing as a nation.

My advice.. if you hav the funds just run your process with involving anyone... call them when you get to ur destination
Re: Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? by SyrusdeHansome(m): 10:21am On May 22, 2023
BigDawsNet:

My advice.. if you hav the funds just run your process with involving anyone... call them when you get to ur destination
That's my plan bro. Thanks 4 the advice.

1 Like

Re: Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? by Mindlog: 10:32am On May 22, 2023
If your intention is to relocate abroad, focus on doing your research. Watch videos of Nigerians and other African migrants who are already there in your intending destination and general videos on the city/town you want to settle in.

For example, before I moved to Cambridge for studies, I had already gotten a good knowledge of what living and moving around Cambridge was like way before I got the admission. I used google street map to virtually walk around the different neighbourhoods in Cambridge. From videos and blogs, I got to know the going house rents in different postcodes and which is nearer to my University.

I went as far as severally watching YouTube videos on train travel from London where I would be landing to Cambridge. Most things were not new to me when I arrived because I had already seen them before arrival.

Don't discard all info given by Nigerians already there, sieve information given as there are some of their lived experience that would help you not to repeat some of their mistakes.

2 Likes

Re: Why do most abroad nd successful Nigerians do this? by jesmond3945: 6:22pm On May 22, 2023
JeffreyJunior:

my dear if e hard for them let them come back. It is hypocricy to discourage people

(1) (Reply)

Xmas Wishes:drop Ur Shout Here! / What Would You Do If You Dad Was Havin An Affair? / School And Family Grapple With Death Of 7-year-old Who Was Struck By A Fire Truc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.