Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,317 members, 7,819,075 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:54 AM

Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion (1353 Views)

Russia Will Not Attack NATO But F-16s Will Be Shot Down In Ukraine, Putin Says / The United States Approves Sending F-16s To Ukraine From Denmark And Netherlands / Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by rottennaija(m): 8:38pm On May 23, 2023
Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine?

— A discussion of some of the most relevant considerations —

It is effectively impossible to base F-16s in Ukraine. The available runways are woefully deficient, and any aircraft remaining at one base for more than a single sortie are going to become a target of Russian strikes, along with the base infrastructure.

The Ukrainian air force has only managed to retain a handful of airframes to this point in time by assiduously hiding them, and constantly moving them around, using improvised airfields much of the time (highways, grass fields, etc.) The sortie rate of the remaining UAF aircraft is so small as to be nearly invisible. Indeed, with few exceptions, if they fly, they die.

But at least Soviet-era jets were designed and constructed to fly out of "guerrilla airfields". F-16s are not. F-16s require pristine runways and intensive maintenance after each sortie — almost 20 hours of maintenance for each hour of flight time!!!

This means highly trained / exceedingly experienced NATO ground crews and fully equipped maintenance hangars would need to be available anywhere the F-16 seeks to fly — along with an abundant supply of spare parts, spare engines, etc.

That simply is not going to happen in Ukraine.

‼️ This means the only plausible basing option will be at NATO facilities in Poland and/or Romania. And anyone attempting to argue against this reality is engaging in pure fantasy.

And, of course, flying F-16s against Russia from bases in Poland and/or Romania is tantamount to a formal declaration of WAR.

But let's assume NATO chooses that option ...

First, we need to consider what the mission of these F-16s will be. Is it to launch with long-range cruise missiles, rise to high altitude, and fire them from distant stand-off range? Because, as I understand it, the F-16 cannot carry, for example, a British Storm Shadow missile. The F-16 is not well-suited for the long-range stand-off role.

Furthermore, an F-16 at altitude over Ukraine is going to be seen by Russian AD assets from hundreds of miles away, and Russian air to air missiles and S-400 SAMs will outrange the F-16s capability to defend itself in almost any scenario.

Additionally, the Russians have clearly demonstrated the capability to routinely shoot down any stand-off munition NATO has launched against them.

I don't see how an F-16 mission to launch long-range stand-off strikes against Russian targets is going to produce any meaningful tactical successes, let along appreciable strategic effects. And I am certain it would only take the Russians a day or two to formulate highly effective ambushes against this tactic. Each subsequent F-16 sortie would then become a one-way kamikaze attack.

As for close-air support (CAS) of ground troops or combat air patrol (CAP) against Russian attack aircraft, there is simply no way the F-16 can accomplish either of those missions without readily available in-air refueling! And that is simply not going to happen over Ukraine. NATO's big, fat, slow tankers will be shot out of the sky at will by the Russians! There is no way of getting around that reality.

Moreover, from the moment the first F-16 commences an attack sortie from a NATO airfield, all NATO ISR assets in the theater will become targets. They will either cease to fly, or cease to exist. And, without them, the F-16 is no longer a useful tool.

Neither F-16s, nor any variety of NATO strike aircraft, are made to function in isolation from the huge logistical infrastructure that supports them. Therefore, the very sentence "Send F-16s to Ukraine" is a logically nonsensical statement.

Simply put, I cannot conceive of ANY way F-16s can be used against Russian forces in Ukraine, even if the latest generation of F-16 Vipers were being flown by experienced NATO pilots.

And, quite frankly, the same limitations would apply to ANY variety of NATO strike aircraft attempting to fly against the Russian military in its own backyard.

If the policy makers of the #EmpireAtAllCosts cult succeed in initiating an air war against Russia in eastern Europe, it will result in catastrophic losses for US/NATO air power and the comprehensive destruction of the myth of US military supremacy.

/end

https://twitter.com/imetatronink/status/1661059852897259521?t=Ck-a8Oso3TO0h2Y_Q9ecjw&s=19

3 Likes

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by rottennaija(m): 8:42pm On May 23, 2023
The sharp increase in the production of T-90 tanks scared the West

Intelligence shows that in the West, the main concern is a sharp increase in the production of T-90M tanks - with a production rate of more than 100 units per month from the assembly line.

At this rate, the T-90 can replace the T-72 and T-80, which formed the backbone of armored formations in the early stages of the SMO.

The fears of the Westerners are due to the vagueness of the prospects for the offensive of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, for which nine armored brigades were formed and trained.

Russian armored vehicles, unlike Ukrainian ones, are not used to break through but are intended for fire support or accurate fire on reconnoitered targets. The RF Armed Forces, by the way, began to apply a new thermal camouflage on the T-90, significantly reducing the detectability at long distances. In particular, the probability of being hit by various anti-tank systems at a distance of more than 1400 m has decreased.

2 Likes

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Adjovi: 10:14pm On May 23, 2023
The f16 will just be useless same as the patriot air defence system.... The fighter jets will be taken down easily by Russias air defence system that's has already been proven to be the best in the world.
. If NATO decides to fly in the fighter jets from nearby NATO member states Poland, then I'm sorry for Poland, they automatically become a target for Russia because they have shown to have joined the war and this will put us closest to dooms day ww3 nuclear annihilation of all NATO members along with Russia..

9 Likes

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by shegzhkn: 10:41pm On May 23, 2023
Lol, Joe biden the nightmare of Vladimir Putin. That lowlife hinges his victory on the knowledge that Ukrainian will not fight back and that the US is kinda divided, he was wrong & now we have created for him another Afghanistan.

2 Likes

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by rottennaija(m): 5:56am On May 24, 2023
F-16 maintenance in 🇺🇦 field conditions is simply out of the question even with the high-paid foreign maintenance contractors. Even in peacetime conditions in NATO F-16 Euro users, only half are in flying conditions at its best.

1 Like

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Tiopii: 3:23pm On May 24, 2023
Adjovi:
The f16 will just be useless same as the patriot air defence system.... The fighter jets will be taken down easily by Russias air defence system that's has already been proven to be the best in the world.
. If NATO decides to fly in the fighter jets from nearby NATO member states Poland, then I'm sorry for Poland, they automatically become a target for Russia because they have shown to have joined the war and this will put us closest to dooms day ww3 nuclear annihilation of all NATO members along with Russia..

Russia won't attack Poland, Poland is NATO😂😂😂😂. Poland has been coordinating the weapons transfer from West/US to Ukraine.

Putin won't use Nuclear weapons in this war, Russia isn't the only country with Nuclear weapons let's hear word abeg.

Poland isn't Ukraine, they are far stronger with better NATO tech, the best Russia can do is ignore. I don't know how Ukraine would use the F16s but that's my concern it's UA problem

4 Likes

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Tiopii: 3:26pm On May 24, 2023
shegzhkn:
Lol, Joe biden the nightmare of Vladimir Putin. That lowlife hinges his victory on the knowledge that Ukrainian will not fight back and that the US is kinda divided, he was wrong & now we have created for him another Afghanistan.

Putin miscalculated, no one expected the war to last this long. after the war we would understand better the extent of the losses and it's consequences. Russia as it is isn't a threat anymore in the global scene.

2 Likes

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Adjovi: 3:27pm On May 24, 2023
Tiopii:

Russia won't attack Poland, Poland is NATO😂😂😂😂. Poland has been coordinating the weapons transfer from West/US to Ukraine.

Putin won't use Nuclear weapons in this war, Russia isn't the only country with Nuclear weapons let's hear word abeg.

Poland isn't Ukraine, they are far stronger with better NATO tech, the best Russia can do is ignore. I don't know how Ukraine would use the F16s but that's my concern it's UA problem

Let the f16 take off from Poland first and start attack from there, you go know how far. Once Poland collect one, all the others go know say Russia no be their mate grin cheesy. Poland won't even dare allow the take off from their place, I believe they are not as stupid as zelensky

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by shegzhkn: 3:31pm On May 24, 2023
Tiopii:

Putin miscalculated, no one expected the war to last this long. after the war we would understand better the extent of the losses and it's consequences. Russia as it is isn't a threat anymore in the global scene.
I've always knew Russia is overated, if not for the nukes (which he might be prepared to use) the US response will not be restrain.

3 Likes

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Tiopii: 3:33pm On May 24, 2023
Adjovi:

Let the f16 take off from Poland first and start attack from there, you go know how far. Once Poland collect one, all the others go know say Russia no be their mate grin cheesy. Poland won't even dare allow the take off from their place, I believe they are not as stupid as zelensky

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂. Leopards, Patriotic AD, Abrams MBTs, HIMARS, Storm missiles all went through Poland before they got to Ukraine, if Russia could do anything they would have.. Even Russia won't want Poland to enter the war with them, as they are still struggling with small Ukraine.

When the coalition provides F16s, Russia would just express displeasure and nothing else.

3 Likes

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Tiopii: 3:36pm On May 24, 2023
shegzhkn:

I've always knew Russia is overated, if not for the nukes (which he might be prepared to use) the US response will not be restrain.

Take out Russia's Nuclear Arsenal, And I'd bet Ukraine/Poland to reach Kremlin with their soldiers.

1 Like

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Adjovi: 3:41pm On May 24, 2023
Tiopii:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂. Leopards, Patriotic AD, Abrams MBTs, HIMARS, Storm missiles all went through Poland before they got to Ukraine, if Russia could do anything they would have.. Even Russia won't want Poland to enter the war with them, as they are still struggling with small Ukraine.

When the coalition provides F16s, Russia would just express displeasure and nothing else.

They were delivered through Poland is different from driving it in from Poland and taking off from Poland. Two different things amigos grin grin grin grin. SEBI they have decided to send the f16 right? Let's see what Poland will do. Till then relax with your guguru and SOSA drink and watch the world's super power Russia deal with the enemy of the world NATO grin grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by shegzhkn: 3:41pm On May 24, 2023
Tiopii:

Take out Russia's Nuclear Arsenal, And I'd bet Ukraine/Poland to reach Kremlin with their soldiers.
Exactly, he is betting on the nukes to give NATO problems and be disruptive.

1 Like

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by rottennaija(m): 3:57pm On May 24, 2023
Tiopii:

Una just dey rate NATO too much.

6 Likes

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Tiopii: 4:00pm On May 24, 2023
Adjovi:

They were delivered through Poland is different from driving it in from Poland and taking off from Poland. Two different things amigos grin grin grin grin. SEBI they have decided to send the f16 right? Let's see what Poland will do. Till then relax with your guguru and SOSA drink and watch the world's super power Russia deal with the enemy of the world NATO grin grin grin

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂. so those military hardware are only a threat when flown but when driven they are not a threat.. so assuming those Tanks that US/West provided could fly Russia would have attacked Poland.

Jokes aside, are you a comedian?

2 Likes

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Tiopii: 4:03pm On May 24, 2023
shegzhkn:

Exactly, he is betting on the nukes to give NATO problems and be disruptive.

The thing is other nations also possess Nuclear weapons. The US/West already warned Putin bout the consequences of using the Nuclear weapons and how would Putin explain to Russian citizens who he tells they are winning in Ukraine that as a result of their "victory" in Ukraine they have decided to use Nuclear weapons there. They have a narrative they are following and going Nuclear would expose them.

Support for the war in Ukraine has dropped drastically

2 Likes

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Adjovi: 4:04pm On May 24, 2023
Tiopii:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂. so those military hardware are only a threat when flown but when driven they are not a threat.. so assuming those Tanks that US/West provided could fly Russia would have attacked Poland.

Jokes aside, are you a comedian?

They were delivered by train into Ukraine by Ukraine's own train Poland is not as stupid as Ukraine grin grin if they were delivered in another way show me the proof grin grin I'll be waiting

3 Likes

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Tiopii: 4:06pm On May 24, 2023
rottennaija:

Putin that's complaining bout NATO, you think he's a fool? why do you think he's trying his best to discourage nations close to Russia from joining NATO.

Putin went to war with Ukraine cos they wanted to join NATO according to him. and you think NATO is overrated 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂.

2 Likes

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Tiopii: 4:08pm On May 24, 2023
Adjovi:

They were delivered by train into Ukraine by Ukraine's own train Poland is not as stupid as Ukraine grin grin if they were delivered in another way show me the proof grin grin I'll be waiting

Driven by Ukraine's train to Ukraine from which country? Russia threatened to attack Poland when Poland started coordinating weapons transfer and till now, no attack. Putin knows his limit
Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Adjovi: 4:13pm On May 24, 2023
Tiopii:

Driven by Ukraine's train to Ukraine from which country? Russia threatened to attack Poland when Poland started coordinating weapons transfer and till now, no attack. Putin knows his limit

SEBI you Sabi use Google. Complete your research by searching for how tanks are delivered to Ukraine. Ignorance is no excuse.

So you think poland is that stupid to allow the tanks move from their territory combat ready? grin grin grin you and zelensky must be brothers wink grin grin...
We shall see how the fighter jets will be delivered. This one I'm looking out for. Let's see how stupid Poland will be or how wise cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by shegzhkn: 4:18pm On May 24, 2023
Tiopii:

The thing is other nations also possess Nuclear weapons. The US/West already warned Putin bout the consequences of using the Nuclear weapons and how would Putin explain to Russian citizens who he tells they are winning in Ukraine that as a result of their "victory" in Ukraine they have decided to use Nuclear weapons there. They have a narrative they are following and going Nuclear would expose them.

Support for the war in Ukraine has dropped drastically
I don't know the level of support Putin enjoys in Russia because you know they control the media and all of that, but if they are reasonable enough they should know the "special military operation" is taking so long for a country he has called "not real" several times, shouldn't they revolt ??
Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Tiopii: 4:22pm On May 24, 2023
Adjovi:

SEBI you Sabi use Google. Complete your research by searching for how tanks are delivered to Ukraine. Ignorance is no excuse.

So you think poland is that stupid to allow the tanks move from their territory combat ready? grin grin grin you and zelensky must be brothers wink grin grin...
We shall see how the fighter jets will be delivered. This one I'm looking out for. Let's see how stupid Poland will be or how wise cheesy grin

You lack cognitive reasoning ability. Are Russian soldiers in Poland or Ukraine? you expect them to start driving the Tanks from Poland to Ukraine?!

The use trains cos it's faster to deliver to the areas they are needed, even
Adjovi:

Adjovi:

You lack cognitive reasoning ability. Are Russian soldiers in Poland or Ukraine? you expect them to start driving the Tanks from Poland to Ukraine?!

They use trains cos it's faster to deliver to the areas they are needed, even Russia use trains and trucks to deliver their weapon systems to where they are needed.

The tanks moved from Poland to Ukraine are combat ready, or you think they would reassemble them in Ukraine or what? There no sense in riding the tanks from Poland when there are faster means to move them. I'm disappointed in your reasoning sha

You have no idea bout modern warfare sha. rest
Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Tiopii: 4:31pm On May 24, 2023
shegzhkn:

I don't know the level of support Putin enjoys in Russia because you know they control the media and all of that, but if they are reasonable enough they should know the "special military operation" is taking so long for a country he has called "not real" several times, shouldn't they revolt ??

They are laws against discrediting the army and even calling the special military operation a war in Russia is an offence, could get jail time or pay big fine

Putin still controls the media, so he tells them what he wants, and the people are subject to the rulers. It hasn't gotten to that stage when revolt would be an option yet but only time would tell..

There is crackdown on protesters in Russia, everyone wants to be safe than sorry
Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by shegzhkn: 4:36pm On May 24, 2023
Tiopii:

They are laws against discrediting the army and even calling the special military operation a war in Russia is an offence, could get jail time or pay big fine

Putin still controls the media, so he tells them what he wants, and the people are subject to the rulers. It hasn't gotten to that stage when revolt would be an option yet but only time would tell..

There is crackdown on protesters in Russia, everyone wants to be safe than sorry
Trust me in very large number that makes Arab spring looks like a tea party putin and his friends will understand that the game is over but I guess they are okay with everything.
Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Tiopii: 6:20pm On May 24, 2023
shegzhkn:

Trust me in very large number that makes Arab spring looks like a tea party putin and his friends will understand that the game is over but I guess they are okay with everything.

Humans can adapt, it has to get to a very critical stage, the West isn't interested in the total collapse of Russia, more like weakening it. No one wants Nuclear arms to spill into the black market, the world would be a more dangerous place. That's Putin's major life line

1 Like

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Appleyard(m): 6:42pm On May 24, 2023
rottennaija:

What do you expect from kids. cool
Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Adjovi: 10:02pm On May 24, 2023
Tiopii:

The use trains cos it's faster to deliver to the areas they are needed, even

They use trains cos it's faster to deliver to the areas they are needed, even Russia use trains and trucks to deliver their weapon systems to where they are needed.

The tanks moved from Poland to Ukraine are combat ready, or you think they would reassemble them in Ukraine or what? There no sense in riding the tanks from Poland when there are faster means to move them. I'm disappointed in your reasoning sha

You have no idea bout modern warfare sha. rest

You're the one who said the tanks move in from Poland . What I said they are transferred from there by ukranian trains . Your the one who lacks the reasoning here because you said the tanks came from Poland like driven tanks from Poland not on train. No try change mouth grin grin grin....the tanks are given to Ukrainian officials in Poland and transferred on Ukraines trains in Poland before being moved in....so please get your facts right grin grin grin grin. How the f16 will be delivered I want to see. If it's by air, no air port is safe, by train is impossible. So let's see how wise or foolish Poland is grin cheesy cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Tiopii: 10:43pm On May 24, 2023
Adjovi:

You're the one who said the tanks move in from Poland . What I said they are transferred from there by ukranian trains . Your the one who lacks the reasoning here because you said the tanks came from Poland like driven tanks from Poland not on train. No try change mouth grin grin grin....the tanks are given to Ukrainian officials in Poland and transferred on Ukraines trains in Poland before being moved in....so please get your facts right grin grin grin grin. How the f16 will be delivered I want to see. If it's by air, no air port is safe, by train is impossible. So let's see how wise or foolish Poland is grin cheesy cheesy

So the trains are not driven? they are flown. Okay boss

1 Like

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by ken6488(m): 12:38am On May 25, 2023
Tiopii:

the day an aircraft is launched from Poland it becomes a target forget NATO
Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by ken6488(m): 12:41am On May 25, 2023
Tiopii:

you overestimate Poland any aircraft attacking Russia from Poland is an act of war Poland will be replied

And what is small about Ukrainie? The millions gets 200m dollars weekly support how many military spend such and you call them small Ukraine really?

3 Likes

Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Kingsnairaland(m): 12:43am On May 25, 2023
A 19-year-old has been charged with five counts, including assault, after allegedly crashing a U-Haul truck into a White House security barrier. The suspect allegedly told authorities he would kill Pres. Biden to seize power. Pierre Thomas reports. https://trib.al/wjmw4ZV

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/driver-white-house-crash-kill-biden-seize-power-nazis-rcna85905
Re: Can F-16s Fly Combat Sorties Over Ukraine? — A Discussion by Tiopii: 6:41am On May 25, 2023
ken6488:
you overestimate Poland any aircraft attacking Russia from Poland is an act of war Poland will be replied

And what is small about Ukrainie? The millions gets 200m dollars weekly support how many military spend such and you call them small Ukraine really?

The Aircraft are been moved from Poland to Ukraine, unlikely they would be used as a base for the Ukraine Air force. I was just telling the other guy that Poland has been coordinating weapons transfer and Russia hasn't attacked Poland and won't attack Poland. The weapons in Poland being transferred to Ukraine are military hardware and legitimate target. if Poland wasn't NATO, Russia would have attacked them. Man thinks NATO is overrated.

Ukraine held their own before they started getting weapons from the west. and until the plans for the counter offensive they were receiving little arms compared to the significant arms they are/would be receiving

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nelson Mandela Is Dead,how True? / Brexit: Scotland, London Want Independence From UK / Breaking News!!! Queen Elizabeth -- Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.