Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:23 AM

Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) (74298 Views)

Palestinian Christians In Gaza Observe Easter Amid Israel's War (Photos) / Saudi Arabia & UAE Leaders Rejects President Biden's Call Over Ukraine / US Shoots Down ICBM In Space From Warship For First Time In Successful Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by WriterNig: 4:24pm On May 26, 2022

NASA astronauts clash with Russian cosmonauts on the International Space Station: 'We are not the bad guys!.

Conflicts arising from Russia's invasion of Ukraine are beginning to spill over onto space, with tensions growing between NASA astronauts and Russian cosmonauts on board the ISS.

A NASA astronaut who recently returned to Earth after a long stay onboard the ISS has suggested that tensions have been growing onboard the research station between Russian cosmonauts and US astronauts. While Russia’s invasion of Ukraine sours relations between NATO countries and the Kremlin, the ISS has largely been free from conflict, with some bizarre exceptions.

NASA and Roscosmos crew members even appeared to be friendly with each other, when last month NASA astronaut Thomas Marshburn handed over the metaphorical (and ceremonial) keys to the ISS to Russian cosmonauts, as they descended back to Earth.

Mr Marshburn said during a webcast: "I think the lasting legacy of the space station is very likely to be international cooperation and a place of peace.

Meanwhile, cosmonaut Oleg Artemyev responded in English saying: "Thank you for the key, and thank you for the friendship."

However, it appears that things weren't always as cordial on the research station, according to astronaut Mark Vande Hei.

Mr Vande hei would disagree with Russians on some topics (Image: Bill Ingalls / NASA via Getty Images)

Mr Vande Hei recently returned from the ISS after spending a record 355 days onboard the orbital outpost and spoke to the Washington Post about his experience.

The astronaut noted that at some point, he would “poke holes” in the cosmonauts’ “logic,” suggesting that spacemen from both countries would sometimes disagree on certain issues.

However, he also admitted that he was forced to acknowledge American culture’s misrepresentation of Russian people, particularly in cinema.

These moments particularly came during the weekly movie night onboard the ISS, where astronauts from both camps would sit together to enjoy movies.

However, Hollywood stereotypes about Russians made the ritual awkward.

Mr Vande Hei said: “I realized at one point that all the bad guys were Russians.

“It kind of gives me chills even thinking about it because at one point, I looked at my cosmonaut crewmates and said, ‘How does that make you feel?’

“And they said, ‘It’s kind of scary when we see that everybody in the United States, the mass media in the United States, is portraying Russians as the bad guys.'”

He added that the crew adapted to these difficulties by adopting a strategy in which “everybody got a turn to pick a movie they’d seen and wanted to share with everybody else.”

Dmitry Rogozin threatened to abandon Mr Vande Hei. (Image: MIKHAIL KLIMENTYEV / Sputnik / AFP via Getty Images)

Astronauts and Cosmonauts may no longer enjoy movie nights together.

The NASA astronaut also noted that the movie nights were on a “previous flight,” which suggests that NASA and Roscosmos space voyagers are no longer watching movies together.

Mr Vande was previously at the centre of US-Russia tensions in space after a Russian official threatened to abandon him in space.

In a terrifying video posted to social media, Dmitry Rogozin, the head of Roscosmos, cast doubt over the astronaut's safety.

However, Roscosmos later backtracked, assuring NASA that they would uphold their promise and let the astronaut leave on board the Russian spacecraft.

From left to right: Russian cosmonaut Anton Shkaplerov, NASA astronaut Mark Vande Hei and Russian cosmonaut Pyotr Dubrov.

Express UK || Eurasian Times

8 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by WriterNig: 4:25pm On May 26, 2022
Like for Russia, share for USA

563 Likes 149 Shares

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by MITCHELL96: 4:25pm On May 26, 2022
Fighting in SPACE ? grin

Where else would they Clash ? Jupiter ? grin

37 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by Earlystar698(m): 4:38pm On May 26, 2022
Well we don't want that cause I'm I'm currently in jupiter, we should be our planet keepers.

21 Likes

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by SadiqBabaSani: 4:39pm On May 26, 2022
World politics

6 Likes

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by richiemcgold: 4:40pm On May 26, 2022
I prefer such fights over there to wars down here.

19 Likes

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by superCleanworks(m): 4:42pm On May 26, 2022
Make dem no go press the button wey all nigeria network go off oh.
Imagine airports, banks, Nigeria stock exchange and all the iPhones without internet. . Na beg i dey beg

171 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by ozo13(m): 4:43pm On May 26, 2022
I tot they were actually throwing punches until i read through everything

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by Seri26: 4:45pm On May 26, 2022
Doing of world powers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by Mrkcee(m): 4:52pm On May 26, 2022
Good!
Let them continue their fight in space; and anyone that mistakenly falls off and lands in Naija go collect wotowoto cool

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by MITCHELL96: 5:25pm On May 26, 2022
superCleanworks:
Make dem no go press the button wey all nigeria network go off oh. Na beg i dey beg

You be Yahoo boy ? grin grin

33 Likes

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by 9gerian: 5:27pm On May 26, 2022
I get you.

richiemcgold:

2 Likes

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by Elvictor: 6:14pm On May 26, 2022
grin grin

USA hates Russia so much that everything Russia is portray as evil in their media, and movies, US create imaginary enemies to make her citizens occupy.

126 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by SEGLIZ: 6:22pm On May 26, 2022
superCleanworks:
Make dem no go press the button wey all nigeria network go off oh. Na beg i dey beg
that facility has little or nothing to do with your network.

8 Likes

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by WriterNig: 6:22pm On May 26, 2022
Elvictor:
grin grin

USA hates Russia so much that everything Russia is portray as evil in their media, and movies, US create imaginary enemies to make her citizens occupy.

So True......

38 Likes

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by seunny4lif(m): 6:24pm On May 26, 2022
grin
Nooo
I thought Nigeria have her own space station grin grin Abi na Satellite in space
Nigeria network no good before and we dey manage am like that

superCleanworks:

4 Likes

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by seunny4lif(m): 6:26pm On May 26, 2022
Elvictor:
grin grin

I swear
It’s so funny that USA still need Russia help to bring back her citizens from Space.
If I’m Russia president, I will tell them to leave the Person there inside Space grin grin, if the person like make he crashed for Aba or Okitipupa

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by Teazer4(m): 6:26pm On May 26, 2022
USA and peace na day and night…..
That country will implode eventually.

Dem carry Vawulence go space, dem carry am go meet the aliens(if they truly exist)

I’m all about the “V”

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by superCleanworks(m): 6:27pm On May 26, 2022
MITCHELL96:

You be Yahoo boy ? grin grin

Na where ur thinking drive you go straight...
So that is all you use network for?
Don't you pay for DSTV?
You do not have an office that needs internet for you and your staff?
You don't book flights online? You no dey travel?
You don't use google maps?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by superCleanworks(m): 6:29pm On May 26, 2022
seunny4lif:
grin
Nooo
I thought Nigeria have her own space station grin grin Abi na Satellite in space
Nigeria network no good before and we dey manage am like that

All those our NIGCOMSAT wey get spyware and backends full body. If that satellite face your fone as downlink na VIRUSES go tear your phone screen

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by seunny4lif(m): 6:31pm On May 26, 2022
grin
Haba
Must you say it loud grin grin
superCleanworks:

All those our NIGCOMSAT wey get spyware and backends full body. If that satellite face your fone as downlink na VIRUSES go tear your phone screen

3 Likes

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by superCleanworks(m): 6:32pm On May 26, 2022
richiemcgold:

Bros you don't know what you are saying. Just one small fist fight up there can send countries 100 years back and send African countries back to stone age.

No think am oh

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by superCleanworks(m): 6:41pm On May 26, 2022
SEGLIZ:
that facility has little or nothing to do with your network.

Oga take small joke.
Na joke.
I know a lot about satellites But don't tell anybody. Shhhh!

8 Likes

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by MITCHELL96: 6:52pm On May 26, 2022
superCleanworks:

Na where ur thinking drive you go straight...
So that is all you use network for?
Don't you pay for DSTV?
You do not have an office that needs internet for you and your staff?
You don't book flights online? You no dey travel?
You don't use google maps?

grin grin cheesy
Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by Balogunodua(m): 7:22pm On May 26, 2022
USA the weaklings... grin

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by Drenimarcus(m): 7:29pm On May 26, 2022
Na Russia i blame, if na me, i go leave their asses in Space and see how they will get back home. Sheybi they are mad, let us all be madder together angry

27 Likes

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by seunny4lif(m): 7:42pm On May 26, 2022
Drenimarcus:
Na Russia i blame, if na me, i go leave their asses in Space and see how they will get back home. Sheybi they are mad, let us all be madder together angry
I swear
That’s what I will do because if it’s other way round, USA will leave the guy in space

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by Drenimarcus(m): 7:44pm On May 26, 2022
seunny4lif:

I swear
That’s what I will do because if it’s other way round, USA will leave the guy in space

I tell you. I love how Russia is partnering with China in Space tech. They will soon remove the US part from their ISS.

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by Betscoreodds: 7:54pm On May 26, 2022
Russia should remove all it equipment from the space station and let it crash.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by Betscoreodds: 7:55pm On May 26, 2022
stop the west's bullies, hypocrisy and double standard to other nation in the world, rest of the world needs russia to counter and balance the west's evil power.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Russian Cosmonauts & U.S Astronauts Fight In Space Over Ukraine War (Photos) by MrSamsung(m): 8:23pm On May 26, 2022
This is not good, these people might just put the whole world in disaray if their fight out there brings about the collapse of the international space station.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Two Lovers Fall Into Pit Toilet While Fighting & Die Instantly (Graphic) / Thousands Of Rare Alien-Like Sea Creatures Worth £50K Wash Up On UK Beach (Pics) / Croatian President Personally Driving The National Football Team (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.