Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? (5448 Views)

APC Has No Chance In Igboland - Mu'azu / Fulani, Kanuri Behind Boko Haram, Says Archbishop / Boko Haram Is NOT A Hausa/Fulani Phenomenon, It Is A Kanuri Thing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 3:54am On Sep 28, 2011
I am seriously interested in knowing. I may be ignorant about this for some parts of Igboland such as Ebonyi and northern Enugu/Anambra,, but as far as I know, there is no easily identifiable northern investment in Igboland.

The cattle business is not invested in Igboland as the animals are moved back and forth depending on time.

Have you seen any house built by a northerner in Igboland where he lives or lets out on rent?

Even the mosques they worship in are either rented (I know one of such) or were built by Igbo govts (I know this for Orji Kalu in Abia at least.
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by umechuma: 4:11am On Sep 28, 2011
At Onitsha,Awka and Nnewi all the Aboki I know are either cow,goat and local chicken sellers or/and the rest are shoe shiners,kola-nut,tom-tom and sweet seller and the last group are able and disable beggars at every major markets and roads.
The don't live in most of the four-story buildings we have in the state but in make shift houses made of wood and zinc with pit toilets.
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 4:25am On Sep 28, 2011
umechuma:

At Onitsha,Awka and Nnewi all the Aboki I know are either cow,goat and local chicken sellers or/and the rest are shoe shiners,kola-nut,tom-tom and sweet seller and the last group are able and disable beggars at every major markets and roads.
The don't live in most of the four-story buildings we have in the state but in make shift houses made of wood and zinc with pit toilets.

Thanks. The above is similar to what I know very well for Abia and Imo. Now should this non-investment by our northern fellow citizens not be a red flag for Igbos investing heavily in the North?
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by karlmax2: 7:22am On Sep 28, 2011
@op don't u think that there COWs GOATs and all other goods mentioned above are INVESTMENTS, u would be surprised to learn how much those cow and goat are worth!!! Am not from the north but I knw for sure that not all are evil but the good ones are in the minority
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by OgidiBoy(m): 7:31am On Sep 28, 2011
In Ogidi and Abatete all the suya joints are owned and operated by the Aboki's.
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by 13volts(m): 8:49am On Sep 28, 2011
why should we invest in the southeast when infact the igbos themselves have reportedly refused to develop their own area. investing in the southeast one must employ all necessary dubious, ritual and illegal means to survive. an average northern business man would not too inclined to go that extra mile just to make profit. however northern business men have invested in the southsouth and edo state just as we have invested in southwest also. by the way can the poster also mention any notable investment by the yorubas in igboland, when in fact yorubas hardy reside in the southsouth or southeast, the Few yorubas you see work in oil companies and ffinancial institutions.

the igbos should look inward for their woes.
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by maclatunji: 9:23am On Sep 28, 2011
Dangote has.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 2:10pm On Sep 28, 2011
13volts:

why should we invest in the southeast when infact the igbos themselves have reportedly refused to develop their own area. investing in the southeast one must employ all necessary dubious, ritual and illegal means to survive. an average northern business man would not too inclined to go that extra mile just to make profit. however northern business men have invested in the southsouth and edo state just as we have invested in southwest also. by the way can the poster also mention any notable investment by the yorubas in igboland, when in fact yorubas hardy reside in the southsouth or southeast, the Few yorubas you see work in oil companies and ffinancial institutions.

the igbos should look inward for their woes.

Yorubas do invest in Igboland. We have shown ample evidence here in the past unless you are as new as 2011 on NL. There are businesses in Igboland that only hausa/fulani/kanuri, etc conduct, with no competition from Igbos: money-changing, suya and cattle trading to mention a few. These people live and make money there going back several years. Why do they not at least build a concrete house where they can live as landlords?

And, can you in your heart of hearts conclude correctly that Igbos are more diabolical in conducting their business practices than Hausa and Yoruba? If you say so how did you arrive at that conclusion?
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 2:15pm On Sep 28, 2011
karl max:

@op don't u think that there COWs GOATs and all other goods mentioned above are INVESTMENTS, u would be surprised to learn how much those cow and goat are worth!!! Am not from the north but I knw for sure that not all are evil but the good ones are in the minority

Cows, goats and sheep may appear as investment but recall that these animals are moved about in an out of Igboland. as is also the case in Yorubaland and other parts where you have better grazing opportunities than the North. They are grazed in the north, south and west. If you tag a specific cow you saw today in Enugu and if that cow survives the butchers knife, you will most likely see that same cow in Benue or Kogi in the next few months. How is that an investment in Igboland? Do you rate a mobile business as an investment in any of the locations such a business passes through?
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 2:19pm On Sep 28, 2011
There are hausa people who have lived in Igboland for 20-40 years; they have made money in their money-changing business and all that (which also I do not consider an investment because it is simply a matter of putting their currencies in their bags and off they go), yet they do not own a single house of their own. Contrast that to a mere Igbo trader in far-flung Jigawa who owns the house where he lives, and that after only a few years.

These fulani engaged in trading in cattle in Okigwe, despite the millions they make, do not own houses in Okigwe. They still live in tents. The gov gave them land to develop their business and its still lying fallow.

What is the agenda? Because I believe it is not for nothing
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 2:30pm On Sep 28, 2011
maclatunji:

Dangote has.

Which company/factory etc?.
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by maclatunji: 2:36pm On Sep 28, 2011
Check, I am too busy at the moment.
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 2:52pm On Sep 28, 2011
maclatunji:

Check, I am too busy at the moment.

If I knew (after checking) I would not open this thread.
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 4:15pm On Sep 28, 2011
maclatunji

And while providing an example, do well to distinguish between a Dangote-owned investment and an Igbo-owned distributorship for Dangote products. They are different. Does Dangote own any factory, retail outlet, bank or transport company physically present in Igboland?
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by aljharem3: 5:08pm On Sep 28, 2011
South-East:

maclatunji

And while providing an example, do well to distinguish between a Dangote-owned investment and an Igbo-owned distributorship for Dangote products. They are different. Does Dangote own any factory, retail outlet, bank or transport company physically present in Igboland?

I pointed out to u just 1 of some of dangote branches in Igboland yet u dismissed it

also danjuma group has

not to forget others like saraki (fulani) etc
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 5:13pm On Sep 28, 2011
alj_harem:

I pointed out to u just 1 of some of dangote branches in Igboland yet u dismissed it

also danjuma group has

not to forget others like saraki (fulani) etc

Please post the link (verifiable evidence) for these claims. Thank you
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by 13volts(m): 5:23pm On Sep 28, 2011
can anyone name one single yoruba investment in igbo land, why una focus attention on hausa people.
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by aljharem3: 5:28pm On Sep 28, 2011
South-East:

Please post  the link (verifiable evidence) for these claims. Thank you

ANAMBRA AREA SALES
C/o Chief M. O. Mbonu
Shop No F, 22/23,
Bakery Material Market,
Ogidi- Onitsha, Anambra State

http://www.dangote-group.com/ourbrands/flour.aspx

Dangote Group Supports Private Sector Development in enugu

AS Nigeria’s coal city, Enugu opened its trade fair complex to hundreds of participants in the 20th edition of the Enugu International Trade Fair last Friday, Dangote Group, one of the biggest indigenous conglomerates in the manufacturing sector at the Fair is poised to support government in realizing its 20-20-20 Vision.
http://businessworldng.com/web/articles/347/1/Dangote-Group-Supports-Private-Sector-Development/Page1.html

others

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/40899/1/More-exhibitors-storm-Enugu-International-Trade-Fair/Page1.html

dangote sugar in ebonyi

etc

u can do more research
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by aljharem3: 5:30pm On Sep 28, 2011
dangote flour in Imo state
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 5:35pm On Sep 28, 2011
ANAMBRA AREA SALES
C/o Chief M. O. Mbonu
Shop No F, 22/23,
Bakery Material Market,

http://www.dangote-group.com/ourbrands/flour.aspx

Hhaha!! I put it to you that this is a publicity stunt. The fact that you have c/o in the address tells you that Chief Mbonu is just adistributor for Dangote product, just like I had envisaged. Look at the other addresses. They state clearly ''Dangote Flour Mills PLC''
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 5:38pm On Sep 28, 2011
Dangote Group Supports Private Sector Development in enugu

AS Nigeria’s coal city, Enugu opened its trade fair complex to hundreds of participants in the 20th edition of the Enugu International Trade Fair last Friday, Dangote Group, one of the biggest indigenous conglomerates in the manufacturing sector at the Fair is poised to support government in realizing its 20-20-20 Vision.
http://businessworldng.com/web/articles/347/1/Dangote-Group-Supports-Private-Sector-Development/Page1.html

others

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/40899/1/More-exhibitors-storm-Enugu-International-Trade-Fair/Page1.html

dangote sugar in ebonyi

etc

u can do more research 

Where are the Dangote investments listed in these links? Like other investors, Dangote group can attend trade fairs and support anything, but do they have investments in Igboland? Those links do not say so. Where are links for Danjuma and Saraki?
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by lagcity(m): 5:40pm On Sep 28, 2011
Well, the kind of businesses that Northerners do doesn't really require massive brick-and-mortar investments. The Hausa/Fulani have figured out what business model and practices work best for them and they are sticking to it. It gives them more flexibilitiy to move around and there's nothing wrong with that. SouthEast should worry about Igbo businesses and leave the Hausas alone.
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 5:42pm On Sep 28, 2011
lagcity:

Well, the kind of businesses that Northerners do doesn't really require massive brick-and-mortar investments. The Hausa/Fulani have figured out what business model and practices work best for them and they are sticking to it. It gives them more flexibilitiy to move around and there's nothing wrong with that. SouthEast should worry about Igbo businesses and leave the Hausas alone.

Does Dangote (again using him as an example) also belong in that group of northern business men you describe?
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 5:44pm On Sep 28, 2011
OFFICE LOCATIONS
1. EASTERN REGIONAL OFFICE
Dangote Flour Mills Plc
Sales & Marketing Department
NPA Port Complex - Calabar
Cross River State
Tel: 08070482241/08033361885
08070482313/080337700164

2. BORNO/YOBE AREA SALES OFFICE
Dangote Flour Mills Plc
A 102, Ramat Shopping Complex
By Leventis - Maduguri,
Borno State
Tel: 08070482314/07038766644
08070482805/08035865009

3. ADAMAWA AREA SALES OFFICE
Dangote Flour Mills Plc
Shop 164, Jimeta Main Market,
Jimeta - Yobe
Adamawa State
Tel: 08070462349/07061822248

4. JOS SALES OFFICE
Dangote Flour Mills Plc
No 12, Beach Road,
Jos,
Plateau State.
Tel: 08070482351/08034575974

5. AKWA - IBOM AREA SALES OFFICE
C/o Rommy Boss,
No 13, Nsasak Street,
Uyo,
Akwa-Ibom State
Tel:Â 08070482308/0807067063

6. ANAMBRA AREA SALES
C/o Chief M. O. Mbonu
Shop No F, 22/23,
Bakery Material Market,
Tel: 08071492557/0803706945

7. RIVERS SALES AREA
C/o Master Bakers Office,
No, 111, Old Refinery Road,
By Stallion Junction
Elelenwo - Port Harcourt
Tel: 080704482242/08036174558

8. ABUJA
2nd Floor Adamawa Plaza
Central Business District,
Abuja
Tel: 08070482387

9. KADUNA
C/o Farida Business Venture
9 Kano Road,
Kaduna
Tel: 08070482389

10. SOKOTO
19, Usman Danfodio Road,
Sokoto

11. ZAMFARA
Kantin Deji Road, Gusau

12. OSOGBO
MDS Area,
Osogbo
Tel: 08070482386

13. MINNA
Behind Central Mosque
Minna
Tel: 0807048225
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by lagcity(m): 5:47pm On Sep 28, 2011
South-East:

Does Dangote (again using him as an example) also belong in that group of northern business men you describe?

No. Dangote doesn't belong there. Also he doesn't have to set up business directly in the east, that's his choice. Dangote is a shrewd businessman and he'll invest in Igboland if he sees profit in it.
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 6:02pm On Sep 28, 2011
lagcity:

No. Dangote doesn't belong there. Also he doesn't have to set up business directly in the east, that's his choice. Dangote is a shrewd businessman and he'll invest in Igboland if he sees profit in it.

There are 16+ million people in the East (if we consider the fake census data) that can buy from any one or more of Dangote's products, can you hazard a guess as to why Dangote will not see profit in the East? For e.g., will he be paying his Igbo employees more than he pays those in Sokoto, Lagos, etc thereby incurring more expenses? Will Igbo youths burn down his business? Is the power situation in the East any worse than elsewhere, so that he has to use generators more? Do Igbo govts tax investors any more than taxes paid in other places? I need ideas. Thanks.
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by aljharem3: 6:08pm On Sep 28, 2011
South-East:

There are 16+ million people in the East (if we consider the fake census data) that can buy from any one or more of Dangote's products, can you hazard a guess as to why Dangote will not see profit in the East? For e.g., will he be paying his Igbo employees more than he pays those in Sokoto, Lagos, etc thereby incurring more expenses? Will Igbo youths burn down his business? Is the power situation in the East any worse than elsewhere, so that he has to use generators more? Do Igbo govts tax investors any more than taxes paid in other places? I need ideas. Thanks.

Dude you make it as if those that he employs in lagos and sokoto are only yorubas and hausas respectively

That is wrong, infact very wrong . one of the head of the company for distrubution in lagos ikoyi is an Igbo man

it is not necessary he invest in Igboland, so long as he does not discriminate again people of igbo origin, then fine
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 6:11pm On Sep 28, 2011
alj_harem:

Dude you make it as if those that he employs in lagos and sokoto are only yorubas and hausas respectively

That is wrong, infact very wrong . one of the head of the company for distrubution in lagos ikoyi is an Igbo man

it is not necessary he invest in Igboland, so long as he does not discriminate again people of igbo origin, then fine

There is a big difference between employing Igbos living outside Igboland and investing in Igboland. It is a matter of commitment, like Igbos have committed their investments all over Nigeria. Do you get it?
BTW, do you see from you own links that Dangote has no clear investment in Igboland? Please get more facts. This is not really just about Dangote. It is about the lack of northern investments in Igboland.
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by lagcity(m): 6:13pm On Sep 28, 2011
South-East:

Remember I said Dangote will invest in Igboland if he sees profit in Investing there. Dangote is already making lots of profit from Igboland without investing there, so maybe that's why he's satisfied and not willing to go further. Igbo middlemen are making money for Dangote by buying dangote products in bulk and distributing in Igboland.

Now, if you for example set up a noodle manufacturing plant in Igboland, Igbo wholesalers will abandon Dangote because they can get products from you in Igboland instead of journeying to the west or north to get supplies. You've grabbed market share from Dangote and the next thing he'll do is quickly set up his own plant in Igboland so that he can compete with you. It is just business.
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 6:16pm On Sep 28, 2011
lagcity:

Remember I said Dangote will invest in Igboland if he sees profit in Investing there. Dangote is already making lots of profit from Igboland without investing there, so maybe that's why he's satisfied and not willing to go further. Igbo middlemen are making money for Dangote by buying dangote products in bulk and distributing in Igboland.

So in essence Dangote has no investment in the East, although he makes money via Igbos who distribute his goods. Thank you.
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by SouthEast1: 6:20pm On Sep 28, 2011
lagcity:

Going beyond Dangote, could you speculate as to why an average hausa living in Igboland does not own a house in Igboland even when they can afford to build one? Yorubas do, that I know.
Re: Do You Know Of Any Hausa/fulani/kanuri Investment In Igboland? by lagcity(m): 6:26pm On Sep 28, 2011
South-East:

Going beyond Dangote, could you speculate as to why an average hausa living in Igboland does not own a house in Igboland even when they can afford to build one? Yorubas do, that I know.

I have no idea. You are going to need Hausa to answer this one.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

One Thousand Naira (N1,000) = $5! / The Chategories Of People Who Don't Want Igbos In SW/NORTHERN NIGERIA...#FACTS. / Nigerian Soldiers In Uniform Drinking Beer (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.