Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,285 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:16 AM

Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions (3424 Views)

Kwara Reduces All State-owned Tertiary Institutions' School Fees / ASUU Vows To Continue Strike / Niger State Polytechnic ASSUP Vows To Continue Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by ASANIGBO(m): 4:40am On Sep 28, 2011
President Goodluck Jonathan has vowed to fix public institutions, adding that strengthening the frameworks was the solution to the long years of rot and corruption that had characterised the Nigerian state.

He assured that his administration would begin the process of restructuring and building institutions that would create the enabling environment for the nation’s diversification from reliance on crude oil in the next 10 years.

Jonathan at a National Lecture: “Nigeria in Transformation”, to mark Nigeria’s 51st Independence Anniversary held at the International Hall of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Abuja, stated that Nigeria, like many developed countries of the world, had the potential to grow and become great, but noted that strong institutional base was needed to drive the process for the desired growth.

He expressed optimism that Nigerians have the capacity to transform the country into a world-class economy, but prescribed the building of strong institutions in all sectors of the economy as the antidotes that Nigeria needed to heal her current socio-economic and political woes.

“A country (Nigeria) where we have good people in athletics, in academics, why can’t we fix our country and that is the kernel. If we have this people, fantastic people all over the world, medical doctors. In America alone, we have about 25,000 medical doctors that are from Nigeria and that is a society where if you treat somebody and something happens, you will be taken to court unlike here that medical doctors can kill people and nobody cares. They don’t employ butchers, they employ doctors. So, for us to have 25,000 medical doctors working there, that means we have the people”, he said.
The President vowed that one of his major priorities for the next four years was to build strong institutions by fixing the existing ones, upon which the government would kick-start the process of the development.

Jonathan said “if we have well managed ports alone, the income we receive as a government from the trading activities alone will be enough but we are still running a deficit budget because there are a lot of leakages, things are not being done properly”.
“If we fix a number of institutions that we must fix, it may be painful but we have to do that. People will complain that politics is being used but must be done by the time these institutions are fixed, I believe in the next 10 years or so, we should be able to run our economy without oil. For the 53 African states, about 20 or so produce oil. We are getting oil everywhere but the quantity may differ. If we continue to rely on oil, of course oil is also a wasting asset, you cannot replace it easily.”

Jonathan declared that he was not unmindful of the politicisation of his action whenever the reforms of such public institution commences, but stated that no amount of politics or political pressure would made him to retrace his steps on the planned reform.
He explained that it is a common experience the world over that no nation can attain and achieve its maximum desires without first building a strong and proper institutional base as a driving force for the process; saying that Nigeria can’t be an exception.
The President who was accompanied to the lecture by Vice President Namadi Sambo, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Senator Pius Anyim Pius, and other cabinet members regretted that over the years Nigeria has not been a able to develop adequate institutional framework upon which to drive the process of economic recovery.

“I used to tell people in my office that ministers don’t need to see me if the system is working well, even if I am sick for six months, ordinary Nigerians will not know the President is sick because the system is supposed to run. Ministers have budgets approved by the National Assembly for them to run their ministries, their recurrent and capital projects, so even if a minister does not see Mr. President for four years, that minister if he is competent can run the ministry in a way that Nigerians will know that we are moving.”
He lamented that, “so many things are not done properly. So almost everything needs the President’s intervention because we want to alter something that has been there before but is not good enough, in that case you need the signature of the President to give you the power, now we are in the process of that transformation, by the time we finish setting up all these structures, surely Nigeria will get to where we are all hoping that we will get to. I have no fear about that.”

Reacting to the Guest Lecturer, Mr Richard’s claim on oil and corruption, Jonathan said, “the problem of oil is true. Not just the oil but any country that is blessed with a mineral, extractive industry generally breed corruption and that is the perception of the people.”
“I am hoping for a Nigeria that will in the next 10 years or there about be able to run our government without oil and we can do it. If you look at the size of Nigeria, all the general import that come into Africa, about 20 percent of them come into this country”, he said.

Jonathan explained that “some goods that are supposed to be cleared through Nigerian whalfs are being cleared through other countries and smuggled into Nigeria, we consume all those goods here but we cannot clear them through our wavers, they have to be cleared through neighbouring countries and they will transfer them though all kinds of means to Nigerians for us to consume.”
According to him, “developed countries are thinking about alternatives. They are developing generators that don’t require hydrocarbon fuel in the next 50 years you do not know what the world would be. People may be driving without oil, so we need to plan a nation that can do without oil.”

He said while he was not against comparison as a measurement function, “the purpose of comparing yourself is to improve and not to go backward. You can not reinvent the wheel, if bicycle has been already discovered, Nigerians doing research to discover bicycle is a waste of time.”

The President said “societies have made it from mistakes and have developed to some level. At this point we should start from where they have reached and move forward. We may not go back and retrace their history. So to us as a people, we must look at what others have done well, forget about the areas they did not do well”.

He maintained that “you have to compare from where you are and I know that as a nation, just like the speaker in his summary has described Nigeria, especially the Lagos situation that if you look at Nigeria everybody expected that the country was going to collapse, that is why there is a lot of prediction about Nigeria collapsing but when we look Nigeria is moving people begin to get worried that why should Nigeria move. A country that everybody expected to collapse and he concluded in saying that Nigeria looks like a heated oven that the heat was so much that it gave out the best”.

He pointed that the problem of Nigeria is not lack of talents but how to use these talents and brains that we have and move this country forward; assuring that “ I promised Nigerians that surely we would move our country forward. We would exploit all that is available and build strong institutions that will support us.”

Jonathan argued that though Nigerians may not care so much about the politics, they can easily brian washed, stressing that “theoretically, you would say that yes people don’t care much but people could be brain wash to the extent that they don’t listen again. People can be so brain washed that they begin to behave in a particular way so no matter what you do the perception will not be changed and that is why people talk about rebranding Nigeria.”

The President expressed worries over Nigeria’s image outside the country, stating that “the perception of Nigeria outside is bad. What am saying is that we Nigerians also owe our country a responsibility to protect our country”

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2011/sept/28/newsbreak-28-09-2011-001.html

Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by Nobody: 4:44am On Sep 28, 2011
So what exactly happened to the 36 airports?

Or he stable electricity?

Or strong security?
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by Princek12(m): 1:42pm On Sep 28, 2011
GEJ appears to have an extreme form of Attention Deficit Disorder; he cannot seem to concentrate and resolve one issue before dabbling in 50 other issues. End result, nothing gets done, and we are back to square one.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by nagoma(m): 1:44pm On Sep 28, 2011
Never mind the vows; just do the work of President Sir.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:53pm On Sep 28, 2011
When you are desperately incompetent, all you have is insane promises, a cowardly approach to solving problems and a state of blissful ignorance of reality. We understand GEJ, we understand. ask @Beaf to play you a pep-song again,probably buy you new shoes to go with the song you dumb-koff! grin
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 28, 2011
After decades of military rule. Nigerians have the "fix instant" mentality. Its not possible to fix a problem instantly, even vulcanizers have processes before a leaked tyre gets fixed. What on earth is this fix quick mentality. GoodLuck is a President and deserve respect and encourage. He is not a soldier, may be you guyz want him to go to Bauchi and arrest Boko Haram, He should go to Power Stations and pump the gas, he should go to Abia State and arrest rapist. May be even needs to come to your home and brush your smelling teeth.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 28, 2011
And one more thing. For those of you who didnt come out that election day to vote and also those of you who stay abroad and watch your country of on News Media, or read internet news. Stop criticizing, Critics dont progress much, neither do they change anything. Ask Nelson Mandela,its only when you stay home in your country and sacrifice yourself and time that you can be able to change things. Dont be a far away campaigner of criticism.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by Fhemmmy: 2:07pm On Sep 28, 2011
Another water into the basket . . . .
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by ideylaff: 2:10pm On Sep 28, 2011
And one more thing. For those of you who didnt come out that election day to vote and also those of you who stay abroad and watch your country of on News Media, or read internet news. Stop criticizing, Critics dont progress much, neither do they change anything. Ask Nelson Mandela,its only when you stay home in your country and sacrifice yourself and time that you can be able to change things. Dont be a far away campaigner of criticism.

If the fella cannot stand the heat in the kitchen, he should take his apron off and get out, na so so so speech we dey see everyday,

1 minute he does not like to be criticised and the next its the peoples fault, or one other bla bla bla. grin

Na president be this or comedy, person,
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by Kx: 2:11pm On Sep 28, 2011
His ministers are promising, he is vowing, none of them are implementing.
Is transformation by speeches or by actions?
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by ideylaff: 2:13pm On Sep 28, 2011
A lot of stinking air coming out of Aso with all their Extra Extra, Super extra special assistants all over the place,

clueless lot,, Tescewwwwwww
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by Ayowumie(m): 2:14pm On Sep 28, 2011
Reading GEJ speeches these days is some thing i dont look forward to cos it is just a repetition of he has said before and what we have always known.
ASANIGBO:

President Goodluck Jonathan has vowed
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2011/sept/28/newsbreak-28-09-2011-001.html
This is not the first time. So, nothing is new.

ASANIGBO:

He expressed optimism that Nigerians have the capacity to transform the country into a world-class economy, but prescribed the building of strong institutions in all sectors of the economy as the antidotes that Nigeria needed to heal her current socio-economic and political woes.
GEJ said some thing related to this during his famous "I didnt have shoes" speech.

ASANIGBO:

He assured that his administration would begin the process of restructuring and building institutions that would create the enabling environment for the nation’s diversification from reliance on crude oil in the next 10 years.
I wonder when this administration would start to "begin the process of restructuring and building institutions that would create the enabling environment for the nation’s diversification, " We have always talked about diversification, when are we actually going to start the process? For instance, OBJ talked about diversifying in 2003 and in 2004, he dedicated billions of naira to Sugar cane plantation in the North West, nobody knows anything about what is to ethanol (what we were told would be the end process of sugar cane plantation)

ASANIGBO:

He expressed [b]optimism [/b]that Nigerians have the capacity to transform the country into a world-class economy, but prescribed the building of strong institutions in all sectors of the economy as the antidotes that Nigeria needed to heal her current socio-economic and political woes.
The only thing a poor man can not afford to loose is hope. Lets continue with our optimism. Atleast, it gives us some hope in the face of our unsavory circumstances. May God help Nigeria and destroy every of our oppressors. May their paths become dark and slippery. May they not see help in time of needs. May they sow where they will not reap. May Heaven bind them with festers of chains and iron. To all these, I say AMEN.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by doctokwus: 2:26pm On Sep 28, 2011
ASANIGBO:

President Goodluck Jonathan has vowed to fix public institutions, adding that strengthening the frameworks was the solution to the long years of rot and corruption that had characterised the Nigerian state.

Jonathan at a National Lecture: “Nigeria in Transformation”, to mark Nigeria’s 51st Independence Anniversary held at the International Hall of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Abuja, stated that Nigeria, like many developed countries of the world, had the potential to grow and become great, but noted that strong institutional base was needed to drive the process for the desired growth.

“A country (Nigeria) where we have good people in athletics, in academics, why can’t we fix our country and that is the kernel. If we have this people, fantastic people all over the world, medical doctors. In America alone, we have about 25,000 medical doctors that are from Nigeria and that is a society where if you treat somebody and something happens, you will be taken to court UNLIKE HERE THAT medical doctors CAN KILL PEOPLE AND NOBODY CARES. They don’t employ BUTCHERS, they employ DOCTORS. So, for us to have 25,000 medical doctors working there, that means we have the people”

Dis is who we get saddled with as a president.
D statement above is d most unthoughtful I ever heard in my life,it pains my heart to know I thot he cud b d change we needscribed the building of strong institutions in all sectors of the economy as the antidotes that Nigeria needed to heal her current socio-economic and political woes.

“A country (Nigeria) where we have good people in athletics, in academics, why can’t we fix our country and that is the kernel. If we have this people, fantastic people all over the world, medical doctors. In America alone, we have about 25,000 medical doctors that are from Nigeria and that is a society where if you treat somebody and something happens, you will be taken to court UNLIKE HERE THAT medical doctors CAN KILL PEOPLE AND NOBODY CARES. They don’t employ BUTCHERS, they employ DOCTORS. So, for us to have 25,000 medical doctors working there, that means we have the people”

[quote][/quote]
Dis is who we get saddled with as a president.
D statement above is d most unthoughtful I ever heard in my life,it pains my heart to know I thot he cud b d change we need
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by obelisk(m): 2:31pm On Sep 28, 2011
this GEJ guy is still tall talkin!!! sad embarassed
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by Jluvu: 2:36pm On Sep 28, 2011
Less talk, Mr president,action!action!!action!!! stop selling info to your distractors.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by totorimi: 2:37pm On Sep 28, 2011
GEJ needs help.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 28, 2011
Obviously I have been over patient, cos the current trend shows that Jonathan hasnt fixed 1 problem since he was sworn in. Poor me.

What do we do as a personal apart from interacting our pains to each other. You and I cant do shit by chatting here. But we can do more, marching with matchets to Aso Rock.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by LogicPower(m): 3:25pm On Sep 28, 2011
JEG: “A country (Nigeria) where we have good people in athletics, in academics, why can’t we fix our country and that is the kernel. If we have this people, fantastic people all over the world, medical doctors. In America alone, we have about 25,000 medical doctors that are from Nigeria and that is a society where if you treat somebody and something happens, you will be taken to court unlike here that medical doctors can kill people and nobody cares. They don’t employ butchers, they employ doctors. So, for us to have 25,000 medical doctors working there, that means we have the people

The more GEJ talks (unscripted) IN ENGLISH, the less he would strike you as a PhD who spent years in the academia.

You do not need to be a linguist to be disappointed by the quality of his expressions in the above excerpt, both in form and content; hardly presidential, and even less intellectual.

I wish I could know how eloquent he is in IJAW!
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 28, 2011
Even the idiots who made this guy president didn't know he would be this crappy. What a beautiful mistake of a president,

Waiting till 2015. Till then,
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 28, 2011
GEJ seems to have learnt well from his PDP mentors ,Babangida and Obasanjo, just keep making more and more promises and Nigerians would be content, even though you have no intention of fulfilling them.

Leaders like Buhari, Fashola, Chime, Akpobia etc do not have time to make speeches about what they intend to do, they just do it and announce make the speeches afterwards.

I pray that GEJ suprises me sha!
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by Gbenge77(m): 3:52pm On Sep 28, 2011
Talk is cheap mr president!
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by kholis(m): 3:57pm On Sep 28, 2011
Our dear president has perfected the mastery of empty promises, assurances and reassurances. He really take Nigerians as fools. It hurts.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by Nobody: 4:56pm On Sep 28, 2011
More promises. I won't hold my breath.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by cinzo: 5:22pm On Sep 28, 2011
The ones he promised during electioneering campaign he has not delivered and he is still here promising!
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by mulumele(m): 6:31pm On Sep 28, 2011
Our president knows how to vow.He has been vowing before his inauguration and the vows will continue until,
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by moderatorr: 7:52pm On Sep 28, 2011
LogicPower:

JEG: “A country (Nigeria) where we have good people in athletics, in academics, why can’t we fix our country and that is the kernel. If we have this people, fantastic people all over the world, medical doctors. In America alone, we have about 25,000 medical doctors that are from Nigeria and that is a society where if you treat somebody and something happens, you will be taken to court unlike here that medical doctors can kill people and nobody cares. They don’t employ butchers, they employ doctors. So, for us to have 25,000 medical doctors working there, that means we have the people

The more GEJ talks (unscripted) IN ENGLISH, the less he would strike you as a PhD who spent years in the academia.

You do not need to be a linguist to be disappointed by the quality of his expressions in the above excerpt, both in form and content; hardly presidential, and even less intellectual.

I wish I could know how eloquent he is in IJAW!
young imbe.cile , what is wrong with the english? 'When i wipe ma shoe hatters go insane' -GEJ to his wife.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by LogicPower(m): 7:57pm On Sep 28, 2011
President JEG; In America alone, we have about 25,000 medical doctors that are from Nigeria and that is a society where if you treat somebody and something happens, you will be taken to court UNLIKE HERE THAT MEDICAL DOCTORS CAN KILL PEOPLE AND NOBODY CARES(emphasis mine)

Can it get any worse? Please tell!

A president of a country publicly telling the world in "a National Lecture: “Nigeria in Transformation” -----held at the INTERNATIONAL HALL OF THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS (emphasis mine)" that in America, they take legal actions against doctors if ANYTHING happens to a patient as a result of a doctor's negligence, but in the very country where is the president and Commander-in-Chief, "MEDICAL DOCTORS CAN KILL PEOPLE AND NOBODY CARES"!

I never expected a president of a country to have lowered himself so badly, publicly, as to be expressing this kind of helpless, hopeless and empty lamentations that we ordinary citizens are reduced to making: 'this and that cannot happen in a developed country'!

I thought a president is beyond this pointless, useless whining.

I thought a president that is so much impressed by the system of a foreign country which ensures prosecution of negligent doctors should be seen (or in this case heard) either actually announcing the necessary steps he has taken taken to ensure things work as well in his country, or at the very least, pledging to take take those steps!

I thought it is ordinary people like you and me, the helpless lot, who are so much profoundly frustrated with our malfunctioning system, yet so severely limited in our ability to change things, who have the right to whine, and whine, and wish and pray that we get a leader who could help bring about the change we we so badly need, whereby negligent doctors could be prosecuted, for instance, as in the US?

I thought you and I are the ones who should be lamenting, as we always do, that in our country "medical doctors can kill people and no[b]body (or any part of the 'body', not even the sick, rotten and empty head of the body) cares"[/b]    

I think more and more people are now becoming convinced that we really have a terribly incompetent person at the helms.

With each passing day, GEJ makes us feel like we badly miss OBJ, who even at much older age, with those military dictatorial tendencies of his, and with no PhD, has proved to be much more coherent, more eloquent, more refined and MUCH MORE INTELLECTUALLY ROBUST!.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by marcus1234: 8:09pm On Sep 28, 2011
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by moderatorr: 8:42pm On Sep 28, 2011
LogicPower:

President JEG; In America alone, we have about 25,000 medical doctors that are from Nigeria and that is a society where if you treat somebody and something happens, you will be taken to court UNLIKE HERE THAT MEDICAL DOCTORS CAN KILL PEOPLE AND NOBODY CARES(emphasis mine)

Can it get any worse? Please tell!

A president of a country publicly telling the world in "a National Lecture: “Nigeria in Transformation” -----held at the INTERNATIONAL HALL OF THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS (emphasis mine)" that in America, they take legal actions against doctors if ANYTHING happens to a patient as a result of a doctor's negligence, but in the very country where is the president and Commander-in-Chief, "MEDICAL DOCTORS CAN KILL PEOPLE AND NOBODY CARES"!

I never expected a president of a country to have lowered himself so badly, publicly, as to be expressing this kind of helpless, hopeless and empty lamentations that we ordinary citizens are reduced to making: 'this and that cannot happen in a developed country'!

I thought a president is beyond this pointless, useless whining.

I thought a president that is so much impressed by the system of a foreign country which ensures prosecution of negligent doctors should be seen (or in this case heard) either actually announcing the necessary steps he has taken taken to ensure things work as well in his country, or at the very least, pledging to take take those steps!

I thought it is ordinary people like you and me, the helpless lot, who are so much profoundly frustrated with our malfunctioning system, yet so severely limited in our ability to change things, who have the right to whine, and whine, and wish and pray that we get a leader who could help bring about the change we we so badly need, whereby negligent doctors could be prosecuted, for instance, as in the US?

I thought you and I are the ones who should be lamenting, as we always do, that in our country "medical doctors can kill people and no[b]body (or any part of the 'body', not even the sick, rotten and empty head of the body) cares"[/b]    

I think more and more people are now becoming convinced that we really have a terribly incompetent person at the helms.

With each passing day, GEJ makes us feel like we badly miss OBJ, who even at much older age, with those military dictatorial tendencies of his, and with no PhD, has proved to be much more coherent, more eloquent, more refined and MUCH MORE INTELLECTUALLY ROBUST!.

Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by LogicPower(m): 9:08pm On Sep 28, 2011
moderatorr:

young imbe.cile , what is wrong with the english? 'When i wipe ma shoe hatters go insane' -GEJ to his wife.

Evaluation of a speech or or text can be done at different levels, based on different criteria,  linguistic and extra-linguistic.

And how well we it is done depends, to a very large extent, on the expertise and experience of is doing it.

So if at your own level you could not find anything wrong with the English, even after knowing all the contexts in which it was delivered, then it simply means we are not operating at same level of linguistic expertise and experience!.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by sebastinta(m): 3:47pm On Sep 29, 2011
musKeeto:

Even the idiots who made this guy president didn't know he would be this crappy. What a beautiful mistake of a president,

Waiting till 2015. Till then,

who knows ur dad or mum might b 1 of those idiots, if u wanna comment do it wiv ur senses, u dnt hav to insult oda pple, it jst makes u sound like a Loser try to force ur comment on pple,
Re: Jonathan Vows To Fix Public Institutions by almahroof: 9:59pm On Sep 30, 2011
Enough of the talks let see action five months is enough to let us know your sense of direction

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Customs Service Form / 2015: Farewell Speech By A Basic 5 Pupils / See What Two Lazy Students Placed On An Ad Website!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.