Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,464 members, 7,819,689 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). (15060 Views)

Nigeria Beat Argentina 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup) / FIFA Under Pressure To Hand Iran's World Cup Place To Ukraine. / Nigeria Vs Ecuador: FIFA Under 17 World Cup (3 - 2) Full Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by Flakky26(f): 11:08am On May 25, 2023
Good Governance is a collective effort. We all know the problems and challenges as a Country. Drop your ideas and suggestions in different areas such as Insecurity, Unemployment, Power, Education etc for the Incoming Government click https://myinputng.webs.com/
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by wirinet(m): 11:14am On May 25, 2023
PNomsule:

Does not necessarily apply to these lads. Except u don do the research come drop proof, it remains unnecessary allegations which I demand you desist from such profanity immediately my friend.

Why not provide proof that these lads are indeed 19. Provide their social media or educational backgrounds and naysayers like me would forever be shamed.

I am not your average Nigerian that condone and support lies and dishonesty.
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by PNomsule: 11:24am On May 25, 2023
wirinet:

Why not provide proof that these lads are indeed 19. Provide their social media or educational backgrounds and naysayers like me would forever be shamed.

I am not your average Nigerian that condone and support lies and dishonesty.

Why shifting the burden of proof?! FYI burden of proof lies upon him who affirms! So do us the needful my friend.
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by Easybet1(m): 11:38am On May 25, 2023
Itohan22:
Up golden eaglets.
is this faith ?
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by slam7000(m): 11:40am On May 25, 2023
sterlingD:

Not just Nairaland even elsewhere there has really been not much publicity about this year's edition of this competition

The less or lack of much publicity might be working in favour of the team. I watched the match and the Flying Eagles played well, defended tenaciously and the link between the midfield and attack was good. They grew into the game and became very confident with possession, they tackled, chased and closed down the Italians. Goalkeeper was very confident and handled the dangerous crosses with ease. The defenders especially Agbalaka performed well, very strong and fearless. There was a hand ball against that would’ve resulted in a penalty kick against Nigeria but VAR showed that the Italian also committed a hand ball before the incident, it was a let off.
I hope they perform well against Brazil in their next match.

For the few idiots calling them over aged, they are always overaged when they win important and strong opponents but they were under 20 or younger than 19 when they lost against Gambia in the African youth qualifying.

I rated Senegal highly but it hasn’t really been going well for them...they lost against Japan and drew against Israel.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by naturalwaves: 11:46am On May 25, 2023
PNomsule:

Sad for you, they've scaled the first huddle into the next round. Tada grin
Sad for me?
This comment was made after they scaled. I am aware we are in the next round. I will let you know when we have been taken to where we belong.
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by sterlingD(m): 11:48am On May 25, 2023
slam7000:

I rated Senegal highly but it hasn’t really been going well for them...they lost against Japan and drew against Israel.
No be only you..l rated very high too.l saw their group like a work over group or better put easy ride to the round of 16 for them.
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by wirinet(m): 11:52am On May 25, 2023
PNomsule:

Why shifting the burden of proof?! FYI burden of proof lies upon him who affirms! So do us the needful my friend.

If you have no proof whatsoever why are you then ready to defend them with your life?
My proof are circumstantial and I will list them for you.
Nigeria is famed for age cheating in FIFA graded competitions, we have been caught and punished several times.

Football age is a well accepted concept among footballers in Nigeria

All the background and history of most of the players if not all is hidden.

The physical features of the players does not support their age claims. As a Nigeria, you and I know the physical appearance of an eighteen year old.

All social media history is hidden. Hardly can you find a Nigeria youth without a social media history.

The whole world knows that Nigeria is "fantastically corrupt", and so the NFA or is it NFF is steeped in corruption.

You on the other hand relies solely on their clams and passport issued by Nigeria immigration, which requires you only bring in a sworn affidavit to verify your age.
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by Ken4Christ: 12:21pm On May 25, 2023
naptu2:
Highlights (copy the link and paste it in your browser).
https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/watch/LPTcq0oEFzyjPwF1yNLfw?cid=(p_go-box)(c_fifaplus)(sc_fu20wc)(ssc_highlights)(l_)(ch_)(cc_2min)&pid=(p_go-box)

Line up

Just watched it. Good goals. Please, link to watch other matches live.
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by simplyOJ(m): 12:29pm On May 25, 2023
isabi2lof:
Congrats but these guys are +40 grin
We always never see anything good in our country. The chant before the match was how the junior Azurries will beat Nigeria black & blue, the boys came out with victory, the chant have now turned to age cheat.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by isabi2lof: 12:32pm On May 25, 2023
simplyOJ:

We always never see anything good in our country. The chant before the match was how the junior Azurries will beat Nigeria black & blue, the boys came out with victory, the chant have now turned to age cheat.
. When you guys stop age shaming women for their achievements , that's when everyone will stop.
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by LZAA: 12:49pm On May 25, 2023
Sucre6:

If MIR certified their age to be under 20, then your opinion about their age isnt needed here
First of it's MRI
Second your wrist bone fuses when you are in your teens ie if you are 20 years old already it's already fused
And u20 has a age limit of...20 years
There are some youngsters there but old men are there too
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by LZAA: 12:51pm On May 25, 2023
simplyOJ:

Err nobody who watches serie A would have said that
Most of those Italians have played uefa youth league matches and some have made serie A appearances
There are old men in that Nigerian team
QED
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by Samunique(m): 1:06pm On May 25, 2023
Felix6:
But these guys different from every nigeria set of footballers I have seen. I do sometimes mistake them for another country.
How ?
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by diaspoAFRICANS: 1:17pm On May 25, 2023
ManWater:

Of course there is. Would you prefer to play against a team that topped the group or against a 3rd placed team?
Why do you think they don't pair group leaders in R16?

&it was not a shock that we beat Italy. Pre-tournament ratings are not usually a big factor in age-group competition.

You made sence.
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by mojounited(m): 1:29pm On May 25, 2023
Felix6:
But how have they qualified? Or is it three teams to qualify from each group? Italy has 3pts, plays Dominican later that is 6pts. Brazil has 3pts with lots of goals. And we are playing them. Should they get the result, it means 6pts for Nigeria, Italy and Brazil each. Which goal difference will now decide who goes through.
You do have a point. But I think that by virtue of four best losers also advancing from the group stage to knock-out round, Nigeria would have already qualified with six points regardless of the outcome of the remaining games. This is because when you consider results, points and positions of teams in other groups, then our six points will be more than enough to guarantee our qualification to the next stage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by MrBONE2(m): 1:32pm On May 25, 2023
grin
Samunique:
Congrats to the guys !

It's just a pity that Nigerian national teams matches are no more worthy of Seun's nairaland front pages.

Can you believe that Nigeria has played two matches in the FIFA second best competition, Seun and his mods have not found it worthy enough to put the matches on the FP.

Nairaland is gone !!! undecided
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by Sucre6: 2:45pm On May 25, 2023
LZAA:

First of it's MRI
Second your wrist bone fuses when you are in your teens ie if you are 20 years old already it's already fused
And u20 has a age limit of...20 years
There are some youngsters there but old men are there too

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by naptu2: 3:07pm On May 25, 2023
The ridiculous story that players in Nigerian junior teams vanish after the competitions while players from other junior teams flourish is just absolute crock and it is not backed by facts.

Some players from junior teams will flourish after the competition and some will vanish. It's the way it has always been for all teams. It's not peculiar to Nigeria.

It's just one of those stories that Nigerians like to tell and repeat, even though it's not backed by facts.

There are very many Nigerian players that took part in junior competitions and went on to achieve great success at both club level and senior national team level for a long time after those competitions, just as there are many foreign players that achieved great success at cadet level and fizzled out afterwards. These are caused by a variety of factors and it happens everywhere.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by chinchum(m): 3:13pm On May 25, 2023
How did we guarantee qualification?

What if we lose to Brazil and Italy beat Dominican republic which is quite likely.

Nigeria, Brazil and Italy will all be on 6 points. Is there a best loser in this tourney? NFF should do their homework and ensure the boys dont relax if there is no best loser o.
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by naptu2: 3:15pm On May 25, 2023
chinchum:
How did we guarantee qualification?

What if we lose to Brazil and Italy beat Dominican republic which is quite likely.

Nigeria, Brazil and Italy will all be on 6 points. Is there a best loser in this tourney? NFF should do their homework and ensure the boys dont relax if there is no best loser o.

Look at the table that I posted on the first page and read what's written beside Brazil.
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by chinchum(m): 3:17pm On May 25, 2023
naptu2:
The ridiculous story that players in Nigerian junior teams vanish after the competitions while players from other junior teams flourish is just absolute crock and it is not backed by facts.

Some players from junior teams will flourish after the competition and some will vanish. It's the way it has always been for all teams. It's not peculiar to Nigeria.

It's just one of those stories that Nigerians like to tell and repeat, even though it's not backed by facts.

There are very many Nigerian players that took part in junior competitions and went on to achieve great success at both club level and senior national team level for a long time after those competitions, just as there are many foreign players that achieved great success at cadet level and fizzled out afterwards. These are caused by a variety of factors and it happens everywhere.
This is apt. Ighalo for example played all age grades for Nigeria, i think Osimhen as well.
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by naptu2: 3:18pm On May 25, 2023
chinchum:
This is apt. Ighalo for example played all age grades for Nigeria, i think Osimhen as well.

naptu2:
FIFA UNDER 17 WORLD CUP

I wrote a post a long time ago and I've just found a Twitter thread that provides another example of what I wrote in that post, but unfortunately I can no longer find my post.

Many Nigerians have weird ideas about the FIFA cadet championships and that post demonstrated how weird those ideas were.

1) Nigerians would often talk about someone that was a star at cadet level (U16 or U17), but who didn't go on to achieve success at senior level and then claim that this is proof that the person was over age. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Lots of people achieve success at cadet level, but fail to achieve the same success at senior level. Do you remember Freddy Adu, who was hailed as the next Pele when he was a teenager (Alex Ferguson spoke glowingly about him and he signed his first professional contract when he was just 14), but didn't achieve anything as a senior professional? Do you remember Florient Sinama Pongolle and Anthony Letallec, who were the stars of the French team that won the 2001 Under 17 World Cup in Trinidad and Tobago, but did not achieve anything great as seniors?

In fact, if we follow that line of thinking, then we might say that only Jonathan Akpoborire and Marcel Witeczek were under 16 in the 1985 final, because they were the only people (on both the German and Nigerian sides) that continued to achieve success more than ten years after the match. We all know that isn't true.

There are a lot of reasons why cadet stars do not achieve success at senior level and they've got nothing to do with age. Some players, who are young and overwhelmed with success, but do not know enough about the football business, sign slave contracts or bad contracts which effectively kill their football careers. Do you remember what almost happened to Christopher Ohenhen at Real Madrid before he escaped? Do you remember what almost happened to Ahmed Garba (Yaro-Yaro) before the NFA took action to block the deal?

There are also some players who become overwhelmed by early success. They think that they have arrived and stop doing what they need to so to continue to succeed.

Some players simply develop too early and burn out early.

2) And that brings me to the other issue. The people that make this argument have a habit of mentioning Nigerian cadet players that were stars at junior level, but didn't achieve success at senior level, without mentioning those that achieved long term success at senior level.

For examples, Jonathan Akpoborire played in the Golden Eaglets team that won the 1985 Under 16 World Cup in China and he was the second highest goal scorer in the 1997/1998 UEFA Cup Winners Cup competition (more than 10 years after the cadet World Cup).

Victor Ikpeba played for Nigeria at the 1989 Under 17 World Cup in Scotland and he was second highest goal scorer in the 1996/1997 UEFA Cup and he also scored lots of important goals in 1997/1998 Champions League (almost ten years after the cadet World Cup).

We all know about the successes of Jay-Jay Okocha (1993 Under 20) and Nwankwo Kanu (1993 Under 17), so I don't need to go into that.

This Twitter thread finds out what happened to members of the England team that won the 2017 Under 17 World Cup.

https://twitter.com/RyanDilks1/status/1600834688507002885

naptu2:
Dear diary, do you remember what I told you a few years ago?

I said that there are some Nigerians that cannot think and instead of thinking, they simply repeat popular sayings from years ago. They see a situation and instead of thinking, they just repeat what they've heard people say years ago. That's the case with the current Golden Eaglets.

I am not referring to the whole age issue. I have dealt with that thoroughly over the past ten years. I am talking about this idea that we never develop players from the Golden Eaglets and that players from the Golden Eaglets never achieve anything with the Super Eagles, they simply fade away after the Under 17 competitions. This is such an obvious lie that you would wonder why people say this, but the answer is simply that they do not think.

Nigeria won the first ever cadet world championships, the 1985 Under 16 World Championships in China and the current coach of the Golden Eaglets, Nduka Ugbade, was the captain of that team. Ugbade went on the play for the Flying Eagles and Super Eagles. He won the 1994 African Nations Cup with the Super Eagles and just missed out on a slot in the 1994 World Cup team. Jonathan Akpoborie, who also played in that 1985 team, was one of the highest goal scorers in the 1998 UEFA Cup Winners Cup and his goals helped Stuttgart to get to the final. He was also in the 1992 and 2000 African Nations Cup squads.

Victor Ikpeba, Nwankwo Kanu, Celestine Babayaro, Wilson Oruma, John Mikel Obi, Ogenyi Onazi, Kenneth Omeruo, Kelechi Iheanacho, Taiwo Awoniyi, Francis Uzoho, Samuel Chukwueze, Victor Osimhen, Kelechi Nwakali, Karibe Ojigwe, Chinedu Obasi Ogbuke, Isaac Promise, Solomon Okoronkwo, James Obiorah and many more have played for the Golden Eaglets and gone on to do great things with the Super Eagles and in European club football, so how can anybody claim that Golden Eaglets players never get promoted to the senior team?

Of course there are players that will do well at cadet level and fail at senior level, but this is the same for every country that takes part in the competition.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by chinchum(m): 3:29pm On May 25, 2023
naptu2:

Look at the table that I posted on the first page and read what's written beside Brazil.
yes, i see that now. I can also confirm there are 24 teams, so there will be 4 best loosers from the 6 groups.
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by godwon01(m): 9:39pm On May 25, 2023
[quote author=DAVIDELUXED post=123352964] shocked. @ OP point of correction nigeria Beat Dominican 2-1 not 2-2

Also these boys don't look young at all.[/quote Other teams look like them too. The Italian guys don't their age too. Stop blaming your team. There is no correct age at this level again. Everybody is using football age now. Enough is enough . Italian can defeat Nigeria as well. It is only they were not lucky.
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by odinga1of: 2:36am On May 26, 2023
Itohan22:
Up golden eaglets.

Werey na flying Eagles grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Nigeria Beat Italy 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup). by Hemaah: 8:19am On Jun 01, 2023
FROM OJOTA TO OGBA #400 FROM #200 now the salary workers will know the full meaning of what is it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Ethiopia Match Will Not Be Shown Live In Nigeria / Amodu: I Almost Turned Down Eagles Job / Francis Uzoho Ruled Out For 6months After Injury During Brazil Friendly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.