Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,095 members, 7,818,283 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Obi Was At Worst A Footnote In That Election; Or At Best, A Convenient Pawn! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obi Was At Worst A Footnote In That Election; Or At Best, A Convenient Pawn! (257 Views)

"Tinubu's Government Is The Worst; A Nightmare!" - Asari Dokubo / See The Moment Peter Obi Was Introduced In Dunamis Church By Dr Becky Eneche / P E N S I O N E R S: A Footnote To Benue State Gov. Dr. Samuel Ortom. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obi Was At Worst A Footnote In That Election; Or At Best, A Convenient Pawn! by Mike1stSon: 9:15am On May 25, 2023
As much as I’d like to hold Obi responsible for the presently manifest outcome of the last election which is still unfolding, the multidimensional and evidential thinker in me simply cannot agree with that conclusion and I think some people are only seeing it in one way.

Two things can sometimes be true and in this case, they are that yes, Obi split the opposition votes and yes, Bola Tinubu rigged the election heavily, especially in the North, and directly against Atiku. The evidence is very strong in the second regard: 11 states were strongly manipulated to give Tinubu a foothold and weaken Atiku. We know what we saw in the North ahead of the election but this outcome plays strongly into the second best option of some Northerners: a Muslim/Muslim presidency, hence the silence. The APC Governors played a strong role also in the manipulations that happened.

The easier pathway to victory for Atiku would have been a United opposition ticket, this is the first dimension and in that regard, Obi in the race, weakened Atiku.

The second dimension can however not be ignored: the North had a stake and the North went all out on that stake but Bola Tinubu by political deals, induced the APC Governors in the North to enforce rigging. Kano for instance did not give Kwankwaso the alleged votes recorded for him by INEC: his candidacy was not strong enough even in the state and his alleged voters are not zombies - Atiku won more votes there than were recorded by INEC. Even in Borno State, Atiku was way ahead.

I know it may look convenient for now to hold Obi responsible and I agree his absence from that contest would have been the easier path to victory for PDP but was there a pathway around the hurdle that he constituted? Yes, there was. And we saw it: in a contest of SE vs SW vs North, there could only be one outcome.

So what happened to that pathway? Tinubu rigged it. Simple.

This then is also part of his gameplay: this “Atiku lost because Obi was in the race” - it’s part of it. Obi did not take one vote from Atiku in the North, even Kwankwaso could not - the North was clear on its direction, and pressure was applied behind the scene. The APC Governors however negotiated their pathway differently with Tinubu and allowed the margins to be closed up by manipulation.

It was to Tinubu’s benefit that Obi should be in play - it served the narrative to cover his rigging efforts. It was to Tinubu’s benefit to appear weak and promote the idea that a Tinubu Presidency could become a Shettima Presidency. Tinubu’s strongest play was however to rig the election and he did. Obi was merely used as a cover pawn to hide the real game plan.

In any case, until all evidence is brought forward and examined at the Presidential Election Petitions Court, I think any analysis now is being done in a vacuum of incomplete knowledge of things that happened in the places of power; an eagerness to disparage Obi’s populist wave and perhaps also to reinforce Tinubu’s genius which at best, was a crude and evil one.

The debt that he now owes for that assumed genius is restricted not only to APC Governors but one in PDP who bankrolled the compromise of the electoral umpire.

This analysis however prompts a question of why some of us backed Atiku despite what we saw as an ethnic contest and the answer is in the man himself and his nationalist disposition. Between a Bola Tinubu of the same ethnicity but likely held hostage by a Northern cabal and an Atiku of Northern roots but nationalist disposition - the choice was a no-brainer.

Obi was at worst a footnote in that election; or at best, a convenient pawn in Tinubu’s gameplay. We’ll have time enough in the future to dissect these things.

Written By Ademola Olarewaju
Re: Obi Was At Worst A Footnote In That Election; Or At Best, A Convenient Pawn! by 001Lagos: 9:16am On May 25, 2023
Peter Obi has become a topic of national discussed. His popularity keep rising even after the election.

1 Like

Re: Obi Was At Worst A Footnote In That Election; Or At Best, A Convenient Pawn! by Mike1stSon: 9:18am On May 25, 2023
001Lagos:
A Yoruba Tinubu supporter wrote this nonsense

Is it hard to read? Not every Yoruba is a Tinubu supporter.
Re: Obi Was At Worst A Footnote In That Election; Or At Best, A Convenient Pawn! by DMerciful(m): 9:40am On May 25, 2023
Obi Obi Obi Obi Obi....everyday.

Una nor dey tire?
Mike1stSon:
As much as I’d like to hold Obi responsible for the presently manifest outcome of the last election which is still unfolding, the multidimensional and evidential thinker in me simply cannot agree with that conclusion and I think some people are only seeing it in one way.

Two things can sometimes be true and in this case, they are that yes, Obi split the opposition votes and yes, Bola Tinubu rigged the election heavily, especially in the North, and directly against Atiku. The evidence is very strong in the second regard: 11 states were strongly manipulated to give Tinubu a foothold and weaken Atiku. We know what we saw in the North ahead of the election but this outcome plays strongly into the second best option of some Northerners: a Muslim/Muslim presidency, hence the silence. The APC Governors played a strong role also in the manipulations that happened.

The easier pathway to victory for Atiku would have been a United opposition ticket, this is the first dimension and in that regard, Obi in the race, weakened Atiku.

The second dimension can however not be ignored: the North had a stake and the North went all out on that stake but Bola Tinubu by political deals, induced the APC Governors in the North to enforce rigging. Kano for instance did not give Kwankwaso the alleged votes recorded for him by INEC: his candidacy was not strong enough even in the state and his alleged voters are not zombies - Atiku won more votes there than were recorded by INEC. Even in Borno State, Atiku was way ahead.

I know it may look convenient for now to hold Obi responsible and I agree his absence from that contest would have been the easier path to victory for PDP but was there a pathway around the hurdle that he constituted? Yes, there was. And we saw it: in a contest of SE vs SW vs North, there could only be one outcome.

So what happened to that pathway? Tinubu rigged it. Simple.

This then is also part of his gameplay: this “Atiku lost because Obi was in the race” - it’s part of it. Obi did not take one vote from Atiku in the North, even Kwankwaso could not - the North was clear on its direction, and pressure was applied behind the scene. The APC Governors however negotiated their pathway differently with Tinubu and allowed the margins to be closed up by manipulation.

It was to Tinubu’s benefit that Obi should be in play - it served the narrative to cover his rigging efforts. It was to Tinubu’s benefit to appear weak and promote the idea that a Tinubu Presidency could become a Shettima Presidency. Tinubu’s strongest play was however to rig the election and he did. Obi was merely used as a cover pawn to hide the real game plan.

In any case, until all evidence is brought forward and examined at the Presidential Election Petitions Court, I think any analysis now is being done in a vacuum of incomplete knowledge of things that happened in the places of power; an eagerness to disparage Obi’s populist wave and perhaps also to reinforce Tinubu’s genius which at best, was a crude and evil one.

The debt that he now owes for that assumed genius is restricted not only to APC Governors but one in PDP who bankrolled the compromise of the electoral umpire.

This analysis however prompts a question of why some of us backed Atiku despite what we saw as an ethnic contest and the answer is in the man himself and his nationalist disposition. Between a Bola Tinubu of the same ethnicity but likely held hostage by a Northern cabal and an Atiku of Northern roots but nationalist disposition - the choice was a no-brainer.

Obi was at worst a footnote in that election; or at best, a convenient pawn in Tinubu’s gameplay. We’ll have time enough in the future to dissect these things.

Written By Ademola Olarewaju
Re: Obi Was At Worst A Footnote In That Election; Or At Best, A Convenient Pawn! by OloyeVIII: 11:06am On May 25, 2023
In summary all these nonesense about Peter Obi in the last few days is : Obi & Tinubu worked together to get power to the South... pls save us the stress of reading rubbish!
Re: Obi Was At Worst A Footnote In That Election; Or At Best, A Convenient Pawn! by JagabanBorgu: 11:21am On May 25, 2023
After reading to the point where the write up says the north wanted Atiku, I stopped reading.
Is there a region that's loyal to APC in Nigeria like the north?
Tinubu rîggéd 11 states against Atiku, so according to ur logic, Tinubu couldn't win even two states.
Iamè anaIyses.

(1) (Reply)

Inauguration Speech By President Bola Ahmed Tinubu / President Tinubu: I Can't Believe My Eyes Lived To See The Day You Became Presid / 10 Major Administrative Duties Of The Secretary Of The Federal Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.