Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,009 members, 7,825,152 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment (3241 Views)

Naira Crisis Suits Must Be Decided Today - Supreme Court / I Smell Something Fishy Ahead Of Today's Supreme Court Judgement In Sokoto. / INEC Releases Statement On The Supreme Court Judgment On Zamfara Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by GeneralPula: 4:55pm On May 26, 2023
Mjshexy:
But all parties are expected to work under the same electoral law, therefore if an electoral malpractice was committed by APC and the party is trying to cover it up but another party presents it before the SC (who is supposed to be unbiased), why is the SC turning deaf ears & blind eyes to the glaring evidences presented before her and behaving as a stooge of APC shocked
Like he said;
You cheat on your husband..
Your husband overlooked it..
Then one of your neighbor stood up to challenge you..
Does it sounds normal to you? What’s his own business between what’s happening in your household?

Learn from reality ma’am..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by Popesuccess(m): 4:57pm On May 26, 2023
inforesource:
After reading through the judgement I came to the conclusion that the Supreme Court actually agreed that the case brought before her was a valid case, however, since the PDP has no locus standi in the case, that is to say they do not have the right to bring up the case to the court since the case is APC's. The case was dismissed.

OK, so for me, the lesson in this case is that, if, assuming, a husband kills his wife and the family of the wife refuses to take the case to court, it means that outsider can not take the case to court to seek justice. Is this the precedence the Supreme Court is setting?

I really need a little schooling here. Maybe I should go back and study the electoral laws.

That is what it means, a party can engage in illegality, so long no one from the party complains or go to court, that illegaliy will stand. It is a very bad precedent.
Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by inforesource: 5:03pm On May 26, 2023
GeneralPula:

Most of them didn’t even know Shettima has no double nominations..

Media propaganda did more harm to these folks ehh..
If it was media propaganda, so what is the duty of a lawyer paid to execute a case?

It means that they are not savvy enough to handle matters like this.
Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by favor914: 5:04pm On May 26, 2023
femisplash:
Using an example of a murder case is taking it too far. Double nomination is like taking two meats from the pot, if none of your family member has no problem about it, what is the business of your next neighbor to come inside your house to accuse you?
Very funny, but a good answer.
Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by GeneralPula: 5:05pm On May 26, 2023
inforesource:

If it was media propaganda, so what is the duty of a lawyer paid to execute a case?
His sole duty is to receive credit alert!

That’s how lawyers do! It’s their time to make money!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by losky83: 5:13pm On May 26, 2023
inforesource:
After reading through the judgement I came to the conclusion that the Supreme Court actually agreed that the case brought before her was a valid case, however, since the PDP has no locus standi in the case, that is to say they do not have the right to bring up the case to the court since the case is APC's. The case was dismissed.

OK, so for me, the lesson in this case is that, if, assuming, a husband kills his wife and the family of the wife refuses to take the case to court, it means that outsider can not take the case to court to seek justice. Is this the precedence the Supreme Court is setting?

I really need a little schooling here. Maybe I should go back and study the electoral laws.

WE LIVE IN A COUNTRY WHERE CRIME HAS TWO(2) LIFELINE WHEN CAUGHT.THE POLICE AND THE JUDICIARY.
Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by seanfer(m): 5:20pm On May 26, 2023
tesppidd:
You mean that time they gave room for meddlesome interlopers?

Can you show me the clause?

Just google Supreme Court judgement on Nwosu’s case
Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by LOVEALAIGBO: 5:26pm On May 26, 2023
femisplash:
Using an example of a murder case is taking it too far. Double nomination is like taking two meats from the pot, if none of your family member has no problem about it, what is the business of your next neighbor to come inside your house to accuse you?

So then we’re now entering the realm of questioning the integrity and trustworthiness of the candidate! Anyone outside his party is well within their rights to insist such a person does not export his intransigence and disdain for the rule of law from his party on to the national stage as Vice President! That’s where the locus comes in!
Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by Kyase(m): 5:28pm On May 26, 2023
GeneralPula:

They knew about it this week

The Supreme Court lamented on that against pdp, pdp was trying to set them up

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by seanfer(m): 5:32pm On May 26, 2023
GeneralPula:

That is the problem with them. If they go through the INEC timetable they will know that before APC send Shettima’s name as the VP candidate, the list for senatorial candidates has been submitted a week before and Borno state have 3 candidates already and he’s name is not there.
I wonder where they see double nomination. LP/Obi include it in their petition.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by seanfer(m): 5:34pm On May 26, 2023
Popesuccess:
That is what it means, a party can engage in illegality, so long no one from the party complains or go to court, that illegaliy will stand. It is a very bad precedent.

Attached is a ruling in favour of PDP January this year on the same matter.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by seanfer(m): 5:35pm On May 26, 2023
inforesource:

It means that they are not savvy enough to handle matters like this.

No lawyer will tell you that your case is bad. They’re out to make money all they will tell you is that you have 50/50 chance. More like gambling.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by inforesource: 6:02pm On May 26, 2023
seanfer:

No lawyer will tell you that your case is bad. They’re out to make money all they will tell you is that you have 50/50 chance. More like gambling.
grin but if na me eh, I go do my findings well well. Hmm, sometimes emotions take over our sense of judgment.

1 Like

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by inforesource: 6:03pm On May 26, 2023
GeneralPula:

His sole duty is to receive credit alert!

That’s how lawyers do! It’s their time to make money!
grin no be small thing oo.

1 Like

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by seanfer(m): 6:44pm On May 26, 2023
inforesource:
grin but if na me eh, I go do my findings well well. Hmm, sometimes emotions take over our sense of judgment.

If you look at those going to court with all this frivolous cases, they’re people who’ve stole government money. Imagine me and you now going to court to start a case like this and we pursue it to the supreme court. It will cost nothing less than 50-70 million Naira just gone down the drain.

2 Likes

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by Popesuccess(m): 11:15pm On May 26, 2023
seanfer:

Attached is a ruling in favour of PDP January this year on the same matter.
True, but it should not be like that, if something is illegal, it should be seen like that. Well i'm just speaking as a layman.
Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by seanfer(m): 1:27am On May 27, 2023
Popesuccess:
True, but it should not be like that, if something is illegal, it should be seen like that. Well i'm just speaking as a layman.

If there is no such law, there will be over 1 million court cases that will be flying u and down.
You know how we Nigerians can be.

1 Like

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by Perfectbeing(m): 2:08am On May 27, 2023
Mjshexy:
But all parties are expected to work under the same electoral law, therefore if an electoral malpractice was committed by APC and the party is trying to cover it up but another party presents it before the SC (who is supposed to be unbiased), why is the SC turning deaf ears & blind eyes to the glaring evidences presented before her and behaving as a stooge of APC shocked
What are the evidence?

1 Like

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by DMerciful(m): 4:42am On May 27, 2023
LP has locus because they instituted it after election making it a post election matter. It is one of the grounds to disqualify a winner in the presidential election petition
seanfer:

The Electoral Act 2022 stipulates that only a party member who participated in the primary can sue the party on how nomination was done.
Your example of husband killing his wife is not same as this section of electoral act, criminal act is different.
As it stands today LP and PDP just lost one of their prayers in their petition about double nomination, reason been that they don’t have locus standi and it is pre-election matter.
Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by sunray(m): 5:49am On May 27, 2023
Popesuccess:

You are part of the busy bodies the court is trying to stop. A layman reads and moves on.

2 Likes

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by seanfer(m): 7:48am On May 27, 2023
DMerciful:
LP has locus because they instituted it after election making it a post election matter. It is one of the grounds to disqualify a winner in the presidential election petition

This is the precedent on that particular prayer at the election petition tribunal.
Also as at the time of the election Shettima was contesting for as VP candidate alone and not as a senatorial candidate. Case close.

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by Popesuccess(m): 7:55am On May 27, 2023
sunray:

You are part of the busy bodies the court is trying to stop. A layman reads and moves on.
I thought we have a stake in Nigeria, or we should stay back and allow the politician to keep going as they please.
Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by babygirljoy: 8:06am On May 27, 2023
Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by Journalistonwhe: 8:17am On May 27, 2023
Can Amaechi bring up this case when the president has been sworn and what are the chances of his victory in Court?
Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by yemex04(m): 8:27am On May 27, 2023
Popesuccess:

Illegality is when something is done against the established Law.. who determines is something has been illegally done? The Courts!
So if the Court concludes that there's was no illegality in the nomination of Shettimma then it is mischievous for anyone to call it illegality.

1 Like

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by justified007: 8:57am On May 27, 2023
Journalistonwhe:
Can Amaechi bring up this case when the president has been sworn and what are the chances of his victory in Court?

I hope you will give him money to pursue the case ? I don't know how hatred for someone you don't have personal dealings with can make you people go to this length. It shows you know Tinubu is the best but you just want his downfall because he's Tinubu.

For your information, Amaechi can institute the case if he still have some millions to lose because that case is already status barred and you can't institute a pre-election case after the completion of the election.

2. The court already ruled that there's no double nomination in Shettima's case because his nomination as a senatorial candidate was duly withdrawn before his nomination as a VP candidate

3. Any further suit on that matter will attract a very heavy fine from the high court up to the Supreme court.

Tinubu's presidency is ordained by God and no amount of scheming can prevent that

1 Like

Re: The Layman Understanding Of Today's Supreme Court Judgment by BRIMBRAM: 9:02am On May 27, 2023
Emekaonline:

You are a STAR and indisputably wise man. What a brilliant and perfect analogy!

Is that all? grin All I know is that Peter Obi will never smell Aso Rock. grin And Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu is Nigeria's next President.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Migrate And Load Units Successfully On Your Prepaid Meter / The Vision 2020 Blueprint: / Steady Electricity Supply In Nigeria Reduces Operational Cost Of Firms, Families

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.