Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,247 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:33 AM

Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections (39066 Views)

Utomi, Aisha Yesufu, Falz, Others Plan Fresh ENDSARS, Anti-subsidy Protests / DSS Had Knowledge Of An Impending Attack On MKO Abiola Stadium - David Hundeyin / Cornflakes For Jihad: The Boko Haram Origin Story By David Hundeyin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by Microwhy: 9:51am On May 31, 2023
LagosFirstSon:
Tinubu first mission was to inflict pain on Nigerians but God will disgrace him
You obviously do not read or understand the topic and the comments before opening your pit.
Subsidy should have been long gone. Buhari is a coward but Tinubu is brave enough to say no more subsidy.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by rajiedreez: 9:55am On May 31, 2023
LagosFirstSon:

But all presidential aspirants in this last election said they'd remove subsidy once elected.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by yaki84: 9:58am On May 31, 2023
cowboyT:

Oga, no be Tinubu remove subsidy, provision was not made for it before buhari left office, no provision for June subsidy by the buhari admin so Tinubu just have to align.
Had to align on his inaugural speech?
Imagine there is a snake in the plane, instead of the pilot to think of how to locate the nearest airport and land,he immediately announced that there is a huge cobra in the plane, and everybody should remain calm...

Tinubu is intelligently sTupid.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by Agadinaagwuofe: 9:58am On May 31, 2023
ezechi242 post=123480851[b:
]jonathan was too weak for a Nigerian leader, he had every aparatus at his disposal to dismantle every nonsense the APC was planning, but no, he wants to be a gentleman in Nigerian politics.[/b]

besides his 6 years tenure was filled with corruption and insecurities, what nigerians never saw before.....i would say GEJ was actually the root cause of where we are now.

At the bolded, this kind of thinking is actually the problem of this country. It has nothing to do with weakness. A leader should be able to listen to the masses and not being autocratic, there are many play behind the scenes you were not privy to but it's convenient to sit back and label him weakness, with too many internal sabotage and a lot of money and influence on the opposition it will only take Jonathan to become a fascist with too many blood in his hands to stand them toe to toe because they were ready to go extreme, now the question is at what price? only God knows what Goodluck meekness and selflessness did to the unity we are enjoying.had it been he refused to yield, it's this same you that will run around how high handedness the Jonathan government became now you're describing it as weakness. Seriously I like the fact people can look at hindsight and remember their mistakes it goes to show how many Nigerians are just political tools with no common sense. It is the same way politicians will be using them tools in the guise of different ulterior motives masked under tribalism and religion and many will keep falling for it. I really wonder how people are going to cope with the hardship the news have caused bearing in mind that the actual removal hasn't come then when it finally implemented it will be from frying pan to fire

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by tinsel: 9:59am On May 31, 2023
leye4u:

These words are devoid of wisdom.....do you know the implications of your statement
What are the implications tell me? Circumstances can make one change his views and opinions on issues? Tell me you have never done one?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by Dafresh: 10:00am On May 31, 2023
deeva2:
Peter Obi will be disgraced at court of appeal and Supreme Court.
You heard it here first!
You can’t win Grace! It’s not by man’s effort.
Study Grace then you understand what I am saying!
Tinubu is a Man of Grace.
You can not defeat Grace!
We're talking about fuel scarcity and you're here calling Peter Obi. We are still at early stage very soon food items the prices will go up that time your eyes, nose, brain go open

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by Demurray: 10:02am On May 31, 2023
GeneralPula:
So it was cuz of the protest Jonathan didn’t remove it?

Una go dey alright..
Thought I was the only one thinking along this line.
GEJ should have shunned.the protest if he truly believe in it then and face the consequences.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by iSense247: 10:07am On May 31, 2023
Pythagoras001:
unfortunately I was also part of that protest. I galvanised my siblings and my mum. my dad was the only person who didn’t buy into it. he kept warning us until he gave up because it was him against many. same thing with buhari election. I have come to realise that having university degree does not necessarily equate with wisdom or been immune from the ability to be deceived or gullible. critical and rational thinking skills are lacking in our school systems. less than one year after buhari first term I realize it was all part of a well designed fraudulent scam to win the 2015 elections.
Critical and rational thinking skills are not the responsibility of schools but a choice by every individual. I was an undergraduate in 2015 and I knew that Buhari would be a disaster. How did I knew? I looked into his past and I knew that a leopard can never change its spots. Those who failed to learn from history are bound to repeat it again and again.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by Vadese1: 10:11am On May 31, 2023
Illiteracy is actually the Nigeria problem. Even after 8 years , you are still talking this nonsense. Am replying to your last statement

ezechi242:
jonathan was too weak for a Nigerian leader, he had every aparatus at his disposal to dismantle every nonsense the APC was planning, but no, he wants to be a gentleman in Nigerian politics.

besides his 6 years tenure was filled with corruption and insecurities, what nigerians never saw before.....i would say GEJ was actually the root cause of where we are now.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by Israel07: 10:19am On May 31, 2023
The thing with people is that they have no fear n respect for their creator.
This is a simple case of manipulating people for selfish interest. If Tinubu is as smart as y'all say he's then he knew it was the right thing but still fought against it for his long term ambition. It's Machiavellianism. He knew what he was doing was actually detrimental to the people he plans to lead some day but did anyways. What 'll you loose if u say the truth as it is for once in ur life??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by Vintiana: 10:23am On May 31, 2023
And I thought subsidy removal was a good thing for Nigeria when Peter obi said he will remove subsidy immediately if elected?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by nairalanda1(m): 10:27am On May 31, 2023
obailala:
The way in which almost everyone now claims they supported subsidy removal in 2012, one begins to wonder who all those people were who protested all over Nigeria in 2012; even Flavour released a song in protest then. But revisionist have somehow convinced us it was APC that organised protests in 2012. When in history have NIgerians ever embraced fuel price increase?

Actually, I did...in 2011/12, when I started listening to the 'government propaganda' and realized how damaging subsidy was to our economy.

Also, not everyone is on Nairaland.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by prigoz(m): 10:32am On May 31, 2023
tinsel:
Does it mean again, one does not change his position on a matter over time? All these past references are annoying.
Statement of a fool, you lie to get power and you got, continue to lie to protect you power. Foolish zombie
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by SMUAG(m): 10:36am On May 31, 2023
ezechi242:
jonathan was too weak for a Nigerian leader, he had every aparatus at his disposal to dismantle every nonsense the APC was planning, but no, he wants to be a gentleman in Nigerian politics.

People like you go definitely mumu forever...
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by nnamdi640: 10:38am On May 31, 2023
Shattuck:
They fooled the masses just for their own personal gains.
They fooled those that wanted to act like fools.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by Rimsd(m): 10:40am On May 31, 2023
LagosFirstSon:

God will not disgrace Tinubu anything, so many Nigerians plus INEC voted and aided him to be president. God can never be mocked.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by obailala(m): 10:42am On May 31, 2023
nairalanda1:

Actually, I did...in 2011/12, when I started listening to the 'government propaganda' and realized how damaging subsidy was to our economy.

Also, not everyone is on Nairaland.
The total percentage of Nigerians who supported the almost 120% inflation in pump price on January 1st 2012 was not up to 0.01% of the population. Perhaps you were among that 0.01% of people who did. But I just find it laughable how almost everyone commenting today now claim they also supported subsidy removal in 2012.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by nairalanda1(m): 10:45am On May 31, 2023
obailala:
The total percentage of Nigerians who supported the almost 120% increase in pump price on January 1st 2012 was not up to 0.01% of the population. Perhaps you were among that 0.01% of people who did. But I just find it laughable how almost everyone commenting today now claim they supported subsidy removal in 2012.

They probably did. Back then you could not say it publicly.Even supporting subsidy removal now gets one labelled an oppressor.

Even me, ever since the early 1990's , I just parroted the same thing our radical elders parroted. Subsidy must stay, and the IMF is evil.

Until I actually sat down in 2011, and read up on subsidy. Have been reading since, and the more I read, the more I am opposed.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by Maga123: 10:45am On May 31, 2023
Some people still think that this country will become better. Nigeria has not finished paying for her sins.the atrocities commited by some hyprocrite in this country kai we never see anything. One thing that give me peace of mind is that for every wrong hypocritic, evil ,choices made we all pertake in the consequences
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by Mopolchi: 10:57am On May 31, 2023
NobleSeed:
cool
He never even start as president una don come out with dis funny caricature. grin
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by bizhop01: 10:58am On May 31, 2023
Agbadocassava:

Tinubu is the only man to fix Nigeria
You bought Tinubu screwdriver

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by THeUNIFIER: 10:59am On May 31, 2023
Exceed15:

My brother. Me I blamed the people who participated o. Someone like me knew from onset they were just hungry to take over power without vision for the country.

Kudos my chief for being ahead of us at the time but If we are being honest, Jonathan despite being miles above Buhari which is only evident now, performed poorly and deserved the criticism at the time. I feel the people who should take all the blame are those still in support of the APC despite their failings

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by DREAMHOMES6970(m): 11:00am On May 31, 2023
inoki247:

The shiit should av gone then I guess Alot of people just followed the crowd den they don't know the meaning of what theyre protesting against..

A society where you've more illiterate than literate expect people been easily brainwashed even the literate act like illiterate....

Imagine this 2023 people can't go online du dere study on each Candidate profile buh waiting for derr Pastor and Alfa to tell them who to vote..

Question is who were behind those protest in Lagos and Abuja in 2012?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by Moromoro(m): 11:02am On May 31, 2023
muhammaduyusufu:
That's politics for you. GEJ was a weak leader, and the opposition even though knew subsidy had to go used it against him.

Now you all know that Tinubu is extremely intelligent. He is the master of the game called Nigerian politics.

His intelligence was also used in splitting PDP into 3 (divide and conquer) just before the elections). Reno once said Tinubu has the face of a slow person, but he is extremely intelligent.
"You people and this your weak leader thing" can't
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by DREAMHOMES6970(m): 11:05am On May 31, 2023
tinsel:
Does it mean again, one does not change his position on a matter over time? All these past references are annoying.

Clap for urself bloody hypocrite. The joke is on you. For a start ur masters should tender a lengthy apology letter for destabilizing Jonathan's government using sponsored protests and bokoharam
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by obailala(m): 11:14am On May 31, 2023
nairalanda1:

They probably did. Back then you could not say it publicly.Even supporting subsidy removal now gets one labelled an oppressor.

Even me, ever since the early 1990's , I just parroted the same thing our radical elders parroted. Subsidy must stay, and the IMF is evil.

Until I actually sat down in 2011, and read up on subsidy. Have been reading since, and the more I read, the more I am opposed.
Who's going to label you an oppressor for explaining the benefits of subsidy removal? We aren't talking of people in government, we talking just ordinary people on the streets. Who's going to label you an oppressor for suppoprting subsidy removal?

If we're to be honest, the undiluted truth is that Nigerians from history have always opposed anything that leads to a fuel price hike. Only time Nigerians didn't seem to oppose subsidy removal was in 2016 when Buhari removed it; by then Nigerians were already worn out with Buhari's excesses so no one bothered to complain.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by nairalanda1(m): 11:20am On May 31, 2023
obailala:
Who's going to label you an oppressor for explaining the benefits of subsidy removal? We aren't talking of people in government, we talking just ordinary people on the streets. Who's going to label you an oppressor for suppoprting subsidy removal?

If we're to be honest, the undiluted truth is that Nigerians from history have always opposed anything that leads to a fuel price hike. Only time Nigerians didn't seem to oppose subsidy removal was in 2016 when Buhari removed it; by then Nigerians were already worn out with Buhari's excesses so no one bothered to complain.

I've been on Nairaland for a while. Supporting subsidy removal gets you abuse. Explaining it gets you abuse. I can't even say i support it and haven't been able to since 2011.

It gets tiring at times.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by Shattuck(m): 11:22am On May 31, 2023
nairalanda1:

LOL....you guys should stop all this 'They fooled the masses' schitck.

Fuel subsidy has been there since 1973. That means even people like Abacha....yes, the Abacha who feared no protest, or no man, and was a harsh dictator, did not remove it....because they knew that it would mean the end of themselves being in power.

Ditto GEJ.

The sad thing is, we are now paying for past Nigerian leaders, starting from Gowon who started the nonsense, failing to remove subsidy. All they did was partially remove subsidy, but to remove the whole thing, dem no gree.

Now Tinubu has to remove it.....or else we would run out of money totally. And then the IMF will come in and take over, along with the Chinese.
even though Jonathan administration has passed, yes I agree that subsidy had to be removed, but then the apc and tinubu used the whole crisis to for political gains, that is the main course because the masses protested genuinely, which others just wanted access to power.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by obailala(m): 11:24am On May 31, 2023
nairalanda1:

I've been on Nairaland for a while. Supporting subsidy removal gets you abuse. Explaining it gets you abuse. I can't even say i support it and haven't been able to since 2011.

It gets tiring at times.
I'm not necessaril referring to you; I believe you when you say you supported it. But my point is that 99% of those claiming they supported subsidy removal in 2012 and claiming that it was 'APC' that fought it are just bloody liars!

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by Occurstaem(m): 12:05pm On May 31, 2023
Vinnie2000:

No need for all these Regrets.

The Truth is that the Northern Cabal/Power brokers and some SW Elements
will NEVER be comfortable with a Southern Christian President. embarassed sad

They will Frustrate, Bully and try to Remote control him.😒

Remember how Goodluck Jonathan was almost Sidelined and Stopped from becoming President in May 2010.😔

The Agenda of APC and the Powerful Northern Elements in Nigeria
is for every President to Either be a NORTHERNER or a YORUBA MUSLIM. undecided
South West and Yoruba supported Goodluck Jonathan and was at the forefront for him to become the acting president then in 2010 and later in 2011 election which he won.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by NeoWanZaeed(m): 12:08pm On May 31, 2023
Fools believe everything they read online and newspapers.

That's why we are where we are now in Nigeria

Too many illiterates ans too many educated illiterate
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests Of 2014: David Hundeyin Reflections by NeoWanZaeed(m): 12:24pm On May 31, 2023
nairalanda1:

In few sentences please sum up your findings about subsidy and it's removal

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lagos To Prosecute Everyone Who Attended Funke Akindele’s Party / Bandits Kidnap Lt. Col. N.B. Ahmed, Commanding Officer / FG To Merge BVN, Driver’s Licence, National Identity Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.