Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement (69485 Views)

NNPC Confirms IOCs Exit, Insists On Gas Development / EndSARS Protests: Nigerian Army Releases Statement / Alex Badeh's Assassination: Airforce Releases Statement On Death Of Ex Chief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by TsbAfrica: 8:01pm On May 31, 2023
SensualMan1:
Yorubas will buy fuel at N86 while the Igbos will comfortably buy it at N600 for their v8 engines with no complaints.

Keep doing it Jagaban! Dish out ur horses whip on their back. Make them gnash their teeths on a road filled with peril. Soon they won't be able to afford their roadside ewa agoyin. Make them starve to death. Make them thin like skeleton. Make them know u r the Jagaban that u made urself President and not them.
pure hate .... But the funny part is you are the one who has to carry it with you everywhere you go ... I won't be surprised that you live in Lagos ............... The irony
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by maasoap(m): 8:03pm On May 31, 2023
Aguogba:

Make I ask you this. If you go to poultry farm and BUY 1 crate of egg at 1k to SELL AT 1500 and on your way back, you hear that purchase price is now 2k to sell 2500. Do you think that you will make profit even if you sell that one you bought for 2k?

Why would you buy at 2500 naira and sell at 2000 naira

These are simple knowledge that business people possess that even learned people outside the business community don't easily understand. You have to be involved to understand what they know.

This singular example I gave you above is a tip of the iceberg. It is one of the reasons that inexperienced people lose their capital and fold up through bankruptcy. They do not know economic secrets that guide businesses.

That is why Igbos do "NWABOY" or apprenticeship for every branch of business. When you prove yourself worthy, Oga go leak some of these priceless secrets to you. Dem no dey teach am for school.

Coming back to the subject, a petroleum dealer that bought his PMS (petrol) for e.g 170/L cannot make profit even if he sells each litre for 450naira.
The ONLY way he can make profit and remain in business is to sell at his NORMAL margin ON TOP of the current (EX DEPOT) pump price. Unfortunately, this price is not yet fixed by FG /NNPC, PPMC
So, most marketers, as it stands, will prefer to LOCK UP their stations pending official depot price release.

Those that want to GAMBLE can only afford to sell at a margin of e.g 10-15 Naira above NNPC station prices for each state. That's the only way they stay in business irrespective of how much they bought the fuel that they have now. Remember, they will have to buy another consignment after selling what they have.

You don't know your Maths at all. The price you buy determines the price you sell. You bought N170 per litre and sell N450 per litre, you already made your profit. If you go back and buy at N500 per litre, you won't come back and sell at N450/L.
So my friend, why would you say anyone who bought subsidised petrol and selling N500/L now doesn't make profit? Go back to school
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by edoairways: 8:06pm On May 31, 2023
AntiChristian:
There's no way there won't be pain? Forget campaign after election!

Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by maasoap(m): 8:06pm On May 31, 2023
Dbegining:

Transfers were made. Or have you forgotten Abike the Diaspora agency boss that confirmed the one in Ikorodu?
My household and I voted for Tinubu and nobody transferred money to us, likewise many voters that I knew. May be 5k was transferred to you, I can't say.
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Emdebby2: 8:12pm On May 31, 2023
Wahala no dey finish for this country!
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Dohn: 8:27pm On May 31, 2023
Hahahaha mk i lafff first,,, apc supporters ,,,,,, i hope u guys are spared of dis sudden hardship o....... Tnk God say everybody d suffer am togeda,,, ders no seperate mkt for fr apc and oda parties
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Dbegining: 8:33pm On May 31, 2023
Idaytesj29:
He said so many unrealistic Disneyland policies that has no guarantees. No pain, no gain. Obi supporters want to fix the country without sacrifices.
Dey play

Oga, now you're talking about pain.
Nigerians have been in pains for the past 8 years. Will we talk about fuel scarcity that we took from one year to another year (for the first time in the history of this country) or the unfavorable Business policies or the cash scarcity or the increased VAT and other taxes or the high dollar rate.

Tinubu's first policy should be to ease this sufferings not to bring increased shege.
He goofed big time.

Please don't talk about pain near Nigerians again. We have endured so much. Please!
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Dbegining: 8:36pm On May 31, 2023
maasoap:

My household and I voted for Tinubu and nobody transferred money to us, likewise many voters that I knew. May be 5k was transferred to you, I can't say.

That you weren't paid doesn't mean that others weren't. Especially those evidently confirmed in Ikorodu.

And, wait so you voted this disaster and you weren't paid. Omoh, na you loose pass o.

Even some people wey vote Obi still collect APC money. After all na our money.

1 Like

Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by LilleG(m): 8:37pm On May 31, 2023
priceactionx:
so pe otilo
I learnt that this is how many of these fuel cabals operate to cheat the government. Some get access to oil blocks ( but cant refine the crude oils) so they ship it and sell it to their cronies that have a lot of stakes in modular refineries abroad, in which they import it back to nigeria at a subsidized rates being paid by the government. So virtually carrying nigerian crude oil abroad to refine, and sell it far higher than even the supposed money without the subsidy, yet come back, claim subsidies, making monies in multiple ways, claiming they are multi billionaire , forbes this, forbes that. If you look well, they are same people behind all these forex and dollar manipulations.
My fear is that until i see this new government encouraging and commisioning modular refineries after maximum, let's say, 2 years of this price adjustments in each region, and selling crude oil at local price in naira directly , simuteneoulsy, to the operators, things may be getting worse. If i remember, Tinubu said he would waive a lot of taxes for investors that want to be part of oil industry revolutions, so that they get waivers to subsidize the price and improve employments to the citizen if elected, ( cos he himself is an oil expert and know much of the industry) BUT CAN WE Really TRUST POLITICIANS in nigeria? Will they allow him to work?

Do we, nigerians have that patience? DONT WE, as a citizens like cutting corners just look at how filling stations sky rockets their prices overnights over the stock they have at hand? Drop gas price by 10 naira and you will hear them saying they have never seen any official letters. It will take them 2 months to adjust.
Same thing should be aplicable to all other sectors especially agricultural sector, region by region ,which i also believe that shetimma is also an expert in that sector and can handle that. Revolutionise and encourage mechanized farming and let the price of basic food fall and avoidable.
I dont know if it is practicable or possible. i just dont know.
But the masses are not put into consideration
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Gungala: 9:36pm On May 31, 2023
All those responsible for this evil act, yes including all those who for whatever reason supported tinubu may your days be filled with suffering and may your lineage end with you.
Since all you have to offer the world is stupidity and wrong decisions it's best you don't pass it on to future generations
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by grandstar(m): 9:42pm On May 31, 2023
obaidan:
not so much by significantly
There's an element of competition or lack of it In price determination of finished product. I get your point u are largely correct, but this little element of competition will shed as much as 30 naira if not more from this 500 naira....this is something

Many thanks for your response.

I am glad you get the sense of what I am saying.

Nigerians think the price would drop fantastically once the subsidy is removed especially once competition is thriving.

The benefits from local refining and competition will only affect the price a little.

The real benefit from fuel subsidy removal would be the massive investment that would flow into the petroleum industry. Just think of what happened in the telecoms industry now repeating itself in the oil and gas industry? It would be transformative. It would create wealth.

Expect more refineries to be built. The country has barely tapped the potential that awaits it in the downstream sector.

1 Like

Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Spain007(m): 11:14pm On May 31, 2023
maybe it's because you did not vote for APC, those who did in my area are buying 5ltr rubber for #500
just identify yourself by holding a broom.
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Aguogba(m): 11:39pm On May 31, 2023
maasoap:

You don't know your Maths at all. The price you buy determines the price you sell. You bought N170 per litre and sell N450 per litre, you already made your profit. If you go back and buy at N500 per litre, you won't come back and sell at N450/L.
So my friend, why would you say anyone who bought subsidised petrol and selling N500/L now doesn't make profit? Go back to school
Lol. Now i know why a lot of people fail in business.
To make it clear like ABC to you like a JJC that you are.

Assume you got a loan to start petroleum retail. You rented a station everything is in place. You used your capital and bought A SINGLE TANKER of petrol as at May 25th for 175/L ×33,000 (5,775,000) . Normally you would sell for 220/L and make profit of 45/L (profit is 1,485,000 )

Now after 29th May, subsidy is removed. As novice wey u be, u rush sell that product for 450/L. For your "Olodo" mind u don hammer be that. Na to go price land for a new station. 450×33,000 =14,850,000. (profit is 9,075,000 abi)

Then you go to depot to buy ANOTHER SINGLE TANKER of 33,000 litres of petrol and they tell you Depot price is 480/L
480×33,000= 15,840,000.
Now answer me, did you MAKE PROFIT?
undecided undecided undecided
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by obaidan: 11:46pm On May 31, 2023
grandstar:

Many thanks for your response.

I am glad you get the sense of what I am saying.

Nigerians think the price would drop fantastically once the subsidy is removed especially once competition is thriving.

The benefits from local refining and competition will only affect the price a little.

The real benefit from fuel subsidy removal would be the massive investment that would flow into the petroleum industry. Just think of what happened in the telecoms industry now repeating itself in the oil and gas industry? It would be transformative. It would create wealth.

Expect more refineries to be built. The country has barely tapped the potential that awaits it in the downstream sector.
Do you know another reason I think it's going to be difficult for the people to wait as they patiently waited for the transformation in the telecoms sector. For telecoms, we were coming from a place of mobile phone and even landlines being a luxury or something for the rich and upper middle class kind of, so it was easy for the people to look away while the gains materialize. In this case of oil and gas, we are coming from a place where even the poor will be badly affected in all of their doings. From tuition, to cost of any kind of food they eat, to cost of transportation. I still think this government should have started with measures to pacify the people, particularly the poor, even if it's not going to be enough at least something they can hold on to while they wait for the gains to materialize. Something like a massive teacher recruitment, followed by free tuition in secondary and primary schools across the country.
The gains of subsidy removal by a serious govt is massive in the long run but the govt has to be trusted by the people. They are just leaving room for saboteurs to jump on the gnashing of the poor to cause problems. And I don't expect APC to make this same mistake, they understand this gimmick more than anyone else. I hope for the best sha.
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by philipojukwu1: 12:07am On Jun 01, 2023
AntiChristian:
PRESS STATEMENT

ADJUSTMENT IN PUMP PRICE OF PMS

https://twitter.com/nnpclimited/status/1663897300651966466

See the new price list here https://www.nairaland.com/7709977/nnpc-hikes-petrol-prices-across

I won’t course whom the gods have blessed.
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by grandstar(m): 1:05am On Jun 01, 2023
obaidan:

Do you know another reason I think it's going to be difficult for the people to wait as they patiently waited for the transformation in the telecoms sector. For telecoms, we were coming from a place of mobile phone and even landlines being a luxury or something for the rich and upper middle class kind of, so it was easy for the people to look away while the gains materialize. In this case of oil and gas, we are coming from a place where even the poor will be badly affected in all of their doings. From tuition, to cost of any kind of food they eat, to cost of transportation. I still think this government should have started with measures to pacify the people, particularly the poor, even if it's not going to be enough at least something they can hold on to while they wait for the gains to materialize. Something like a massive teacher recruitment, followed by free tuition in secondary and primary schools across the country.
The gains of subsidy removal by a serious govt is massive in the long run but the govt has to be trusted by the people. They are just leaving room for saboteurs to jump on the gnashing of the poor to cause problems. And I don't expect APC to make this same mistake, they understand this gimmick more than anyone else. I hope for the best sha.

What do you think Nigerians are really deriving from the petrol subsidy? It can be summed up in one word and that is POVERTY! Nothing else but poverty.

If the subsidy was removed without even a single palliative measure, fine by me. I even feel government should go further and add a fuel tax. A N50 tax should be levied on very litre sold of fuel sold, whether it be PMS, AGO or kerosene. If this is spent on maintaining all federal roads, fine.

I don't support all these palliatives. They have always been ways to deceive the public. Countries poorer than us are doing okay without the subsidy. It is simply an indulgence the people are used to.

Why do I say it increases poverty? It increases the budget deficit and puts pressure on the Naira. About $10bn will be wasted this full financial year if not reduced. Tomorrow, you'd be complaining the Naira has fallen to $1-1,200. Tomorrow, you'll condemn the government for having nothing in the excess crude account. Bad fiscal policies damage the value of your currency. It is also inflationary and it is the poor who you want to protect the most, who actually suffer the most. While the rich can hedge against inflations by buying assets such as property or change Naira to dollars and hold, the poor cry.

If there are going to be palliative measures, then it is best government implements sound economic policies.

What most people fail to realize is that there are economic policies that cause far more pain than the removal of the petrol subsidy. Poultry would be very cheap and affordable if the importation wasn't banned. The price of rice would also fall if the protectionist walls around it was lifted. Nigeria has no comparative advantage in producing rice. We are better at other kinds of agricultural products such as cocoa and shea butter for instance. Rice too would be quite cheap if there was an import duty on it like 10%

Lifting the ban and replacing them with "lowish" tariffs would not only yield the government massive revenue, but bring down food costs.

Others are to reduce import duty on cars to 20%. This would bring down the cost of cars. There are so many policies that can be done to make life better for all Nigerian especially the poor but fuel subsidy and any type of deceitful palliative should be discarded.

Also, an added benefit of the fuel subsidy removal is with a reduced deficit, lending rates can come down which would encourage investments, which would create jobs for people. Nowadays, government borrowing crowds out the private sector when it comes to bank borrowing.

I also don't understand people. When I moved to Akute in 2020, a bus ride from Berger to Akute was N200. It had risen to N300 last year. This was without an increase in the litre cost of petrol. This was due to the general increase in the price level. Dollar when I moved here was 440. It is now 760.

People are ready to accept price increases in transport cost if it not caused by petrol subsidy removal. So, these price increases that people dread still happen anyway, but in a more malign way as it as no benefits, to either the poor, the government or the economy. Worse, it increases the costs of subsiding petrol, continues adding pressure to the Naira, causing it to drop in value.

The removal is the way to go and investor showed their approval by the stock market going up in value by 5.2%

What is left now is for the official and black market rates to merge. If they can arrive at around 650-680, this would lead to a slight decrease in the price of goods. This will be a start.

FYI: The government actually borrowed $800m from the World Bank. This to to be parcelled out to the poor. They make up part of the palliative measures to help cushion the subsidy removal

Read details below

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/592958-inside-nigerias-800m-world-bank-loan-for-palliative.html

3 Likes

Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Nauttyprof(m): 5:19am On Jun 01, 2023
Pickmycall:
PO would not have made the pronouncement immediately at the inauguration ground without consulting the relevant stakeholders.

Because you know his thoughts and move. I speak from fact. Obi mentioned in an interview that it won't last a day longer and that it will be removed immediately. What does this suggest to you?
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 2:38pm On Jun 01, 2023
NzogbuNzogbu:
I am not tinubu supporter o (I troll any side goofing)

I just hate hypocrisy

Lols....no wahala bro ..love your style then
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Aguogba(m): 7:43pm On Jun 01, 2023
maasoap:

Your response is the shallowest I've gotten in my life.
Wetin you no Sabi pass you. If you need business education, go and do apprenticeship. I won't educate you for free.
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by maasoap(m): 7:25am On Jun 02, 2023
Aguogba:

Lol. Now i know why a lot of people fail in business.
To make it clear like ABC to you like a JJC that you are.

Assume you got a loan to start petroleum retail. You rented a station everything is in place. You used your capital and bought A SINGLE TANKER of petrol as at May 25th for 175/L ×33,000 (5,775,000) . Normally you would sell for 220/L and make profit of 45/L (profit is 1,485,000 )

Now after 29th May, subsidy is removed. As novice wey u be, u rush sell that product for 450/L. For your "Olodo" mind u don hammer be that. Na to go price land for a new station. 450×33,000 =14,850,000. (profit is 9,075,000 abi)

Then you go to depot to buy ANOTHER SINGLE TANKER of 33,000 litres of petrol and they tell you Depot price is 480/L
480×33,000= 15,840,000.
Now answer me, did you MAKE PROFIT?
undecided undecided undecided

Long story. The price you buy determines the price you sell. They're selling subsidised petrol at 500/L.
If you go back and buy 450/L now, you're free to determine what price you will sell to make profit.
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Aguogba(m): 3:35pm On Jun 02, 2023
maasoap:

Long story. The price you buy determines the price you sell. They're selling subsidised petrol at 500/L.
If you go back and buy 450/L now, you're free to determine what price you will sell to make profit.
Did you read the calculations at all? undecided
I am telling you something practical and you are talking about some phantom theories that don't work in real life.
Well to educate further, the only 2 options that the dealer can adopt to make profit out of this scenario is to
1. Sell at the higher price (maybe 450 naira per litre) and quit the business and join another one, e.g building materials
2. Sell at the higher price, put his capital in the bank and hopes the subsidy removal is reversed or that depot price goes way below that selling price (450 naira/L) through competition then he starts same business again. This is the same law that guides stock trading.
Thank me later for these nuggets. grin
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Aguogba(m): 6:07pm On Jun 04, 2023
maasoap:

https://punchng.com/five-things-you-need-to-know-about-fuel-subsidy-removal/
Check out point 1. Business is not all about mathematics.
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by JasonScoolari: 9:19am On Jun 13, 2023
Tonalphs:
At least our refineries should be working before subsidy is removed.
You come from a disorganized home, supporting a disorganized government.

This is how disorganized you were. Alphonso tonye

Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Dybala11(m): 8:05pm On Feb 19
Nahunger:
Well, I pray this government will favour me and my family what ever policies, decision or inactions they take it will be to my favour and not be a disadvantaged to me.
How far na. 🙄
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by surgical: 8:44pm On Feb 19
Pickmycall:
God bless tinubu.
God bless federal government of Nigeria.
God bless all tinubu's supporters.
God bless APC.
God bless Nigeria.
What I posted up there are
SARCASM
Una think say I mean am? tongue

The painful part is how they were able to convince the people that they don't deserve any subsidy and the people are the ones giving the government reasons to purnish them with subsidy removal, while the same government continues to subsidy their ostentatious lifestyle
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Nahunger(m): 8:49pm On Feb 19
Dybala11:

How far na. 🙄

😂😂😂😂
E dey favor me oo...
I no even get voters card na people wey vote I dey pity pass
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Dybala11(m): 8:51pm On Feb 19
Nahunger:

😂😂😂😂 E dey favor me oo... I no even get voters card na people wey vote I dey pity pass
E be like say e dey favour everybody one way or the other right now sef. 😂😂😂😂

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Nahunger(m): 8:59pm On Feb 19
Dybala11:

E be like say e dey favour everybody one way or the other right now sef. 😂😂😂😂

😂😂😂😂
God abeg 🤲
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by Dybala11(m): 9:08pm On Feb 19
Nahunger:

😂😂😂😂
God abeg 🤲
Omo, people dey suffer for Nigeria right now o and the suffering no dey distinguish between Obi, Tinubu or Atiku supporters. That's one fact that some Nigerians are yet to grasp.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by StarRida: 10:05pm On Feb 19
Chai Omo na one chance we enter soooo" God why" this is the end oo
Re: NNPC Confirms Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel, Releases Statement by riches4me(m): 10:12pm On Feb 19
Old tweet

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) / Aisha Buhari: I Cannot Confirm Or Deny Buhari’s Rumoured Marriage, Not My Duty / We Can't Flog Those Who Came To Abba Kyari's Burial - Garba Shehu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.