Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. (33154 Views)

Advice Me, I’m A Graduate, I’m Considering Learning An Handiwork / Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? / Two Mexicans Fired From A Factory And The Rest Decided To Leave With Them. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by seunny4lif(m): 1:35pm On Jun 01, 2023
malcom1X:

2K as in 2000 naira or 2K in euros because it no clear me
Bring that your coconut head grin grin

1 Like

Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by kingsceemark(m): 1:37pm On Jun 01, 2023
Successonpoint:
I hope my story will motivate someone to take charge of their life.
I lost my job last year July, and so a friend of mine introduce me to a poultry farm where I am earning 22k per month.

A man with wife and two kids o, my wife was not happy with the job even though she has been supportive in her own little way. And then, she suggested that I should learn handwork, and so I decided to learn welder.

On getting to the man, he told me I will spend 2 years o, I will pay 70k to learn from him. Me way I no get even 20k, I begged him to collect 50k and he agreed.

Then he asked me to make part payment of 30k. I went home and told my wife, and then she gave me 20k to give to the man. I gave the man 20k and he collected it, to my greatest surprise within 2 months I started doing the welding job perfectly.

On my own, I have paid up the remaining 30k with small small repairs job he allowed me to be doing for people. And by God's grace, I have started saving up for my tools.

I really thank my wife for the advice and the welder too. The man has been a tremendous blessing to me in many way. He even told me yesterday that with the look of things I may be free from him in 2 months time except I decided to still remain with him for a while.

Please take charge of your life and stop depending on people for survival.

My greetings to your lovely wife, she's a wife material, keep it up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Unperturbedpota: 1:40pm On Jun 01, 2023
Successonpoint:
I lost my job last year July, and so a friend of mine introduce me to a poultry farm where I am earning 22k per month.

A man with wife and two kids o, my wife was not happy with the job even though she has been supportive in her own little way. And then, she suggested that I should learn handwork, and so I decided to learn welder.

On getting to the man, he told me I will spend 2 years o, I will pay 70k to learn from him. Me way I no get even 20k, I begged him to collect 50k and he agreed.

Then he asked me to make part payment of 30k. I went home and told my wife, and then she gave me 20k to give to the man. I gave the man 20k and he collected it, to my greatest surprise within 2 months I started doing the welding job perfectly.

On my own, I have paid up the remaining 30k with small small repairs job he allowed me to be doing for people. And by God's grace, I have started saving up for my tools.

I really thank my wife for the advice and the welder too. The man has been a tremendous blessing to me in many way. He even told me yesterday that with the look of things I may be free from him in 2 months time except I decided to still remain with him for a while.

My brother you wrote this thread for me.. I opened a thread seeking for a job . I am very experienced but it's been challenging getting a new job. Especially when one isn't so young and sometimes when I wake up to walk my dogs I ponder learning a skill just as you did.

6 Likes

Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Unperturbedpota: 1:42pm On Jun 01, 2023
TheBillyonaire:
Same here, but my own, I learnt to be a nanny.

Well done my dear
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by durodee(m): 1:44pm On Jun 01, 2023
Successonpoint:

You've done well OP. Kudos for your resilience and to your wife, she is a wife indeed. Far better person she is than some
who have commented.
Some advices:
1) Stay with your boss a while. Learn all he can teach you before leaving
2) Move far from him when you set up and don't go with his customers. Develop your own customer base
3) Keep a close relationship with him and work with him in getting big jobs. Contracts come easy if you have a network
4) Upgrade yourself in two ways. Go academic and a get a technical certificate in welding as a minimum. You can't get some contracts with your expertise alone.
Also go online and learn, learn and learn
5) Determine which area of welding that pickle your interest and develop yourself in it. Aim that your name is the first that comes to people's mind when the think of that aspect
6) When success comes your way, remain fateful to your wife! Otherwise.............

4 Likes

Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Alonso91(m): 1:51pm On Jun 01, 2023
These is exactly what I'm currently doing at 30+ of age....... Decided on my own to learn something,met with one guy like that who is an artist and also a barber....... Have made part payment and learning is going on smoothly cuz d guy understand n considerate......cus really wanna be free from these my 70k a month job...

It's never too late to start something

3 Likes

Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by olamilarks(m): 1:53pm On Jun 01, 2023
Successonpoint:

Boss try enter Yankee and do American welding society certification! I respect your courage!

3 Likes

Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Svoboda(m): 1:54pm On Jun 01, 2023
ajog1:

Pls, in all true, I won't advise anyone with to go into poultry.
Despite how essential their services are( YES!! Shortage of poultry produce can lead to food crises); they are left to be bleeped by the hard market prices.
In other climes- even in West African countries, poultry farmers get serious subsidies due to value of their products in a country; but not here.

Thank you sir.
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Nice2023(m): 2:02pm On Jun 01, 2023
Successonpoint:

Thanks so much for this advice.

Mine own case is that,i have a federal job which I hate,I also have a side income that pays so much but I want to learn spare parts business which I can be importing into the country as I progress in it.

I just wish I can have the courage u have described here.
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by mariahAngel(f): 2:03pm On Jun 01, 2023
Successonpoint:
I really thank God for her. I pray God will help me to be able to take care of her very well.
When things are very hard, her mother advised her to leave me, but she said no.
I wouldn't have known if not that she decided to tell me.

Your wife is a virtuous woman.
You're blessed to have her.
You must've done something right in your past life.
Appreciate her.
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Stevedison(m): 2:05pm On Jun 01, 2023
solmusdesigns:
cool

Just try and get a passport and apply for foriegn visa Sponsored welding jobs, go on jobs indeed and other job portal with a euro style CV

I love this idea.
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by TheBillyonaire: 2:10pm On Jun 01, 2023
plumcomm:
how much for cleaning shit?
I no learn reach that one oh. I just carry the baby when my wife is downstairs, I have carried the baby up to 10 times now.
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Stevedison(m): 2:15pm On Jun 01, 2023
Guyman01:
I have 2 degrees and as I am typing this I am learning solar installation as an apprentice.
I have realised that we need to learn something from the Igbo apprenticeship scheme, those guys have produced real entrepreneurs making good money.

I spent 10 years working for a company and have little to show for it, while people without shops at big markets are building houses just from directing you to buy from a particular shop and they get commission.
I quit my job seeing the trajectory of where the company was heading to become an apprentice whilst applying my knowledge from school and company to make a fast learner.

Because of how I humbled myself to learn from them my colleagues and senior apprentices they were shocked when I told them I was going for Alumni meeting one day of the prestigious university I attended grin

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by fmonigent(m): 2:20pm On Jun 01, 2023
Jennyclay:
Oga welder!

Reason my future man must have more than 4 businesses that are bringing in millions every month. I can’t settle for a welder. It’s not my portion!!!

May God help you struggling men.

I hear you,
Gold digger face your front jare

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Willie2015: 2:24pm On Jun 01, 2023
Successonpoint:

he suggested that I should learn handwork, and so I decided to learn welder.

Welldone..
God will bring helpers...

As u increase your income...

Dont forget to start investing in the following....

Stock Mkt
Real Estate
Mutual Funds
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Etranshub(m): 2:25pm On Jun 01, 2023
Its never too late... You took a bold step that which you will enjoy for the rest of your life... Kudos
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Relixy2k: 2:26pm On Jun 01, 2023
Why can't you yourself start making the millions before settling down with any man if it is so easy since what a man can do, a woman can do better.
Jennyclay:
Oga welder!

Reason my future man must have more than 4 businesses that are bringing in millions every month. I can’t settle for a welder. It’s not my portion!!!

1 Like

Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by MartinsD12(m): 2:27pm On Jun 01, 2023
Successonpoint:

Happy for you , lemme say it again earning salary monthly waiting for month end it's the highest form of financial slavery, having a business or learning handiwork is the best way to financial independence and freedom

1 Like

Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Starhearts: 2:31pm On Jun 01, 2023
Successonpoint:

Am really happy 4 u.

May God continue to be with you

Sir, l will like to give I toke money 4 recharge card?
Sir by Saturday beeps me here on my comment session.
Thanks
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Starhearts: 2:33pm On Jun 01, 2023
solmusdesigns:
cool

Just try and get a passport and apply for foriegn visa Sponsored welding jobs, go on jobs indeed and other job portal with a euro style CV

Tell him d site to login with
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Ijaya123: 2:40pm On Jun 01, 2023
LikeAking:
Renewed suffering! By Tinubus govt, dey cause urgent hardship.

A man lost his job in July last year and you’re here mentioning Tinubu’s name.

It’s like Obid!ots and common sense are in a long distance relationship

3 Likes

Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by virginboy1(m): 2:43pm On Jun 01, 2023
Insightful thread
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Etranshub(m): 2:43pm On Jun 01, 2023
Jennyclay:
Oga welder!

Your portion is obvious!! IGNORANCE

I do metalworks.. Yes welder grin grin
I do not have to explain what i have done with it in life because you lack the capacity to understand grin
Btw i am a graduate of Mechanical Engineering from Unilag and i have never worked for anyone apart from teaching during nysc days.

1 Like

Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Timmi: 2:43pm On Jun 01, 2023
LikeAking:
Renewed suffering! By Tinubus govt, dey cause urgent hardship.

Change your mindset and think like the OP. It’s not your village people that is doing you but rather it’s your lack of motivation and blaming others mentality.

1 Like

Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by tegrianonigltd(m): 2:44pm On Jun 01, 2023
Successonpoint:

Things I like to hear, email me your WhatsApp, so I can assist with what I can to contribute to the tools. Thumbs up man.

2 Likes

Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by vickydevoka(m): 2:48pm On Jun 01, 2023
mployer:
Wrong move.

You have opportunity to learn the poultry business while getting paid on it, but you choose to pay just to learn local welding.

I know some wealthy poultry business owners, I am yet to see a wealthy local welder in Nigeria.
Mumu talk. Na wealthy u de look for.

1 Like

Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by lanshizzy(m): 2:49pm On Jun 01, 2023
Guyman01:
I have 2 degrees and as I am typing this I am learning solar installation as an apprentice.
I have realised that we need to learn something from the Igbo apprenticeship scheme, those guys have produced real entrepreneurs making good money.

I spent 10 years working for a company and have little to show for it, while people without shops at big markets are building houses just from directing you to buy from a particular shop and they get commission.
I quit my job seeing the trajectory of where the company was heading to become an apprentice whilst applying my knowledge from school and company to make a fast learner.

Because of how I humbled myself to learn from them my colleagues and senior apprentices they were shocked when I told them I was going for Alumni meeting one day of the prestigious university I attended grin

Boss man how can I go about the solar installation learning please
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by osazsky(m): 2:50pm On Jun 01, 2023
Starhearts:

Tell him d site to login with
i am intrested
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by mployer(m): 2:51pm On Jun 01, 2023
flexyrule:
You see what your mind wants you to see.

He should sign life contract with poverty?
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by Alexiiydon: 2:52pm On Jun 01, 2023
Jennyclay:
Oga welder!

go settle for your ashana business na continue your Clito business na yahoo boys go use you buy benz last last
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by vickydevoka(m): 2:53pm On Jun 01, 2023
mayorofyentown:
just happy say you meet better oga. me way go learn tailoring na only once the guy show me how to cup cloth 4 a whole 7months
Tailoring is not a good hand work for an adult, just like mechanic, unless you based on ac or mot check with computer. Tailor way if u no sabi work wella na obioma u go turn
Re: How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. by OvertheTop(m): 2:57pm On Jun 01, 2023
LikeAking:

Chai!

grin grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

NBA To Investigate Prof Ndifon, Baddest Lawyer, Adamawa REC, Others. / My Experience With A Random Warri Boy / When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.