Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,402 members, 7,822,844 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA (25502 Views)

Petrol Prices To Fall Over Refineries’ Take Off, Says Cardoso / Reno Omokri Compares Petrol Prices In Ghana And Nigeria / NNPC Hikes Petrol Prices Across Nigeria. List. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by erico2k2(m): 9:45am On Jun 03, 2023
mastermaestro:

Oga the shit keeps growing every year because of inflation. Let the removal be total for once! Enough of cowardly policies. Sitting on the fence does not bring about development. Subsided petroleum products make their way to neighboring countries at the expense of Nigeria. How long should we continue to feed the monster? You guys should stop crying. Subsidy is gone! Say goodbye to it and be at peace with reality. sad
DO you think we can survive on N500/;tre petrol regime?
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by unite4real: 9:46am On Jun 03, 2023
nairalanda1:

You raise a good point, but the problem is....things are not cheap.

Yeah , prices of kero and diesel have gone up, because until 2013, the government spent millions upon billions of naira protecting you from the real price of the things. And in the process we were having scarcity from time to time (am old enough to recall queues for kerosene)

Look, things cost money. Because the people who bring the kerosene to you, all want to be paid...from the refinery worker, shipper, etc...all want to be paid. And it also costs money to repair, maintain, and upgrade refining facilities.

And they wont get paid if we were paying something like N20 for a liter of kerosene.

If you are getting something for cheap...either 1) it was made substandardly or 2) someone somewhere is paying for it. At a heavy cost.

My argument is when I kept hearing that prices will go down after deregulation. But you have buttress the reasons why prices will be looking up.
Crude oil is around $74 right now. By the time the price shoots up, we are in for it
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by nairalanda1(m): 9:46am On Jun 03, 2023
Ade3131:

Which mumu market are you competing with?

Dangote refinery will be the only refinery we have for some time until the other government refineries are fixed imported fuel will cost as much as the price of dollar per liter. You don't expect the importers to sell lesser than they sourced the product.

We have 4 other private refineries (one in Edo which does 150000bpd), plus BUA and then there are 16 licensed operators who haven't gotten off the ground.

Plus NNPC is hard at work repairing all its refineries. According to the NNPC boss, one should be ready by the end of this year.

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by nairalanda1(m): 9:47am On Jun 03, 2023
unite4real:

My argument is when I kept hearing that prices will go down after deregulation. But you have buttress the reasons why prices will be looking up.
Crude oil is around $74 right now. By the time the price shoots up, we are in for it

Yeah, things cost money.

But even then, at the end of the day, what most of us want is dirt cheap. That's not possible anymore....

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by Dchair2: 9:48am On Jun 03, 2023
Blaze14k:

Some of you who support tinubu are so unintelligent. What this implies is the importers will determine the price of the market including dangotes refinery

I wonder if this doesn't interprete to mean food for the boys! Why must we import what we have? We have the crude, the refineries and the capacity to refine and yet we are talking about importation? When would our refineries work, if our refineries are working and more are built, only then can we truly talk about any worthwhile price competition beginning. With importation it would include cost of refining, vessel charges, haulage, etc built into the cost of the products, so what are we really talking about?

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by marlow1962(m): 9:50am On Jun 03, 2023
KingKO22:
Good

At worst petrol should not be more than 450 in Nigeria

No matter how bad international market is
Are we even supposed to buy petrol 450?
We're Nigerians not enjoying petrol for 65 naira under Jonathan. But Nigerians said no, that they like suffering.

Bro una go buy petrol 800-1k per liter and Nigerians can't do anything cus they are cowards.
Everybody dy shout dangote dangote cus say him and him other evil politicians build refinery for Lagos and una think say him go make the price of petrol go down, haha I laugh.
Bro they can never be competition in the oil and gas sector or business, fuel station fit put price where sweet them (of cause them no send anybody) and you must buy.
Agbadorians can't even afford that 450 petrol so

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by slowice(m): 9:53am On Jun 03, 2023
jullary:
Good. Let the competition start.
It should be a competitive market, las las the price will definitely comes down without subsidy.
the price will come down only when crude oil does
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by gidjah(m): 9:54am On Jun 03, 2023
Chetas81:
when last do you heard caba in oyinbo Man sentence ____ cabal- poor -hustle - / have no respect in British territory
This is Africa , this is more also Nigeria were religion and ethnicity has divided us, this cabal thing is real.The oil sector is been controlled by one , the minning sector , the power sector ,communication sector (partly ) controlled by this group, don't doubt them o.Do you remember a female minister parents were kidnapped some time ago over this subsidy removal matter she proposed ?it wasn't a Fulani issue then it was an organized crime.we just pray it fails big this time. Most Nigerians with understanding are all with it that subsidy should go,but we are also asking that the refineries be functional and if possible let's have full data bank of the oil sectors activities.its too shrouded in mystery over the decades and that's the hand writing of the cabals I have been talking about
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by onatisi(m): 9:55am On Jun 03, 2023
i won't be surprised in the future if fuel subsidy is reintroduced, this may sound like a far impossible possibility but just my opinion though

LagosBoi2:
Majority agrees that subsidy regime needs to go but my concern here is that, if they say refining locally will not bring down the price of petrol significantly i.e dangote and getting our local refineries to work, if other companies starts importing too taking away NNPC's market monopoly, that too will not bring it down significantly, what then will bring down the price of petrol significantly? Already Buhari has borrowed heaven and earth. Buhari has truly set traps for Tinubu. He will have to prove his brilliance once again in this difficult task ahead. May God help Him
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by Vadese1: 9:56am On Jun 03, 2023
Fix refineries and Remove pms subsidy. We Agree. Is it too big for the useless fraudulent elected government. Why is Tinubu sudden rush for the same subsidy he claimed it never existed during Goodluck government.
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by Dchair2: 9:57am On Jun 03, 2023
[quote author=Melezenawii post=123543411]NLC and TUC apply for your license and sell to Nigerians at #100
Lobatan[/quote

Fuel import is certainly not the way to go! We have the crude, we have refineries, we have the know how to refine these products, so why import? When would our refineries work, why not fix them , build more, even if they are modular ones, only then would subsidy removal make sense, why import what you have ? Isn't it the same madness with the Cocoa thing? You export Cocoa only to import it back into the country at a ridiculous price as chocolate!
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by mastermaestro(m): 9:57am On Jun 03, 2023
erico2k2:

DO you think we can survive on N500/;tre petrol regime?

What about cooking gas and diesel? Everyone has moved on those two equally critical issues. Availability will dwarf all these survival concerns most of you are expressing with teary eyes.

All the major political players in the last presidential election agreed that it was no longer feasible to keep such a humongous wagebill. So what's the fuss about now? Jonathan and Buhari were too cowardly to yank it off. Here is a man with balls getting rid of the monster. The removal will bite but it won't kill.

Petrol increased every year despite the subsidy. Should we continue in this economic confusion? You have no idea what the debt burden of Nigeria is presently. You want to keep borrowing to subsidize petroleum products for Benin, Chad and Niger?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by Peppysco: 9:58am On Jun 03, 2023
Blaze14k:

Some of you who support tinubu are so unintelligent. What this implies is the importers will determine the price of the market including dangotes refinery

You're the unintelligent fellow here. The more importers that come into the market, the more the competition, the higher the supply and eventually, the lower the price.
Basic Economics.
Even had to simplify the explanation just to make you understand better.

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by famology(m): 10:00am On Jun 03, 2023
ironheart:
After pegging the price so high to favour your paymasters. Its sad that subsidy had already been paid for until the end of june. Why are we so evil in this country?

Nothing has been paid. It's just in the budget. No money to fund it.
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by Impera(m): 10:04am On Jun 03, 2023
Not only that allow everybody to imprt without restrictions like import license...that's the only way to avoid cartels in importation and oligopoly practices

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by famology(m): 10:04am On Jun 03, 2023
These agencies should now be scrapped to save up more money. They're useless now.
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by chukiz(m): 10:05am On Jun 03, 2023
Nmdpra should be scraped ASAP.
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by Bishop4real: 10:05am On Jun 03, 2023
Blaze14k:

And what's wrong with that, "intelligent" supporter of "God of wisdom"?
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by Artzdanielsz(m): 10:08am On Jun 03, 2023
They go soon change goal post
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by erico2k2(m): 10:09am On Jun 03, 2023
mastermaestro:

What about cooking gas and diesel? Everyone has moved on those two equally critical issues. Availability will dwarf all these survival concerns most of you are expressing with teary eyes.

All the major political players in the last presidential election agreed that it was no longer feasible to keep such a humongous wagebill. So what's the fuss about now? Jonathan and Buhari were too cowardly to yank it off. Here is a man with balls getting rid of the monster. The removal will bite but it won't kill.

Petrol increased every year despite the subsidy. Should we continue in this economic confusion? You have no idea what the debt burden of Nigeria is presently. You want to keep borrowing to subsidize petroleum products for Benin, Chad and Niger?
I don't know if you live i n NIgeria or not but I will telly you this, Diesel has been Deregulated for almost 10 years. However, the price rose as a result of closure of three major refineries in South Africa, ask yourself who own them. Hats a case for another day.
Now ask yourself again what policies the government put in place to compensate for this drastic action that is going to drive domestic price sky high. In the Uk if I am a transporter, Fuel bills add to my running cost which at every end of tax year I claim via tax return. My property which I rent out of all bills inclusive, I put the gas+Electricity+water bills TV licence bills as running cost and claim it back as tax return. You are here claiming teary eye, someone travelled from Bening to Lagos and spent almost 24K on Transport. Now how about that people who live in Lagos who already spend40K as monthly transport to and fro work they are going to spend X3.Look I don't live in NIgeria by any means but this is going to affect all works of life in that country and I see riot coming soon. Outright stoppage was not the solution rather tackling the corruption i n it.There is shyte load of subsidy regimes in the UK but the corruption in it is nai.
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by chidiokay: 10:09am On Jun 03, 2023
jullary:
It should be a competitive market, las las the price will definitely comes down without subsidy.

The competition will only start when private investors get there license and have stock for distribution.
The present stock in the country was distributed solely by NNPC that was why they got away with regulating the price.

The way we depend on PMS in these country i am afraid competition won't do much, what can really drive PMS price down is low demand, Nigerians need alternatives, a stable power supply, trains and electric buses for a start will go a long way to cut PMS wings.
In UK & other developed world you live years and not see petrol eye to eye. my friend in UK told me yesterday since he got to UK he as not seen petrol, these is someone that as he is returning from work he must carry keg to go buy fuel cheesy
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by casualobserver: 10:14am On Jun 03, 2023
Blaze14k:

You are the one who is unntelligent. All the 4 major candidates have said they will remove subsidy. Peter Obi specifically said “from day 1”. So this has nothing to do with Tinubu.

Let us now try and approach this from an intelligent point of view ( if you are indeed capable of intelligence)

1. Immediately Tinubu announced the full removal of subsidy, petrol prices went up in Cameron, Togo, Benin. What does that tell you, what does Nigeria have to do with these countries? You use the word intelligent so I assume you can do the math.
2. We have been borrowing to subsidize petrol to the tune of $10b a year, mind you our total government expenditure in a year is about $40b. So a quarter of our expenditure goes to subsidize petrol including petrol in neighboring countries. Not only that we are borrowing the money. What this means is a family has no money to feed itself, to clothe its children, to pay for electricity, to send its children to school but is BORROWING to feed its neighbors.
3. What right do you have to subsidized petrol? Ghana is an oil producing country, petrol costs N870/ liter. Of all the countries in west Africa Nigeria has the cheapest petrol, the next cheapest is more than f
4x. Clealrly our petrol price is unsustainable. All these countries are surviving while paying petrol 4 times what we pay In Nigeria. None of them are listed as poverty capital of the world.
4. Do you know what $10b a year can do for infrastructure, roads, rail school, heath etc.
5.finally it is not like ther is some $10b somewhere that we were spending yearly on subsidy, we were borrowing the money to maintain subsidy.

Look at the table below, does it make any sense to you? Mind you this is calculated assuming Naira is fully floated (715 to $)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by OlawaleBammie: 10:14am On Jun 03, 2023
jullary:
It will surprise u that the importers will have a round table meeting and fix the uniform price for themselves..

The masses are at lost here
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by Balogunodua(m): 10:14am On Jun 03, 2023
No more fixed price...let get use to it.
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by erico2k2(m): 10:16am On Jun 03, 2023
chidiokay:

The competition will only start when private investors get there license and have stock for distribution.
The present stock in the country was distributed solely by NNPC that was why they got away with regulating the price.

The way we depend on PMS in these country i am afraid competition won't do much, what can really drive PMS price down is low demand, Nigerians need alternatives, a stable power supply, trains and electric buses for a start will go a long way to cut PMS wings.
In UK & other developed world you live ueats and not see petrol eye to eye. my friend in UK told me yesterday since he got to UK he as not seen petrol, these is someone that as he returning from he must carry keg to go buy fuel cheesy
What you said up there was what I was referring to wen somone say we dey use teary eye respond!
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by NzogbuNzogbu: 10:17am On Jun 03, 2023
gidjah:
thinking in that pattern just now too sir.most of this regulation /deregulation bla bla should be scrapped off. Most of them are redundant and publicly financially tasking .Even task force in oil company ,since we now have open market, only the best oil importers will sure sell most
irrelevant agencies funding the ahmeds and Abdul's them

As he has used his mouth to confessed their job has ended, I was expecting he tenders his resignation
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by Offpoint1: 10:17am On Jun 03, 2023
Sisora:
I build investment website for 10k only or you can get the script for 5k and install it yourself.

All scripts work superbly.

I also build VTU website for 10k only or you can get the script for 5k.

I also build multivendor ecommerce websites like jumia or jiji cost 10k only or you can get the script for 5k and install it yourself.
Does your 10k includes hosting and domain?
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by patrickcollins: 10:18am On Jun 03, 2023
jullary:
There is nothing like competition, these dealers have unions and will always want more money, tell me has competition brought kerosene diesel and liquidified gas down, they sale for less than 800 naira
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by Blaze14k: 10:18am On Jun 03, 2023
Peppysco:

You're the unintelligent fellow here. The more importers that come into the market, the more the competition, the higher the supply and eventually, the lower the price.
Basic Economics.
Even had to simplify the explanation just to make you understand better.

So if we have alot of importers do you think the fuel price will drop as low as 200? And what happens when there increase in cost of crude oil per barrel. Oya explain mr intelligent. Most of u dumb Bleep dont do your home work before coming to attack me

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by Biodun556(m): 10:19am On Jun 03, 2023
Blaze14k:

But Buhari was borrowing to subsidized fuel, is that a good idea?
Re: We Won’t Fix Petrol Prices Again – NMDPRA by SalamRushdie: 10:19am On Jun 03, 2023
Them deregulate oil refineries

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

‘Days Of Rage’: Sowore’s AAC To Protest Across Nigeria, August 5 / Police Deploy SWAT Officers In State Commands / ‘ASUU Strike’: Bola Tinubu Promises 25% Budgetary Allocation To Education

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.