Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,342 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. (17391 Views)

The Life Of A Millennial Looking To Retire At 40 / Chinese Employers Sack Nigerian Employees Over Refusal To Practice Buddhism / Voice Of America Sacks 15 Hausa Employees In A Nigeria Bribery Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by TradingGod: 2:18pm On Jun 10, 2023
OgbeniOptional:
Cuz what u earn is community money in Nigeria, u pay for your mother’s brother’s Son/Daughter’s Waec fees, school fees etc. u pay that scarce cash for your children school fees and lesson fees, clothes etc. it is by grace of God to have one low budget 3 bed flat and probably one 1990s Audi or bwm after retirement as a civil servant without corruption in Nigeria. The sad part is most of those lunatic childrens are forming woke to that same parents who sacrificed their sweat. I would do anything for my parent. They suffered a lot

Any child that forsake his parents is worse than an infidel

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by sniperr007(m): 2:21pm On Jun 10, 2023
Nice2023:
Why do most govt employees end up retiring very poor and wretched.

What might have caused it?

Civil service encourages laziness and free money.

Hence they don't know how to create or sustain wealth.

So there is no backup plan after retirement.
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by ROYALMAXCLEANER: 2:21pm On Jun 10, 2023
embarassed

Nah, police own pain me pass sad

Unless dem comot police from pension with wuru

After 35yrs in service... They retirement package nah jux 1-3m that nah small ranks

Then 3-8m that nah dem ogas own b that ooo embarassed

Abeg make Tinubu comot this people from pension wuru wuru... sad embarassed

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by iswallker(m): 2:26pm On Jun 10, 2023
Love800:
Pls i have a question.

Does pension have expiring date? Will there be a time a certain individual will not be collecting pension again?

Can you just collect all your pension once nd neva expect any pension money again? Is it a must dat u will be collecting it monthly?

Is it from ur salary dat the govt extract this pension from? Or its the govt dat pay u from their own money?

I heard people collect pension as low as 20k monthly. Pls is this true? And does ur area of specialization(department) determine how much u will get paid as pension? because someone told me dat oil workers in govt collect pension as high as 400k monthly.

Pension is for life under old scheme and cps.

You get 25% of your RSA balance - the rest is paid monthly. The balance is paid to benefactor at death.

Govt pays 10% of your monthly gross from federation account - 8% is extracted from your monthly gross as your own contribution.

The total of 18% is paid to PFA to invest while you work.

You are eligible for monthly pension at age 50 - if you so desire.

Your monthly pension depends on 1. the grade level you retired on 2. Your age at retirement 3. Your RSA balance at retirement

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Wodu89: 2:26pm On Jun 10, 2023
TradingGod:

Poverty is a state of the mind

It is caused by lack of knowledge

If you know how to play football like lionel messi, you will be swimming in millions of dollars by now

Knowledge over money

Why are professors poor then ?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Tenumootito: 2:36pm On Jun 10, 2023
I had researched this and below are my findings.
1. Our schools doesn't teach us financial literacy and management.
2 . School had been designed to make use be employees.
3 A lot of employees doesn't know how money work. We have to invest in knowledge to get how money works.
4 business is the key to financial freedom, providing solutions to problem will make you rich, wealth and flourish.
5 A lot of employees are afraid to take risk, hence money doesn't work that way
6 Employees mindset had been program, salary will soon come..two days later ..another rate race. I write to tell you as employees whether in govt or private sector, read the following books...The richest man in Babylon, Rich dad poor dad, Automatic millionaire. You will get to know how money work and have financial knowledge.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by smasher1(m): 2:36pm On Jun 10, 2023
Nice2023:

Lack of savings from every month salary.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Reference(m): 2:38pm On Jun 10, 2023
Because the country they claim to be working for is run down and poor.
In normal climes when you run down an enterprise you lose your job as it folds up.
Well, government is built never to close down no matter how badly government employees run it aground but poverty is a certain option.

OP. If I say what is on my mind concerning the civil service you will just weep.
Do you know the last time Nigeria's refineries worked anywhere near capacity (that is at the kind of sustained, productive levels a typical enterprise needs to be profitable) was nearly thirty years ago during the early years of the Abacha regime.

Now a civil servant who joined the Refining company then will soon be ripe enough to retire and become pensionable. What will such a person claim to have done with his life. WHY should such a person be anything but poor, but most are not. Not only do they not work as in the true sense of work, but they either sabotage or work in cahoots with those who sabotage that enterprise.

And this can be said about half a dozen other grave yards called Nigerian government enterprises from Ajaokuta to ports littering the eastern seaboard. Just one big welfare scheme.
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Boyhood: 2:45pm On Jun 10, 2023
Love800:
Pls i have a question.

Does pension have expiring date? Will there be a time a certain individual will not be collecting pension again?

Can you just collect all your pension once nd neva expect any pension money again? Is it a must dat u will be collecting it monthly?

Is it from ur salary dat the govt extract this pension from? Or its the govt dat pay u from their own money?

I heard people collect pension as low as 20k monthly. Pls is this true? And does ur area of specialization(department) determine how much u will get paid as pension? because someone told me dat oil workers in govt collect pension as high as 400k monthly.

1. With the new contributory pension scheme, Yes pension has an expiry date. 15 years after retirement, it will be expected that you have collected all the funds saved on your behalf in the pension scheme.
2. You can only collect 25% of your contributed pension fund in one bulk only after 4 months of being without a job. and the remaining 75% you will collect monthly after retirement
3. With the contributory pension scheme, your employer/government takes 8% from your salary and put in pension for you and your employer the (government/private) also contribute 10% of your salary for you in your pension that means both you and the government contributes .
4. Yes people collect even lower than 20k since the pension you get is dependent on how much you/your employers contributed when you were still working.
So if an oil worker who collects good salary contributes good amount into his pension account, he will receive good pay as pension when he finally retires.
And if an LGA staff who gets paid barely 30k monthly contributes about 5,400 or less monthly into his pension account will definitely get meager pension when he finally retire.
Mind you some tiers of government especially state governments usually default in paying their part of the pension contributions and sometimes even when they deducted your 8% they still won't remit it to your pension account and at the end of the day you see people not getting any pension after retirement

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by vickydevoka(m): 2:52pm On Jun 10, 2023
Felixv:
it's not just civil servants -but anyone who does not plan for the future would retire poor. But the way things are in this country many people would definitely retire poor or would work forever.

a pension plan is a must
medical plan
your own personal house -no matter how small
invest in your children (if you have any) and try to have a stable home.
With poor salary you can’t plan

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Hanndye: 3:00pm On Jun 10, 2023
What do govt employees do? Bunch of bench/seat warmers.
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Christistruth03: 3:09pm On Jun 10, 2023
MrBrownJay1:
the world is designed to make you SURVIVE as a gov employee, not to get rich from it.

if you are in the Government dept. dealing with Agriculture or Construction you can do extremely well

have you ever wondered why retired Presidents and Generals in Nigeria often take up Agriculture in a big way like Obasanjo and Jonathan

it is very Lucrative if you have the right technical knowledge
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:11pm On Jun 10, 2023
Christistruth03:
if you are in the Government dept. dealing with Agriculture or Construction you can do extremely well
have you ever wondered why retired Presidents and Generals in Nigeria often take up Agriculture in a big way like Obasanjo and Jonathan
it is very Lucrative if you have the right technical knowledge

after stealing lands by the millions of acre, no wonder so many ex president go into Agric/consruction biz.
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by aku626(m): 3:18pm On Jun 10, 2023
Salaries don’t make people rich to add to that they’re paid poorly, they don’t have a good plan, some of them are cursed.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by dododawa1: 3:22pm On Jun 10, 2023
Most money govt worker making are BRIBE,and EVIL MONEY.
Righteous money last.
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by TollinsN: 3:23pm On Jun 10, 2023
Most of them made the mistake of being allowing themselves to be lured into BANK LOANS.
At the back of the loan bond. The agreements stated will say at (for example 8%) , but subjected to existing interest rate thereafter.
These things are so tiny such that you will be highly tempted to ignore it. Then once signed and submitted. It's binding.
Once the salary had been mortgaged. You will be happy you are enjoying especially for having access to loans. At the end of the day, you will realise that the bank had been enjoying 2/5 of your salary
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by LOVEGINO(m): 3:30pm On Jun 10, 2023
Wodu89:

Here's the answer. It's called a matrix. And it's designed to keep victims in a complex, perpetual, cyclical maze that they never get out of till death
aswear
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by OtuologyProf(m): 3:31pm On Jun 10, 2023
ultimateprof:
The life style of many civil servants are what I called improper fraction.

Exactly, how can you earn a little above 100k and you pay 400 k house rent plus transportation and other bills. What type of magic will make you rich? This is someone that has a house and land in his village oh.
I'm beginning to think it's mental illness

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by NECO1998: 3:44pm On Jun 10, 2023
It's due to:
1. Lack of proper planning
2. Too many unnessesary loans
3. Too much love for fashion
4. Everyday beer parlour
5. Living above your income
6. Fake life, and many more

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by mastermaestro(m): 3:45pm On Jun 10, 2023
Most of you are shouting 'poor planning' , 'they are lazy' , depending on 'single income' and other nonsensical insults. Is this the same reason why more than 70% of Nigerians are also poor? Those of you shouting private business up and and down, how many private business owners are doing well? How many privately employed Nigerians live above poverty?

The real issues here are poor pay, delayed gratuity, irregular pension, skyrocketing inflation, nonexistent public health scheme, lack of welfare support for children and the elderly. All of these are traceable to bad governance.

People doing fraud and be screaming side hustle. Nonsense! angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by osobase01(m): 3:50pm On Jun 10, 2023
Hamachi:
HmmmmmmSad truth😥😥😥😥😥 This real-life story of Uncle Owusu, after living in the UK for 38 years and at the age of 71, Uncle Owusu finally relocated to Ghana this year—to live in his 6-bedroom mansion which took him 9 years to complete.

Apparently, now in Ghana and in his mansion, Uncle Owusu lives in the living room of the house while his caretaker lives upstairs in his huge master bedroom. This is because Uncle Owusu cannot climb the stairs without the help of another person. Even with help, it will take him 15 minutes to make the climb.

As such, Uncle Owusu has decided to stay downstairs of his mansion (in the living room) as all 6 bedrooms are upstairs. The house has a living room, toilet, and kitchen downstairs and 3 rooms on the first floor, and another 3 (including the master bedroom) on the second/last floor.

This is surely not how Uncle Owusu anticipated his retirement. But that is the reality of his journey. This will be the life of many other Africans living abroad—building mansions back home without caring about their old age.

In fact, if you are building a dream house for yourself to live in and by 50 years that house is not done, forget it.

Uncle Owusu almost wasted 38 years of his life doing menial jobs abroad hoping to go and retire back home in his mansion and enjoy life. Now, he has no life to enjoy and someone is really enjoying the mansion.

Like most aged persons, Uncle Owusu is not even able to enjoy a bottle of malt at his age—because that will shoot up his sugar level. Yet, he said he was working hard all his life to enjoy his best life which included eating and drinking the finest when he retires.

Now, he is only able to eat salads—and even that, without dressing. He cannot even chew any of the fine meat out there without his cholesterol sending warning signs.

How is this life and the great retirement? Yet, this will be the life of more than half of us.

The solution is to take mini-retirements now and enjoy your life and luxury now.

Life starts when you start.

Join www.above50football.com today

Stale which one is wasteful years dem no fit build parlor and kitchen for upstairs for am so the upstairs go dey comfortable for him even kitchen can be installed and everything will be well planned

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Felixv: 4:02pm On Jun 10, 2023
[quote author=vickydevoka post=123701416][/quote]

if you are young with a decent education and earning a poor salary then you need to work on your side hustles ---invest time in making money

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by OtuologyProf(m): 4:05pm On Jun 10, 2023
mastermaestro:
Most of you are shouting 'poor planning' , 'they are lazy' , depending on 'single income' and other nonsensical insults. Is this the same reason why more than 70% of Nigerians are also poor? Those of you shouting private business up and and down, how many private business owners are doing well? How many privately employed Nigerians live above poverty?

The real issues here are poor pay, delayed gratuity, irregular pension, skyrocketing inflation, nonexistent public health scheme, lack of welfare support for children and the elderly. All of these are traceable to bad governance.

People doing fraud and be screaming side hustle. Nonsense! angry

Odiegwu
The issue here is unnecessary bills.
When you stay rent free in your village, with almost zero cost of transportation, you can be rich by selling hot rice and beans in you truck at the market square, you don't even need a shop.
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by occfx: 4:12pm On Jun 10, 2023
Nice2023:

It's a lazy man work since wether you work or not, you get paid. So the lazy ones remains there without any attempt to better there lives.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Pakman: 4:36pm On Jun 10, 2023
The Matrix will remain till the end of this world because some people are happy to remain in the matrix. Only those who break the RULES of the matrix will rise to the top.
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Charly68: 4:49pm On Jun 10, 2023
How much is their salary ? Even when they retire Govt won't pay their pension on time

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Christistruth03: 5:00pm On Jun 10, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

after stealing lands by the millions of acre, no wonder so many ex president go into Agric/consruction biz.

without Stealing Land you can do very well in Agriculture

But you will need to rent the Land
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:17pm On Jun 10, 2023
Christistruth03:
without Stealing Land you can do very well in Agriculture
But you will need to rent the Land

yes you definitely can...but the issue IS: if these ex-president went into politics with NO LAND, and suddenly leave with millions of acres of lands, what would you want them to do with it (if not agric/construction)?!'

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by yemi1504: 5:35pm On Jun 10, 2023
solmusdesigns:
Their salary scale and pension can't make them rich

Exactly! Most of the salaries are just to meet month-to-month bills with little savings especially for state workers.
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by IbeOkehie: 5:36pm On Jun 10, 2023
Hamachi:
HmmmmmmSad truth😥😥😥😥😥 This real-life story of Uncle Owusu, after living in the UK for 38 years and at the age of 71, Uncle Owusu finally relocated to Ghana this year—to live in his 6-bedroom mansion which took him 9 years to complete.

Apparently, now in Ghana and in his mansion, Uncle Owusu lives in the living room of the house while his caretaker lives upstairs in his huge master bedroom. The house has a living room, toilet, and kitchen downstairs and 3 rooms on the first floor, and another 3 (including the master bedroom) on the second/last floor.

This is surely not how Uncle Owusu anticipated his retirement. But that is the reality of his journey. This will be the life of many other Africans living abroad—building mansions back home without caring about their old age.

Well this is why I'm strongly against going back to Nigeria or Africa to retire. It's a losing and dangerous proposition for MOST people. Emphasis on MOST, not all. Many, many rich Nigerians in their 50's or who have retired are now moving to the USA and UK to retire, not hearsay, I know several of them right here where I live. So why would an average middle class person of whatever age move to Nigeria? shocked

IbeOkehie:

Well, I'm well into middle age and I've lived in the USA for over 30 years and I'm quite sure I'm not moving to Nigeria to live even in retirement. Granted, one can never predict everything, but that's my outlook for now.

Also, I'm seeing more and more middle aged to elderly Nigerians WITHOUT any children here in the USA move here bringing their children with them. I know for a fact that many of them intend to live here for the rest of their lives.

Also I've noticed the working age or recently graduated Nigerian immigrants coming to the USA in the last decade or so are doing things or taking steps that send the unmistakable signal that they're not going back to LIVE PERMANENTLY in Nigeria, ever.

I could be wrong, just my own first hand observations. Since the 1970's many Nigerians have left the USA and gone back to live permanently in Nigeria. It didn't turn out well for the majority of them and their experiences have been duly noted. Nigeria has gotten so bad that the risk of moving back is now off the charts.

Still, you might see me settling down in Lagos or PH tomorrow. Or my dead body will end up in my village against my wishes.

Life is funny. To each their own.

My mother was a civil servant in Nigeria and qualified for full retirement. She and most of her colleagues have rarely collected their pension. I brought her to the USA, she entered the workforce and put in 18 years and now draws a solid retirement. My mother in law who lives with me, she worked for a PRIVATE COMPANY in Nigeria, qualified for pension and it was never paid. It's not just her, there's MANY older Nigerians and other 3rd World immigrants like that, so much so that the NY Times even wrote an article about it.

Rich older people in Nigeria or those that have rich children abroad also tend to become targets for those who want free money....thieves, con men and unscrupulous relatives.

How can I be the only person who knows all this? There's NOTHING to be gained from investing in Nigeria, whether for current profits or preparing a retirement. Even the social benefits have drastically diminished in the past decade or so. I know the usual ANONYMOUS commentators here will give us examples of this and that person living happily in Nigeria, but until I see REAL NAMES, I'm not giving them any credence.

So why would a sane average person ever move to Nigeria? I've shared my views here, no need to repeat much.

IbeOkehie:

Really? Granted there's always unforeseen circumstances but most middle class workers in the USA who take BASIC steps to plan their retirement can maintain a good lifestyle on Social Security.

I know and have experienced enough about Nigeria AND the USA. All considered, the USA is a better place for retirement. It takes a little bit of planning though....just a little bit, nothing major. That includes living a healthy life, there's large scale, long duration studies that show the kind of lifestyle choices that are most likely to keep one living a reasonably independent life even at 80, 90 years old.

Many rich people in their 50s are now leaving Nigeria to live in the USA. From what I see it seems they started putting things in place 10 to 20 years ago. Maybe they knew something

When I read all these claims about how the USA is a terrible place to live...I have to wonder if it's the same country I've been living in for over 30 years. Maybe I'm dreaming...

Those who think Nigeria is paradise, you're welcome to it. I'm LIKELY to retire right here in the USA, in my home.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by yemi1504: 5:50pm On Jun 10, 2023
Nazgul:

Most got employed with SSCE so they remained on the same level for years, and by the time they retire, their salaries is still not enough for their large family. This happens mostly in the military and para-military.

As for state government workers, that one is slavery on its own. Most states pay peanuts and some useless governors would still owe salaries.

You can say that again!
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by yemi1504: 5:52pm On Jun 10, 2023
NoToPile:
Lool

Whats the difference between a civil servant and those in private sectors? People still work for companies and become wretched after retirement. I really don't get the point.

What of those who despite earning peanuts are still fair off after retirement?

I think the problem some people are having with civil servants is the so called regularity of their salaries.

Anyway not all govt workers earn peanuts, there are decently paid govt workers too.

The Federal ones are paid well but as getting the job is through expensive slots, not everyone will be lucky.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Benefits Of Working For Yourself (self- Employed) / Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD / Osun Worker Attempts Suicide Over Unpaid Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.