Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,728 members, 7,831,310 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) (824 Views)

New Minimum Wage To Take Effect From May 1, 2024 – FG / Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities / Kano Governor-Elect Will Review Sanusi’s Dethronement, Says Kwankwaso (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by leanonme82: 3:57am On Jun 04, 2023
President Bola Tinubu has expressed his administration’s readiness to review the present N30,000 minimum wage to be in tandem with current global realities.

According to him, improved livelihood for Nigerians remains a top priority of his government, with more people-focused economic policies, assuring that the national minimum wage needs a review to reflect realities.

The President, who received members of the Progressive Governors Forum (PGF) led by the Chairman, Senator Hope Uzodinma of Imo State, at the State House, Abuja on Friday, said the national and sub-national governments will work together on the minimum wage, which already requires “soul searching.’’

Watch Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8smjIgHSS8c

He said: “We need to do some arithmetic and soul searching on the minimum wage. We will have to take a look at that together, and the revenue. We must strengthen the source and application of our revenue.’’

President Tinubu urged the governors to seize the opportunity of being chosen among millions of citizens in their states to make a difference in the lives of people, adding that he will work for the benefit of Nigerians.

According to him: “This meeting is not strange to me, and the content of the meeting is so valuable. The camaraderie is very stimulating. This is about the Nigerian project, not Bola Tinubu”.

“As progressives and thinkers under the umbrella of the All Progressives Congress (APC), you have a role to play in educating our people and making sure we manage ourselves,’’ the President told the governors.

President Tinubu said it was a good and encouraging sign that the APC has a majority in the National Assembly and some Houses of Assembly, which will make it easier to develop policies that will directly impact the economy and the people.

“If we work together, the Nigeria of our dreams is not far away. Rest assured that we will not have multiple exchange rates anymore. You asked for this meeting, and I had to set aside time to be here.

“We have a political party that we will need to manage, whichever way, we have inherited assets and liabilities, and we cannot complain,’’ he stated.

The President said he would maintain an open-door policy, willing to entertain issues, deliberate, and collectively find solutions to the challenges facing the country, including security.

“It is in our hands, and I am ready to work and listen at any time,’’ he added.

Vice President Kashim Shettima, on his remarks,called on the governors to rally around the President as he tackles the challenges that stagnate the economy, like the oil subsidy and multiple exchange rates.

“Let us rally around the President and not bulge, there are vested interests that may want to resist the subsidy removal. Its removal will free resources for the development of your states,” he added.

Addressing newsmen after the meeting with the President, Chairman of the PGF, Governor Uzodinma, called on Nigerians to rally behind the government’s decision to remove the subsidy.

According to him, subsidy was no longer sustainable as the country had been having to borrow money to pay for it, and that the National Economic Council (NEC) had already voted against it.

“We already agreed as a government and in the National Economic Council that subsidizing petroleum products is no longer sustainable because for the past two years, we have been borrowing to subsidize and in various meetings I, for instance, have asked questions, who are the exact beneficiaries of this subsidy and I’m sure you, from the media, may not know exactly who the exact beneficiaries and there’s none of us here who can vouch for the integrity of implementation programmes of the petroleum subsidy allocation.

According to him: “It has gotten to a point that it is either that, which is no longer sustainable, is managed or there will be no Nigeria and all of us are committed to the success and unity of the country and the last appropriation, which is law, made provision for subsidy up till June. The President, who has just been sworn-in few days ago, has not prepared any budget, and he’s under oath to respect the laws of the land and one of these laws is 2023 Appropriations Acts.

“So by June this year, it is very clear that there is no provision for any money to be used to subsidize petroleum product. What he did from the address, because I went home two days, took that address, went through that address and saw that what the President mentioned passively was petroleum subsidy is no longer fashionable and cannot be sustained and we, members of National Economic Council, chaired by former Vice President Osinbajo, agreed also to the extent that the former government had concluded arrangements to take loan from the World Bank, that will be used as palliative to be sent to the people of Nigeria, as a measure to cushion the harsh weather or inconveniences of the complete removal of the subsidy by government.

“So it is not new and I want you people to help this situation because collectively, only by working together, we can save the country. I thought that what we should be saying now is, in the absence of subsidizing petroleum products, how are we going to make this product available to Nigerians to use”.

Source: https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2023/06/02/tinubu-we-will-review-minimum-wage-to-reflect-current-realities

Lalasticlala mynd44 dominique
Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by Creamypie(m): 3:59am On Jun 04, 2023
Nigeria's last good government is obj own. The rest no know wetin to do, after all d mouth making. From buhari to tilimpoo. Very and totally irres6 and useless

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by HacheNoire: 4:08am On Jun 04, 2023
Way to go!

I believe his His Excellency, President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu (GCFR) has all mapped out already.

Accepting realities and taking measures is the first step, and that he is doing.

With the proceeds of subsidy removal, much can be done to alleviate the current state of events.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by leanonme82: 4:16am On Jun 04, 2023
Creamypie:
Nigeria's last good government is obj own. The rest no know wetin to do, after all d mouth making. From buhari to tilimpoo. Very and totally irres6 and useless

Oh so you agree about that. I keep rolling my eyes how Yaraduas government got that crown. Tinubu will do as good a job as Obasanjo in resetting the country on the right path.

I like the fact that he implemented SLS and Okonjo Iwealas recomendations for subsidy removal and combining the exchange rates in his first week as president. Its a good sign he is listening to real economists.

He is a politician unlike OBJ though. OBJ led with brute force and eliminating his enemies in the SW (Bola Ige), eliminating threats in Maiduguri (Boko Haram leader) and eliminating dissent in the south south (Clearing Odi). Tinubu is more into schmoozing people to get things done.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by pocohantasgspot: 4:52am On Jun 04, 2023
Talk more of about a living wage.

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi should be re-appointed Central Bank Governor

1 Like

Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by leanonme82: 5:02am On Jun 04, 2023
pocohantasgspot:
Talk about a living wage

You still need to talk about revenue generation in states if it is going to be a living wage. Else you'll just announce a figure and state governors wont pay it. Except theres a law passed to punish states dt dont. Some have not even paid the 30k.

I hope they are able to find a solution for a living wage. They should just bring back SLS as CBN governor and get a solid minister of Finance.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by vastolord4(m): 5:17am On Jun 04, 2023
Some states can't even generate proper igr n I wonder how they'll increase their minimum wages for state level workers.. imagine Yobe, zamfara etc.. except they get support from the fg. Remember, some states are owing workers for months

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by BigBlackPreek(m): 5:23am On Jun 04, 2023
Ashiwaju Jagaban

1 Like

Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by darling2424(f): 5:49am On Jun 04, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by GALAXY11(m): 6:14am On Jun 04, 2023
grin laughing at some people that feels that jagaban will perform miracle by drastically turning things around for good.from A-Z of Nigerian politicians don’t have the good of their citizens at heart.

Don’t be fooled by their actions on media or what they’re saying coz they don’t have conscience.typical example is Ben Ayade that came to the media and was shading crocodile tears that he could’ve done this that for his people am sure u know the rest of the story.

The day they start going to jail for fund mismanagement that is when I’ll start believing them....if they open ur eyes to see how much they loot and re-loot you would wish them nothing but death.

Don’t trust what they do on media,
Don’t trust what they say,
Don’t trust any policy they come up with coz is not for your own interest but for their selfish interest.

Know this and know peace men and brethren
Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by bewla(m): 6:22am On Jun 04, 2023
Until its done
Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by leanonme82: 7:09am On Jun 04, 2023
GALAXY11:
grin laughing at some people that feels that jagaban will perform miracle by drastically turning things around for good.from A-Z of Nigerian politicians don’t have the good of their citizens at heart.

Don’t be fooled by their actions on media or what they’re saying coz they don’t have conscience.typical example is Ben Ayade that came to the media and was shading crocodile tears that he could’ve done this that for his people am sure u know the rest of the story.

The day they start going to jail for fund mismanagement that is when I’ll start believing them....if they open ur eyes to see how much they loot and re-loot you would wish them nothing but death.

Don’t trust any policy they come up with coz is not for your own interest but for their selfish interest.

Lol, if it was Obi you wouldnt type this epistle. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by Ofemannnu: 7:12am On Jun 04, 2023
Great
Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by Nahunger(m): 7:14am On Jun 04, 2023
Well most past leaders hate to review minimum wage unless being coreced by NLC.

I hope you do the needful, Nigerians are hopeful
Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by Mynd44: 7:22am On Jun 04, 2023
Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by adekolaelect(m): 7:32am On Jun 04, 2023
GALAXY11:

Oga go away with your badmouthing and useless Imaginations. What is your suggestion for the way out to better Nigeria or you are just here to preach discouragement an Negativity while reasonable Nigeria are bringing out Ideas?? Many of you are just unproductive parasite to this country than to post nonsense and badmouthing on the Media's.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by Tsolutionifede(m): 7:38am On Jun 04, 2023
Creamypie:
I only pity ur children, because if you are this dull, then I pity ur children

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by Jubrilv(m): 7:45am On Jun 04, 2023
Good one
Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by Igbosareuseless: 7:45am On Jun 04, 2023
The state governors and law makers are the real problem of Nigeria.....the day the masses realise this......
Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by Dicado: 7:50am On Jun 04, 2023
I dey smell "more printing of naira notes" for salaries. Ormo, money go soon full everywhere. No more borrowing to pay salaries
leanonme82:
President Bola Tinubu has expressed his administration’s readiness to review the present N30,000 minimum wage to be in tandem with current global realities.

According to him, improved livelihood for Nigerians remains a top priority of his government, with more people-focused economic policies, assuring that the national minimum wage needs a review to reflect realities.

The President, who received members of the Progressive Governors Forum (PGF) led by the Chairman, Senator Hope Uzodinma of Imo State, at the State House, Abuja on Friday, said the national and sub-national governments will work together on the minimum wage, which already requires “soul searching.’’

Watch Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8smjIgHSS8c

He said: “We need to do some arithmetic and soul searching on the minimum wage. We will have to take a look at that together, and the revenue. We must strengthen the source and application of our revenue.’’

President Tinubu urged the governors to seize the opportunity of being chosen among millions of citizens in their states to make a difference in the lives of people, adding that he will work for the benefit of Nigerians.

According to him: “This meeting is not strange to me, and the content of the meeting is so valuable. The camaraderie is very stimulating. This is about the Nigerian project, not Bola Tinubu”.

“As progressives and thinkers under the umbrella of the All Progressives Congress (APC), you have a role to play in educating our people and making sure we manage ourselves,’’ the President told the governors.

President Tinubu said it was a good and encouraging sign that the APC has a majority in the National Assembly and some Houses of Assembly, which will make it easier to develop policies that will directly impact the economy and the people.

“If we work together, the Nigeria of our dreams is not far away. Rest assured that we will not have multiple exchange rates anymore. You asked for this meeting, and I had to set aside time to be here.

“We have a political party that we will need to manage, whichever way, we have inherited assets and liabilities, and we cannot complain,’’ he stated.

The President said he would maintain an open-door policy, willing to entertain issues, deliberate, and collectively find solutions to the challenges facing the country, including security.

“It is in our hands, and I am ready to work and listen at any time,’’ he added.

Vice President Kashim Shettima, on his remarks,called on the governors to rally around the President as he tackles the challenges that stagnate the economy, like the oil subsidy and multiple exchange rates.

“Let us rally around the President and not bulge, there are vested interests that may want to resist the subsidy removal. Its removal will free resources for the development of your states,” he added.

Addressing newsmen after the meeting with the President, Chairman of the PGF, Governor Uzodinma, called on Nigerians to rally behind the government’s decision to remove the subsidy.

According to him, subsidy was no longer sustainable as the country had been having to borrow money to pay for it, and that the National Economic Council (NEC) had already voted against it.

“We already agreed as a government and in the National Economic Council that subsidizing petroleum products is no longer sustainable because for the past two years, we have been borrowing to subsidize and in various meetings I, for instance, have asked questions, who are the exact beneficiaries of this subsidy and I’m sure you, from the media, may not know exactly who the exact beneficiaries and there’s none of us here who can vouch for the integrity of implementation programmes of the petroleum subsidy allocation.

According to him: “It has gotten to a point that it is either that, which is no longer sustainable, is managed or there will be no Nigeria and all of us are committed to the success and unity of the country and the last appropriation, which is law, made provision for subsidy up till June. The President, who has just been sworn-in few days ago, has not prepared any budget, and he’s under oath to respect the laws of the land and one of these laws is 2023 Appropriations Acts.

“So by June this year, it is very clear that there is no provision for any money to be used to subsidize petroleum product. What he did from the address, because I went home two days, took that address, went through that address and saw that what the President mentioned passively was petroleum subsidy is no longer fashionable and cannot be sustained and we, members of National Economic Council, chaired by former Vice President Osinbajo, agreed also to the extent that the former government had concluded arrangements to take loan from the World Bank, that will be used as palliative to be sent to the people of Nigeria, as a measure to cushion the harsh weather or inconveniences of the complete removal of the subsidy by government.

“So it is not new and I want you people to help this situation because collectively, only by working together, we can save the country. I thought that what we should be saying now is, in the absence of subsidizing petroleum products, how are we going to make this product available to Nigerians to use”.

Source: https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2023/06/02/tinubu-we-will-review-minimum-wage-to-reflect-current-realities

Lalasticlala mynd44 dominique
Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by Creamypie(m): 7:57am On Jun 04, 2023
Tsolutionifede:
I only pity ur children, because if you are this dull, then I pity ur children
i pity u and your next ten generations. U are a very daft and dull person. 80% of all foreign companies and banks came in obj time with their massive employments and pay and massive business. After obj, only less 20% of the companies came to Nigeria for business Purchasing power of Nigerians was very high and money was easy. Even 2 of my uncles rejected employment under federal Vivi service cos they felt that their pay wasn't as huge as multi national companies. Oboy don't quote me again oh. Ur memory doesn't go beyond 24 he's b4 present.its an insult to state facts to fact people, motivated by tribalism,religious bias and plate of porridge. Useless "as e dey pain us e dey pain them apologist" go and buy a little of fuel and watch Nigerian film and sleep.
Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by Kokomoni: 8:04am On Jun 04, 2023
Ok
Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by GALAXY11(m): 9:46am On Jun 04, 2023
adekolaelect:
Oga go away with your badmouthing and useless Imaginations. What is your suggestion for the way out to better Nigeria or you are just here to preach discouragement an Negativity while reasonable Nigeria are bringing out Ideas?? Many of you are just unproductive parasite to this country than to post nonsense and badmouthing on the Media's.
on a norms i no sopos reply u but let me tell u special adviser that u ain’t more knowledgeable than most of our politicians...u ain’t exposed than dem.

They ain’t waiting for ur ideas or suggestion to do what is right...bro de know what to do to better ur life but greediness,wickedness won’t let them do that but please u gain nothing from insulting people...let ur disagreement with ones opinion be devoid of insults pls
Re: Tinubu: We Will Review Minimum Wage To Reflect Current Realities (video) by GALAXY11(m): 9:49am On Jun 04, 2023
leanonme82:

Lol, if it was Obi you wouldnt type this epistle. grin
grin grin boss i didn’t exclude any politician ooo,i said from A-Z but if am to choose from,Obi and osibanjo coz i feel de are lesser devil.....

(1) (Reply)

Mmesoma Ejikeme Joy: Why The Noise When Jamb Can Publish Her Scripts? / Why Did Tinubu Cancel Ministry Of Niger Delta Affairs? / Enugu State Govt Launches Facial & Plate Number Identification Security Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.