Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,119 members, 7,828,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike (1122 Views)

Subsidy: Nigeria Treasury Must Be Protected From Looters — Tinubu / Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns / Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Will Pay A Price, Borrowings May Continue – Femi Adesina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by olatade(m): 5:05pm On Jun 04, 2023
The National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) on Sunday directed its members to withdraw their services nationwide over the sudden removal of fuel subsidy by the Nigerian government.

The NUEE in a notice signed by its acting general secretary, Dominic Igwebike, urged its members to comply with the directive and stop work from the early hours of Wednesday.

President Bola Tinubu, on Monday, in his inaugural address at Eagle Square, Abuja, declared that there would no longer be a petroleum subsidy regime as it was not sustainable.

Following the announcement, the NNPCL on Wednesday directed its outlets nationwide to sell fuel between N480 and N570 per litre, an almost 200 per cent increase from the initial price below N200.
In its reaction Friday, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) announced it would embark on a nationwide protest next Wednesday if the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) refuses to reverse the new price regime in the oil sector. The Nigerian Union of Journalists also threatened to join the strike action on Wednesday.

Reacting in a letter to its member on Sunday, the NUEE said its decision was a sequel to the NLC emergency national executive council (NEC) meeting held on 2 June at the Labour House Abuja over the sudden removal of fuel Subsidy, which it said brought untold hardship to Nigerians as well as increased inflation in the economy.

“To this effect, all National, State and Chapter executives are requested to start the mobilisation of our members in total compliance with this directive,” the statement said.

“Please note that withdrawal of Services nationwide commences from 0.00 hours of Wednesday, June 7, 2023.

“You are encouraged to work with the leadership of State Executive Councils (SEC) of the Congress in your various states with a view to having a successful action,” the letter said.

Subsidy
Nigeria spent over N4 trillion last year on petrol subsidy, more than it spent on healthcare and education, with many experts arguing that such was unsustainable.

This year, the immediate past government of Muhammadu Buhari only provided budgetary allocation for petrol subsidy until 30 June after saying it would leave the incoming administration to make a final decision on the matter.

However, the three leading presidential candidates in the 25 February presidential election (Mr Tinubu, Atiku Abubakar and Peter Obi) promised to remove the petrol subsidy if elected.

Opponents of the removal, such as the NLC, however, argue that it would increase the prices of goods and services and further impoverish millions of citizens in a country.

The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) on Saturday announced it would embark on a nationwide protest next Wednesday if NNPCL refuses to reverse the new price regime in the oil sector.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/business-news/602484-fuel-subsidy-nigeria-electricity-workers-to-embark-on-nationwide-strike.html
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by darling2424(f): 5:06pm On Jun 04, 2023
This is getting too serious

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by LagosFirstSon: 5:07pm On Jun 04, 2023
Tinubu government is just about a week gone and everywhere don scatter

When your president is a cocaine sniffing dunce

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by obi4eze(m): 5:07pm On Jun 04, 2023
grin

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by nairalanda1(m): 5:09pm On Jun 04, 2023
LagosFirstSon:

I dont like tinubu, but how were we supposed to keep on paying for oil subsidy

Something that cost us 10trillion last year and has already.cost 7 trillion this year?

Oga i am serious

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by LagosFirstSon: 5:11pm On Jun 04, 2023
nairalanda1:

Something that cost us 10trillion last year and has already.cost 7 trillion this year?

Oga i am serious
I'm in full support of the fuel subsidy removal but making the pronouncement on the day of inauguration is madness

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by Parachoko: 5:11pm On Jun 04, 2023
Person wey no go work won't get paid

Simple as ABC
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by nairalanda1(m): 5:12pm On Jun 04, 2023
LagosFirstSon:
I'm in full support of the fuel subsidy removal but making the pronouncement on the day of inauguration is madness

Then stop.complaining

Plus the PIA set the removal in stone since.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by Strafudeen: 5:13pm On Jun 04, 2023
nairalanda1:

Oga i am serious

Oga, money was appropriated for money for subsidy up till end of June, wetin tinubu want do with the money?

He is a corrupt man. Simple

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by Patrickker(m): 5:15pm On Jun 04, 2023
I am not against the removal of fuel subsidy, but its timing was absolutely wrong. Provide palliatives first, then everything goes to rest.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by LagosFirstSon: 5:15pm On Jun 04, 2023
Strafudeen:

Oga, money was appropriated for money for subsidy up till end of June, wetin tinubu want do with the money?

Tinubu is called Thiefnibu for a reason

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by nairalanda1(m): 5:15pm On Jun 04, 2023
Strafudeen:

How do you expect marketers to pay for new stock when the old stock of subsidised fuel runs out?

Goverment is not giving them any extra money, remember?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by sapele914(m): 5:17pm On Jun 04, 2023
LagosFirstSon:

please stop exhibiting your ignorance, Tinubu did not remove any subsidy, you removed the subsidy yourself too much fanfare, when you passed the PIB Act in August 2021, & the president signed it into law.

So who are you purporting to blame for your ignorance?
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by Ofunaofu: 5:18pm On Jun 04, 2023
No sane Nigerian is in support of this unilateral decision to jerk up the price of fuel by over 300%

This Subsidy removal jargons are merely to deceive Nigerians

What just happened is fuel price hike. Plain and simple

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by Dafresh: 5:18pm On Jun 04, 2023
The strike is only for Obidents, na only Obidents de buy fuel
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by sapele914(m): 5:20pm On Jun 04, 2023
Dafresh:
The strike is only for Obidents, na only Obidents de buy fuel
Idiots way no fit give us electricity wan go on strike? Make Olodumare punish any of them, that tries that nonsense.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by Nightwolf1: 5:21pm On Jun 04, 2023
nairalanda1:

How do you expect marketers to pay for new stock when the old stock of subsidised fuel runs out?

That is business for you. Go and look for money to buy the new stock with the current price. Don't short-change the people by selling old stock with new price.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by sapele914(m): 5:22pm On Jun 04, 2023
LagosFirstSon:

Tinubu is called Thiefnibu for a reason
Because he is the Governor of your state that threw you, & has left you & your family in poverty all these years? Confused Almijiri

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by Nightwolf1: 5:24pm On Jun 04, 2023
Wahala be like naked wire. Tinubu didn't see it coming. He thought NLC is same as ASUU.🐧🐧

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by Savedday2: 5:24pm On Jun 04, 2023
Of what use is subsidy removal when we know that few individuals will still loot the money?

As far as am concerned, subsidy is the only thing the common man is gaining from the government.

Buhari increased the price of fuel he didn't use the money to do anything instead, he borrowed more money for looting.

Make them leave our subsidy for us!
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by Dafresh: 5:25pm On Jun 04, 2023
sapele914:
Idiots way no fit give us electricity wan go on strike? Make Olodumare punish any of them, that tries that nonsense.
Our transformer spoil dey talk say na 700k dem go use repair amm, before we de users don contribute 4k for each house hold take repair am dat one dey say na 1.2 million we pay am but de tin way de vex me be say after we contribute finish the usles NEPA people go come de collect monthly fee

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by sapele914(m): 5:25pm On Jun 04, 2023
Nightwolf1:

That is business for you. Go and look for money to buy the new stock with the current price. Don't short-change the people by selling old stock with new price.
They are waiting for your money, to use to pay for the new stock.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by sapele914(m): 5:27pm On Jun 04, 2023
Dafresh:

Our transformer spoil dey talk say na 700k dem go use repair amm, before we de users don contribute 4k for each house hold take repair am dat one dey say na 1.2 million we pay am but de tin way de vex me be say after we contribute finish the usles NEPA people go come de collect monthly fee
Yet, it is those same Demons, that say they want to go on, abi join the strike, because the people never revolt on their bald heads?

Even The NUEE in a notice signed by its acting general secretary, Dominic Igwebike, who is a known Obidient.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by YouandiAllofus: 5:27pm On Jun 04, 2023
If there is any union to take seriously, definitely not nepa!

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by Nightwolf1: 5:28pm On Jun 04, 2023
sapele914:
They are waiting for your money, to use to pay for the new stock.

They are thieves.😲
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by nairalanda1(m): 5:28pm On Jun 04, 2023
Nightwolf1:

In other words, scarcity by July.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by Strafudeen: 5:29pm On Jun 04, 2023
nairalanda1:

I'm not questioning the marketers, I'm asking tinubu what will happen to already voted money now that he has stopped subsidy....he obviously won't be paying that money to marketers so what will be do with it?
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by Dafresh: 5:30pm On Jun 04, 2023
sapele914:
Yet, it is those same Demons, that say they want to go on, abi join the strike, because the people never revolt on their bald heads?
they're wicked and heartless, they can take the light for no reason
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by Nice2023(m): 5:34pm On Jun 04, 2023
nairalanda1:

Oga i am serious

They tell u it cost 10trillion up until now,no evidence to show that they paid subsidy.

Nigeria is a scam.

Just like i used to say,I pity the very poor this will affect in the country.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by nairalanda1(m): 5:38pm On Jun 04, 2023
Nice2023:

They tell u it cost 10trillion up until now,no evidence to show that they pay subsidy.

Nigeria is a scam.

Just like used to say,I pity the very poor this will affect in the country.

If they were not paying subsidy we would havr been paying at least 400 naira per liter for fuel for over a year by now
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by nairalanda1(m): 5:40pm On Jun 04, 2023
Strafudeen:

I'm not questioning the marketers, I'm asking tinubu what will happen to already voted money now that he has stopped subsidy....he obviously won't be paying that money to marketers so what will be do with it?

That's the thing. It has been mostly paid.

But that money won't enable the matketers to buy new stock at the unsubsidized price.

Plus goverment owes nnpc 2.8 trillion in subsudy payments.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Electricity Workers To Embark On Nationwide Strike by Benekkk: 6:04pm On Jun 04, 2023
NEPA?
Wonders shall never end. Have they been working? So strange. Nobody will notice the difference.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Students Loan Board is Already Gazetted Since July 1972 / Stay Away From Igbo Land This Yuletide, Ekpa Warns Igbos In Diaspora / Distant Relative Of Tinubu Burst Into Tears While Lamenting Tinubu Empty Promise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.