Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,081 members, 7,818,238 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

List Of Popular Nigerian Pastors Who Left The Pulpit To Become Governors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / List Of Popular Nigerian Pastors Who Left The Pulpit To Become Governors (1369 Views)

Top List Of Former Governors Who Left High Domestic Debts For Successors (Photo) / Fact Check: Are Bishops, Pastors Who Attended Shettima's Unveiling Fake? / Tinubu: I Helped Aregbesola, Fayemi, Mimiko Become Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of Popular Nigerian Pastors Who Left The Pulpit To Become Governors by jerryayaebi2: 12:10am On Jun 05, 2023
Clergymen are believed to be called by God to serve humanity through the altar. Anything outside of church activities is considered a distraction to their divine calling.

Little wonder, some denominations don’t allow their pastors to participate in politics.

However, few Nigerian clergymen have been daring enough to step out of their comfort zone into the political sphere and have emerged as governors in three states.

1) Rev. Fr. Moses Orshio Adasu

First on the list is Very Rev. Fr. Moses Orshio Adasu, who was known for saying that politics is not a dirty game, but those who are in it for selfish reasons make it dirty.

He said: "I am in politics to baptise politics and make it pure".

The clergyman-turned-politician was elected the second Executive Governor of Benue State on 2 January 1992 under the platform of the Social Democratic Party (SDP).

2) Jolly Nyame

Jolly Tavoro Nyame, born on 25 December 1955, was Ordained a Reverend in the United Methodist Church of Nigeria. He was elected governor of Taraba state in 1992 after he joined the previous.

3) Reverend Father Hyacinth Alia

Rev Fr Hyacinth Iormem Alia upset the Catholic Church and was suspended in May 2022, after he announced his decision to get the governorship ticket of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Benue State.
Alia, who was with the Catholic Diocese of Gboko, emerged as the APC gubernatorial candidate and later won the March 18, governorship poll to become the second priest after Adasu to contest for the Benue state's seat of power.

The Revd. father won 473,933 votes ahead of his closest rival and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Titus Uba, who scored 223,913.

4) Pastor Umo Eno

Pastor Umo Eno is the founder of All Nations Christian Ministry International in Akwa Ibom State. The clergyman was the governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the winner of the March 18 gubernatorial election. Eno was declared the winner after he scored 354,348 to defeat his closest rivals.

Source - https://www.legit.ng/politics/1537600-list-clergymen-left-altar-governors/

Re: List Of Popular Nigerian Pastors Who Left The Pulpit To Become Governors by Praxis758: 3:03am On Jun 05, 2023
Human being corrupt politics.

However, it isn’t a sin for Christian clergymen to venture into politics. They should be purifiers by setting a Christ-like pattern of incorruptibility, courage and capacity.

They should resist compromise and beauty of sin.

Any clergy or Christian who plays dirty and atrocious politics is a criminal and such is/are not representing Christianity.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Popular Nigerian Pastors Who Left The Pulpit To Become Governors by Goodlady(f): 5:11am On Jun 05, 2023
Mtchew
Re: List Of Popular Nigerian Pastors Who Left The Pulpit To Become Governors by press9jatv: 6:01am On Jun 05, 2023
Politics needs to be sanitized in Nigeria political system of government
Re: List Of Popular Nigerian Pastors Who Left The Pulpit To Become Governors by marlow1962(m): 6:08am On Jun 05, 2023
Politicians and pastor I see no difference, same bunch of lying thieves.

1 Like

Re: List Of Popular Nigerian Pastors Who Left The Pulpit To Become Governors by richidinho(m): 6:18am On Jun 05, 2023
marlow1962:

Watch your mouth son!
Re: List Of Popular Nigerian Pastors Who Left The Pulpit To Become Governors by marlow1962(m): 6:22am On Jun 05, 2023
richidinho:

Watch your mouth son!
Sorry daddy, Are you also a thief?

2 Likes

Re: List Of Popular Nigerian Pastors Who Left The Pulpit To Become Governors by b3llo(m): 9:12am On Jun 05, 2023
It's a beautiful thing when people of diverse creed involve in Politics.
Re: List Of Popular Nigerian Pastors Who Left The Pulpit To Become Governors by Nobody: 10:07am On Jun 05, 2023
marlow1962:
My brother they are all the same o....both are scammer using different means to scam their gullible followers.

(1) (Reply)

Omokri Asked If Any Of The LP Legislators Rejected The Suvs Bought For Them / My Salary Is 50k - Nigeria Soldier Cries Out After Being Charged 70k Transport / Popular Robot Mimicry Actor Jadroita And Her Team Pays A Courtesy Visit To The F

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.