Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,024 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? (2886 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Sep 29, 2011
A former student, living in England, wrote to me recently. She is studying for her PhD in English literature at Oxford, so she's no dummy. She said she had returned to her childhood Christian faith and had taken the trouble to read Dawkins and the other new atheists and found their arguments shallow, aggressive, close minded and silly. She was surprised at the ignorance of otherwise smart people and dismayed by their aggressive tone.

It made me wonder whether atheists are angry and aggressive by accident or whether their anger and aggression is part of their belief system. It should be observed, first of all, that there must be plenty of atheists who are nice people. I'm sure there are lots of non believers who are polite, good natured, tolerant, easy going folks. Since this is so, I wonder where they get their idea of good manners and tolerance. Tolerance, good manners, respect for others, and all the civil virtues we value, are ultimately based in an underlying Christian world view. Christendom is a civilization rooted in the reliance on charity--which is self sacrificial love.

Some atheists might be nice now, but will they be nice for long? Why should an atheist be nice, tolerant, polite and self sacrificial? There is nothing at all in a secular, atheistic worldview which mandates or even suggests that there is value in such virtue. The only virtue in Darwinism as a world view is survival of the fittest.

There is such a thing as natural virtue. Within the pagan world it was considered virtuous to be loyal to one's country, one's tribe, one's family, but so what, that is just self interest. Jesus said as much when he commanded his disciples to love their enemies. "So what?" he said, "if you love those who love you back. The pagans do as much."

Can an atheist love his enemy? Once the Christian capital in the culture is used up and the residue of a Christian mentality is gone in a culture, it cannot be long before the atheist asks himself why on earth he should do something as silly as loving his enemy.

Anger and aggression has to, therefore, be not just a co-incidence with atheism, but it's consequence. In other words, anger and aggression is what flows naturally and inevitably from atheism. How can one love beauty, truth, goodness, grace, innocence, humility and every other virtue if one does not love God from which they come? Conversely, to hate God (for that is really what atheists do) must be, in the end, to hate beauty, goodness, truth, grace, innocence and every other virtue.

This end result of the descent into anger and aggression may not happen to every individual atheist, but it will happen at the cultural and societal level just as certainly as the sun sets at dusk. The French Revolution, the Russian Revolution, Communism and every secular, atheistic regime proves that atheism leads to anger, aggression and finally murder and genocide.

Then what shall we make of those religious people who fall into anger and aggression? This is lamentable, but it does not flow as a natural consequence of religion, but as an aberration from religion. An atheist who becomes aggressive and angry is only living out the end result of his philosophy. The religious person who becomes angry and aggressive is living out a contradiction to his philosophy. The first is being loyal to his principles and beliefs. The second is a hypocrite.

By Longenecker
Re: Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Sep 29, 2011
If you're angry at your doctor, your boss, your relative or your spouse, you can probably sit down and have a productive conversation about it. God, on the other hand, is probably not available to chat.

And yet people get angry at God all the time, especially about everyday disappointments, finds a new set of studies in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

It's not just religious folks, either. People unaffiliated with organized religion, atheists and agnostics also report anger toward God either in the past, or anger focused on a hypothetical image - that is, what they imagined God might be like - said lead study author Julie Exline, Case Western Reserve University psychologist.

In studies on college students, atheists and agnostics reported more anger at God during their lifetimes than believers. A separate study also found this pattern among bereaved individuals. This phenomenon is something Exline and colleagues will explore more in future research, which is open to more participants.

It seems that more religious people are less likely to feel angry at God and more likely to see his intentions as well-meaning, Exline's research found.

And younger people tend to be angrier at God than older people, Exline said. She says some of the reasons she's seen people the angriest at God include rejection from preferred colleges and sports injuries preventing high schoolers from competing.

The age difference may have to do with cultural norms, she said. Perhaps previous generations were taught to not question God, whereas younger people today don't have any qualms about it. On the other hand, it might be that as people get older, they learn how to handle these types of feelings better.

Anger at God can strongly resemble feelings you may have against another person, Exline found. God may seem treacherous or cruel when bad things happen, just like another individual might. Your anger may fester even more when there's no good reason for the negative event, such as a natural disaster or a disease, to occur. And strong, longstanding negative emotions of any kind can lead to physical ailments.

Moreover, distress at God is associated with mental health symptoms. Exline and colleagues found that among cancer survivors interviewed once and then again a year later, those who were angry at God at both points in time had the poorest mental and physical health. But the study cannot prove whether anger at God made them feel worse or that feeling worse made them more angry at God.

Just like with people in your life, you can respect and feel anger toward God at the same time. And you can move toward forgiveness by reframing the way you view the negative event: Perhaps God was not responsible for it or that he acted in that way for a reason.

"When people trust that God cares about them and has positive intentions toward them, even if they can’t understand what those intentions or meanings are, it tends to help to resolve anger," she said.

Granted, these studies aren't definitive; they are steps forward in this emerging field of inquiry and not the final word on the subject.

But we see it in the real world, too. Jeff Crim listens to people's anger at God all the time - specifically, people who are dying. He's a chaplain and bereavement coordinator North Star Hospice in Calhoun, Georgia, and has found that it's important to find a way to express your anger at God in order to deal with it.

Expressing anger can be cathartic, and help you move on, but how you do it is deeply personal, Crim said. Crim himself will speak aloud to God, but others find solace in a trusted spiritual leader or other person to confide in about their anger at a higher power.

"What they need is a safe place to express their anger, to know that their anger has been heard and listened to," he said.

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/01/anger-at-god-common-even-among-atheists/
Re: Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? by harakiri(m): 10:02pm On Sep 29, 2011
This is coming from someone who was dislodged from the ISLAMIC section due to his incessant hate filled threads directed at moslems. This is coming from someone who opens threads attacking Catholics and Atheists on a daily basis. This is coming from someone who is fully self employed in the religious section and his unofficial duties is to scavenge the internet 23hours a day looking for material to support his delusions. This is coming from someone who accuses Moslems of being intolerant and yet, he can't tolerate catholics,moslems or even Atheists who have done him no wrong. To understand why I keep calling him a hypocrite, take the liberty of checking his browsing history over the last 72hrs. I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Sep 29, 2011
Here comes the stalker.

Just proving my point, angry & aggressive fellow  grin

I can recommend anger management classes for you and it is free of charge.

Read the tasters below :

“A man of quick temper acts foolishly, and a man of evil devices is hated.” (Proverbs 14:17, ESV).

“Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly.” (Proverbs 14:29, ESV).

“A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, but he who is slow to anger quiets contention.” (Proverbs 15:18, ESV).

“Whoever is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.” (Proverbs 16:32, ESV).
Re: Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? by harakiri(m): 10:25pm On Sep 29, 2011
@Frosbel, Did you remember all these bible verses when you were attacking moslems IN THEIR reserved section? Did you remember to keep your anger in check when you took it up on yourself to curse,insult,belittle and castigate them on a daily basis? Do you remember these verses when you call Atheists fools? Is it not that same bible that damns you to hell for doing such? Are you not the one that keeps provoking people and yet when you are given a befitting response you turn around to accuse that person of what you started. Sometimes, you go a step further by opening a thread (like you've done now). Are you really this hypocritical or is this an act? You are the one who had to be flushed out like a pest from the Islamic section due to your aggressive hate filled threads and you still have the guts to open a thread on aggression (after you deliberately forment trouble). You are a real troll
Re: Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Sep 29, 2011
If you keep on like this , a heart attack is not far off.

Go to bed , young boy  grin grin grin

Re: Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Sep 29, 2011
Baby Frosbel! Are you happy now? grin

Re: Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? by mazaje(m): 10:36pm On Sep 29, 2011
^^^

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Sep 29, 2011
Re: Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? by thehomer: 10:47pm On Sep 29, 2011
frosbel:

Here comes the stalker.

Just proving my point, angry & aggressive fellow  grin

I can recommend anger management classes for you and it is free of charge.

Read the tasters below :

“A man of quick temper acts foolishly, and a man of evil devices is hated.” (Proverbs 14:17, ESV).

“Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly.” (Proverbs 14:29, ESV).

“A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, but he who is slow to anger quiets contention.” (Proverbs 15:18, ESV).

“Whoever is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.” (Proverbs 16:32, ESV).

frosbel, why are you so insecure that you must bother and lie about people who do not agree with you? Aren't you reading your Bible often enough? I recommend to you 6 hours of daily Bible study and 10 Hail Marys per hour for the next 3 days. I hope you find solace in your insecurity.
Re: Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Sep 29, 2011
The gang of angry atheists now on the attack. cheesy

When I tell people that these guys are militant and evangelical by nature , they assume I am joking. These guys are packed to the brim with rage , hate and confusion.

Anyway in case you have a short memory I do not do hail Marys. grin

Have a blessed sleep !!!
Re: Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 29, 2011
frosbel:

The gang of angry atheists now on the attack. cheesy
When I tell people that these guys are militant and evangelical by nature , they assume I am joking. These guys are packed to the brim with rage , hate and confusion.
Anyway in case you have a short memory I do not do hail Marys. grin
Have a blessed sleep !!!

I'll let this guy tell you what everyone has been trying to tell you.

Re: Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Sep 29, 2011

They have lost the plot and now in total disarray.  grin

Atheists and their genocidal father Karl Marx never cease to amuse me cheesy

I guess a retreat and regroup after licking their wounds , is a better option for them at this stage .

[img]http://1.bp..com/_y8ag4VGcCHo/S4pPPgFeR5I/AAAAAAAAGRk/G6mtJRtAMjQ/s400/atheism.png[/img]
Re: Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? by manmustwac(m): 11:30pm On Sep 29, 2011
@Frosbel
The sole purpose of this topic oš to provoke athiests right? Frosbel you are just a bloody nuisance. LOCKED! angry
Re: Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Sep 29, 2011
Locked, why

Delusion has overtaken you.

(1)

Is Virgin Mary Omnipotent, Omnipresent And Omniscient? / 10 Questions For Theists / Why Some Pastors Refuse To Have More Than One Branch - Freemanan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.