Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,649 members, 7,809,453 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:53 AM

Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures (8186 Views)

Pictures From Abakaliki Flyover Underconstruction / Akpabio: I Returned From The Land Of The Dead, PMB Called Me While In Hospital / Police In Abakaliki Kills Unarmed Man (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures by SouthEast1: 9:55pm On Sep 29, 2011
http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/okey-egboluche/abakaliki-a-land-of-untapped-treasures.html

Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures

Okey Egboluche
    September 28, 2011

Ebonyi State, South-East Nigeria, popularly known as the Salt of the Nation, came into existence on October 1, 1996. It was carved out of the Old Enugu and Abia States. On creation, the new state chose Abakaliki, a prominent town in pre-independence Nigeria, as its capital city. Since then, the modest city of Abakaliki has become a beehive of activities as it has continuously witnessed an influx of people from all corners of the state (politicians, civil servants, students, and businessmen) as well from the far-flung regions of Nigeria. It has also become a major stop-over town for transporters/passengers en route Northern Nigeria, especially those dealing on farm produce.
alt
Photo 1: A panoramic view of Ebonyi State Govt. House, Abakaliki

Abakaliki is located less than two hours from Uburu, a town renowned for its salt deposits, and just about an hour from Enugu, the capital of South-Eastern Nigeria. Being the nearest major town to Enugu has also meant that many business ventures easily spread to the city. As a result, Abakaliki can justifiably be regarded as Enugu extension.

The city has also witnessed quantum development in infrastructure. There is a state university, the Ebonyi State University, EBSU; three tertiary health institutions: the Federal Medical Centre, FMC, the Ebonyi State University Teaching Hospital, EBSUTH (both of which have been merged to become a Federal Teaching Hospital), and the National Fistula Centre; a federal secretariat; the ultra-modern Abakpa Market; two TV stations; two radio stations; the gigantic 18-storey shopping complex, located around Presco Junction, which is nearing completion; as well as an array of banks. Also, the Federal University, Ikwo, the Federal Polytechnic, Uwana, and the now moribund Eagle Cement Company located at Nkalagu, though not in Abakaliki, share proximity with the city.

The major roads in the city are very accessible and adorned with an array of beautiful flowers. The major roads are Ogoja Road (now Sam Egwu Road), Water Works Road, Ezza Road, and Afikpo Road.

Abakaliki is well known for its prowess in arable farming, especially in rice (hence the name, Abakaliki rice) and yam. It also has a thriving quarry industry. But beyond these, the South-Eastern city has other sides too. The indigenes are a very hospitable people. This hospitable disposition has also been imbibed by its residents. For this reason, a visitor to the city has nothing to worry about as he is sure to be welcomed with such greetings as ‘Jokwa!’, ‘Deeje!’, ‘Tokwehu!’, or ‘Idi ike!’ as well as a sumptuous meal of specially prepared Abakaliki rice. For those who cherish fresh palm wine, it does not cost much in the city and complimenting it with readily available bush meat will give you an experience you will never forget. One would also be lucky to get a taste of local delicacies like groundnut soup or Esisa soup with either garri or fufu.

The hospitable disposition of Abakaliki indigenes is also clearly demonstrated in the city’s thriving hospitality industry. The city boasts of myriad relaxation spots for those who want to feel the touch of style. These include Nkwegu Ugbala - The Grand Arena, Heritage Restaurant, Flavours, Salt Lake Night Club, Diamond Point, Prisons Club, and so on. For those who enjoy fast foods, your best bets include Crunchies, City Cheff, City Exotic, Veecee Foods, Mr. Biggs, Feed Well Restaurant, among others. Abakaliki Golf Course, located along Ezza Road, and the lawn tennis court are good leisure spots. The stadium hosts regular sports activities, especially football. If you need to sleep over in the town, which you cannot afford not to, then there are such exquisite hotels and guest houses as Grace Court Hotel, Salt Spring Hotel, Salt Lake Hotel, Eagle Royal Hotel, Ebonyi Hotels, Osborn La Palm Royal Resort, and so on. And if you like them cheap, you’re your choices would be Denco Hotels, EBSU Guest House, Benkol Hotel, Metro View Hotel, and so on. Whichever one you choose, you are sure to have a good time.
alt
Photo 2: Osborn La Palm Hotel, Abakaliki

The newest of them all, Osborn La Palm Resort, is indeed in a class of its own. Opened to the public on May 28, 2011, the hotel’s natural ambience and grandeur, comparable to the best in Nigeria, would charm any visitor. Its avenues are dotted with beautiful palm trees and assorted flowers, making the environment very natural and full of life. The rooms on offer at the hotel include the presidential suite with kitchenette, the executive double suite, the executive single suite, diplomatic double and single suite with tastefully furnished rooms, bathrooms, intercom and an indoor swimming pool. There is a 24-hour service, uninterrupted electric power supply, wireless internet service connection, and a wide range of continental dishes for all classes of guests.

For health and fitness aficionados, the hotel has an ultra modern gymnasium which is open to the public. Interestingly, the hotel’s executive double suite has a mini-gym and Jacuzzi. It also has spa treatment, an attraction which only a few hotels in Nigeria can boast of. A visitor can have body massage, steam bath and sauna. The hotel management promises even more packages soon.

Speaking on why she left Lagos and relocated to Abakaliki, the Manager of Osborn La Palm Resort, Mrs. Dikibo, who had a stint with Terrace Green Hotel located at Ajao Estate, off International Airport Road, Lagos, and whose experience in hotel management has come handy in the day to day running of Osborn, said: “It was an adventure, it made me wiser. As it is said, a traveller is wiser than a grey-haired man sitting at a place. My travelling has exposed me to people and it has been a wonderful experience in Abakaliki. I have no regrets.” Her promise to guests is “excellent service”.

So, come to Abakaliki and experience life in a virgin land full of opportunities for the discerning mind.

1 Like

Re: Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures by SouthEast1: 10:03pm On Sep 29, 2011
It is a shame that Ebonyi has been perpetually (and ignorantly, I might add) under-rated by many, including myself. I am very refreshed and excited to read this article. Finding an 18-storey building in Ebonyi is surprising. I do not know how many Nigerian states can boast of an 18-storey plus structure, excluding Lagos and Oyo (Cocoa House in Ibadan), and of course Abuja.

Imagine a Lagos-based investor of Ijaw origin (going by the name Dikibo) exiting Lagos to invest in Ebonyi? This is sweet music in my ears

Can anyone post more pictures of Ebonyi, especially of Abakiliki? Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures by ak47mann(m): 10:40pm On Sep 29, 2011
thats a nice pix of abakaliki didn't know ebony was this nice  shocked shocked with nice hotels and fast food joints
i must visit that place one of my mate was telling me that they got one of the best hospital in abakaliki it was own by Federal govt b4 state took over ebony state university hospital am talking abt so governor elechi is doing well??
Re: Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures by ak47mann(m): 1:31am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures by SouthEast1: 2:43pm On Oct 03, 2011
^^^^^^
Photos, please.
Re: Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures by abagoro(m): 5:29pm On Oct 03, 2011
I've written it earlier that Ebonyi is the finest State in the SE.2nd only to Cross-River if you join SS and SE.They are unbelievably very rich in solid minerals but the problem remains bad governance.Abakaliki is today a very modern and spaced out city compared with other cities across Nigeria.I have been there like 20 times in the last 5 years but yet to reach there in 2011.I normally lodged at a beautiful 6 storey hotel with functional lift owned by the former Governor Egwu.owned by the former Governor Egwu.
Re: Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures by Adejoro74: 4:43pm On Jul 22, 2013
Where are the Ebonyians? Come and promote your state.
Still a largely rustic state but with much ptentials

Re: Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures by Adejoro74: 4:50pm On Jul 22, 2013
Ebonyi

Re: Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures by 123gist(m): 4:21pm On Jan 06, 2015
Ebonyi I must say is a virgin state looking for entrepreneurs and investors to harness their potentials, if only you know how much Julius Berger is making from their excavation site at Afikpo.

And for their rice I must say it is one of the best I have come across. I can remember one of my friend told me when you cook Abakaliki rice with dried fish and palm oil, someone that is 15 yards away will be perceiving the aroma...............lol
Re: Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures by Nobody: 8:20am On Mar 31, 2015
I'm currently living in Ebonyi State and I must say, what endears me to this state is the serene and simple lifestyle.
Abagoro I really don't understand what you mean by 'finest' cos that's totally far from it Let me do a quick rundown of my perception of Ebonyi state.
Aside Abakaliki, Ebonyi isn't worth our mention, so I'd limit my observation to the capital city (don't get me wrong, I 'm a traveler and I'v visited most other towns here including Afikpo, Ohaozara(deputy govs town) and Ikwo (the Governor's town). The good things they have here are :
>Housing. Yes, you can't be short of decent houses here,depending on ur taste and pocket. You'd find lotsa high rise residential buildings here.
> Hospitality : maybe just in abakaliki, cos I treat assault cases alot at Gen Hospital Ikwo where I work(as a doctor) , and I hear it's common in many other towns
> Cheap Hotels : with 2k you would get a decent room that would have gone for 4k in other states.
> Frankly, that's about all
Re: Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures by Nobody: 8:45am On Mar 31, 2015
On the flip side, compared to other easter state(yes I told you I'm a traveler, I have been to and spent some time in all other eastern states), abakaliki is behind in these :
>Night life: Aside the hotels that offer bar services with entertainment, there are no stand up night clubs around. pllllsss a broda needs to unwind after a long hard week.
>Infrastructure : skewed
>Electricity: being neighbors with Enugu who own the DISCO and enjoy steady power, I expect nothing less
>Potable Water:yes you are the salt lake city but please the water here is just too hard What happened to water processing?
> Recreation : Aside amusement park which tbh isn't just it, nothing else. The stadium is not worth your eyes.
>Super Marche : I hate to say this but I still do my shopping at Shoprite in Enugu whenever I go over for the weekends. Yes abakaliki has some stores but nothing lIke a super market.

Let me pause here.
It's not all gloomy though, as I'm getting due gratification for my stay here. The pay is good for a doctor, hehehe but ofcus it's not all about the money

(1) (Reply)

Bomb Scare At AP-Plaza In Wuse 2 Abuja / Northern Governors Support State Of Emergency Rule In 3 States / Itsekiri Urge FG To Deal With Militants And Their Sponsors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.