Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,062 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Does Turning Your Car AC On Actually Increase Fuel Consumption? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Turning Your Car AC On Actually Increase Fuel Consumption? (610 Views)

Does Car A/C Increase Fuel Consumption / Can Bad Injector Mouth Causes Black Smoke Or Increase Fuel Consumption / How Does One Calculate Fuel Consumption Based On Distance Covered By A Vehicle?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Turning Your Car AC On Actually Increase Fuel Consumption? by Godbless9ija(m): 8:24pm On Jun 06, 2023
I have always heard people complain that turning car AC On increase fuel consumption. I always turn my car AC On and I don't see any significant difference with regards to fuel consumption.
Is this really true?
What's the physics behind it?
Re: Does Turning Your Car AC On Actually Increase Fuel Consumption? by eddynaira125: 8:27pm On Jun 06, 2023
Oya, over to you, half baked Nigeria physicist
Re: Does Turning Your Car AC On Actually Increase Fuel Consumption? by solmusdesigns: 8:37pm On Jun 06, 2023
Yes it does

Your car electric system is powered by your alternator which is powered by your engine

Ac has pumps connected to condensers that uses power

The more the power usage the more the more your engine performance

To understand these... Always check your car RMP on the speedometer when the car is idle and you on your AC

Re: Does Turning Your Car AC On Actually Increase Fuel Consumption? by vastolord4(m): 9:40pm On Jun 06, 2023
solmusdesigns:
Yes it does

Your car electric system is powered by your alternator which is powered by your engine

To understand these... Always check your car RMP on the speedometer when the car is idle and you on your AC

He's talking about fuel consumption..
No sig diff cos your car is well maintained and when the ac is on, there's less "drag"

What is drag? Think of it like you're swimming through water, you need to push through water while a fish will swim effortlessly cos of body design

When you use your ac, all glasses are up and you don't need much force to push through the wind but In a the case where you have glasses wounddown, not just the body of the car is passing through the wind but the other interior components cos the wind enters the car. The car needs more power to fight through remember that other components are now involved

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Turning Your Car AC On Actually Increase Fuel Consumption? by solmusdesigns: 9:45pm On Jun 06, 2023
vastolord4:

He's talking about fuel consumption..
No sig diff cos your car is well maintained and when the ac is on, there's less "drag"

What is drag? Think of it like you're swimming through water, you need to push through water while a fish will swim effortlessly cos of body design

When you use your ac, all glasses are up and you don't need much force to push through the wind but In a the case where you have glasses wounddown, not just the body of the car is passing through the wind but the other interior components cos the wind enters the car. The car needs more power to fight through remember that other components are now involved

I am not talking about car drag

I practically fixed my car AC a four cylinder Honda EOD... I needed to work on the idle engine run as it is a manual

Low RMP and AC kills off the engine especially on hold up

High engine RMP makes the engine run but burns too much fuel which overall cost me more money

Automatic Cars have their slow running or idle regulated by the ECU so whether you have factory fitted AC on or not it consume same amount of fuel
Re: Does Turning Your Car AC On Actually Increase Fuel Consumption? by fineboynl(m): 8:19am On Jun 07, 2023
solmusdesigns:
Yes it does

what my ac is on on idle i still get between 650-750rmp regardless of ac or not. Car is till silent if you stand around the car you won’t even know of the engine is running. Most especially if the thermostat has not kicked the fan.

The only I know is a cold start the engine rmp at 1000. But once the car warm up it drop to 700rmp. Regardless of ac or not. That why i like v6. Those 4cyd and small engine struggles to power aircon
Re: Does Turning Your Car AC On Actually Increase Fuel Consumption? by solmusdesigns: 8:23am On Jun 07, 2023
fineboynl:
what my ac is on on idle i still get between 650-750rmp regardless of ac or not. Car is till silent if you stand around the car you won’t even know of the engine is running. Most especially if the thermostat has not kicked the fan.

The only I know is a cold start the engine rmp at 1000. But once the car warm up it drop to 700rmp. Regardless of ac or not. That why i like v6. Those 4cyd and small engine struggles to power aircon

A four cylinder VVT used by Camry Big daddy and some Muscle are also like that..

The Idle is wired to the ECU Brainbox and it automatically regulate itself

But any mistake to tamper with the idle from the accelerator would cause problems

Anyways normal car owners don't need to lower idle or worry about fuel and AC

It's most UBEr and Bolt ride that need lower fuel
Re: Does Turning Your Car AC On Actually Increase Fuel Consumption? by TinubuShet(m): 8:54am On Jun 07, 2023
This arguement are for people wey get cars, I'm out
Re: Does Turning Your Car AC On Actually Increase Fuel Consumption? by Elsueno: 10:36am On Jun 07, 2023
Well obviously there is a significant difference, try measuring Ur MPG with & without AC...

But depending on ur pocket, it might not mean much...But to me, for example an extra 5-10km of distance traveled without AC is much.. Though I never hesitate to use it in hot 🥵 weather.. Afterall, why should I be sweating inside car when AC dey functional

(1) (Reply)

2005 Camry 08 At 2.3m / Honda DC Fuel Suckholic / What Consumes Fuel In A Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.