Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,982 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:29 AM

Why Are States Reducing Work Days - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are States Reducing Work Days (1778 Views)

Fuel Subsidy: Kwara Govt. Reduces Work Days For Civil Servants To 3 Times A Week / Fuel Hike: Kwara Govt Reduces Work Days To 3 / Why Are States PDP Are On The Verge Of Winning Are Considered Inclusive Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are States Reducing Work Days by malcom1X: 5:42am On Jun 07, 2023
I am not in the civil service.
I want to know why states are reducing work days.
Is it that they don't work there?
How will the state function?

It's just a simple question I need answer to.

Is there a positive side to this policy thereby making civil servants to engage in something else that will help them raise make an extra cash?

If there is then I think it's cheating. The civil servants are already employed and getting paid by the government.
The business men and women are not employed by the government.
The civil servants will be entering business with an unfair advantage.

So giving this civil servants free time to engage in business will flood the market and help drive down prices.

Therefore no one benefits

This is early morning I don't want to make economic analysis. I'm tired, can someone reply me.
Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by Femmyfamous4u(m): 6:14am On Jun 07, 2023
It is humane policy to assuage the sufferings of people based on increased price of petrol.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by Blue3k(m): 6:17am On Jun 07, 2023
malcom1X:
I The civil servants will be entering business with an unfair advantage.

So giving this civil servants free time to engage in business will flood the market and help drive down prices.

Your logic is questionable at the end. How do you as consumer not benefit from falling prices in goods? The fact you're saying this in an inflationary period is even stranger. Nobody is preventing private sector workers from getting a second job or gig work.

I thought your point would be about them maybe getting paid 5 days pay to do 3 days work ripping off tax payers. You could even argue reducing work week may lead to backlogs in getting whatever services they may provide.

Is there a positive side to this policy thereby making civil servants to engage in something else that will help them raise make an extra cash?

You answered your own question in your thought experiment.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by Iamzik: 6:34am On Jun 07, 2023
Femmyfamous4u:
It is humane policy to assuage the sufferings of people based on increased price of petrol.

For how long?
Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by relaxandsmile: 6:42am On Jun 07, 2023
Most civil service jobs is just to help people to survive. They are not doing much for the state.
Who dash doctors those leverage of days off.

10 Likes

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by seanfer(m): 6:48am On Jun 07, 2023
Working 3 days does not mean the offices will be closed. There will be rosters, if you come to work today I come tomorrow.
My office applied this strategy during the Covid and last December’s cash crunch.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by Nairalander248: 6:56am On Jun 07, 2023
malcom1X:

If there is then I think it's cheating. The civil servants are already employed and getting paid by the government.

This is early morning I don't want to make economic analysis. I'm tired, can someone reply me.

Why pained? They want to reduce the hardship imposed by Tinubu led admin. That's just it.

I had a blueprint for people in government...

I would reduce the work time, maybe 7-12 then 12-5 pattern, reduce the pay by 10% then employ same number of people working in this pattern and that will reduce unemployment and improve productivity...

1 Like

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by Babaflenjor: 6:58am On Jun 07, 2023
Ooo
Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by EponObi: 7:00am On Jun 07, 2023
Before subsidy removal, 5 days/week work = #30k min wage = #200 pump price

After subsidy removal, 3 days/week work = #30k min wage = #500 pump price.

States doing this should be commended. More accolade to those increasing the min wage a bit. Kwara and Edo governments have done well.

Work days reduction is only temporary arrangement. Maybe they will implement it until the economy picks up in the next 2-3 years because I doubt Asiwaju will divert our usual subsidy loan to pay workers. He already say the money is going to healthcare and education.

On the side note, I doubt the state workers will utilize their off days to make more income though. Civil workers are the most lazy and unenterprising bunch in this country. Most will just use it to gossip, sleep, f*ck and make more babies. grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by solmusdesigns: 7:35am On Jun 07, 2023
The earlier you know Civil Servants and Politicians are ripping us all the better

2 Likes

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by lwisee: 7:42am On Jun 07, 2023
I've said it before the civil service workforce is more of a scam and liability to government.
Most of them practically does nothing other than gossip. You see duplication of roles in most ministries and most of the employment are political.
For the states to reduce the working from 5 days to 3 shows that most of them are not actually needed for effective governance.
If you are a company worker and you manager tells you to come to office 3 days in a week, definitely you will work from home for the remaining 2 days.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by marlow1962(m): 7:45am On Jun 07, 2023
solmusdesigns:
The earlier you know Civil Servants and Politicians are ripping us all the better
Civil servants are not ripping anybody off, they are the ones actually begging to be paid crumbs.
40k min wage signed by obaseki is just useless to me, bro do you know how much I spend on food
Do you know how much to put petrol in my car everyday
Do you know how much public transport swallows everyday.
40k no even reach person chop.
Family man with children and bills to take care of na him you wn they give 40k, na 40k you go take pay fees, pay house rent, pay this ,pay that.
Nigerians are living in HELL on earth, we borrow rubbish from other countries but we can never borrow act of good living.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by solmusdesigns: 7:48am On Jun 07, 2023
marlow1962:

Civil servants are not ripping anybody off, they are the ones actually begging to be paid crumbs.
40k min wage signed by obaseki is just useless to me, bro do you know how much I spend on food
Do you know how much to put petrol in my car everyday
Do you know how much public transport swallows everyday.
40k no even reach person chop.
Family man with children and bills to take care of na him you wn they give 40k, na 40k you go take pay fees, pay house rent, pay this ,pay that.
Nigerians are living in HELL on earth, we borrow rubbish from other countries but we can never borrow act of good living.

Hahaha

Nobody earns Minimum wage bro.. not even cleaners and messengers... Infact nobody starts from Level one , it's just minimum wage for calculating over all wage

Now for Civil Servants... Non of them work for Salary alone, they live of other means and allowances and they don't work as hard as private staff

You can go to the secetariat to confirm

When budgets are made for each ministry share some part from Minister, Perm Sec , down to drivers

2 Likes

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by DesChyko: 7:50am On Jun 07, 2023
It kind of makes sense. They can work remotely too.

1 Like

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by CodeTemplar: 8:52am On Jun 07, 2023
To allow worker go to farm and other manual works that actually boost GDP and helps increase supply of things money is meant to buy. Without that move, it is inflation all the way.

1 Like

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by bigpicture001: 8:52am On Jun 07, 2023
Femmyfamous4u:

u hv never tried to sort out one or two things at any government office..if u do..u will know its counter productive....

u may need to come up to 5x with 15 transport each to just sign a paper...this is because a whole lot of people will outcrowd government offices for their services...and remember 4pm is still 4pm...tiime not extended in days they even come to work..

so small thing they are close without it getting to ur turn...u come again..nd again and again..till it becomes a scrmable..and then we are back to the 70's

3 Likes

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by Femmyfamous4u(m): 9:01am On Jun 07, 2023
bigpicture001:

u hv never tried to sort out one or two things at any government office..if u do..u will know its counter productive....

u may need to come up to 5x with 15 transport each to just sign a paper...this is because a whole lot of people will outcrowd government offices for their services...and remember 4pm is still 4pm...tiime not extended in days they even come to work..

so small thing they are close without it getting to ur turn...u come again..nd again and again..till it becomes a scrmable..and then we are back to the 70's

You're right. What do they do really? Gossip for several hours.
Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by omowolewa: 9:13am On Jun 07, 2023
My problem is population growth not even that.

You give holiday with money to buy protective equipment, then deit no balance
Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by malcom1X: 10:59am On Jun 07, 2023
Blue3k:

Your logic is questionable at the end. How do you as consumer bot benefit from falling prices in goods? The fact you're saying this in an inflationary period is even stranger. Nobody is preventing private sector workers from getting a second job or gig work.

I thought your point would be about them maybe getting paid 5 days pay to do 3 days work ripping off tax payers. You could even argue reducing work week may lead to backlogs in getting whatever services they may provide.

You answered your own question in your thought experiment.

Dude it was early in the morning. I didn't want to go through all that. I just woke up.

Maybe I'll write on that later.

Maybe the state should do a no work no pay policy in them.
Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by malcom1X: 11:00am On Jun 07, 2023
bigpicture001:

Yes, you'll wait for 2 weeks because the person who's supposed to sign the documents does not go to work
Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by OloYeOfEgbE: 12:31pm On Jun 07, 2023
Sit at home Don dey sweet everybody..

Hhahahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by mrvitalis(m): 1:22pm On Jun 07, 2023
EponObi:
Before subsidy removal, 5 days/week work = #30k min wage = #200 pump price

After subsidy removal, 3 days/week work = #30k min wage = #500 pump price.

States doing this should be commended. More accolade to those increasing the min wage a bit. Kwara and Edo governments have done well.

Work days reduction is only temporary arrangement. Maybe they will implement it until the economy picks up in the next 2-3 years because I doubt Asiwaju will divert our usual subsidy loan to pay workers. He already say the money is going to healthcare and education.

On the side note, I doubt the state workers will utilize their off days to make more income though. Civil workers are the most lazy and unenterprising bunch in this country. Most will just use it to gossip, sleep, f*ck and make more babies. grin

Taking that money to healthcare and education is going to be a disaster ....very big one

Don't get me wrong ooh health and education are super important , priority for any government

But it makes zero sense economically for a nation using 96% of revenue to service debt to borrow and build hospitals and schools ....as good as this project are they can't break even and pay back their loan

This would only increase debt servicing without increasing revenues ,..which would leave us in worse condition

Every loan now just go towards areas that guarantees revenue

My advice has been give soft loans to manufacturers in export oriented products and import substitution sectors

This would grow GDP provide direct jobs increase GDP

1 Like

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by malcom1X: 9:14pm On Jun 07, 2023
mrvitalis:

Taking that money to healthcare and education is going to be a disaster ....very big one

Don't get me wrong ooh health and education are super important , priority for any government

But it makes zero sense economically for a nation using 96% of revenue to service debt to borrow and build hospitals and schools ....as good as this project are they can't break even and pay back their loan

This would only increase debt servicing without increasing revenues ,..which would leave us in worse condition

My advice has been give soft loans to manufacturers in export oriented products and import substitution sectors

My problem is laziness on the part of the government.
How do you vet those that are trying to get the soft lone?
Should the government contract a private entity to do the work for them
Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by ambale(m): 9:54pm On Jun 07, 2023
seanfer:
Working 3 days does not mean the offices will be closed. There will be rosters, if you come to work today I come tomorrow.
My office applied this strategy during the Covid and last December’s cash crunch.

But you know this is the best way to aid unproductivity

Even the work from home has been flagged down by many foreign companies, well let's hope things come back to normal on time
Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by VinnyBaba: 9:59pm On Jun 07, 2023
OP

To save workers from spending their Salaries on Car Fuel and Transport Fares. sad

Its a LEGALIZED Sit at Home. 😄
Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by mrvitalis(m): 4:32am On Jun 08, 2023
malcom1X:

My problem is laziness on the part of the government.
How do you vet those that are trying to get the soft lone?
Should the government contract a private entity to do the work for them
Loan the money to banks say at 3% interest on the condition banks would loan it to particular sectors at a particular interest rate

Vetting people is bank work let them do it
Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by Houseontherock1: 4:34am On Jun 08, 2023
malcom1X:

While People in the informal sector can adjust their prices to reflect the economy, those formally employed are limited to their wages and salaries. Salary has not increased, yet the cost of a super essential commodity like petrol has almost tripled/litre. Number of working days and working pattern review will help them save transportation money which they can use for other essentials because 2 days respite won't necessarily give them time to do business. It is a temporary relief while they await the upward review of salary so that work can go on again
Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by seanfer(m): 6:01am On Jun 08, 2023
ambale:

But you know this is the best way to aid unproductivity

Even the work from home has been flagged down by many foreign companies, well let's hope things come back to normal on time

We all know that civil servants in Nigeria are going to work just to mark attendance.
Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by LordAdam16: 7:02am On Jun 08, 2023
mrvitalis:

Vit, it is a classic case of the blind leading the blind.

The fellows asking for higher wages are the most unproductive beings walking the earth. You want to earn $200 in a country whose entire agricultural export is less than $2B. $2B from a country with 210m people and you think you deserve $200 for "good living" like "other countries" to push paper in a secretariat.

A country of 210m people generated non-oil exports worth $4.8B in 2022 and $3.5B in 2021. Estonia, a country of just 1.3m people generated $12B in 2021. Cambodia, a backwater Asian country, exports more value in only knit sweaters and cases than our entire non-oil export haul.

But these same unproductive fellas expect to live like royalty simply because they exist.

They don't care how the sausage is made, they just want to see huge alert on the 28th.

The health and education that Mr expects the "subsidy savings" to be channeled to will have to be subsidized of course. Otherwise, the minimum wage has to be increased again. And sure enough, he'd want work for only 1 day now to "cushion the effects of inflation".

Tinubu is humoring this tasteless joke for sustained access to the treasury.

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by mrvitalis(m): 7:21am On Jun 08, 2023
LordAdam16:

Vit, it is a classic case of the blind leading the blind.

The fellows asking for higher wages are the most unproductive beings walking the earth. You want to earn $200 in a country whose entire agricultural export is less than $2B. $2B from a country with 210m people and you think you deserve $200 for "good living" like "other countries" to push paper in a secretariat.

A country of 210m people generated non-oil exports worth $4.8B in 2022 and $3.5B in 2021. Estonia, a country of just 1.3m people generated $12B in 2021. Cambodia, a backwater Asian country, exports more value in only knit sweaters and cases than our entire non-oil export haul.

But these same unproductive fellas expect to live like royalty simply because they exist.

They don't care how the sausage is made, they just want to see huge alert on the 28th.

The health and education that Mr expects the "subsidy savings" to be channeled to will have to be subsidized of course. Otherwise, the minimum wage has to be increased again. And sure enough, he'd want work for only 1 day now to "cushion the effects of inflation".

Tinubu is humoring this tasteless joke for sustained access to the treasury.

-Lord
Nigerians majority are socialist masquerading as capitalist they want government to build government factory's employ them and pay them good wage

When you tell them his figures about Estonia and the rest they think it's government job to build those factories worse still the people in government don't even know any better

Remember obi debate with osibanjo when obi was lecturing osibanjo that Infrastructure can't kick start our economy ,.. osibanjo is one of the brightest politician in Nigeria but yet ....
Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by BeardedmeatR(m): 7:33am On Jun 08, 2023
They have seen the usefulness of sit-at-home, issa simpu sturvs.
Re: Why Are States Reducing Work Days by LordAdam16: 7:53am On Jun 08, 2023
mrvitalis:

Nigerians majority are socialist masquerading as capitalist they want government to build government factory's employ them and pay them good wage

When you tell them his figures about Estonia and the rest they think it's government job to build those factories worse still the people in government don't even know any better

Remember obi debate with osibanjo when obi was lecturing osibanjo that Infrastructure can't kick start our economy ,.. osibanjo is one of the brightest politician in Nigeria but yet ....

They don't even care about the -ism. They only care about working less and getting paid more. Who gives a sh*t if the numbers don't work?

To be fair, most people on the planet are socialist. More than 7.5b of the 8b people if I were to venture a guess.

However, Nigeria is a country that should be making sacrifices to get ahead but its populace compare themselves to citizens of countries that have either gotten their sh*t together or are farther along on the development path.

It's like a graduate who just completed NYSC expecting monthly pay equivalent to the pension of a permanent secretary. You have to put in the work in your youth.

Unfortunately, Nigerians don't think that they have to. We haven't put in the work, but we want to live like "kangs and sheet"

Nigeria needs a temporary fiscal crisis as severe as those in Lebanon, Turkey, Argentina, Zimbabwe, or Sri Lanka to reset mindsets.

You're cheering 3 work days a week, when you're not a German. Then in your old age when your pension is owed for months, you'd be carrying placards, forgetting you wasted your prime earning years being an unproductive leech.

You'd spend 4 whole days per week milling about at home in your middle age and then you'd expect other peoples kids and grandkids to work 9 hours in a bank six days per week to pay taxes to fund your senile ass in your old age. Dey play, just dey play.

-Lord

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

If I May Ask, Is Nigeria Currency Dollar? / EX Gov. Elrufai In Serious Trouble As He is Dragged To EFCC / Naira Falling- Obidients Nolonger Say CBN Is Defending Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.