Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? (762 Views)

Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? / What Did The Savior Say About The Commandments? Did He Contradict Moses? / Is This Where Jesus Endorsed Asoebi In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Lucifyre: 2:19pm On Jun 08, 2023
Normally you hear the bible is God's word given and written by divine inspiration, so most people take it as God's words literally which it is said to be. So if it's God's words and "God is not an author of confusion", wouldn't the bible literally NOT contradict itself?! So i wanted to do the whole bible in a year thing and ive began to notice some things just don't add up and in good faith i'ld like open minded christians(those who read their bibles not my pastor said), if there are any here to explain these things to me.

I think most of these contradictions have contributed to the several denominations(10,000+) of Christianity even though they claim to hear from one God. They have different doctrines and interpret the bible differntly while hearing from the same God. With the massive irony being that they don't even agree with the religion where they originated from which is Judaism as jews don't believe in Jesus and Jesus was a jew so they stick to the old testament. Even christians generally don't unanimously agree on the books included in the bible. Some are totally removed while some extraz are added in some denominations e.g Catholic

Sorry for the tangent but anyways the main iss is i'm trying to make sense of some of these things that don't add up or are contradictions. I'll share one today to discuss and more later.

According to the bible, Adam was the first man on earth, while Eve the first woman. They birhted the first procreated people Cain and Abel. We all know what went down between them. After cain killed Abel, God cursed him and put a mark on him. Here's the part i can't explain (GEN 4 v 13-16). Cain made the following statement: "Whoever finds me would kill me" and God responded “Not so; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over.” Then the Lord put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him.

If they're the first people on earth who are these other people that are being referred to that could find and kill Cain

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by mariovito(m): 2:21pm On Jun 08, 2023
Coming back to this
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by nams77: 2:40pm On Jun 08, 2023
People of those days live veeeerry long. Don't you think Adam had other children who also had children and who may grow up to still meet Cain?
Isn't that possible?
I have tasted Jehovah on a personal level and nothing will make my doubt him- consistency or inconsistency! EOD

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by hashtagged(m): 4:20pm On Jun 08, 2023
nams77:
People of those days live veeeerry long. Don't you think Adam had other children who also had children and who may grow up to still meet Cain?
Isn't that possible?
I have tasted Jehovah on a personal level and nothing will make my doubt him- consistency or inconsistency! EOD

God has revealed this to you and no one else my brother. Nothing even tribulation or trials can make us doubt our father

4 Likes

Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Lucifyre: 7:26pm On Jun 08, 2023
nams77:
Isn't that possible?

First off i can sense the combative and defensive energy from your comment. The display of defensive energy when what u know or were indoctrinated with is simply questioned shows me you're a close minded person. And such people can't sustain a heathy discussion. Like i said open minded people only

Secondly if you're willing to be open minded your explanation doesn't really jive. Why? Because if you look at the context of the verse it said he was cursed to be a wanderer and he told God anyone who saw him while he was wandering would kill him. So he was expecting to encounter other people while raoming the earth away from his family hence God expecting him to encounter these other people obliged him and placed a mark for when he encounters them.

Thirdly, the children of Adam would have literally been incest to produce other kids. Cain and Seth would have married and procreated with thier sisters since there were no other women. Who was Cain's wife? Isn't incest a sin?? Or was it ok then and later became a sin? Does that mean God changes his mind? Or were there simply other people.

Lastly according to you, people in those days lived very long right?! In GEN 6 v 3, God reduced the life span of man to 120yrs. But in Gen 11 v 12 -16 in events after the reduction, it lists a lot of people that lived past 120... So... Quite contradictory... Or did God change his mind. Does he change his mind?

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:41pm On Jun 08, 2023
According to the same book people back then live up to 800-900 years so other children of Adam may decide to avenge the death of their brother because both Adam and Eve must live with the pain that Abel was killed by Cain!
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by xproducer: 8:18pm On Jun 08, 2023
Lucifyre:
Normally you hear the bible is God's word given and written by divine inspiration, so most people take it as God's words literally which it is said to be. So if it's God's words and "God is not an author of confusion", wouldn't the bible literally NOT contradict itself?! So i wanted to do the whole bible in a year thing and ive began to notice some things just don't add up and in good faith i'ld like open minded christians(those who read their bibles not my pastor said), if there are any here to explain these things to me.

I think most of these contradictions have contributed to the several denominations(10,000+) of Christianity even though they claim to hear from one God. They have different doctrines and interpret the bible differntly while hearing from the same God. With the massive irony being that they don't even agree with the religion where they originated from which is Judaism as jews don't believe in Jesus and Jesus was a jew so they stick to the old testament. Even christians generally don't unanimously agree on the books included in the bible. Some are totally removed while some extraz are added in some denominations e.g Catholic

Sorry for the tangent but anyways the main iss is i'm trying to make sense of some of these things that don't add up or are contradictions. I'll share one today to discuss and more later.

According to the bible, Adam was the first man on earth, while Eve the first woman. They birhted the first procreated people Cain and Abel. We all know what went down between them. After cain killed Abel, God cursed him and put a mark on him. Here's the part i can't explain (GEN 4 v 13-16). Cain made the following statement: "Whoever finds me would kill me" and God responded “Not so; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over.” Then the Lord put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him.

If they're the first people on earth who are these other people that are being referred to that could find and kill Cain

-----------

Adam lived for 930 years (Genesis 5:5)... don't you think that he fathered many children, who in turn fathered many children and children within those centuries and beyond... some of whom would be Cain's contemporaries who could pose this harm to him especially if he would live for hundreds of years himself.

The entire word of GOD is harmonious and consistent... so try, by GOD's grace to look for reasons to believe rather than to doubt.... childlike faith is necessary, not flawed human assertions based in pride or ignorance.

"To the pure, all things are pure, but to the defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure; but both their minds and their consciences are defiled." - Titus 1:15

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." - Psalm 12:6

Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Kobojunkie: 8:27pm On Jun 08, 2023
Lucifyre:
According to the bible, Adam was the first man on earth, while Eve the first woman. They birhted the first procreated people Cain and Abel. We all know what went down between them. After cain killed Abel, God cursed him and put a mark on him. Here's the part i can't explain (GEN 4 v 13-16). Cain made the following statement: "Whoever finds me would kill me" and God responded “Not so; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over.” Then the Lord put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him. If they're the first people on earth who are these other people that are being referred to that could find and kill Cain
What you earlier expressed as your confusion is not in fact from the book itself but from the many opinions thrown around out masked as facts. Reality is instead that most of those claims are not in fact of scripture, to begin with. Is scripture devoid of contradictions? Absolutely not because what we have as Scripture is a compendium of writings expressed in human language by human writers over the course of various human lifetimes meant for consumption by humans with no other skill except basic human language comprehension necessary. Clearly, that which is human is born of the human mind(views and opinions also contained in the book) and cannot be expected to be without contradictions. Who else would desire vengeance more than his own kin? undecided

The answer to your question is simple. Even though they were the first, clearly even they understood there would be more people to come — born— after them and it was so. undecided
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Lucifyre: 8:39pm On Jun 08, 2023
[quote author=xproducer post=123662409][/quote]
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Lucifyre: 9:13pm On Jun 08, 2023
xproducer
You made the following statement: "The entire word of GOD is harmonious and consistent... so try, by GOD's grace to look for reasons to believe rather than to doubt.... childlike faith is necessary, not flawed human assertions based in pride or ignorance."

I'm going to press x to doubt the bolded. If its harmonious and consistent as you say then it'll be free from contradictions. It wouldn't say A here and the next minute say B right? Or am i missing the meaning of harmonious and consistent.

If it is explain to me the following, some of which ive mentioned on this thread. Im all ears and open to your views.

1.) Who did Cain and Seth get married to? Its two things its either there were other people which contradicts the story or they married and slept with their sisters as they were the only ones on earth which is a sin and contradicts according to Leviticus 20:19. Was incest not a sin then or it became one later. Did God change his mind? Does he change his mind?

2.) The number of pairs of clean animals that God told Noah to take into the Ark? Genesis 6:19 - 20 says 2, Genesis 7:2 says 7. That's not harmonious and consistent is it??

3.) In GEN 6 v 3, God reduced the life span of man to 120yrs. But in Gen 11 v 12 -16 in events after the reduction, it lists a lot of people that lived past 120... So... Quite contradictory... Or did God change his mind. Does he change his mind?

4.) About the laws of Moses been usefu? Yes “All scripture is... profitable...” 2 Timothy 3:16. No. “ . . . A former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness... “(Hebrews 7:18). Which is it?

5.) No one has ever seen God 1 John 4:12

No man has seen or can see God 1 Timothy 6:16

But The Lord appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day Genesis 18:1.

The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend Exodus 33:11.

All these dont look harmonious and consistent to me, they look like contradictions 3xcept u can explain them away to which ill say shoot. But I seriously doubt that. There are so many more ive come across with no one able to explain. Instead they get angry and defensive, resulting to ad hominems like u have. If u can explain these few be my guest. Ill be happy to gain understanding.
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Kobojunkie: 12:52am On Jun 09, 2023
Lucifyre:

1.) Who did Cain and Seth get married to? Its two things its either there were other people which contradicts the story or they married and slept with their sisters as they were the only ones on earth which is a sin and contradicts according to Leviticus 20:19. Was incest not a sin then or it became one later. Did God change his mind? Does he change his mind?
1. Cain and Seth married their sisters. Even Aarron is written to have married his own sister, Mariam. undecided

As for the Law hosted in Leviticus, if you read well, it was given by God to the people of Israel after He has rescued them from slavery in Egypt, not before then. Sin is as defined in God's Law/agreement. And God is God of Laws/Agreements meaning His agreement -- the terms and conditions of it -- with Abraham isn't not the same as the agreement God made with people of Israel in the Land of Canaan. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Kobojunkie: 1:39am On Jun 09, 2023
Lucifyre:
2.) The number of pairs of clean animals that God told Noah to take into the Ark? Genesis 6:19 - 20 says 2, Genesis 7:2 says 7. That's not harmonious and consistent is it??
As for these, rather than a contradiction, what I instead see is a continuation as far as instructions given by God to the man Noah.
17 “Understand what I am telling you. I will bring a great flood of water on the earth. I will destroy all living things that live under heaven. Everything on the earth will die.
18 I will make a special agreement with you. You, your wife, your sons, and their wives will all go into the boat.
19 Also, you will take two of every living thing on the earth with you into the boat. Take a male and female of every kind of animal so that they might survive with you.
20 Two of every kind of bird, animal, and creeping thing will come to you so that you might keep them alive.
21 Also bring every kind of food into the boat, for you and for the animals.” - Genesis 6 vs 17 - 21
1. Then the Lord said to Noah, “I have seen that you are a good man, even among the evil people of this time. So gather your family, and all of you go into the boat.
2 Get seven pairs (seven males and seven females) of every kind of clean animal. And get one pair (one male and one female) of every other animal on the earth. Lead all these animals into the boat with you.
3 Get seven pairs (seven males and seven females) of all the birds. This will allow all these animals to continue living on the earth after the other animals are destroyed. - Genesis 7 vs 1 - 3
I like to read these instead as a set of rules that ought to be compiled together, not read or taken separately. You can sort of see this in the fact that the rules given in Genesis 6 vs 19 are repeated in the context of Genesis 7 vs 1 - 3, even as more details/rules are also specified. undecided

■ Take two of every living thing on the earth with you into the boat - Genesis 6 vs 19a & Genesis 7 vs 2b
■ Take a male and female of every kind of animal so that they might survive with you. - Genesis 6 vs 19b & Genesis 7 vs 2b
■ Get seven pairs (seven males and seven females) of every kind of clean animal. - Genesis 7 vs 2a
■ Get seven pairs (seven males and seven females) of all the birds - Genesis 7 vs 3
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Kobojunkie: 1:54am On Jun 09, 2023
Lucifyre:
3.) In GEN 6 v 3, God reduced the life span of man to 120yrs. But in Gen 11 v 12 -16 in events after the reduction, it lists a lot of people that lived past 120...
■ So... Quite contradictory... Or did God change his mind. Does he change his mind?
Very good question which I myself have pondered on several occasions and tried to reason. What I have come to accept is rather that God's plan as far as implementation of His 120 years maximum progressed in what seemed a drawdown, than an absolute cutback from just less than 1000 to 120 years. God decreased the lifespan of man over time until His agreement with the people of Israel in the Land of Canaan was ratified. At that time, even Moses was taken off the board when he turned 120 — refused entry into the land of Canaan at exactly that age— He died at 120. undecided

2. So again, I would not go as far as to claim this a contradiction since what He did say did take place only it didn't take place when and how we expected it to. It wasn't as though God said exactly how it would be implemented by the way. undecided
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Wilgrea7(m): 6:13am On Jun 09, 2023
Lucifyre:

It helps if you see the bible as what it is, which is a collection of books, rather than a single unit.

The bible is a collection of books written by different authors and compiled over time. Claims of divine inspiration are about as useful as sprinkling magic dust over it. It's just a claim, made by one, or a few books in there, which is interpreted to make the entire collection seem more credible.

Simply put, it's a meaningless claim.

In addition to that, I think another mistake you're making is trying to treat genesis as a historical book. Claims made by the book, and any other book must first the proven and substantiated before they can be accepted as true.

So far, we've found zero evidence of the claims about humans or creation in general made by the authors of the book of genesis
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Lucifyre: 10:12am On Jun 09, 2023
Wilgrea7:

It helps if you see the bible as what it is, which is a collection of books, rather than a single unit.

The bible is a collection of books written by different authors and compiled over time. Claims of divine inspiration are about as useful as sprinkling magic dust over it. It's just a claim, made by one, or a few books in there, which is interpreted to make the entire collection seem more credible.

Simply put, it's a meaningless claim.

In addition to that, I think another mistake you're making is trying to treat genesis as a historical book. Claims made by the book, and any other book must first the proven and substantiated before they can be accepted as true.

So far, we've found zero evidence of the claims about humans or creation in general made by the authors of the book of genesis

Bro back up a little bit. Trust me u are preaching to the choir here. I know and agree with what u are saying. Its a collection of books like u rightly said written by different authors of which it was influenced by the writers pov, thought process, peraonality and writing styles. Most of these books where written hundreds of years later after the incidents occured. For example the first book wrritten in the bible (job) was written some 400 years after. Do u know how long that time is for word of mouth to be passed accurately before being written. Some were even written like 600 yrs after.

There's an experiment about inaccuracies of word of mouth i watched. About 30 people were in a room. They were lined up and spaced out. A peice of info was whispered into the ear of the last person on the line. He was then told to pass the info to the next person and it went on like that to the end of the line. By the time it got to the end of the line, it was totally different from what was said at the beginning. This is how rumors start too. These were people in the same space in the same time. Imagine then many generations later.

I believe the bible is simply meant to be taken metamorphically than literally. Cause its filled with man made dross covering up the small truth inside of it. I don't even want to go into claims that can't be substantiated inside of it with science like the flood and humans living outrageous ages amongst many otherz. I just want people who take it literally to explain it literally when it says one thing here and another there especially as they claim its homogeneous and consistent. So they should explain it literally then. U see it for what it is.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Lucifyre: 10:43am On Jun 09, 2023
Kobojunkie:
As for these, rather than a contradiction, what I instead see is a continuation as far as instructions given by God to the man Noah.
I like to read these instead as a set of rules that ought to be compiled together, not read or taken separately. You can sort of see this in the fact that the rules given in Genesis 6 vs 19 are repeated in the context of Genesis 7 vs 1 - 3, even as more details/rules are also specified. undecided

■ Take two of every living thing on the earth with you into the boat - Genesis 6 vs 19a & Genesis 7 vs 2b
■ Take a male and female of every kind of animal so that they might survive with you. - Genesis 6 vs 19b & Genesis 7 vs 2b
■ Get seven pairs (seven males and seven females) of every kind of clean animal. - Genesis 7 vs 2a
■ Get seven pairs (seven males and seven females) of all the birds - Genesis 7 vs 3

So from ur comments i can see ur arguments are based on good faith and u understand the context in the production of the bible and accept that context is valid. I appreciate that. See my prev comment to the other guy. Acceptance of that context doesn't necessarily jive with traditional Christian beliefs.

Now u try to explain some of these contradictions away and for some of em you come from the angle of understanding and accepting the context of the production of the bible which most christains push aside. They believe like i already said its divine inspiration and devoid of errors and dismiss any context whatsoever. That's the angle im expecting a from. The super religious christain response, if im making sense. Traditional christain beliefs or school of thought.

But even ur nuanced context based response doesn't necessarily explain these contradictions away. It just boxes u into another contradiction of traditional christian belifs. Ok... About the Ark, u said its a continuation of instructions.... Agreed. Does that mean Noah does what he wants and disobeys these instructions and does what he wants or did God make a mistake and change his mind?? Cause it wad still 2 animals that went in??

For the incest part about Cain and Seth.. That doesn't jive too. If not ur saying God changes his mind. Does God change his mind?? Which would be admitting he made a mistake. Does God make mistakes, especially when he's all knowing and knows the end from tge beginning according to the bible??
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Lucifyre: 10:54am On Jun 09, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Very good question which I myself have pondered on several occasions and tried to reason. What I have come to accept is rather that God's plan as far as implementation of His 120 years maximum progressed in what seemed a drawdown, than an absolute cutback from just less than 1000 to 120 years. God decreased the lifespan of man over time until His agreement with the people of Israel in the Land of Canaan was ratified. At that time, even Moses was taken off the board when he turned 120 — refused entry into the land of Canaan at exactly that age— He died at 120. undecided

2. So again, I would not go as far as to claim this a contradiction since what He did say did take place only it didn't take place when and how we expected it to. It wasn't as though God said exactly how it would be implemented by the way. undecided

I like this train of thought. It's not really fact though more like your hypothesis but its a good one to explain if not for the fact Caleb lived 130yrs.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Kobojunkie: 3:24pm On Jun 09, 2023
Lucifyre:
explain away" any real contradictions which I admit exist in the book of books. Rather, my goal is to id■So from ur comments i can see ur arguments are based on good faith and u understand the context in the production of the bible and accept that context is valid. I appreciate that. See my prev comment to the other guy. Acceptance of that context doesn't necessarily jive with traditional Christian beliefs.
Now u try to explain some of these contradictions away and for some of em you come from the angle of understanding and accepting the context of the production of the bible which most christains push aside. They believe like i already said its divine inspiration and devoid of errors and dismiss any context whatsoever. That's the angle im expecting a from. The super religious christain response, if im making sense. Traditional christain beliefs or school of thought.
■ But even ur nuanced context based response doesn't necessarily explain these contradictions away. It just boxes u into another contradiction of traditional christian belifs. Ok... About the Ark, u said its a continuation of instructions.... Agreed.
◍Does that mean Noah does what he wants and disobeys these instructions and does what he wants or did God make a mistake and change his mind?? Cause it wad still 2 animals that went in??
◍ For the incest part about Cain and Seth.. That doesn't jive too. If not ur saying God changes his mind. Does God change his mind?? Which would be admitting he made a mistake. Does God make mistakes, especially when he's all knowing and knows the end from tge beginning according to the bible??
1. My intention is simply to identify the actual claims of contradictions from the many false claims.
con·tra·dic·tion
noun
◍ a combination of statements, ideas, or features of a situation that are opposed to one another.
◍ a person, thing, or situation in which inconsistent elements are present.
◍ the statement of a position opposite to one already made.

2. ◍The story has it that Noah honored God's command.
6b Noah was 600 years old at the time the rains came.
7 He and his family went into the boat to be saved from the flood. His wife and his sons and their wives were on the boat with him.
8 All the clean animals, all the other animals on the earth, the birds, and everything that crawls on the earth
9 went into the boat with Noah. These animals went into the boat in groups of two, male and female, just as God commanded.
10 Seven days later the flood started. The rain began to fall on the earth. - Genesis 7 vs 6b - 10

◍ In Scripture, God makes different Covenants with different sets of peoples, and no two agreements are defined the same. Think of it in terms of how you have different nations with different Constitutional Laws governing each. The Law which God gave to the Nation was specifically for the Nation of Israel in the Land of Canaan and no other nation meaning that though God was pronounced as a sin in Israel, it was not so among the non-Israelites. So, no, God did not change His mind. He simply gave different Laws to each nation He constituted. undecided
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Jun 09, 2023
Lucifyre:
■ I like this train of thought. It's not really fact though more like your hypothesis but its a good one to explain if not for the fact Caleb lived 130yrs.
Can you please point out where it is written that Kaleb lived 130 years so I can know this for myself? My search instead revealed he died at age 100. undecided
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Girlee(f): 12:21am On Jun 10, 2023
Lucifyre:

Uhmm!!
How well do you understand the scriptures? If I'm to make you understand, you should be a good bible student.
Well, I believe you must have heard people say "before men, there were men"?
Yeah! That's true.
Those men were giants, they were on the earth around that time. So the scriptures could have referred to them.
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Kobojunkie: 12:42am On Jun 10, 2023
Girlee:
Uhmm!!
How well do you understand the scriptures? If I'm to make you understand, you should be a good bible student.
Well, I believe you must have heard people say "before men, there were men"?
Yeah! That's true.
Those men were giants, they were on the earth around that time. So the scriptures could have referred to them.
What you claim is not at all of Scripture. I suggest you open your eyes and mind to what is in fact written as opposed to that which is of the imagination and not recorded therein. undecided
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Girlee(f): 1:15am On Jun 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:
What you claim is not at all of Scripture. I suggest you open your eyes and mind to what is in fact written as opposed to that which is of the imagination and not recorded therein. undecided

You remember why God had to reduce the lifespan of man?
Genesis 6:2-4 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

The NIV version would put it as: "... when the Nephilims were on earth..."
What's the meaning of the word Nephilim? (Gen. 6:4; Num. 13:33, R.V.), giants, the Hebrew word left untranslated by the Revisers, the name of one of the Canaanitish tribes. The Revisers have, however, translated the Hebrew gibborim, in Gen. 6:4, "mighty men."

As it is written, those Giants (sons of God), had carnal knowledge of the daughters of men and those daughters gave birth to Mighty men (giants) in manly form.

Goliath was from a race of giants. Elhanan was also a giant who killed Lahmi, the brother of Goliath.

I'd love to add this:
You need to know that the bible is a book for men and it expires. It would expire when the world comes to an end.
You can't know much about God, where he's from, and stuffs like that by reading the Bible.
It speaks on how our worlds were created. The heavens and the earth.
Heaven is for man, earth is also for man.

And one more thing, God's words shouldn't be questioned. He doesn't make mistakes. He's perfect. If he says "this is this" then that's it for me.
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Kobojunkie: 1:29am On Jun 10, 2023
Girlee:
■ You remember why God had to reduce the lifespan of man? Genesis 6:2-4 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
The NIV version would put it as: "... when the Nephilims were on earth..."
What's the meaning of the word Nephilim? (Gen. 6:4; Num. 13:33, R.V.), giants, the Hebrew word left untranslated by the Revisers, the name of one of the Canaanitish tribes. The Revisers have, however, translated the Hebrew gibborim, in Gen. 6:4, "mighty men."
As it is written, those Giants (sons of God), had carnal knowledge of the daughters of men and those daughters gave birth to Mighty men (giants) in manly form.
■ Goliath was from a race of giants. Elhanan was also a giant who killed Lahmi, the brother of Goliath. I'd love to add this:
■ You need to know that the bible is a book for men and it expires. It would expire when the world comes to an end. You can't know much about God, where he's from, and stuffs like that by reading the Bible. It speaks on how our worlds were created. The heavens and the earth. Heaven is for man, earth is also for man. And one more thing, God's words shouldn't be questioned. He doesn't make mistakes. He's perfect. If he says "this is this" then that's it for me.
Here's a mistake that most make going to read from Scripture, you go in expecting it to conform to a story you have been fed about what is written in it.
1 - 4 The number of people on earth continued to increase. When these people had daughters, the sons of God saw how beautiful they were. So they chose the women they wanted. They married them, and the women had their children.
Then the Lord said, “People are only human. I will not let my Spirit be troubled by them forever. I will let them live only 120 years.” During this time and also later, the Nephilim people lived in the land. They have been famous as powerful soldiers since ancient times.
5 The Lord saw that the people on the earth were very evil. He saw that they thought only about evil things all the time.
6 The Lord was sorry that he had made people on the earth. It made him very sad in his heart.
7 So the Lord said, “I will destroy all the people I created on the earth. I will destroy every person and every animal and everything that crawls on the earth. And I will destroy all the birds in the air because I am sorry that I have made them.” - Genesis 6 vs 1 - 7
Here are some ideas that are not expressed in the above passage which you seem to take with you.
■ Nowhere in the passage above does it state that the sons of God did evil against God when they took for themselves wives of the daughters of men.
■ Nowhere in the passage above is it written that God chose to punish mankind because of the actions of the Sons of God. The assumption that God punished men because the Sons of God mated with the daughters of men is non-Scriptural. Pay close attention to what God is written to have said in verse 1-4, "People are all human..." Even after the matings with the Sons of God, the people remained all human— not Sons of God, but all human.
■ The Nephilim, mentioned in that passage bear no direct connection, to the Sons of God. Rather they are connected to the ancients, most likely Adam himself or his direct descendants.

2. Every race we have on earth today can be traced back to pretty much the same ancestry. Why do you conveniently exclude the race of giants from this same? undecided

3. To your claim that the bible expires, I am not certain what you mean. I mean the book itself is worm food. Rather, the Word of God is what one is meant to focus on and that is, as stated in Scripture, everlasting — never expiring. undecided
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Girlee(f): 1:38am On Jun 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Here's a mistake that most make going to read from Scripture, you go in expecting it to conform to a story you have been fed about what is written in it.

Here are some ideas that are not expressed in the above passage which you seem to take with you.
■ Nowhere in the passage above does it state that the sons of God did evil against God when they took for themselves wives of the daughters of men
■ Nowhere in the above passage is it written that God chose to punish mankind because of the actions of the Sons of God. Pay close attention to what God is written to have said in verse 1-4, "People are all human..." Even after the matings with the Sons of God, the people remained all human— not Sons of God, but all human.
■ The Nephilim, mentioned in that passage bear no direct connection, to the Sons of God. Rather they are connected to the ancients, most likely Adam himself or his direct descendants.

2. Every race we have on earth today can be traced back to pretty much the same ancestry. Why do you conveniently exclude the race of giants from this same? undecided

Maybe you should read from another version of the bible.
Yours could be one of those Bibles that have been tampered with. The type that some people would intentionally omit words from.

King James version: Genesis 6:1-5 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Check it out by yourself. If you're not satisfied with the King James Version, you should try the New International Version (NIV)
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Girlee(f): 1:46am On Jun 10, 2023
One thing I know is this.
The Bible doesn't contradict itself. You just haven't read with an understanding.
You should yield into the ministry of the Holy Spirit. He's a good teacher.
The Bible isn't a story book you read and question anyhow.
It's complete and perfect. We just need help from the Holy Spirit to understand certain things.

It's not wise to argu on what God has said.
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Kobojunkie: 2:14am On Jun 10, 2023
Lucifyre:
4.) About the laws of Moses been usefu? Yes “All scripture is... profitable...” 2 Timothy 3:16. No. “ . . . A former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness... “(Hebrews 7:18). Which is it?
One needs to be careful when considering many of the popular soundbites of the religion of Christianity. At the time Paul wrote his letter to Timothy, what existed as Scripture then was majorly the works of the prophets, and even then, his advice to Timothy was not that Scripture was all Truth but rather that Scripture was available to help one learn of God and His Ways. Many today confuse Paul's advice to Timothy to mean that Scripture contains all Truths, but there is no evidence for that to be found anywhere in Scripture — not even Paul's letters. undecided

As for the views expressed in Hebrew 7 by the writer of the letter to the Hebrew believers, I believe one would require a good deal of understanding of the background to what the writer wrote in reference to in order to grasp the claim made by Him. I will try my best to dump what I know here

God promised to constitute two nations of the people of Israel
■ The nation of Israel in the land of Canaan - Deuteronomy 30 vs 15 - 20
■ God's special Nation of Priests - Exodus 19 vs 6

The first of them, God established through Moses, complete with its own Constitutional Law(The Law of Moses) and land borders here on this earth(The promised land of Canaan). God set up a priesthood system — God's Law enforcement group in the Land of Israel — using the tribe of Levi and had them set up to work in that system for their entire lives. God also declared Himself King over Israel, however, the people eventually desired a human King for themselves, so God responded by giving them human kings. However, God also promised to give them a forever King through the line of David — human yet eternal.

So you have the promise of another Nation to be populated in entirety by not only Israelites but Priests — God's special law enforcement team, and this Kingdom eventually came through the person of Jesus Christ who came, not to recruit the righteous from among the people but the sinners. It is against this backdrop that the writer of the letter to the Hebrew believers attempts to explain why the Old Law System of priests was deficient and hence made obsolete by the arrival of God's Nation of Priests. Of course, he, in no way, suggests that the Old Law is faulty, broken, or needs to be done away with. Rather, his argument is that a lot of the ideas that governed the Old Law enforcement team, especially pertaining to their mortality, could not be made to work in the New system and Kingdom to take over. undecided

So, here again, we don't have a contradiction but rather a lack of knowledge of the ideas and issues discussed. undecided
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Kobojunkie: 2:39am On Jun 10, 2023
Girlee:
■ One thing I know is this. The Bible doesn't contradict itself. You just haven't read with an understanding.
■ You should yield into the ministry of the Holy Spirit. He's a good teacher.
■ The Bible isn't a story book you read and question anyhow. It's complete and perfect. We just need help from the Holy Spirit to understand certain things.
■ It's not wise to argu on what God has said.
That claim that your bible does not contain contradictions or that it is inerrant was instead made by men with dubious intentions towards the book, and this was over 300 years after Jesus Christ and His apostles. undecided

2. If you knew who the Spirit of Truth aka the Holy Spirit is, He would never tell you that the lies told by Satan, equally recorded in the pages of scripture, do not contradict the Truth of God. undecided

3. The humans who wrote the book, wrote it as exactly that, a story of their experiences and encounters with the Almighty along with the messages they were used by Him to deliver to His people. That you would think reading it any other way is against God means you do not even understand why God had those men write the stories and messages as they did. undecided

4. Jesus Christ in His Gospel said it is only those who use the understanding they previously have that will be given more understanding. To use understanding means to argue or reason it out, or attempt an implementation at least. According to Jesus Christ, those who do not use the understanding that they have will have even the little they had taken away from them - Matthew 13 vs 10 - 13 & Mark 4 vs 22 - 26 & Matthew 25 vs 29. It seems that by not using/reasoning or at least attempting to argue the understanding you believe you have of God and His Kingdom, you have instead been shortchanging yourself all this while. Even Paul, whom many of your Christians love to quote, explained that the weapon you use to wage battles against the enemy's stronghold is the Truth of God — his understanding — in 2 Corinthians 10 vs 1 - 13. undecided
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Kobojunkie: 2:49am On Jun 10, 2023
Girlee:
■ Maybe you should read from another version of the bible. Yours could be one of those Bibles that have been tampered with. The type that some people would intentionally omit words from.
King James version:
Genesis 6:1-5
■ [size=12pt]And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Check it out by yourself. If you're not satisfied with the King James Version, you should try the New International Version (NIV)[/size]
1. But this here isn't a bible translation or versioning issue but a language comprehension issue instead.

Again, consider what is stated in even the King James translation

■ No mention of the Sons of God committing evil against God by taking for themselves wives of the daughters of men
■ Again we see that God points out that man is flesh — human. God declares His Spirit(of life or breath of life in man) will not always thrive with man and so man's days are numbered to be no more than 120 days
■ The giants — Nephilim we previously know them as — existed at that time, and after that, and even before that time as they were of old.

This is exactly the same message I was able to pull from the other translation which I use, was it not? My suggestion to you is you quit getting hung up on translations and get yourself a translation in the English language you are better able to grasp. If you really believe in God then you would know that language translation cannot and should not hold back his Word. undecided
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Kobojunkie: 5:13am On Jun 10, 2023
Lucifyre:
5.) No one has ever seen God 1 John 4:12

No man has seen or can see God 1 Timothy 6:16

But The Lord appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day Genesis 18:1.

The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend Exodus 33:11.
This particular one, I too continue to ponder and hope to someday come to have clear understanding which I can communicate, majorly since there are many accounts to sort through and compile on this particular issue of "seeing God". undecided
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Aemmyjah(m): 5:49am On Jun 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:

You tried commendably well here. Even today, there are men that surpassed 120 years. Abraham who was born long after tge flood was past 120 years. His father was born past 120 years.

God's word at Genesis 6:3 is a judicial decree especially when yiu notice the context cos it was at the peak of man's wickedness before the flood. He set a time period in which the pre-Flood population could continue dwelling upon the earth before the destruction of the vast majority of them. This was not a statement regarding the average human lifespan. It was a judicial decree in which Jehovah declared when he would act to cleanse the earth of ungodliness. It was a simple expression of God's purpose or determination.

For more information as to the date and sequences to the flood, calculated from chronological times in the Bible, click
https://www.jw.org/finder?srcid=jwlshare&wtlocale=E&prefer=lang&docid=2010928
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Kobojunkie: 5:51am On Jun 10, 2023
Aemmyjah:
You tried commendably well here. Even today, there are men that surpassed 120 years. Abraham who was born long after tge flood was past 120 years. His father was born past 120 years.

God's word at Genesis 6:3 is a judicial decree especially when yiu notice the context cos it was at the peak of man's wickedness before the flood. He set a time period in which the pre-Flood population could continue dwelling upon the earth before the destruction of the vast majority of them. This was not a statement regarding the average human lifespan. It was a judicial decree in which Jehovah declared when he would act to cleanse the earth of ungodliness. It was a simple expression of God's purpose or determination.

For more information as to the date and sequences to the flood, calculated from chronological times in the Bible, click
https://www.jw.org/finder?srcid=jwlshare&wtlocale=E&prefer=lang&docid=2010928
shoo fly! Go enter corner behind your GBz since you refuse to think for your own self. undecided
Re: Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? by Aemmyjah(m): 5:54am On Jun 10, 2023
Girlee:
One thing I know is this.
The Bible doesn't contradict itself. You just haven't read with an understanding.
You should yield into the ministry of the Holy Spirit. He's a good teacher.
The Bible isn't a story book you read and question anyhow.
It's complete and perfect. We just need help from the Holy Spirit to understand certain things.

It's not wise to argu on what God has said.

You are correct dear
Don't mind Kobojunkie
She's claiming christian but fighting against everything in the Bible

Another word for contradiction is inaccuracies
Why will Jehovah, the Author of the Bible allow inaccuracies in his book?
Human authors have tried hard to ensure that their works are accurate, how much more God?

Where they fail to gain understanding, instead of humbling themselves, they say the Bible is nit accurate

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Build Wisely! / Is Going To Church A Compulsion For Christians / Daily Devotionals For Nairalanders.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 195
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.