Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,020 members, 7,810,822 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? (1363 Views)

Why Does The Bible Contradict Itself? / Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures / This Scripture Shows That God Recognizes Masturbation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Aemmyjah(m): 2:22pm On Feb 24
Many of us know that the books of Kings and Chronicles contain parallel accounts of what the history of the Kings of Israel and Judah. The book of Kings were written by Jeremiah and Chronicles was written by Ezra and they were not contemporaries. Many critics and atheists point to this contradiction. Let's examine it.

2 Kings 8:26 NKJV
Ahaziah was twenty-two years old when he became king, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Athaliah the granddaughter of Omri, king of Israel.

2 Chronicles 22:2 NKJV
Ahaziah was forty-two years old when he became king, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Athaliah the granddaughter of Omri.

How could Ahaziah be both 22 years old and 42 years old when he started to reign? How old was Ahaziah when he ruled Jerusalem? 22 or 42?

Before we answer, let us understand that the original copies of the scriptures are lost. What we have are copies of copies and there are several of them. While the copyists were meticulous in their copying, there were likely some mistakes and the best way to know is by comparison. For example, in high school whenever I miss class, I borrow two notes on that subject cos it's likely I may not see something clearly on a particular note or something was omitted so I'll check the other. But where I was not sure, I'll ask for other notes and still compare and I'll get the correct text. I did not have to go and ask for the teacher's note .
Regarding the slight contradictions in the ages of Ahaziah. Comparisons of all the manuscripts we have help us to conclude that he was 22 years old when he ruled Jerusalem. The problem is not from the scriptures in itself but the copyist who made the mistakes. Unlike Bible writers, copyists are not inspired so we should not be surprised.
Many translations have made the correction... The first image below is a screenshot from Wikipedia
So when reading the Bible and we see something contradictory, don't conclude that God's word is invalid and full of error. Do a little more research, it's worth it. True, we don't understand everything in the Bible but that does not make it invalid either.

Enjoy

2 Likes

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Ance4Liverpool: 2:26pm On Feb 24
You will soon find what you are looking for inside the bible

1 Like

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by writetopoker: 3:05pm On Feb 24
It is possible that the discrepancy in the age of Ahaziah mentioned in the biblical texts is due to a mistake made by a copyist or a transcription error. It is widely recognized by scholars and translators that variations can occur in different manuscripts. Based on the broader biblical narrative, the most likely age of Ahaziah when he became king is 22, which aligns with 2 Kings 8:26. The age of 42 mentioned in 2 Chronicles 22:2 is likely a copyist error.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by writetopoker: 3:07pm On Feb 24
The Bible has been transmitted through various manuscripts over time, and copyist errors occasionally occurred during the process. In this case, the conflicting ages of Ahaziah in 2 Kings 8:26 and 2 Chronicles 22:2 are likely due to a scribal mistake or a copyist error in one of the manuscripts. Scholars and translators work to identify and rectify such discrepancies, favoring the age of 22 mentioned in 2 Kings 8:26 as it aligns with the broader context of the biblical narrative. Therefore, Ahaziah was likely 22 years old when he began to reign in Jerusalem.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Kobojunkie: 3:54pm On Feb 24
writetopoker:
It is possible that the discrepancy in the age of Ahaziah mentioned in the biblical texts is due to a mistake made by a copyist or a transcription error. It is widely recognized by scholars and translators that variations can occur in different manuscripts. Based on the broader biblical narrative, the most likely age of Ahaziah when he became king is 22, which aligns with 2 Kings 8:26. The age of 42 mentioned in 2 Chronicles 22:2 is likely a copyist error.
It is an error nonetheless meaning the claim the book is without error —inerrant — is invalid. undecided
Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:03pm On Feb 24
If 2 witnesses give the same testimony at the material time, then it means that their testimony was preplanned and premeditated.

It is a Law of Truth that the independent testimony of 2 or more witnesses wiil have variations. eg listen to the report of 2 neighbours who witnessed a fight. You would see that the report might be the same yet not the same.

And that is one of the reasons why the bible is True!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:08pm On Feb 24
Kobojunkie:
It is an error nonetheless meaning the claim the book is without error —inerrant — is invalid. undecided

You are talking rubbish as usual. Cartalk, politics etc show how different people can view a matter. And funny, you are even f
doing it.

1 Like

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Aemmyjah(m): 3:58pm On Feb 26
Kobojunkie:

You're not serious
If I am copying from a teacher's note and I make an error
Someone else who copies me wrote the same error.
Will you say the teacher's copy has error?
You can't point out any
Using copyist error to discredit the Bible
Shame

1 Like

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Kobojunkie: 5:20pm On Feb 26
Aemmyjah:
∆ You're not serious. If I am copying from a teacher's note and I make an error. Someone else who copies me wrote the same error. Will you say the teacher's copy has error? You can't point out any Using copyist error to discredit the Bible. Shame
I always amazes me how folks can be so illogically oriented. lipsrsealed

The so-called copyist error you assume them to be are found right within the pages of the same book --- not out in a space outside of the book. So, how in the world are you not able to see that means the book cannot be qualified as inerrant as a result. undecided
Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Ken4Christ: 6:55pm On Feb 26
Kobojunkie:

It's a trivial error. The story is the same. The historical books are just records of what happened in God's dealing with Israel. They are not commandments. But they were included in the Bible so we can understand the ways of God and draw a moral lesson in God's dealing with the Jews.

1 Like

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Kobojunkie: 7:01pm On Feb 26
See desperation abeg! And error is no longer an error? It all depends on how it's erroneousness is perceived by a bunch of con men cum religious cases? Na wa oo! grin

See attempt to drag God for crying out loud! God of Israel never complained about any of the errors or lies contained in the book. So why pretend He cares about them? undecided
Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Aemmyjah(m): 9:31pm On Feb 26
Kobojunkie:

The so-called copyist error you assume them to be are found right within the pages of the same book --- not out in a space outside of the book. So, how in the world are you not able to see that means the book cannot be qualified as inerrant as a result. undecided

A Translator or copyist error makes the original copy or message inaccurate?

1 Like

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Kobojunkie: 9:34pm On Feb 26
Aemmyjah:
■A Translator or copyist error makes the original copy or message inaccurate?
Does the book you carry around with you contain this error? undecided
Or have you had it corrected since you have access to the original manuscript which DOES NOT contain the supposed copyist error? If this is the case, can you provide us with proof that the many errors indicated are indeed copyist errors that should not be considered errors at all. undecided

1 Like

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Aemmyjah(m): 10:31am On Feb 27
Kobojunkie:
Does the book you carry around with you contain this error? undecided
Or have you had it corrected since you have access to the original manuscript which DOES NOT contain the supposed copyist error? If this is the case, can you provide us with proof that the many errors indicated are indeed copyist errors that should not be considered errors at all. undecided

You're not serious
Who listens to someone who drops junkie comments like you?
If you view the Word of God as inaccurate, it's your own freaking problem, not mine

2 Likes

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:42am On Feb 27
Aemmyjah:

You're not serious
Who listens to someone who drops junkie comments like you?
If you view the Word of God as inaccurate, it's your own freaking problem, not mine

Faith is not a possession of all kinds of people! 2Thessalonians 3:2

So when talking about faith in God many just don't want to be totally left out from what the crowd is doing that's why they're professing faith in God, if all the people they hold with high esteem declare they're no longer interested in God majority declare they're atheists! undecided
Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Aemmyjah(m): 11:07am On Feb 27
MaxInDHouse:

Faith is not a possession of all kinds of people! 2Thessalonians 3:2

So when talking about faith in God many just don't want to be totally left out from what the crowd is doing that's why they're professing faith in God, if all the people they hold with high esteem declare they're no longer interested in God majority declare they're atheists! undecided

She is just dropping junk all over Nairaland

1 Like

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Expanse2020(m): 11:24am On Feb 27
Kobojunkie:

They are just talking with sentiment they don't want to hear Truth...

1 Like

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Aemmyjah(m): 11:43am On Feb 27
Expanse2020:

They are just talking with sentiment they don't want to hear Truth...

Coming from a Muslim
Are you a Muslim? Islamist or a Jihadist?
Is your Koran the Truth?
Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Expanse2020(m): 11:46am On Feb 27
Aemmyjah:

Coming from a Muslim
Are you a Muslim? Islamist or a Jihadist?
Is your Koran the Truth?
You can help it, the book of God cannot have error,

1 Like

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Aemmyjah(m): 11:52am On Feb 27
Expanse2020:

The Koran itself already acknowledge the Book of God
So rest

1 Like

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:17pm On Feb 27
Expanse2020:

The book written and copied by God himself or by imperfect humans?
If there's no error in your Quran why aren't you all having the same line of thought that your Allah is the supreme one?
And if your Allah is the supreme one why can't he settle your disputes so that Muslims won't raise weapons against Muslims?
For your information errors is what triggers fights among adherents of a book so if Muslims do fight against Muslims and your Quran is helpless in resolving such disputes know today that your Quran is full of blunders! undecided

1 Like

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Expanse2020(m): 1:46pm On Feb 27
Aemmyjah:

The Koran itself already acknowledge the Book of God
So rest
He acknowledged it that it has kwuarrot🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Kobojunkie: 3:02pm On Feb 27
Expanse2020:
■ You can help it, the book of God cannot have error,
Interesting claim you make there. Where is this book of God that God Himself told you cannot have errors in it? By the way, which "God" would that be? undecided

1 Like

Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Expanse2020(m): 5:23pm On Feb 27
Kobojunkie:
Interesting claim you make there. Where is this book of God that God Himself told you cannot have errors in it? By the way, which "God" would that be? undecided
Surely the gospel sent to Moses, Jesus through God would never had error not the one compiled by Paul or the one king James who raped her mother compiled, wrote, edit and revised severally, God never made mistakesundecided
Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Kobojunkie: 6:39pm On Feb 27
Expanse2020:
■ Surely the gospel sent to Moses, Jesus through God would never had error not the one compiled by Paul or the one king James who raped her mother compiled, wrote, edit and revised severally, God never made mistakesundecided
Yes, there are no errors in God's Word--- the word out of God's very own mouth.. But not every word recorded in that book is God's Word. So the book cannot be considered the Book of God, nor can the book be considered Holy since there is no Law from God that guided the writing of all the books contained in the book. undecided

I am however interested in this book of God which you claimed cannot have error because I fail to see how many man can believe that a book written by the fallible hands of a human can be without error. Where such idea comes from is what I am interested in knowing. undecided
Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Expanse2020(m): 7:50pm On Feb 27
Kobojunkie:
Yes, there are no errors in God's Word--- the word out of God's very own mouth.. But not every word recorded in that book is God's Word. So the book cannot be considered the Book of God, nor can the book be considered Holy since there is no Law from God that guided the writing of all the books contained in the book. undecided

I am however interested in this book of God which you claimed cannot have error because I fail to see how many man can believe that a book written by the fallible hands of a human can be without error. Where such idea comes from is what I am interested in knowing. undecided
the gospel given to Moses, Jesus and which they use during their time cannot contain error... Not the man made mandate you carried up and down
Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Expanse2020(m): 7:52pm On Feb 27
MaxInDHouse:

The book written and copied by God himself or by imperfect humans?
If there's no error in your Quran why aren't you all having the same line of thought that your Allah is the supreme one?
And if your Allah is the supreme one why can't he settle your disputes so that Muslims won't raise weapons against Muslims?
For your information errors is what triggers fights among adherents of a book so if Muslims do fight against Muslims and your Quran is helpless in resolving such disputes know today that your Quran is full of blunders! undecided
Did you see any Muslim claimed Allah is not supreme Unlike your false religion where you guys are fighting about Jésùs is God / is a son of God
Jesus is arch angel Micheal or not 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🫣
Some goes to Rome to worship and some goes to Jerusalem where the Jews spit/spat on you

Which Muslim and which Muslim are fighting against each other ooo
Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Kobojunkie: 8:01pm On Feb 27
Expanse2020:
■ the gospel given to Moses, Jesus and which they use during their time cannot contain error... Not the man made mandate you carried up and down
The same Gospel given to Moses and that given to Jesus Christ is written in that book today. You claim what exists today is a manmade mandate, where is your proof of this though? undecided
Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Lucifyre: 8:44pm On Feb 27
It's plain old fact that the bible is littered with literal, historical, philosophical and logical contradictions.
Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:27pm On Feb 27
Expanse2020:

Which Muslim and which Muslim are fighting against each other ooo

Iraq and Iran are both Muslim nations your god failed woefully to stop them from killing themselves till today! smiley
Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by epainos: 9:54pm On Feb 27
This thread is hilarious. grin

The lesson from this thread is that the Bible among other books is ordinary. If you like criticize me. The Koran is ordinary too. And the most talked about Ifa Corpus among Nigerian traditionalists is so ordinary too.

However, the spirits attached to books make them powerful. For example, the books written by King Solomon are poems. Period. But when the Holy Spirit moves with it...they are energized.

I used to be close to someone I met here, and the fellow to me really loves God. The desire to allow God to choose for the person in a certain area is real, but the fellow was deceived by mere humans here. How come? How can such happen? How can humans deceive you when you know God? If you know God and you are empowered with the Holy Spirit, it cannot happen. I told the fellow to ask God, but na lie. The fellow just kept using the human brain to study people and analyse them. You dey use abroad brain analyse naijas...you don miss am. grin

Every book is ordinary until the spirit attached to the book starts manifesting in you
...then after, you start feeling the power in the book
Re: Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? by Kobojunkie: 11:34pm On Feb 27
Aemmyjah:
■ You're not serious. Who listens to someone who drops junkie comments like you?
This is the lazy-brained conclusion reached by religious numbskulls — those who have voluntarily abandoned their ability to reason so that they hold firm to the lies of others. undecided

The book you hold in your hand is NOT the Word of God. The simplest commonsense reason for this is that God's Words which are ALWAYS TRUTHS cannot be spoken out of the mouth of Satan(whose every word is a lie), and we find that the words of Satan are recorded in that book you hold — Truth CAN NOT EQUAL Lies. I can go on to give you other reasons why what you claim is lamebrained but I think this should suffice, assuming you are willing to reboot that brain of yours and put it to thinking again. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why! Christian Ladies? / I Need Your Help! . : What Was Jesus Christ,s Life In Exile In Egypt? / How Many Pastors Get Rich!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.