Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,759 members, 7,820,645 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:40 PM

A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa (1938 Views)

Chisom Chukwuneke Talking About Chronic Myeliod Leukemia Before Her Death: Video / 'Our Menthol': MC Oluomo/NURTW Banner That Got People Talking (Pictured) / Children's International School Fees In Lagos That Got People Talking (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by etrange: 11:14pm On Jun 10, 2023
nnamdi640:
Be honest, are people not facing hell in this country, how I wish you were in Nigeria during the cashless policy, then you will know that our so called leaders are demon in human form, nearly two months we came out of cashless policy, now another hardship has be set rolling by the present government and you expect someone in such hard situation to speak well about the country, lot of people struggle daily and yet has nothing to show for their hardwork.
You can't be in another man's country and be saying things that you know nothing about, nobody will like to trash talk his or her country, but the situation of things has made many to lose hope, a country that is not fair to majority of the citizens.
I still want you to list the achievements of this so called country you so much believe in but you ran away from.

I did not say people are not facing hell in Nigeria. Listing all the issues in Nigeria has no bearing on the premise of this conversation. So stop gaslighting. Stop creating new argument lines just to have something to hang on to. This is not a conversation of whether Nigeria is hard or not but rather a conversation of how we react when someone says something good about the country. If someone says there's no constant power supply in Nigeria, you acknowledge it cause it's true. When they say the food is good or that they had a good experience at the embassy, why not also just acknowledge it cause it's true? Why do you feel the counter the good things with the bad ones if you're really just interested in truth and not just being malicious? Doesn't that make it obvious you just want the bad to take precedence? Why is this simple subject so difficult for you to understand?

There's no place on earth that has absolutely nothing good going for it. Is your country really the worst that you can't stand someone liking one thing about it? Why go out of your way to recruit haters for the country? Nigeria is a major player in the international market thanks to oil. Nigeria is a major exporter of human capital comparable to India and China, thanks to population. The country has a lot of local talents and business minded people carving niches for both locally and globally. The financial sector is the most prominent in the region. Nigeria has the largest army in West Africa. In medicine, the country has almost completely won the war against polio and has made major strides in recent times as slow as it may be. Nigeria has the highest number of tech startups in Africa. In fact, the tech industry in Lagos has become a reoccurring subject here in the West. The entertainment industry is one to reckon with.

But guess what, it doesn't even matter cause like I said, this is not about the good and bad of Nigeria but about letting people who have something good to say about the nation say it without raining on thier parade at if it only pleases you to hear the bad things. You are free to write about our issues, but if you bring it up as a way suppressing the one good thing someone said, then you're just being malicious. If someone says they like one thing or the other about the country, why would you cloud that statement by listing all the bad things in the country? Even if it's something as basic as the country's landscape, why not just let the person like it? I'm sorry, but only a witch would do that and try to justify it as expression of concern.

1 Like

Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by nnamdi640: 12:46am On Jun 11, 2023
etrange:

I did not say people are not facing hell in Nigeria. Listing all the issues in Nigeria has no bearing on the premise of this conversation. So stop gaslighting. Stop creating new argument lines just to have something to hang on to. This is not a conversation of whether Nigeria is hard or not but rather a conversation of how we react when someone says something good about the country. If someone says there's no constant power supply in Nigeria, you acknowledge it cause it's true. When they say the food is good or that they had a good experience at the embassy, why not also just acknowledge it cause it's true? Why do you feel the counter the good things with the bad ones if you're really just interested in truth and not just being malicious? Doesn't that make it obvious you just want the bad to take precedence? Why is this simple subject so difficult for you to understand?

There's no place on earth that has absolutely nothing good going for it. Is your country really the worst that you can't stand someone liking one thing about it? Why go out of your way to recruit haters for the country? Nigeria is a major player in the international market thanks to oil. Nigeria is a major exporter of human capital comparable to India and China, thanks to population. The country has a lot of local talents and business minded people carving niches for both locally and globally. The financial sector is the most prominent in the region. Nigeria has the largest army in West Africa. In medicine, the country has almost completely won the war against polio and has made major strides in recent times as slow as it may be. Nigeria has the highest number of tech startups in Africa. In fact, the tech industry in Lagos has become a reoccurring subject here in the West. The entertainment industry is one to reckon with.

But guess what, it doesn't even matter cause like I said, this is not about the good and bad of Nigeria but about letting people who have something good to say about the nation say it without raining on thier parade at if it only pleases you to hear the bad things. You are free to write about our issues, but if you bring it up as a way suppressing the one good thing someone said, then you're just being malicious. If someone says they like one thing or the other about the country, why would you cloud that statement by listing all the bad things in the country? Even if it's something as basic as the country's landscape, why not just let the person like it? I'm sorry, but only a witch would do that and try to justify it as expression of concern.
I just laughed at the achievements you mentioned, largest army in West Africa indeed, maybe you are referring to under- equipped army, army that only knows how to intimidate citizens. What the guy that oppose the main guy said is not far from the truth, maybe the guy praising the embassy is not aware of what he is getting himself into, that is why someone needs to educate him before regretting it, truly any embassy that won't stress you in order to enter their country is a bad signal on what you will expect and I believe people like him should be educated in order not to regret it at last

The guy that opposes the main guy is trying to warn the guy ahead of time and that is how we should do when we see people going on a wrong path.

1 Like

Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by etrange: 2:09am On Jun 11, 2023
nnamdi640:
I just laughed at the achievements you mentioned, largest army in West Africa indeed, maybe you are referring to under- equipped army, army that only knows how to intimidate citizens. What the guy that oppose the main guy said is not far from the truth, maybe the guy praising the embassy is not aware of what he is getting himself into, that is why someone needs to educate him before regretting it, truly any embassy that won't stress you in order to enter their country is a bad signal on what you will expect and I believe people like him should be educated in order not to regret it at last

The guy that opposes the main guy is trying to warn the guy ahead of time and that is how we should do when we see people going on a wrong path.

That's why I didn't want to degenerate the conversation into the achievements of Nigeria cause I can tell you're eager to deviate into frivolous arguments about the achievements of the country. You clearly left the tech startups to focus on that one thing you think is arguable, the military. Doesn't that make it obvious you're not seeking the whole truth but only trying to highlight the negatives? I made it clear in my post that it does not even matter if you agree with those achievements or not, even if it's just the food the guy praised, what why not let him praise it?

Nigeria has embassies all over the world. We've had people who complain that obtaining the Nigerian visa is a big issue. It's either there's no stamp or someone's wants to get bribed. And even when you pay, it takes months. So if this particular guy got his without issues, what's bad in acknowledging that one good thing out of the many bad things? If a genuine decent foreigner getting his Nigerian visa without hassles is a bad signal, does it mean those who got thiers after numerous hurdles had good signals? UAE visa is issued to any decent traveler in a matter of days and the application is online. Is this also a bad signal? I get my UK visa without issues all the time, perhaps that's a bad signal too?

Oh.. so he did it out of love for the white man? Maybe he should go to heaven where there are no issues, right? So the commenter himself that thrived in Nigeria, got educated and found his footing despite the hellish nature of the country isn't evident that the place is survivable? So the Chinese and other foreign organizations in Nigeria that are thriving despite the hellish nature of the country are not evident enough? The foreigners that enter and leave the country everyday are nothing to judge by? You think anyone would take thier bad and travel to a place without researching the place? For all he knew, the man could be a tourist passing through the country. Just tell me, how does telling him the country is hell add value? How do you choose a moment when someone says something good about your country to detail the bad things and then turn around to say you care about the truth or that you're expressing concerns?

How do you even begin to justify standing at the gate of your country telling potential investors and tourists that your country is hell? You think they didn't do thier research before coming? You think they've never been to worse places? You're so concerned about the poor state of the nation that you decided to chase away investors by concously demarketing the country? Which country has ever moved forward that way? Doesn't that make you a big part of the problem? Honestly, your thought process eludes me.

1 Like

Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by nnamdi640: 3:52am On Jun 11, 2023
etrange:

That's why I didn't want to degenerate the conversation into the achievements of Nigeria cause I can tell you're eager to deviate into frivolous arguments about the achievements of the country. You clearly left the tech startups to focus on that one thing you think is arguable, the military. Doesn't that make it obvious you're not seeking the whole truth but only trying to highlight the negatives? I made it clear in my post that it does not even matter if you agree with those achievements or not, even if it's just the food the guy praised, what why not let him praise it?

Nigeria has embassies all over the world. We've had people who complain that obtaining the Nigerian visa is a big issue. It's either there's no stamp or someone's wants to get bribed. And even when you pay, it takes months. So if this particular guy got his without issues, what's bad in acknowledging that one good thing out of the many bad things? If a genuine decent foreigner getting his Nigerian visa without hassles is a bad signal, does it mean those who got thiers after numerous hurdles had good signals? UAE visa is issued to any decent traveler in a matter of days and the application is online. Is this also a bad signal? I get my UK visa without issues all the time, perhaps that's a bad signal too?

Oh.. so he did it out of love for the white man? Maybe he should go to heaven where there are no issues, right? So the commenter himself that thrived in Nigeria, got educated and found his footing despite the hellish nature of the country isn't evident that the place is survivable? So the Chinese and other foreign organizations in Nigeria that are thriving despite the hellish nature of the country are not evident enough? The foreigners that enter and leave the country everyday are nothing to judge by? You think anyone would take thier bad and travel to a place without researching the place? For all he knew, the man could be a tourist passing through the country. Just tell me, how does telling him the country is hell add value? How do you choose a moment when someone says something good about your country to detail the bad things and then turn around to say you care about the truth or that you're expressing concerns?

How do you even begin to justify standing at the gate of your country telling potential investors and tourists that your country is hell? You think they didn't do thier research before coming? You think they've never been to worse places? You're so concerned about the poor state of the nation that you decided to chase away investors by concously demarketing the country? Which country has ever moved forward that way? Doesn't that make you a big part of the problem? Honestly, your thought process eludes me.
Whether you like it or not, you can't stop people from expressing their feelings towards their own countries even when the matter at hand is about the good side of the country. The situation of things in this country has made people to lose hope and are ready to express their feelings anywhere, you don't argue about something you can't change.

1 Like

Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by etrange: 4:19am On Jun 11, 2023
nnamdi640:
Whether you like it or not, you can't stop people from expressing their feelings towards their own countries even when the matter at hand is about the good side of the country. The situation of things in this country has made people to lose hope and are ready to express their feelings anywhere, you don't argue about something you can't change.

And I have not stopped anyone from expressing themselves. You can hang on to that all you like, but anyone that has read our conversation up to thus point can tell that was never the bone of contention. When someone find something to appreciate about Nigeria despite all the issues we have, you don't have to go out of your way to rain on thier parade. When you do that, you aren't just expressing yourself but deliberately making sure nothing good is ever said about the country. That's witchcraft. Nobody who really cares about the country would do that.

1 Like

Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by nnamdi640: 4:32am On Jun 11, 2023
etrange:

And I have not stopped anyone from expressing themselves. You can hang on to that all you like, but anyone that has read our conversation up to thus point can tell that was never the bone of contention. When someone find something to appreciate about Nigeria despite all the issues we have, you don't have to go out of your way to rain on thier parade. When you do that, you aren't just expressing yourself but deliberately making sure nothing good is ever said about the country. That's witchcraft. Nobody who really cares about the country would do that.
Am sure you don't know the meaning of witchcraft or you watch too much of Nigeria films before you left the country. The guy might be wrong doesn't mean he is a witchcraft, you are accusing the guy for expressing his feelings about his country forgetting that majority of you guys out there do things worst than what the guy has done through your actions and this things brings disgrace to the country everyday, you can also say it is witchcraft.

1 Like

Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by etrange: 5:44am On Jun 11, 2023
nnamdi640:
Am sure you don't know the meaning of witchcraft or you watch too much of Nigeria films before you left the country. The guy might be wrong doesn't mean he is a witchcraft, you are accusing the guy for expressing his feelings about his country forgetting that majority of you guys out there do things worst than what the guy has done through your actions and this things brings disgrace to the country everyday, you can also say it is witchcraft.

Are you gonna make the conversation about the meaning of witchcraft now? There's really no limit to your cherry-picking, sir. You can keep burying your head in the sand (and please, don't tell me there no sand where you are cause sand here, just like witchcraft in my last comment, is figurative). The guy was wrong, short and simple. That's literally all there is to be said.

You can't bait me into creating a new goal post by accusing Nigerians in diaspora. You found out I'm outside the country and you've been working hard to put me in a position where I'd be defending Nigerians abroad instead of reiterating my point. Well, that's not going to work because I don't have a herd mentality. I might live abroad but that doesn't mean I'm obliged to defend Nigerians abroad. I might disagree with you on the subject of this thread, but that doesn't I'm going to stand on the other side of every subject you bring up. I don't have a herd. But most importantly, I don't have undirected or scopeless arguments. So if you want to talk about the actions of Nigerians in diaspora and how it might have brought shame to the country, we can have that as a different conversation. But I'm won't let you muddle up this one with it cause of the actions of Nigerians abroad doesn't justify a thing here.

1 Like

Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by nnamdi640: 10:04am On Jun 11, 2023
etrange:

Are you gonna make the conversation about the meaning of witchcraft now? There's really no limit to your cherry-picking, sir. You can keep burying your head in the sand (and please, don't tell me there no sand where you are cause sand here, just like witchcraft in my last comment, is figurative). The guy was wrong, short and simple. That's literally all there is to be said.

You can't bait me into creating a new goal post by accusing Nigerians in diaspora. You found out I'm outside the country and you've been working hard to put me in a position where I'd be defending Nigerians abroad instead of reiterating my point. Well, that's not going to work because I don't have a herd mentality. I might live abroad but that doesn't mean I'm obliged to defend Nigerians abroad. I might disagree with you on the subject of this thread, but that doesn't I'm going to stand on the other side of every subject you bring up. I don't have a herd. But most importantly, I don't have undirected or scopeless arguments. So if you want to talk about the actions of Nigerians in diaspora and how it might have brought shame to the country, we can have that as a different conversation. But I'm won't let you muddle up this one with it cause of the actions of Nigerians abroad doesn't justify a thing here.
Your figurative is totally wrong. Again, you can say whatever you want to say, the fact still remains that many Nigerians have lost hope and are ready to state the fact and also ready to express their feelings towards any matter that have to do with the country whether good or bad. Yes, the white guy said something positive about the country and you expect someone that is having a negative feelings towards the country based on experience should keep quiet or what, for your information, this country has become the enemy of majority of her citizens. Maybe, you can tell me what you expected the second person that wanted to express his feelings should have done.

1 Like

Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by Pengician(m): 10:08am On Jun 11, 2023
Most citizens are tired and sick of this nation.
Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by etrange: 2:14pm On Jun 11, 2023
nnamdi640:
Your figurative is totally wrong. Again, you can say whatever you want to say, the fact still remains that many Nigerians have lost hope and are ready to state the fact and also ready to express their feelings towards any matter that have to do with the country whether good or bad. Yes, the white guy said something positive about the country and you expect someone that is having a negative feelings towards the country based on experience should keep quiet or what, for your information, this country has become the enemy of majority of her citizens. Maybe, you can tell me what you expected the second person that wanted to express his feelings should have done.

There's no hard rule for metaphors, dude. Figurative is whatever I say it is in the context of my write-up and/or my demography and it's valid provided the figurative word is comparable to what it represents. In mine, witchcraft figuratively means "intended to hurt or antagonize" and if you can't draw that obvious comparison, that's your problem. Like, I said, I'm not about to chase shadow with you.

Now, back to the topic. You say "the country has failed" as if there's a separate entity called Nigeria other than the people, leaders and followers alike. Again, I did not say you should not express your feelings. You can express yourself, but let other people express themselves too without feeling the need to muddle it up. When you see something bad, express it. When you see something good, express it. That's how honesty works. Anything other than this is antagonistic. When you go around with the sole purpose of shutting down anyone that has something nice to say about Nigeria, then you are part of the problem. When you go around chasing away tourists and businessmen, then you're failing the country yourself. You can't keep complaining that the country isn't progressing when all you do is to make things worse with your little actions.

1 Like

Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by nnamdi640: 3:38pm On Jun 11, 2023
etrange:

There's no hard rule for metaphors, dude. Figurative is whatever I say it is in the context of my write-up and/or my demography and it's valid provided the figurative word is comparable to what it represents. In mine, witchcraft figuratively means "intended to hurt or antagonize" and if you can't draw that obvious comparison, that's your problem. Like, I said, I'm not about to chase shadow with you.

Now, back to the topic. You say "the country has failed" as if there's a separate entity called Nigeria other than the people, leaders and followers alike. Again, I did not say you should not express your feelings. You can express yourself, but let other people express themselves too without feeling the need to muddle it up. When you see something bad, express it. When you see something good, express it. That's how honesty works. Anything other than this is antagonistic. When you go around with the sole purpose of shutting down anyone that has something nice to say about Nigeria, then you are part of the problem. When you go around chasing away tourists and businessmen, then you're failing the country yourself. You can't keep complaining that the country isn't progressing when all you do is to make things worse with your little actions.
I said the country has made some of her citizens her enemies and yes there are separate entities that render this country useless as a result of their embezzlement and lack of doing the right things and those entities are the so called leaders, saying that those stating the fact based on the situation of things in the country are adding to the problem that is already there doesn't add up. Beside, what happened to the present investors in the country, have they changed the situation of things, the problem in the country is beyond investors, no matter the number of investors that entered the country, that won't stop the problem, this is because thesame entities will not allow things to work.

1 Like

Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by etrange: 5:36pm On Jun 11, 2023
nnamdi640:
I said the country has made some of her citizens her enemies and yes there are separate entities that render this country useless as a result of their embezzlement and lack of doing the right things and those entities are the so called leaders, saying that those stating the fact based on the situation of things in the country are adding to the problem that is already there doesn't add up. Beside, what happened to the present investors in the country, have they changed the situation of things, the problem in the country is beyond investors, no matter the number of investors that entered the country, that won't stop the problem, this is because thesame entities will not allow things to work.

Facts? So what the white man said wasn't also fact? See, I can discuss the problems of Nigeria, the causes and how investors could help. But as far this conversation is concerned, the point is not about stating facts, but about deliberately using your facts to overshadow other facts because you want only a certain category of facts to have the focus. Anyone really interested in facts will not do that. It's only someone who wants only the negative narratives to enjoy the light of the day that would do that. And yes, such a person is part of the problem. You can't possibly tell me the leaders embezzling money are the only problem when in your comment earlier, you called out abroad based Nigerians for bringing shame to the country. It's your words against you.

1 Like

Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by 1Sharon(f): 5:47pm On Jun 11, 2023
When he comes through the borders at the airports, he'll know how far.

1 Like

Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by nnamdi640: 6:06pm On Jun 11, 2023
etrange:

Facts? So what the white man said wasn't also fact? See, I can discuss the problems of Nigeria, the causes and how investors could help. But as far this conversation is concerned, the point is not about stating facts, but about deliberately using your facts to overshadow other facts because you want only a certain category of facts to have the focus. Anyone really interested in facts will not do that. It's only someone who wants only the negative narratives to enjoy the light of the day that would do that. And yes, such a person is part of the problem. You can't possibly tell me the leaders embezzling money are the only problem when in your comment earlier, you called out abroad based Nigerians for bringing shame to the country. It's your words against you.
Bringing disgrace to a country or speaking bad about a country won't stop a country from becoming great and is never a problem to a country that wants to be great, the main problem of any country is bad leadership. Once the leaders are doing the right thing, you will see that the negative thinking of people towards that same country will start fading away. I only use that case study as a reference based on your condemnation towards the second person

1 Like

Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by etrange: 3:59am On Jun 13, 2023
nnamdi640:
Bringing disgrace to a country or speaking bad about a country won't stop a country from becoming great and is never a problem to a country that wants to be great, the main problem of any country is bad leadership. Once the leaders are doing the right thing, you will see that the negative thinking of people towards that same country will start fading away. I only use that case study as a reference based on your condemnation towards the second person

Oh... okay. It feels good to know that the shame you accused us of bringing to Nigeria is not part of the problem of the country. However, the topic here is that someone who goes around shutting down any good comment or feeling another person (foreigner or local) has about Nigeria does not have the best interest of the country at heart and cannot be referred to as a truth speaker even if they employ alternative truths to achieve thier goal. A truth speaker acknowledges the good and the bad regardless of how minute, negligible or inconsequential that might be.

1 Like

Re: A White Man Talking About His Nigeria Visa by nnamdi640: 6:32am On Jun 13, 2023
etrange:

Oh... okay. It feels good to know that the shame you accused us of bringing to Nigeria is not part of the problem of the country. However, the topic here is that someone who goes around shutting down any good comment or feeling another person (foreigner or local) has about Nigeria does not have the best interest of the country at heart and cannot be referred to as a truth speaker even if they employ alternative truths to achieve thier goal. A truth speaker acknowledges the good and the bad regardless of how minute, negligible or inconsequential that might be.
Whether the second person is a truth speaker or not, the fact still remains that you can't stop people from expressing their feelings towards their country irrespect of the matter discussed. Again, you don't expect someone that has lost hope in a country to start showing interest.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The University Of Portsmouth Is Visiting Nigeria In April, 2009 / 2008/2009 Oduduwa Scholarship Out / How Do You Overcome The Guilt From Cheating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.